• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Pound* V Melee Results and Shoutouts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scar

#HarveyDent
You say not going to be any prize money at this time... but like... will there ever be any prize money? If the prize money as of now is going to the venue (as it seems) that means there is just straight up no prize money... so like, where could it ever conceivably come from?
Is Plank saying he can't get the money to the prize winners at all or he can't get them the money now, but will find (or at least attempt to find) a way to get them the prize money in the future?
If he can find a way to print money I'm sure he'll pay out... but if that's the case then he's discovered a secret that's been kept from humanity for a very long time.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
If he can find a way to print money I'm sure he'll pay out... but if that's the case then he's discovered a secret that's been kept from humanity for a very long time.
I've got the templates if you've got the ink.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Plank had the best intentions in the world. He's run/helped run some of the greatest tournaments of all time. He made a mistake, and while I can't judge the people who actually won money and are upset, I think the community as a whole should support him. For those who are never going to see the dollars they earned it's up to them to take it up with him. But seriously, there's no reason to blow this up.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Plank had the best intentions in the world. He's run/helped run some of the greatest tournaments of all time. He made a mistake, and while I can't judge the people who actually won money and are upset, I think the community as a whole should support him. For those who are never going to see the dollars they earned it's up to them to take it up with him. But seriously, there's no reason to blow this up.
You should of came, payed for everything, then this incident. Im sure you'd complain for your food being too salty to eat

OverLade

Smash Hero
You should of came, payed for everything, then this incident. Im sure you'd complain for your food being too salty to eat
Like I said, I have no way of knowing what you guys are going through. Do you deserve your money? Hell yeah. What are you gonna do about it? I dont know, and that's up to you. My point is that this shouldn't turn into something personal against Plank (like what happens to a lot of TOs). If you wanna take Legal action then I dont blame you....

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Ally, suing him is literally a huge waste of time and money.

The legal costs would probably be at the very least, triple what you are owed.

Just be glad you got to play some awesome smash with some of the worlds best players.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
should've ≠ should of
should've = should have

and I am sorry, but as a TO you need to be prepared for something like this happening. This was not an unreasonably low turnout, I would say it was well within the range of expected entrants and the behavior with regards to rooms was well within the expectations one should have of smashers after all these years. There's really no reason this scenario should not have been accounted for when the organizers were figuring out how the tournament would work out financially.

Scar

#HarveyDent
and I am sorry, but as a TO you need to be prepared for something like this happening. This was not an unreasonably low turnout, I would say it was well within the range of expected entrants and the behavior with regards to rooms was well within the expectations one should have of smashers after all these years. There's really no reason this scenario should not have been accounted for when the organizers were figuring out how the tournament would work out financially.
And P.S. guys, this is coming from an acclaimed TO, Mogwai is the business.

Also idk if I'm alone here but I feel the worst for PP. He had some really legit wins and he really put his heart into those grand finals, and he deserved the win and he deserves the prize.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
This means Cheese won the most money at Pound 5.

What a finale. xD

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
looking into small claims court, it doesn't seem to be expensive or anything, i think people are overrating how much trouble legal action would be

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I just hope Jon is ok. I know him as a TO and as a friend and I know for a fact he tried everything he could to help out smashers.

At pound I remember a few smashers didn't have a place to stay and he offered rooms for them and helped them out. I am not saying he did not make a mistake but he is human and he was honest with us rather than anything close to shady.

I still enjoyed running this tournament with Plank and this was one of my fav experiences ever. I know, for those who won, its not much but thank you all for coming and showing why smash is so great.

MacD

Banned via Administration
I love plank and feel bad this happen, but you can't tell me he didn't think lots of rooms would get canceled in the end.

He told us reserve a room if you aren't sure and you can cancel it up till 24 hours in advance.

That might have been one of his biggest mistakes right there. :ohwell:

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Wow such ****ing bull****.

Don't host a tournament if your going to screw over the winners like this.

Wow..

john!

Smash Hero
coincidence that this happened at his last tournament?

at the very least i think that he should pay for the travel expenses of the people who won prize money, since they probably expected to make a profit from this tourney, and may have gone deep into their budget to make it here.

edit: yeah exactly like Armada said two posts down.

Armada

Smash Lord
=(.

I have already barrow money for Genesis from a friend (cause I expected money from Pound) so my money situation turned out from good to really bad =(.

Well Plank is a great guy and ofc i trust him but this was really bad news for me =/.

Scar

#HarveyDent
looking into small claims court, it doesn't seem to be expensive or anything, i think people are overrating how much trouble legal action would be
you're still missing the point

say you were supposed to win 1000 dollars from pound

you start a class action against plank

best case for you, you win

plank has 0 dollars and some assets maybe

plank can't repay you, there is no insurance to pay you, so even if you win the case and the judge says pay this guy 1000 dollars, plank can't pay you so you don't get any money. maybe he goes to jail but i don't think that's what anyone is really interested in.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Plank all you need to do is give me atleast $100. And i'll be satisfied.

If not then.... **** is hitting the fan.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed

plank can't repay you, there is no insurance to pay you, so even if you win the case and the judge says pay this guy 1000 dollars, plank can't pay you so you don't get any money. maybe he goes to jail but i don't think that's what anyone is really interested in.

Plank or no one ever said he had 0 dollars... He has a job I'm sure. It's just that he used other people's money to pay off his debts, when he should have used his money to pay off his debts.
Organizing tournaments is a business. Plank as the TO had control of everything from beginning to end, even before choosing a venue for the event. If it came down to relying on players reserving x amount of rooms, he should have either been prepared for what if the quota had not been met, or found a different venue. The costs to the venue are his debts, not the players who won money.

Now how we wants to go about these debts are his decision. Perhaps if he talked to each of the prize winners and explained the situation and asked to keep 50% of the winnings for now to help pay off the venue then hosted another tournament in a month or so to raise money to make up for everything that could have been a good solution. Instead Plank was pretty much no where for a couple weeks with people asking where their money was. After all of this we have Plank post a message pretty much saying... well I spent all of your money on it.

I certainly sympathize with the problem Plank is in, I just think he went about it in a very poor way.

DJRome

Smash Hero

court can follow u to ur work and deduct from your paycheck until it's paid off

also, idc what anyone says, but if plank is dumb enough to expect the best and not prepare for the worst, then he deserves to lose his money if things don't pan out. don't buy timeshare ffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom