• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Black and White (Spoiler Warning)

Wrath`

Smash Master
All right, there are a myriad of ways to find out the location of an image, but this isn't really the place to discuss that.

Anyway, at the rate this is going with basically everyone playing the game now, I'm going to feel so behind by the time the games actually come out. In fact, I already feel behind on everything.

I am not playing it either, but then again I looked more forward to the competitive side, but I am still stoked for the game. Come spring your waiting will be rewarded.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I am not playing it either, but then again I looked more forward to the competitive side, but I am still stoked for the game. Come spring your waiting will be rewarded.
Yeah, I imagine it will. I debated importing one of them and playing them early, but I think in the long run it'll be better to play it through for the first time on the actual DS and in English. I'm going to have enough trouble adjusting to the English names of the Pokémon as it is.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
playing one of the japanese games would be terribly confusing, and i'd probably end up using growl 30 times before i realized it was actually growl.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
That enemy trainer's skirt is shorter than-

Err, also, I can't see anything.

M.K

Level 55
To anyone that is playing the game currently and having trouble leveling up:

Actively seek out shaking patches of grass. Usually, most often, they hold
Tabunne
which give absolutely MASSIVE amounts of EXP. It's pretty much faster than random training. Right now I'm in
Yagurama Forest
and I can just run up and down the place looking for shaking grass.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Any trick to catching/finding a Moguryu? I want one D=
Dangoro are everywhere in this first cave, and I don't want one because you have to trade to evolve.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
To anyone that is playing the game currently and having trouble leveling up:

Actively seek out shaking patches of grass. Usually, most often, they hold
Tabunne
which give absolutely MASSIVE amounts of EXP. It's pretty much faster than random training. Right now I'm in
Yagurama Forest
and I can just run up and down the place looking for shaking grass.
What are spoilers? Anything relating the story and events in the game. This includes gym leaders and quests. If you want to discuss something of this nature it must be hidden within spoiler tags. Failure to do so may result in a warning or infraction.

What isn't a spoiler? The pokemon themselves. If you are importing or otherwise wish to remain blissfully unaware of the new pokemon DON'T COME IN HERE.
Is this right, or what?

M.K

Level 55
Any trick to catching/finding a Moguryu? I want one D=
Dangoro are everywhere in this first cave, and I don't want one because you have to trade to evolve.
Buy a bunch of repels and run around in the Groundwater Cave. As you run, you might see a circular patch of dust that looks like it's being "dug out". When you run into this patch, you have a 2/3 chance of finding an item, and a 1/3 chance of finding Moguryuu. I found one this way.

Is this right, or what?
Whatevz.

majora_787

Smash Hero
\The skirt's not really worse than Dawn's, plus she's wearing leggings. :/
...Yeeeaahh. <_< Leggings. Which automatically makes the length of the skirt not as big a deal.

But anyway, moving on... I already know I'm behind the game, since everyone is importing, emulating, imulating or emuporting or whatever.

I hope Pikmin 3 comes into my possession before Black & White come out, then I can be distracted and not feel so behind about it for a few months... ._.

The animated sprites are so awesome. xD really. And they seem to be more... distanced. Like, from smallest to largest. Maybe it's just me. This?

This is awesome.

When the english names come out sadly, I just know I'll get even farther behind while I attempt to relearn english. :laugh:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I'm not saying I like the length of the skirt, I just don't think it'll be changed.

Game Freak has always liked to show leg on their girls, anyway. >_> I'm pretty sure the "Lass" trainer class is called "Miniskirt" in Japan, lol.

rhan

Smash Hero

It's nothing special but I diq ride all the birds from each generation. Pidgeot has always been my favorite though. <3

It looks so pissed in the animation!

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone else noticed and found it amusing that Victini's shiny sprite is red, white, and blue? x3

Also:

HELLZ YES! :D

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
How's the grinding and random encounters in Black/White? This was the most annoyingly out of date function of pokemangz to me.

I could only play Heart Gold by turning off random encounters, setting encounter to B, and setting EXP to 2x via codes...

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Experience is scaled, so I believe that grinding is quite annoying.

Haven't played the game yet, though, so I don't know.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Well, what I meant was 'is it necessary?'

Are the random encounter rates similar to the previous games? Lower (please)? Higher?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Well, though the first time you go through the Elite Four you only barely fight Pokemon above level 50, I don't think that too much grinding is necessary. However, right after that, you get Pokemon in the 60s. So grinding would be useful there.

I'm not sure why you're hating on the random encounters; they allow you to get higher levels without as much inter-area grinding. Plus you can stop them with Repels (assuming your Pokemon is higher-leveled than the wild Pokemon in the area).

You do get a Lucky Egg fairly early on in-game, though, and that's sure to help.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
How to grind: Have an obscenely high leveled Pokemon on your team if you happen to have access to one. Now, level up with the rest of the lower level Pokemon on your team.

You'll find it to be much easier.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
God, it takes these guys at the most a week to translate a lot of the game already, yet GF takes 5 months to translate the game?
They also have to make sure that nothing will be offensive and that the text is localized (Japanese references that we won't get).

M.K

Level 55
The process of translating the game is not simply changing the text. The entire coding needs to be reformatted. Every character's speech in the game, whether it's important or not, needs to be monitored for discrepancies in English/Japanese translations. Dex entries, unit conversions, names, all of these need to be changed.

It's not simply "Buta-->Pig".

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
The process of translating the game is not simply changing the text. The entire coding needs to be reformatted. Every character's speech in the game, whether it's important or not, needs to be monitored for discrepancies in English/Japanese translations. Dex entries, unit conversions, names, all of these need to be changed.

It's not simply "Buta-->Pig".
I still find it difficult to believe that it takes over half of a year for this to happen.

And why would the coding need to be reformatted?

EDIT: Tomo Takino, any instance of English in a Japanese version is changed to French in the English versions as far as I know.

M.K

Level 55
I still find it difficult to believe that it takes over half of a year for this to happen.

And why would the coding need to be reformatted?

EDIT: Tomo Takino, any instance of English in a Japanese version is changed to French in the English versions as far as I know.
can't stand people who say translating shouldn't take that long. Put it this way: to do the White Dex entries of 156 new Pokemon took me ~8 hours. To get them up to a level I would consider game ready would take around double that time. They would then have to be read and approved by other people, making relevant changes/softenings for the more out there ones (Darumakka comes to mind). Then I'd also have to do Black dex entries, and the entries for the older Pokemon to. It would take at least a week of full time just to do the dex entries. Now, think about how much other text is in the game; dialogue, high-link missions, item descriptions, locations, attacks and so on. And because the translation needs to be consistent usually only 1 or 2 people work on a game from start to finish, maybe up to 5 at some points. You're looking at at least a month of full time work to do the game any justice. And then that also has to happen for French and Spanish for the countries neighboring the US, although this could happen simultaneously.

And you can't just copy+paste the English text over the Japanese ones and expect it to work, because it really doesn't. It needs to basically be remade and retested from scratch, except you've all-ready got art and design done. Not to mention that because the Japanese uses two versions of the script (phonetic and pictographic orthography), you'd have to go through and get rid of half of the lines of text as the distinction is not applicable to English.

Apart from that names of attacks, characters, Pokemon and items have to be localised and approved by legal and trademarked where applicable, which is no small task.

You then need to lock the game, manufacture, market and distribute the game and do it at a time when you're most likely to sell the most units. It's amazing this whole process only takes 6 months to do.

And you could say that localization should start earlier but, a) that's Nintendo's choice and b) they're unlikely to start work on an unfinished game, so they'd have to wait for work to finalize on the Japanese version (which, my guess is, is rather close to release). A world wide release would probably just push back the Japanese release and not bring the US release forward.

And if that's not good enough for you, go outside and ride your bike because seriously, this is not worth complaining over.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
The only argument that I'd never thought about is the consistency issue. I understand that it takes time to translate every scrap of text that's in the game, and definitely to a part where it's fine for English speakers, since the two languages work incredibly differently. Trademarking is annoying, and I can't imagine that "legalizing" it would be incredibly difficult.

The mechanical process does take time, sure, but that's the only one that can't really be fixed by having more people translating at a time.

Localizing, however, is an important process, and can make the game more enjoyable for players than if the game was just directly translated.

I dunno, it still seems dubious to me. But I suppose he knows what he's talking about.

Top Bottom