• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
When I take space and my opponent flees to the top platform instead of the sides of the stage I don't really have any idea how to pressure them without clearly giving up the center. Lasers from the side platform or full jumping to the top platform don't really seem to pressure them and I don't want to just sit on the center and wait for them to collect themselves and wiggle their way back to neutral. I don't really have this problem with side platforms because if they run away from me they're still stuck by the edge.
I feel like I should have some sort of advantage in this position but it feels just the opponent can make the position neutral without too much hassle.

CK Momentum

Smash Apprentice
When I take space and my opponent flees to the top platform instead of the sides of the stage I don't really have any idea how to pressure them without clearly giving up the center. Lasers from the side platform or full jumping to the top platform don't really seem to pressure them and I don't want to just sit on the center and wait for them to collect themselves and wiggle their way back to neutral. I don't really have this problem with side platforms because if they run away from me they're still stuck by the edge.
I feel like I should have some sort of advantage in this position but it feels just the opponent can make the position neutral without too much hassle.
If you know they are going to land on the top platform, try wavelanding the top platform and shining or grabbing, but make sure u space their get up attack cos that will hurt u. You can also jump then shine underneath to see what they will do, then waveland on drill or something. Just be patient and try to get them to do soething stupid whilst they are on the top platform. Its the fashionable thing to do.

Edit: The bottom line is u gotta get to where they are gonna be safely. A perfect example of htis is like okay, you're pressuring peach and she DI's ur attack to the top platform. My research has shown that 99.17% of all peaches downsmash the platform the instant they land there, so you stand underneath and like idk short hop a bunch of times, then she dsmashes, and you can drilll shine > shine her off the top or something. Shining off the top is in this season too. But remember, you have to start uairing off the top if they are too high, or if it's past labor day or something.

Bones0

Smash Legend
What character is jumping to the top platform, and how? The only chars I really see doing this are Fox and Falcon, and really, if you have them pinned by the ledge, you should easily be able to stop them from getting to the top platform on reaction with a FH/DJ --> bair/dair. I feel like every other character gets punished really easily whenever they try to get above Falco. His vertical game is just so fast and brutal with shine and dair combinations.

D

Deleted member

Doubles sets are up so far
I think you played really well actually. w/e that's worth coming from me. you definitely played around m2k correctly though.

edit: except this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T7Lzaqbbi0&t=19m36s

I don't think you could have done anything about the first 60 damage, but messing up that interrupt save from peach cost him the entire stock and I think you had a much better chance to win that match in particular if that hadn't happened.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ideally, you want those lasers to lead to something. If the lasers stop the opponent then you can go to the top platform and attack/pressure with better accuracy. If the opponent moves away then you can run off laser from the platform and still regain the center just fine.

Alternatively, you can FH shenanigans/empty SH to spaced DJ aerial/laser to attack the opponent for going high.

This is something I'm also working on as well(it's important to keep aerial pressure going after successful ground pressure) so I'm glad you asked about it. =)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
critique get?
I'm only a little into the silly kyle set, but your punishes need work. Also you need to be more aware of your advantageous situations(particularly when you have stage) and maintain them/turn them into hits. Silly Kyle rolled into you and you stood still and Dair'd late @ 0:25.

Work Bairs and Dairs to edgeguard.

Your tech is also off.

Punishes involving Dairs at low %s in particular need more work. Learn to abuse platforms in combos so you can get higher to follow up on Peach from a Dair that she could ordinarily float out of. This may be related to tech skill though but it never hurts to emphasize anyway.
3:27- Don't roll away from that. Either uptilt that or RSHL slightly going backward to completely stay safe and keep peach suspended without her float or double jump to save her.

edit @ unknown: I only watched GFs, but I found it interesting how much better you did when you abused platforms and FHs kinda like Fox than staying grounded like Falco likes to do in singles. Do you have any idea why that might be? I think part of the success of the tactic in that set is because you were mostly fighting against Peach, but there may be more to it than that.

CK Momentum

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i had to work incredibly hard at ROM4 to even move against you. I'm working really hard on making my tech consistent so that when I play at apex my character is doing exactly what my brain is thinking. Once I get past this execution barrier I'll be decent at smash until then I'll make exploitable and punishable mistakes.

Thanks for that video btw about playing Daigo and whatever edit: ( human potential ). It was pretty fashionable. Also that guy is AMAZING at SF2.

Bones0

Smash Legend
You will all be able to witness the sexiness that is my shield dropping at Apex. I will have a booth where you can get in line. The fee should be no more than $10 a game, so feel free to get in more than one against me!

unknown522

Some guy
edit @ unknown: I only watched GFs, but I found it interesting how much better you did when you abused platforms and FHs kinda like Fox than staying grounded like Falco likes to do in singles. Do you have any idea why that might be? I think part of the success of the tactic in that set is because you were mostly fighting against Peach, but there may be more to it than that.
yeah, you got it exactly right. Our strat was for KK to go after m2k, while I build damage on DoH. Then if I hadn't killed DoH by the time he hit 150%, then it was KK's job to hit him with one f-air/u-air.

Also, DoH was really predictable and threw out d-smashes after almost every action (I was really tempted to do that charge d-smash gimmick), so it made it easier for me to jump over and punish. Because of knowing this, I was really disappointed + disgusted that we lost. I'm just glad that he doesn't play like that in singles, otherwise I'd be further disappointed.

Can't even lie.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
He likes to powershield to downsmash and is decent at the tactic so that may have had something to do with it.

You seemed like you did fine and KK seemed to lose his stocks first except for that last game iirc. I suppose he had a harder job though so maybe a different strategy would have been necessary, I dunno.

Not sure how Falco could have supported better than what you did though(aside from the occasional missed save but some of those were tough calls).

unknown522

Some guy
agreed, he is really good at the PS -> d-smash. I played a lot of friendlies with him because I waited for like 2 hours to play m2k in WFs.

The last game was mostly my fault. I played really reckless, because I was determined to try and save KK, but in turn I got massively combo'd on 2 separate stocks, though I know I could've played safer and prevented it from happening. I think that hurt me the most knowing about it as it actually happened.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Kevin, play M2K in Sheik dittos and then tell me how easy it is to hold stocks against him. Mmkay?

edit: I am bad at staying alive, though.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
since m2k has a lot of individual talent and teamwork ability to work with, you could simply have unknown(fox or falco) fight doh and you could help him out/wall out m2k on the side rather than fully engaging him.

or unknown could fight m2k with falco and you could back him up/wall out doh, since peach is easy enough to wall out and m2k doesn't like fighting falco

that's all I can think of atm haha.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Speaking of $10/game booths, I remember when whoever it was flew bombsoldier over for... I think it was Pound 2, and was like well we can't actually pay for this so let's charge $10 a game and I was all WHAT THE **** THATS ********
because I was like 15
and now I'm all
thats a totally legit donation to play a legend

being an adult is weird

D

Deleted member

Tell us a strategy you ****ing scrub <3
a team with m2k is basically m2k's teammate + DON'T GO NEAR THAT EDGE.

so... don't go near that edge. doing a 2 vs 1 on doh would have forced him to approach/save him, and sheik's approach still kinda sucks. i was under the impression that it was your job to encourage m2k to edge camp to negate his skill as long as possible. was i wrong?

edit: splitting the match in 2 1 vs 1s with unknown going for m2k would have been an AWFUL decision. sorry kevin but thats a horrible idea.

unknown522

Some guy
^ I think myself going after m2k would've been fine. I can handle him at the edge pretty well (much easier with falco though, compared to with fox).

oh yeah, I forgot to post yesterday that when I was watching a bunch of sets, I saw that Rubyiris kinda ****ed up silly kyle.

Good work.

Top Bottom