• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Black and White (WARNING: SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Isshu looks really amazing. I really hope that it's all new Pokes before the League like that rumour said.

Except Magikarp. Magikarp always has to be there.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Isshu looks really amazing. I really hope that it's all new Pokes before the League like that rumour said.

Except Magikarp. Magikarp always has to be there.
And fishermen with 6 Magikarp's that you can rebattle and they'll always be Magikarp's.

firelord767

Smash Apprentice
I don't see that AT ALL, however, I can't unsee a dinosaur skull in that pic.
Yoshi's island!

If Isshu is part of a giant Yoshi's Island, i will be soooo happy.

It's kinda a shame that we leave Magikarp behind. It's a stupid pokemon as a pokemon, but it's a defining part of the adventure. I wish they kept SOME classics. Of course, no tenticool, machop, geodude, pikachu, or zubat. The world's most annoying Pokemon.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Hihidaruma has Encourage, which boosts the power of his attacks but negates their secondary effects, right?

What happens when Hihidaruma uses Overheat? Overheat reaches 200 base power with STAB and is further boosted by Encourage and the Sp. Atk. drops are negated.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Hihidaruma has Encourage, which boosts the power of his attacks but negates their secondary effects, right?

What happens when Hihidaruma uses Overheat? Overheat reaches 200 base power with STAB and is further boosted by Encourage and the Sp. Atk. drops are negated.
I'm pretty sure it only works on positive secondary effects.

Either that, or Hihidaruma has mad low SpAtk.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Why has no one mentioned the new Serebii update yet.

Combo attacks in Doubles and Triples.

UberMario

Smash Master
Interesting, can anyone see one or more of the double combos from the anime (yeah yeah not very credible, etc. etc.) like Ice Aqua Jet, Flame Ice, or Thunder Armor being possiblities due to this?

Wrath`

Smash Master
I do not like the way the triple battles are evolving , it is starting to seem like an JRPG style with "Team combo" attacks, soon there will be limit breaks for all of your pokemon.

UberMario

Smash Master
Pokemon IS a JRPG to being with, and I thnk that combo attacks are a good idea to be honest, it makes your pokemon feel more like a team.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I do not like the way the triple battles are evolving , it is starting to seem like an JRPG style with "Team combo" attacks, soon there will be limit breaks for all of your pokemon.
I agree with this...it went from Double Battles, which were an interesting gameplay innovation, to Triple Battles, which seemed like just a gimmick expanding on Double Battles, and now we have all manner of differences between Triple Battles and any other kind of battle.

It still feels like a gimmick but they're adding so much to it that it just feels like another game in and of itself.

Triple Battles are the one aspect of Black and White so far that I'm not very fond of at all. With all luck they'll wind up doing what they did in Ruby and Sapphire and make them actually fairly rare -- although if it follows the same path that third gen took, they'll come back in the third game and throw in a ton of them.

Pokemon IS a JRPG to being with
JRPG means more than just "An RPG from Japan". There's generally a larger difference between the two.

Going by the general definition of a JRPG, Pokémon definitely isn't one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_video_game#Cultural_differences

pickle962

Smash Lord
I agree with this...it went from Double Battles, which were an interesting gameplay innovation, to Triple Battles, which seemed like just a gimmick expanding on Double Battles, and now we have all manner of differences between Triple Battles and any other kind of battle.

It still feels like a gimmick but they're adding so much to it that it just feels like another game in and of itself.

Triple Battles are the one aspect of Black and White so far that I'm not very fond of at all. With all luck they'll wind up doing what they did in Ruby and Sapphire and make them actually fairly rare -- although if it follows the same path that third gen took, they'll come back in the third game and throw in a ton of them.

JRPG means more than just "An RPG from Japan". There's generally a larger difference between the two.

Going by the general definition of a JRPG, Pokémon definitely isn't one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_video_game#Cultural_differences
I actually think the triple fights are a nice addition. It should lead to some interesting battles...

M.K

Level 55
I like the addition of Triple Battles ALOT, and I'm interested to see where this "Combination Attacks" goes. The few that were explicitly stated sound....balanced. I mean, taking two Pokemon combined to do the same thing as one Scary Face attack (Water + Grass Oath)....I just needa see how it evolves.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
They're making the game deeper and more interesting at the expense of some ideas being stale and a little gimmicky.

As long as things don't go overboard, I'm perfectly fine with that.

firelord767

Smash Apprentice
Wait, Bacon That Cooks Itself is getting Nitro Boost and Fire Oath? 2 signature moves? Has that been done before?

Of course, 2 generations from now, 10 other Pokemon will be able to learn it from Level Up or even a freaking TM.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Why does everything have to tie back into Smogon? Not trying to say this from a competitive standpoint but I'm sure triple battle simulators will pop up with due time anyway.

firelord767

Smash Apprentice
Think Pokemon will ever surpass having 100 TMs? That's entirely possible.
It's not exactly the same, but i never thought that the Pokemon count would top 400. Oops.

Pluvia said:
There will be a triple battle gym but Smogon wont have triples so who cares. This wont affect us.
For all we know, Triple Battles could be played more than singles over wireless. They might be fun as heck, and for whatever reason have more balance than singles, or something else crazy. I'll be playing my share.

flyin said:
I bet one of those won't really be a signature move (I'm betting on Fire Oath).
Nintendo did say that both were, but they have a history of making contradicting statements.

JOE!

Smash Hero
well who knows?

maybe they are really well done, and more fun than singles and gain a huge following.

we simply dont know enough yet.

This is the same argument as people in the 70's looking at the ad for that new George Lucas movie and calling it **** cus they liked Buck Rogers.

M.K

Level 55

Hey PokéJunglers! A PokéJungle visitor by the name of ‘OK’ has very kindly pointed out the presence of two other trainers in Dent’s Gym. Could it be that our first gym leader is in fact a team of three!?
Waiters. A Fire-type user, a Water-type user and their head waiter, Dent, A Grass-type user. Most likely each having only a single Pokémon.
In Ruby and Sapphire Tate and Liz were introduced as the first (and to date last) double battle Gym Leaders. So having more than one leader at once won’t be a new thing.
What this means has yet to be revealed but could be that Dent greets you in the beginning then you proceed to battle each leader with Dent being last. Or it could even be a triple battle~? Only time will tell!
MORE Evidence:

When I'm watching the video, when the gym is shown, the woman is saying 2 important words. karera (they) and kyoryoku (cooperate).maybe it is saying that there are 2 other gym leaders (besides dento) in sanyo city...

XACE-K

Smash Master
MORE Evidence
I believe this is true. lso if he joins Ash in the anime, he'd need someone to watch the gym when he's gone (aka the other 2 trainers).

And I believe this is fake. Smugleaf's final evo seems iffy to me (mainly because its face becomes white after being yellowish). Bacon's middle evo looks too big to be a middle evo (and it looks stupid to me, the final evo is cool). As for Wotter, I can't see the middle evo being blue and the final evo being some dog looking thing. But Serebii says it MIGHT be true.
http://serebii.net/index2.shtml

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Of course there's going to be a triple battle gym, it's been obvious since they revealed them to us.

I saw those evos on serebii too, they look pretty fake if you ask me, it just doesn't feel like a natural progression like all the other starter pokes take.

But if it is real I'm not getting that ugly fat thing that the Fire type turns into. Smugleaf ftw.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I believe this is true. lso if he joins Ash in the anime, he'd need someone to watch the gym when he's gone (aka the other 2 trainers).[/URL]
While I agree, you can't really use anime-based reasoning. Brock left his entire family to watch the Gym, Misty with her sisters. All of them are pure anime with no game-related ties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom