• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Pound* V Melee Results and Shoutouts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HugS™

Smash Lord
2004-2006 - Ken Era

(MLG 2006 - PC Chris Era)

2006-2008 - Mew2King Era

2008-2010 - Mango Era

2011 - 201? - Dr. PeePee Era? If he wins Genesis 2, it shall be written.
M2k's era only lasted for 1 year, when not in that year, he was trading wins with KDJ, and the other two members of the "trifecta of gay" (PC, Chu, M2k) who won tournaments interchangeably up until EVO 2k7

I think Hbox deserves a little mini era post Mango since he was completely dominant during the period that non-trying Mango was still the best.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Also Congrats to Hbox for making third while being food poisoned. Shout outs bein made :p

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
95-02 - dragonball z on toonami era

03-06 - torrenting naruto era

07 - tengen toppa gurren lagann

HugS™

Smash Lord
i'm goin in.

just be secure and if someone is too insecure to judge you because your community is lame then that's their problem. don't be so cali.

it's for sure a shaking my head moment but it's still pretty funny because of the fact it was impromptu and just built momentum to a full chorus.

whether or not i would have joined in singing i'm not sure. i would say no sitting at home but who really knows in the moment haha. the fact is why should you worry about whether or not people think you get laid and don't smell haha.

i think it's funny that you want us to move up a tier or something in Video Game Tournaments. Like hey we can be the COOL guys who play video games. It is what it is. plus we play smash bros. i don't think anyone will ever get past the aesthetics of how it's a kid's game anyways....they haven't yet..... it's just a video game and no one is gonna think you're a pro athlete. Or maybe they will someday but you shouldn't be concerned what others think imo.
We have two entirely different philosophies here. I care a lot about this community and I've been an active voice within it for a very long time. I've put in my share of work to nurture it into a respectable community. Also, I still see potential in it to become far bigger than it is now.

So it's not my own image I'm concerned about, I'm concerned about the community as a whole. If I see something ******** going down to take away from what the community has grown to be, then I speak up. I go nuts on Brawl kids when they muck up what we built all the time, if it makes you feel better LOL.

We can argue about the minimal effect of this, and it is minimal. It's not a huge deal. But neither is my post saying how lame it was LOL. I mean, I'm not gonna go totally nuts about it, I'm just letting you all know that it was ****ing ******** and embarrassing LOL.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
shoutouts later, but big 4 for the moment:
plank, superb job, it was difficult dealing with the amount of talent/regions with pools, and people aren't going to be happy, but you did it pretty well.

vectorman/godismyrock/reneblade/redd/moose/eclipsing binary and everyone else who was recording and assisted with the stream you guys are the backbone of this community. i'm from the DC++ era, and i know how instant gratification everyone is, but take a breather, and be a player as well as a contributor while you can.

hungrybox, you showed a lot of fortitude doing this sick. shows the talent, ability, and mind you have to be able to pull it off. you're always gracious, and a pleasure. wherever you go will be brighter with you there, juan.

wife, when i first started watching videos, your commentary was like john madden, but only good. having the opportunity to sit alongside you in some pivotal sets and bounce insight back and forth was a dream come true. and that date on rainbow cruise, anytime <3

retirement is good.

[scientology]

Papero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paperio
Okay so

2001-2004 - Ancient Era (Caveman, Rob$, etc.)

2004-2006 - Ken Era (The Coming of Marth)

(2006-2006) - PC Chris Era (The Coming of Falco)

2006-2007 - Trifecta of Gay Era (The Great {tier} War)

2007-2008 - Mew2King Era (The Coming of Fox and Sheik, Second Coming of Marth)

2008-2010 - Mango Era (The Coming of Puff, Second Coming of Falco)

(2010-2010) - HungryBox Era (Second Coming of Puff)

2011 - Dr. Peepee Era (Third Coming of Falco)

2000-3999 - Isai Era (The Coming of Falcon)

HugS™

Smash Lord
Okay so

2001-2004 Ancient Era (Caveman, Rob$, etc.)

2007-2008 - Mew2King Era (The Coming of Fox and Sheik, Second Coming of Marth)

(2010-2010) - HungryBox Era (Second Coming of Puff)

2000-3999 - Isai Era (The Coming of Falcon)
2001-2004 Ancient Era (Crystal City, Norcal - Matt Deezie, Sam, Recipherus)

EVO World 2k7 - West Coast Strikes back :)

2007-2008 - Mew2King Era (The Coming of Fox, Second Coming of Marth)

(2010-2010) - HungryBox Era (Second Coming of the Puff)

2000-3999 - Isai Era (The Coming of Falcons)

Fixed :)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
We have two entirely different philosophies here. I care a lot about this community and I've been an active voice within it for a very long time. I've put in my share of work to nurture it into a respectable community. Also, I still see potential in it to become far bigger than it is now.

So it's not my own image I'm concerned about, I'm concerned about the community as a whole. If I see something ******** going down to take away from what the community has grown to be, then I speak up. I go nuts on Brawl kids when they muck up what we built all the time, if it makes you feel better LOL.

We can argue about the minimal effect of this, and it is minimal. It's not a huge deal. But neither is my post saying how lame it was LOL. I mean, I'm not gonna go totally nuts about it, I'm just letting you all know that it was ****ing ******** and embarrassing LOL.
Hmmm, maybe some of us can't help being lame. But we don't care. We show our selves as who we really are, that is what matters. To some people image doesn't really matter, to some it does. I thought it was funny. Sure it may have been a bit corny but I'm sure I woulda done it myself if I felt like it. Plus, I <3 the Pokemon Move soundtracks. I'm 21, i'm a kid at heart.

Sadly I don't think you can contain the spirits of the smash community to a professional manner, if they don't want to, or if they just can't hold it. Plus, aren't there already teens within the smash community? It would make sense if they acted their age.

But I see good intentions from your post. But I also saw good intentions from the community, singing a kiddy song to support their PP. :] (They made a connection with Pika, but sadly didn't make this connection with Hbox, and I don't know about Taj)

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
showing yourself as you really are is a nice moral for PBS shows, but in real life you have to present a nice, cleaned-up version of yourself to the world, and HugS is saying the community failed to do that. He's right. Whether or not that matter is another story that i don't particularly care about.

Anyway I wasn't gonna post at all, but it's pretty inherently embarrassing that our best players' name is "Dr. PeePee," since we're on the subject. he's a great guy and a great player but... kinda disingenuous.

anyway, congrats to the **** doctor! fun tourney, I wish I could have stayed through monday :(

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Pretty sure Peepee has said so himself that he doesn't really like his tag but it stuck and now he can't really change it xD

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
being yourself is one of the most important things in life lol we don't play smash to look like professionals we play it to have fun. We're not putting on a show for big wigs or something anyways this was a grass roots (inter)national tourney where everyone came to show their support for the game. i honestly don't understand what's up everyone's *** about the best theme song of all time LOL

not to mention we play a game with mario, pikachu, and link in it ffs how is anyone gonna take us seriously anyways

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Spam_arrows, He won ROM3 not ROM2 right?
ROM3 and it's fixed

being yourself is one of the most important things in life lol we don't play smash to look like professionals we play it to have fun. We're not putting on a show for big wigs or something anyways this was a grass roots (inter)national tourney where everyone came to show their support for the game. i honestly don't understand what's up everyone's *** about the best theme song of all time LOL

not to mention we play a game with mario, pikachu, and link in it ffs how is anyone gonna take us seriously anyways
I've always felt this way tbh. Melee is like high school. It's only serious if you are in it.

people outside will poke fun at it because from the outside looking it it looks pretty stupid but to those who are involved it's the most very serious business.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wait... so HugS agrees with me?

Legit.

PeePee gets an era for having the name PeePee

WassupJB

Smash Lord
worst uploading order ever. very impressive vgbootcamp.

good quality videos though, props to ya there.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Indeed. Although I feel as though Hugs may have been speaking of intentions of helping the community grow and continue to strive. Meaning, getting good venues, having big pots before even paying, and stuff like that. If we didn't act serious, companies wouldn't take us serious.

I can understand that point, but it's not like we throw wrenches like monkeys. I'm pretty sure we act well enough.

But I do admit it is very hard to get a venue for a videogame tournament. It takes alot of work, and yet the person in charge could as easily cancel on you without notice...

Even so, I still would rather be myself then try to act fancy. I'll still help the community as much I can, holding tournies, advertising, Hyping them up, getting help, etc. As long as we keep giving, it'll still be there, regardless if we act corny or not.

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
What if throwing wrenches 'like monkeys' ( I have never heard this expression and it confuses me. When do monkeys throw wrenches? why and how did they get said wrenches? ) was you being 'yourself'?

At that point would it be better to not be yourself?

For the record, I am neutral. I just found the monkey thing interesting. And I can't help but picture steam punk monkeys.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
What if throwing wrenches 'like monkeys' ( I have never heard this expression and it confuses me. When do monkeys throw wrenches? why and how did they get said wrenches? ) was you being 'yourself'?

At that point would it be better to not be yourself?

For the record, I am neutral. I just found the monkey thing interesting. And I can't help but picture steam punk monkeys.
I was reading into the situation.

