• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Monsters Inc. (The General Spriting Thread)

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I'd brawl you a couple matches but my wifi is bad (aka a lot of lag).

If your fine with lag then I'd play you, if not then I advise you don't play me XD

PS. It's not amazingly bad but it's not very good either.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I want to see a fusion of ...ho-oh and fearow
Yeah, no.

Read the OP. Or even the large, bold, red print at the top of it.

~request~
Make that Gardevoir pic I linked a page back Shiny form instead of Normal. (Good luck XD)
Erm...unless I'm misunderstanding the request, how is this spriting?

Closing Time!

It's up to firus, but since we have 20 requests (19 I think...) in the pending list I think closing would be a good move. I also have like 6 request to do and so does firus and zrky.

Unless anyone has any large objections, I'd be all for this.

Meh, not perfect, but OK.

This place perked up, no?
The sprite looks really nice, it's just that the prongs and Magikarp are in different perspectives so they don't look right stuck together.

If you guys ever need some help with requests here and there, I can always act as a part time. You might need it with the sudded # of electrivire requests.
It's a generous offer -- I don't think we need it now, but we'll definitely consider asking you for help if we ever really need you. I appreciate the offer.

It's bad >_< So Copy and Paste, doesn't look natural, why the heck is the flower growing out of it's face?
I know it's not as polished or anything as some other sprites, but I really don't think it's that bad. I mean, you don't normally complain about my sprites and I can tell you personally that 90% of them are 99% copy-paste. Not to mention, I know that scratching is all pro and everything, but if you can make copy-paste look good I don't see what's wrong with it. The two sprites of mine that have gotten the most acclaim have been entirely copy-paste, if I'm not mistaken -- Beedruicune and Sunsketty. Not to mention, he's a beginning spriter; you didn't even start scratching things so intensely that long ago. I think it's highly hypocritical and...mean to criticize a beginning spriter for using intense copy-paste. Not to mention I see Heatran's teeth edited, which looks like slight scratching unless I'm mistaken.

As for not looking natural, most of our sprites DON'T. We're mixing fictional animals with other fictional animals. I could point out a lot of sprites of ours that don't look natural that I still love.

And the flower is growing out of its head. There's an outline clearly separating the head from the face, and if you can't tell from that look at Heatran's original sprite and see where his head starts.

Given this comment from the Sprite Critique Thread

Good. No more posting your sprites in the CPS.
I'm beginning to think you're just bashing SpelignFial because it's not perfect and you're going back to your old complaints about others posting their sprites in TCPS. They can still post their sprites here. The rules are not changing. I'm sorry you're bothered by beginning spriters, and I don't understand why; you had a predisposition to think SpelignFial was being cocky or something. He just asked for help, and if I were him I'd probably have given up spriting by now. You've bashed him repeatedly. Rather than true sound advice, you just tell him how bad it is and unnatural it is, that it's copy-paste and everything wrong with it rather than anything right with it or just how he could improve nicely. You've been so discouraging, I almost admire him for persevering anyways.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I'm finding your attitude here offensive. This shop has NEVER been about pure skill. It's been about a fun community of spriters. I want people to be able to pick up spriting and get help if they want. There's no reason to give them a pat on the back and not tell them anything wrong, but there's no need to shove a knife in there either. There's constructive criticism and there's bashing. You're a good spriter, but that's no excuse to be a snob and want to avoid even having to LOOK AT beginning spriters' sprites.

Also, I don't think the main character in Mirror's Edge is attractive. Just thought I'd share that.
For a video game character, she is "fairly attractive", as I said. For someone in general, obviously not since she's just pixels.

EDIT: ****, Cinder got banned! I wonder why, and I hope it's not a permaban...Cinder is/was awesome.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I know it's not as polished or anything as some other sprites, but I really don't think it's that bad. I mean, you don't normally complain about my sprites and I can tell you personally that 90% of them are 99% copy-paste. Not to mention, I know that scratching is all pro and everything, but if you can make copy-paste look good I don't see what's wrong with it. The two sprites of mine that have gotten the most acclaim have been entirely copy-paste, if I'm not mistaken -- Beedruicune and Sunsketty. Not to mention, he's a beginning spriter; you didn't even start scratching things so intensely that long ago. I think it's highly hypocritical and...mean to criticize a beginning spriter for using intense copy-paste. Not to mention I see Heatran's teeth edited, which looks like slight scratching unless I'm mistaken.

As for not looking natural, most of our sprites DON'T. We're mixing fictional animals with other fictional animals. I could point out a lot of sprites of ours that don't look natural that I still love.

And the flower is growing out of its head. There's an outline clearly separating the head from the face, and if you can't tell from that look at Heatran's original sprite and see where his head starts.

I'm beginning to think you're just bashing SpelignFial because it's not perfect and you're going back to your old complaints about others posting their sprites in TCPS. They can still post their sprites here. The rules are not changing. I'm sorry you're bothered by beginning spriters, and I don't understand why; you had a predisposition to think SpelignFial was being cocky or something. He just asked for help, and if I were him I'd probably have given up spriting by now. You've bashed him repeatedly. Rather than true sound advice, you just tell him how bad it is and unnatural it is, that it's copy-paste and everything wrong with it rather than anything right with it or just how he could improve nicely. You've been so discouraging, I almost admire him for persevering anyways.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I'm finding your attitude here offensive. This shop has NEVER been about pure skill. It's been about a fun community of spriters. I want people to be able to pick up spriting and get help if they want. There's no reason to give them a pat on the back and not tell them anything wrong, but there's no need to shove a knife in there either. There's constructive criticism and there's bashing. You're a good spriter, but that's no excuse to be a snob and want to avoid even having to LOOK AT beginning spriters' sprites.

For a video game character, she is "fairly attractive", as I said. For someone in general, obviously not since she's just pixels.

EDIT: Damn, Cinder got banned! I wonder why, and I hope it's not a permaban...Cinder is/was awesome.
yah, Meta-Kirby, when I posted my first sprite, I would have liked to see less-negative comments :(. also the girl from Mirror's edge is pretty good looking. and I think Cinder isn't perma-banned. unfortunately, the Melee secret room made a bad choice on spamming this noob's profile for noobishly bashing one of our members. I got a 3 point infraction! but it goes away 2/5/09.

M.K

Level 55

0.o

I'm sorry if you find it offensive. I didn't mean that comment in the Critique Topic in an offensive way, and it was not directed to anyone in particular, it was more of a "yay happy revival" post. Shoulda worded it better I guess :dizzy:

I have not "bashed" anyone. I'm telling the truth from my perspective. If your girlfriend tells you that she likes your shirt, but your teacher tells you that he doesn't like your shirt, does that make him wrong OR right? Nope, just my opinion.

Yes, I'm harsh. Yes, I'm TOO harsh. I'll fix that :( It's just the way I was "brought up" to sprite. I know it's not the most effective, helpful, encouraging, self-prevailing, joyful, peaceful way of doing business, but it's the only way I know how. I can't just praise a sprite that I don't feel is "optimal" quality, because then it might just go to a spriter's head. I was brought up to congratulate and admire excellency. Yes, they are beginners, but how are they any different from us? We work with the same canvas and use the same tools (pretty much, right?) and we produce things that people feel are wonderful. What is stopping those who have just started? Lack of experience, yes, but also a lack/plethora of good and non-helpful
SpelignFial, I'm truly sorry if I caused you any discouragement, anger, sadness, or hostility towards your work. You have come A LONG way as a spriter, and I look forward to your work in the future..
I will still be critical, but not in a mean or hostile way.
So, I'm sorry everyone if I've been mean, please excuse it as a ill-reputable behavior of mine. I don't MEAN to be mean, but...I've seen some "things" go down for the people who are like "hey guys, look at my Mewtarzariozardchuarticunopuff. dont it be awesome-tastic?!!". When frankly, it looks like trash. I'm not saying your guys...guys's sprites (epic grammar fail) sprites look bad, but they can be much....much better, and I want to SEE that "better". Did you see how I praised A-Man when his sprites improved DRAMATICALLY over time? THATS the kind of dilligence that will snap me out of this "evil sprite dictator Mr. Meta-Kirby" mode, and you guys are getting there!
Yes, I'm the lowly 5th member of the **** shop, and I don't have much "say" or whatever, but dammit, I was one of the ONLY people posting new sprites for a while there! It was making me really, really angry. I know your situation Firus, and now, I can only hope you can overcome your procrastination and lack of self-motivation, but it is getting a little old now (and I'm sure you feel the same way, I don't Mean this in a bad way, I'm just stating that it isn't a reason to shun responsibility). We've had to close the shop...what? 3 times in the past 2 months?! WTF?! You gotta be kidding me, guys.
Yes, I'm using this post as a venting post. I'm probably sounding like some **** with his head up his ***, but bear with me.
Sigh, I don't even know (going into bipolar mode here). Unlike some people on this Smash World Forum, I have much, much, much more important things offline to worry about that are muy importante and VASTLY worth my while, yet how can I sustain my portion of sprites while the rest of you wither in the distance? I'm not sugar-coating anything, we have to start making more sprites before we get overloaded.
I love you guys, this shop is amazing. I don't want you guys to become so drenched in work that it becomes unmanageable and we close! That would, literally, break my soul. I dunno what the hell I would do with myself....

...I don't have anything else to say. I've said ALL that is on my mind. Please don't take this as an angry response. I'm not a snobby, arrogant, mean, or spiteful person, and I really wish I didn't portray myself like that ;__; It shouldn't be this way! I hate when I stir up this **** controversy. God ****, guys, I'm sorry as hell.

~Your Pal Meta~

Introducing: Slakplup.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Funny, but not so helpful. but can anyone (besides you) help me with the final steps. I get the clear image, but do I save it as the smae thing, or under a different name? and how does it work on the web?
As I recall, I TRIED to help you with your transparency problem. However, you totally blew me off. How can you say that Meta-Kirby did not try to help you, either? I don't understand your logic. It wasn't a joke either. Seriously, all you had to do was look at some of those guides and you would have had a basic idea. Like MK, I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to be literal.

MK has started me spriting from the very beginning. He was always extremely helpful and guiding. When one of my sprites was good, he said it was good and why. When one of them was bad, he said it was bad, I saw what I did wrong, fixed it, and moved on. Just a few days ago I messed up big time on a sprite. He said it was horrible.
"Oh noez?! Not every single one of my sprites are perfect in every way and someone is saying something other than "they're awesome"? WAAAAAAA."

NO.

I looked at it and realized it was bad. I moved on. End of story. I did a new sprite, it was better. Sometimes you have to realize that you'll get critique that isn't always what you want to hear. But a sprite's a sprite. The day will go on.

WOW, not in a bad way, but wow that was they interesting.

MK i don't want to be critical AT ALL, but to me cnc/criticism is more of a say what is good and then say what is bad or can be improved, im not making a generalization, but don't your diving coaches do that?
You shouldn't get rewarded for doing something your supposed to do. You don't get rewarded when you wake up on time and get an "A" on your worksheet. You're SUPPOSED to do that. No one's going to reward you for doing something that you're supposed to do. They're going to tell you what's wrong with it because it's already implied that you've done something right, they don't need to point it out. So no getting a cookie and a pat on the

zrky

Smash Lol'd
0.o

I'm sorry if you find it offensive. I didn't mean that comment in the Critique Topic in an offensive way, and it was not directed to anyone in particular, it was more of a "yay happy revival" post. Shoulda worded it better I guess :dizzy:

I have not "bashed" anyone. I'm telling the truth from my perspective. If your girlfriend tells you that she likes your shirt, but your teacher tells you that he doesn't like your shirt, does that make him wrong OR right? Nope, just my opinion.

Yes, I'm harsh. Yes, I'm TOO harsh. I'll fix that :( It's just the way I was "brought up" to sprite. I know it's not the most effective, helpful, encouraging, self-prevailing, joyful, peaceful way of doing business, but it's the only way I know how. I can't just praise a sprite that I don't feel is "optimal" quality, because then it might just go to a spriter's head. I was brought up to congratulate and admire excellency. Yes, they are beginners, but how are they any different from us? We work with the same canvas and use the same tools (pretty much, right?) and we produce things that people feel are wonderful. What is stopping those who have just started? Lack of experience, yes, but also a lack/plethora of good and non-helpful
SpelignFial, I'm truly sorry if I caused you any discouragement, anger, sadness, or hostility towards your work. You have come A LONG way as a spriter, and I look forward to your work in the future..
I will still be critical, but not in a mean or hostile way.
So, I'm sorry everyone if I've been mean, please excuse it as a ill-reputable behavior of mine. I don't MEAN to be mean, but...I've seen some "things" go down for the people who are like "hey guys, look at my Mewtarzariozardchuarticunopuff. dont it be awesome-tastic?!!". When frankly, it looks like trash. I'm not saying your guys...guys's sprites (epic grammar fail) sprites look bad, but they can be much....much better, and I want to SEE that "better". Did you see how I praised A-Man when his sprites improved DRAMATICALLY over time? THATS the kind of dilligence that will snap me out of this "evil sprite dictator Mr. Meta-Kirby" mode, and you guys are getting there!
Yes, I'm the lowly 5th member of the **** shop, and I don't have much "say" or whatever, but dammit, I was one of the ONLY people posting new sprites for a while there! It was making me really, really angry. I know your situation Firus, and now, I can only hope you can overcome your procrastination and lack of self-motivation, but it is getting a little old now (and I'm sure you feel the same way, I don't Mean this in a bad way, I'm just stating that it isn't a reason to shun responsibility). We've had to close the shop...what? 3 times in the past 2 months?! WTF?! You gotta be kidding me, guys.
Yes, I'm using this post as a venting post. I'm probably sounding like some **** with his head up his ***, but bear with me.
Sigh, I don't even know (going into bipolar mode here). Unlike some people on this Smash World Forum, I have much, much, much more important things offline to worry about that are muy importante and VASTLY worth my while, yet how can I sustain my portion of sprites while the rest of you wither in the distance? I'm not sugar-coating anything, we have to start making more sprites before we get overloaded.
I love you guys, this shop is amazing. I don't want you guys to become so drenched in work that it becomes unmanageable and we close! That would, literally, break my soul. I dunno what the hell I would do with myself....

...I don't have anything else to say. I've said ALL that is on my mind. Please don't take this as an angry response. I'm not a snobby, arrogant, mean, or spiteful person, and I really wish I didn't portray myself like that ;__; It shouldn't be this way! I hate when I stir up this **** controversy. God ****, guys, I'm sorry as hell.

~Your Pal Meta~

A_man, does this this slightly remind you of the G-flare/snucas case?

MK i don't want to be critical AT ALL, but to me cnc/criticism is more of a say what is good and then say what is bad or can be improved, im not making a generalization, but don't your diving coaches do that?

A_man13

Smash Master

A_man, does this this slightly remind you of the G-flare/snucas case?

A bit. That reminds me a bit more of Sgt. wikez vs. Everyone that wasn't me or better.

I'm actually fine with a bit more critical person. Sometimes we need that sort of stuff. You have, however, been a bit on the harsh side to some people. It snaps me into shape, but not everyone takes criticisim well (in some things, I sure dont)

And I just noticed your little thing about me in your speach. Thanks! :p

zrky

Smash Lol'd
You shouldn't get rewarded for doing something your supposed to do. You don't get rewarded when you wake up on time and get an "A" on your worksheet. You're SUPPOSED to do that. No one's going to reward you for doing something that you're supposed to do. They're going to tell you what's wrong with it because it's already implied that you've done something right, they don't need to point it out. So no getting a cookie and a pat on the
I never said to be rewarded, a pat on the back is VERy different from being rewarded. so that's my best analogy for this.

A_man, wasn't the Sgt. Wikez thing more of him and IDK and then other people got into it? (not me though)

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
I never said to be rewarded, a pat on the back is VERy different from being rewarded. so that's my best analogy for this.
Well that is a completely incorrect interpretation of what I was trying to say. I meant people shouldn't be all excited and happy when you do something that's not impressive. Don't get all mad when they don't get happy either. Just deal with it.

karthik_king

Smash Ace
Hes is trying to say you do not get rewarde for waking up you should do that but lets say you do something spectacular above what is expected then you do get rewarded but you must get criticized when you do someting sub-par

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
0.o

Sorry, just the way you worded it as not having any more sprites in TCPS sounded like you were happier about them being out of TCPS than the thread coming back.

The way you worded it was just kind of...mean. You were kind of short with him, and just quickly seemed to pass his sprite off as bad. The only help you really gave was that you didn't like the flower and he should do less copy-paste. It's fine if you say "It's bad, here's why and here's how you can improve", but just saying it's bad and bluntly saying things which come off like "What the hell were you thinking?" just...came off to me as bashing.

Then again, it's the internet...so I could very well have misinterpreted your post.

Yes, I'm harsh. Yes, I'm TOO harsh. I'll fix that :( It's just the way I was "brought up" to sprite. I know it's not the most effective, helpful, encouraging, self-prevailing, joyful, peaceful way of doing business, but it's the only way I know how. I can't just praise a sprite that I don't feel is "optimal" quality, because then it might just go to a spriter's head.
I know that's the way you were brought up spriting, and I don't mean to attack you since I know you're trying to work on it. I just picked up a lot of hostility towards SpelignFial -- again, I fail at interpretation and this is the internet, so it could be incorrect -- but it's what I picked up.

Also, I can understand not JUST complimenting them, but are you saying if a sprite isn't as good as it could be you won't compliment it at all? I think compliments are important. If there's something to compliment, that is. I'm not for patronizing, I think that's more counter-productive than anything. But if there's something to compliment, it helps to encourage someone. If you don't tell the person anything good time and again, they may think they're never going to improve and give up. This is coming from someone who's pessimistic enough to have done that a few times, but that's just my feeling.

I was brought up to congratulate and admire excellency. Yes, they are beginners, but how are they any different from us? We work with the same canvas and use the same tools (pretty much, right?) and we produce things that people feel are wonderful. What is stopping those who have just started? Lack of experience, yes, but also a lack/plethora of good and non-helpful
The difference is just that; experience. Would you trust someone straight out of medical school to perform open-heart surgery on you as much as someone who's been a doctor for 20 years? Unless you're an artist in general (like Spire is, and as such was able to pick up spriting very quickly), you're not going to have the same abilities going in. Without experience, you haven't perfected methods, you don't have a perfect eye for things, and you're not as familiar with the things you're working with. Your argument is compelling, and it's hard for me to say something exactly that will counter it, but it's because it seems common sense to me that someone who's just started out with spriting SHOULD NOT be expected to be as good. I think you're expecting too much.

You know how, many times in this shop, people have talked about scratching and how they're never going to get better at it unless they actually try it, including both you and me? This applies for spriting in general; practice makes perfect, and you can't expect Spire-quality work out of someone who just read a spriting tutorial and began spriting. That's just unfair to them. You don't have to give a different standard for how good their stuff has to be for it to be called "good", but you can't be upset because they're not scratching yet. Not only do they not have the skills yet, necessarily, but they may not have even thought about scratching.

I remember when I first got into spriting. I started out just placing the sprites on a background making random scenes (this was with Metroid Fusion sprites, in case anyone cares). That was fascinating and really fun for me. Eventually, though, while looking for backgrounds, I stumbled upon InSONICnia, the sprite comic, and saw everything done with that comic. That inspired me to start editing sprites. Once I learned how to recolor, I was, again, fascinated. Nowadays a recolor is all of 6 clicks and a few drags away. But back then, I was amazed and considered recoloring an entire sheet of Knuckles sprites, from Sonic Battle, to be quite a feat. Although it was definitely devalued once I found the massive shortcut for recoloring an entire sheet in all of 10 steps total. Then I started browsing the forums on The Mystical Forest Zone, the site hosting InSONICnia. I saw people talking about how simple recolors are and everything, and it wasn't a feat at all. So I moved on to actually editing. I came up with rough drafts of my Firus sprites, with merely Hyper Sonic's spikes attached to some Shadow sprites' heads, with the body recolored red instead of black. Eventually I furthered their quality, but not until later. I also attempted an all-custom fan character. That worked for about five seconds before I realized I needed some sort of a base and used base parts from a tutorial and edited them to make the sprite (I'd show you the sprites, but I don't have access to them at the moment. Just trust me, they suck.), which still only got me about 8 sprites before I stopped working on it and haven't continued my work on it since. And that was about 2 years ago. Then eventually I discovered Pokemon Fusions, and somehow learned how to do them.

Looking at my first sprite (the top-left most sprite on the large sheet of all of my sprites prior to the shop located in my Archives), it looks like crap with the flower attached to the head the way it is (the flower looks a little awkward on Heatran, but I think SpelignFial did a better job than I did with it on Meganium), and I didn't even edit out the piece of Sceptile's hand over part of the tail. It took me years and years to get to the point I am in spriting. So for someone to jump even straight to recoloring and then fusing seems large to me. Maybe the problem is that I just suck(ed), but I'm STILL not consistently doing a lot of scratching so I don't see why we should expect any more of BRAND NEW spriters. I should start scratching too, but every time I try it still looks like crap. I suppose at least I'm getting a little better, but not by much. Hell, at the rate I am in comparison to some of the non-shop members, even (like A_Man, for example) I'm not even sure I really belong in the sprite shop.

/long, boring, useless rant-story

I can understand the encouragement to get better there...and I know that the goal of being better is something great to strive for, I just can't help feeling like in their position, I'd end up dropping spriting. Which could just be me, since I fail at life and self-esteem.

I don't mean offense by this, but I think I'm just going to be open and honest about this...

I kind of wish you'd stop bringing this up. I know none of us have been as active as us, and I know it's not always just life interfering, it's also that we sometimes have other things we want to do before spriting, but still. I was the presiding spriter for the first two months or so the shop was open, and I remember sometimes wishing Spire, Bowser, and Mewter would help out some more because I was getting three or so sprites done a day while they were much less active. But I didn't say anything because I understood that not everyone had so little of a life as to work as much as I did (not saying this is true for you at all, but I seriously didn't have much of a life at the beginning of the shop's life...at all...). I'm not saying this as if I felt I was an angel and you should be doing the same, it's just...a lot of times, to me, it feels like you're rubbing it in. I'm sure you're not, but with your constant hints about how you're the only one working it feels like you're holding it over us, and I would LIKE to be as active as you are. I really would. But work comes first, and after enough work and stress I would much rather relax on my couch, talking with my friends on Xbox Live than sprite. I burned myself out on spriting by working as much as I did at the beginning of the shop. I think the only way I can truly get that fire and passion back is by taking a long enough break from spriting, but if I take a long enough break it would probably kill, or severely hurt, the shop, and I really don't want that.

I know I really don't have a legitimate excuse. My procrastination and **** clearly isn't going away anytime soon, as annoying as it is, so I just have to adapt. And I know that everyone else is stressed out too, and it doesn't completely stop everyone else. Nonetheless, I've felt completely overwhelmed for the last few months and...when I'm not working like crazy, I feel like I need to fully relax or I'm just going to explode.

If it's any consolation, I've started the Charmander/Squirtle Evolution line, but I'm not going to post up the sprites until I've finished the entire thing.

Also, the shop has only been closed once during the past two months. I know it seems like more, but it hasn't been any more.

No, it's fine. I know how much you need to rant sometimes, I could use a rant myself but I really don't know where to start...

~Your Pal Meta~
It's fine, I'm kind of sorry I brought it up in the first place now. I've just had a reaally crappy week and I'm about to have an equally crappy weekend. Isn't life grand.

MK has started me spriting from the very beginning. He was always extremely helpful and guiding. When one of my sprites was good, he said it was good and why. When one of them was bad, he said it was bad, I saw what I did wrong, fixed it, and moved on. Just a few days ago I messed up big time on a sprite. He said it was horrible.
"Oh noez?! Not every single one of my sprites are perfect in every way and someone is saying something other than "they're awesome"? WAAAAAAA."

NO.

I looked at it and realized it was bad. I moved on. End of story. I did a new sprite, it was better. Sometimes you have to realize that you'll get critique that isn't always what you want to hear. But a sprite's a sprite. The day will go on.
You know, some people find "YOU SUCK! GET BETTER!" encouraging, but I don't see the appeal in it. What MK says does have some merit to offer, but you seem to think that without being told how much you suck you're just going to get worse. I don't see why you need to be insulted to get better. It seems like there should be another way.

I think that by starting spriting, attempting spriting, and getting more than a Jigglyoclefairyman, you are doing more than "what you're supposed to do". That attitude just pisses me off. You're just "supposed" to pick up spriting and do well? Any less sucks, any more is bonus but anywhere on the line is just your duty? Ugh.

Not to mention that you don't have to reward someone or pat them on the back to not insult them. No one said that you should get a cookie for making an okay sprite. But, believe it or not, being told what you did RIGHT helps too. If someone tells you that it's good that you...say, scratched a part so it's to scale with the sprite you're fusing it with, you know to keep up that habit. Not to mention that encouragement is good. The good isn't "implied". As a beginning spriter you can't know what the hell you did right unless someone tells you. Everything doesn't have to be about what was wrong.

This isn't directed at what you do, MK, this is based on the concept he's presented. Just to avoid misunderstanding.

...Wow, wall o' text.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Harsh criticism is a REALLY bad thing. It destroys your will to want to continue, and seeing how they just started, that should never happen. Most of the intermediate spriters that look back at there old sprites realize how bad or decent they were (unless your name starts with "s" and ends with" e" and has the letters "ire" in the middle). At that time they will figure it out by themselves.

Take me for example, a lot of my beginning sprites were TERRIBLE. Just look at my archives. Though firus and spire never said they were bad. They actually said I was doing really good. I knew they were bad deep down but the compliments made me want to continue spriting. Thus, leading to what I am now, a decent/good/ok/whatever spriter.

P.S. I'm not saying that beginner spriters cant make amazing sprites. Just in case if someone interprets this that way.

A_man13

Smash Master
I find it amuzing that I'm mentioned in every wall of text up to this point.

MK, you could tone it down some bit. It feels like you either don't like begining spriters or you had some major event happen in your life that got you all fired up. As I stated I like criticisim, but you are just begining to cross the line to outright flaming.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Yeah lets put this behind us and all be friends. :)

I think this picture sums up whats happening in the thread right now.

(credit to bowser king for the image, I just stole it :p)

Anyways is the shop going to close Firus?

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I didn't notice A_man in every post 0_o

I don't want MK to feel bad at all, but I remeber, a couple months ago, MK did mention something that happened and is kinds sad, and right now (from what I've noticed) is that it kind of affected you, I mean you started being friendlier after that, but recently something might have sparked you again and yeah. Only reason I can talk is because my friend is going through the same thing and his way of dealing with it is having more dependence on me (idk why) and MK, your way of dealing with that is by just simply being more critical of an art that you seem to love.
/little paragraph on my phone

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Yeah lets put this behind us and all be friends. :)

I think this picture sums up whats happening in the thread right now.

(credit to bowser king for the image, I just stole it :p)

Anyways is the shop going to close Firus?
Lulz

I love using that picture :p

EDIT:Anyone up for a brawl? I'm really bored D:

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Agreed, the picture is full of win.

I would brawl you but I live in Australia. Why does everyone have to live so far away. :cry:

EDIT: We can give it a try though if you want, I'm really bored as well.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Agreed, the picture is full of win.

I would brawl you but I live in Australia. Why does everyone have to live so far away. :cry:

EDIT: We can give it a try though if you want, I'm really bored as well.
Sure, I'll add you :)

Wait one minute so I can get my FC for you.

EDIT: It's

2449-5523-3647

:)

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Add me BK so we can brawl XD, I'll add Lord Bowser, boy, with finals over, I'm much more active, that and I can finally keep my link to the void, infinite energy at my command! Boy stress does not help you at all..

Zook, you have still yet to add me, Are you online?

M.K

Level 55
Add me BK so we can brawl XD, I'll add Lord Bowser, boy, with finals over, I'm much more active, that and I can finally keep my link to the void, infinite energy at my command! Boy stress does not help you at all..

Ergh, Sorry Morphed, I've been really busy lately. I will add you tonight and maybe we can play over the weekend?

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
He couldn't tell from the number next to the 'Brawl Friend Code' in every single one of your posts?
I just added that after I told him my FC :p

Sure :)

I added you.

Ergh, Sorry Morphed, I've been really busy lately. I will add you tonight and maybe we can play over the weekend?
I think he meant me :p

He said BK not MK. Unless your just talking about a previous comment/post.

EDIT: We should hold a CPS mini-brawl tourney :D

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
BK needs to work on his ROB, Needs more ledgecamping and Nairs/Uairs XD
I don't main ROB XD

I was just trying to see who would be a good secondary for me :p

I'm thinking if I worked on ROB I could do pretty well.
Every other char I tried I did pretty bad. Maybe it would have been better if I practiced THEN faced you :p

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Maybe.

I'm good with pretty much every character, I just need to get better at Diddy, peach, and ICs, I can't Desynch ICs at all. Thats why I can main the random button and do really good XD.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Maybe.

I'm good with pretty much every character, I just need to get better at Diddy, peach, and ICs, I can't Desynch ICs at all. Thats why I can main the random button and do really good XD.
The only chars I'm good at are Bowser, PT, Lucario, Wolf and fox. None of which you faced because of me looking for another char to add on.

I don't play a lot of other characters beyond these 5 (hence the sucking :p). That's another reason why I'm trying to play other chars.

I'm also good at peach, snake, MK and Pikachu but when on wifi I get owned D:
Remember, that was only my 4th wifi match so I need to get used to it (though I'm doing better then before, just ask zook about my first match :p).

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Really? The only thing that Wifi sucks about is that its harder to punish due to extra frames and imput lag >.<
It's also hard to pull of a lot of things with chars like fox, wolf and bowser (from personal experience, I'm sure there are a lot of others).

Input lag and extra frames is annoying. When I tried to pull of a jab with boozer, lord bowser was able to start his fair before my 2nd jab came out -_-

Still, I prefer IRLB to Wifi anyday. I am no where near good or experienced online. Maybe after I get used to playing online I'll be able to say I'm good online :p

Darkslash

Smash Master
Thats great! Did you draw it? Sad thing, thats what a lurker looks like actually O.o.
Nooo.... Its an actual official Pokemon work. its from the Diamond and Pearl adventure manga. If any is also wondering...she's raised by team Galactic*Every one goes gasp I go YESH*

And if any wants here's the guy..

EDIT: Don't get mixed up with Special. In English its adventures for god knows why.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
unless your name starts with "s" and ends with" e" and has the letters "ire" in the middle
Who's "siree"? :p

Still, I prefer IRLB to Wifi anyday.
I prefer fun IRLB to Wifi or non-fun Brawl any day. In other words,

Play Melee.

But seriously, we've spent an entire page discussing Brawl...not really helping the shop.

Thats great! Did you draw it? Sad thing, thats what a lurker looks like actually O.o.
I could be mistaken, but I believe that's from a Pokemon manga (I was bored at Borders one day and read through the first of the D/P series). Correct me if I'm wrong, though, Darkslash. No offense to you, I just seem to recall seeing it before.

EDIT: And I am correct. I guess my memory serves me better than I thought.

Also, I just realized I forgot to do my Song of the Week on Tuesday this week. I'm sure nobody cares anyways, but I'll do it now because I can.

The City in the Sky from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Too epic. It's awesome by itself, but together with the environment it's just GORGEOUS.

Top Bottom