• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Monsters Inc. (The General Spriting Thread)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
So I discovered today (very possibly unoriginally) that all you have to do to make a higher quality looking sprite is to blur where different shades of the same color meet. Not a big deal, but I find it pretty entertaining and it can come out looking pretty cool.
Before and after:

I did those pretty carelessly so don't hate. :chuckle:
Did you do this through Photoshop? I'm pretty sure Paint.NET's built-in filters don't have very precise blur options. Maybe Gimp?

Tacel

Smash Lord
I used Photoshop Elements, but I'm pretty sure GIMP has a blurring tool that's decent. I've never used Paint.NET because I'm on a Mac.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Wow, that's actually a really nifty technique. I don't sprite much at all anymore, but I'll keep that in mind in the future. Makes for a very nice effect in the sprites.

Thanks for sharing your findings. :)

Spire

III
BRoomer
There's a sanctity to preserving the pixels, but this blurring effect is beautiful, adding a very subtle layer of realism to these cartoon monsters. Gengar looks fantastic.

Also: best gravedigging I've seen in a long time. Well, I guess this was only dead for a few months. Regardless, the CPS will live forever!

Top Bottom