Meaning like just being animals and doing stupid **** that would deny us from having good chances of having good things as a community. (Maybe, throwing a chair? Or, standing on a chair... which I have done lol, but it's pretty hard to watch a projector match without doing that... But plank kept us in check) Examples of good things: Being able to use that venue again, and other things that aren't coming to mind.

Another example, stealing Nachos from a stand in MLG. Ok, the community as done that. And has also stolen stuff occasionally. That, I would agree that should stop, but not "being myself" as in if I wanted to sing a song because that's what I like to do.

OH! I was thinking Monkey wrench... lol.

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
legit legit, I have a problem ( as you can look and see a page back ) of reading everything overly literally. I thought 'the sound of silence' was actually a peaceful song about someone having a pleasent dream first time i heard it. taking things too literally is annoying.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
man PeePee just won't leave u alone once he gets in!

good **** armada and PP

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Shoutouts

No Cash - Good **** man. I lent u that dolla for a money match cuz I wanted to see you play seriously. Anyways lets play sat to see how much we got better.

July - You were here in spirit! Muah :p

Vorosh - You were also here in spirit :3

John - Yo, you did well man. I hope you learned some tricks from prog, and that you got a good experience. Come to Talwinds this saturday and lets see how much you got better. I'm hyped I wanna play some more loool.

Rich - GOod stuff. I still suck at Brawl. Bleh. Lol, Diddy kong dittos are fun tho. : P Play Luigi in melee man! It's too good. I might just practice... But meh, my parents hate the clickity clack.

Pools -

Jpobs - Good stuff man. Was close haha. I thought I woulda had you second match. I messed up.

The Doug - Nice Shiek. I need to do better against her.

Marth player - Nice gimmicks man. I was gonna bair you but you tricked me fair and square.

Super Man - Nice Luigi. Hope to play you next time man.

Friendlies -

Apollo - I really like your Peach. I'd like to play you again. : D

Zone - Good stuff man. Need to play you again.

Shroomed - It was nice playing your doc and your shiek. I'mma ask you for advice mang.

Amsah - Man your shiek is tough. Lol at the phantom needles. I didn't notice that though, I still couldn't get back.

Strong Bad - Nice playing you man. : D

Unknown552 - Nice meeting you. I like your Peach. Hope you get more doc practice! : D

Raynex - Thanks for playing me. Fox is so tuff.

MooseEatsBear - Yo, we go about even now. Aim me so we can talk smash. : D Also, hope to see you at the next MAD.

Dtorr - Yeahhhhhhhhh omg it was a long time since I seen you man. Good stuff. Yeah, I play the exact same way as Diddy. I'll practice if I get a Wii. Anyways, it was like good ol times.

Action Bastrd - Hey, mm some time son. I'll **** you. : D

Uuaa - Good stuff man. I'm watching your set vs Lord HDL. It was pretty hype man. : D

Zoroooo - SUP MAN. Yeah, glad I got to play you again too. Good **** mang. I still need to get better.

NickNyte - I will take you on your pichu challenge next times :3

PROG - DUDE THX SO <3 MUCH for the ride home it was super cold and thx for the chicken I <3 and thx for the advice and thanks for the ride.

Renth - Nice meeting you man, it was fun playing you. : D

Vector Man - It would be very interesting to play you sometime. : D :3

joeplicate

Smash Master
hahaha about the whole pokemon song thing

personally, i think it's fine that it happened lol

the initiative to express yourself is one of the most important things in life.
if you're worried about 'getting laid' or other such matters, wouldn't it be more important to have the confidence to do what you want, and express yourself in the way that you like? where's the confidence at? positive energy like that is infectious.

i know if i was there, i for damn sure would've sang. :)

Ryuker

Smash Lord
I also wanted to say that I had no idea that the internet would be charged PER DEVICE rather than PER ROOM. The venue told me was that it I would NOT have internet unless I paid for it for the event for their absurd charge, they kind of omitted telling me that if people got the internet in their room they can use it in the venue. Sorry to the people who were mad about the livestream, had I have known that I would've planned differently.

I didn't even get internet for myself because I didn't even know that until just now. Assuming that's how v3ctorman got the stream working. I just saw $15 for internet for 24 hours and said **** that.
Not knowing that there was internet available after all is an honest mistake.

But when we did have a stream we we're told in the chat that the stream was only going to be for friendly's because vgbootcamp wanted to get more views on youtube. Do the views really raise such an income that it's worth not allowing the livestream for it?

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Hey everyone.

I'm about to prolly do one of my many shoutouts... knowing many of you prolly didn't get home yet.. and there were idk 300+ of you that I got to see/play/meet/greet etc.... This was my very first OoS tourney and also my first regional.. and must I say.. it was a blast...

Sadly.. my memory isn't the greatest and with 300+ of you... for this being my very first tournament... I really doubt Im gonna remember all of you sooooooo.......

plz anyone i've played/met/chatted with/etc... please let me know here.... via pm.. or post or something... por favor.. if you don't remember my face/what i looked like...

I was the "black" guy who wore sunglasses indoors/at night/everywhere XD.. :) if that doesn't help it was myself along with Redd who set up a stream Early Monday. :)

For this being my first tourney etc... I don't wanna miss anyone..so yeah plz ^^ lemme know etc... it'll help too if you tell me what "char" you played me with, if I played Yoshi/Falco/Mewtwo... if we went to get food or met up randomly.. lol anything.. I just wanna make sure I don't forget anyone ya know...

<3 the community

good stuff everyone ^^

EDIT: To the stream, yes It was me/redd/prog (im sure others when i left) relaying info... I was simply informed that VGBC had the "rights" to the stream" and that's what I told the stream.. Not sure what else was said cuz I had to leave for my matches.. but.. glad to hear we were able to get the stream later on for bracket matches etc..

Setting up the stream w/Redd cost me sleep.. Me and Redd didn't get any sleep at all (lmao) and we both had bracket matches to play.. XD.. but it was well worth it.. I don't think I could've played any better...it was just awesome to be a part of this event... <3

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I care a lot about this community and I've been an active voice within it for a very long time. I've put in my share of work to nurture it into a respectable community. Also, I still see potential in it to become far bigger than it is now.

Completely agree with HugS here. I wasn't there at P5 to witness this, but even at APEX when the crowd busted into the Pokemon song during EC vs WC crews I felt completely ****ing embarrassed for our community. What does someone on the outside who sees a sight like that think about our Melee scene? It's a similar kind of deal with commentary; terrible commentators should stay off the mic and those who represent our community well should get the job.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Somebody who was there, I won't say who, told me that during Grand Finals, the most gorgeous looking woman in the world (a stacked blonde asian) wandered into the venue. She had just gone for a jog and was dripping sweat. Her eyes instantly locked on Hugo. As she approached him, she pulled out a bottle of baby oil and was just about to ask for a sensual massage when the Pokemon song started up. She stopped suddenly, looked utterly disgusted and stormed out. Guys, this is serious business.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
^her loss pokemon ***** son

XD

/inb4 maturity related material, and lack there of.

><; honestly nothin wrong w/having some "youth" that's the problem with most people nowadays.. it's like they wanna completely rid of the "youth' they've used to have and ALL of us used to have that you know.. :)

On the earlier subject of... embarassing singing a pokemon song... most people that are not us (the gamer types) are going to see spending $$$ to travel out of state... go to a certain place/area to play a VIDEO GAME tournament to win $$$ in their eyes alone... that is also.... "embarassing" per se..and hey what do you know? ALOT of us do that/this... (hence this site) so that kinda destroys that argument too.... long story short... you're gonna get "judged" either way... so if people are gonna let someone's "judgement" determine on whether something is what you enjoy doing rather than... what isn't embarrassing...

Give me the Being called a nerd/geek while I have fun over... doing what is so called "cool" not embarrassing.. anyday of the week. :)

If her/him/people don't like you for who you are, and what you enjoy doing, why are you acquainted with them in the first place then? for reputation/popularity? please you live once, live it up. n_n; There's always will be people that have the same interest/likes of another that we will all eventually meet... Sure some waits are longer than others, but it's there. :)

just my thoughts... i'm sure most of you don't care/disagree/etc... i'm just saying

Gerbil

Smash Champion
While on the subject of embarrassment and nerds and whatnot...

When I got on the elevator to check out, a few people were in there going to the event right after #5. They're comments? "What was that thing they were having with all the nerds?" I swear I busted out laughing and they caught on that myself and Alpha were part of that. When we got off, they told us "Bye Geeks!"

My point? People know the stereotype regardless of what we do I suppose. It'd be extremely trying to change that image (though I'm not disagreeing with anyone here, my point is to simply note that people notice us simply because we play video games: yes I just repeated myself).

Aside from that,

I had a ****ing awesome time. I couldn't have asked for a better way to leave the community (more like lurk lol). It's been 5 years, I've hosted 5 tournaments, attended too many to count, and have seen and met some of the best people in the world. You guys are great. Maybe I'll do specific shoutouts later, but I got home like half an hour ago (we checked out last night at 7 PM lol) so I'm going to sleep first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom