• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Monsters Inc. (The General Spriting Thread)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Fine.

I ran into a request with my avi and it was a tough fusion; I had to scratch nearly everything. Whats worse is the fact that he wanted a dragonite base instead. :/
That seems like it was a tough combination to tackle, but you completed it awesomely if you ask me. Beautiful scratching. It kind of makes me think of what a baby Dragonite would look like if Dratini and Dragonair weren't his de-evolutions.

Objection.
You're doing it wrong!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Brawl noobs piss me off to no end.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Aww, c'mon Firus! Join the fun!
To me, that's like saying "Get in the water and stay dry!" =P

You would beat half of the poor saps around this place anyways.

I KID!!!!!
I think I'd lose the first match anyways, to be quite honest.

A_man13

Smash Master
May I perscribe Focusin, the drug proven to increase focus by 200%?

Anyways, I re-fused the sprites in reverse. The other one looks a bit more like a dragonite baby and this one looks like what dragonair should look like. It's copy pastish, but there really wasn't much to scratch:

And, for referance...

zrky

Smash Lol'd
CPS group guys, come on cerealy (yes new word)

Firus, have you ever tried staying dry in water, it's loads of fun! :bee:

A_man, those are nice, the bottom one is kinda cute, the top one is REALLy cool

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Anyways, I re-fused the sprites in reverse. The other one looks a bit more like a dragonite baby and this one looks like what dragonair should look like. It's copy pastish, but there really wasn't much to scratch:

It looks nice, I just have one issue with it; his backside just suddenly ends. I would either keep the tail there without the legs (although that might've looked awkward) or curved up the belly color so it comes to more of an end. Thinning it a little bit more at the end would also help it, I think. And maybe a darker outline there, because the outline is bright enough that if you don't look hard enough it almost looks like you just cropped off the tail without fixing it.

A_man13

Smash Master
It looks nice, I just have one issue with it; his backside just suddenly ends. I would either keep the tail there without the legs (although that might've looked awkward) or curved up the belly color so it comes to more of an end. Thinning it a little bit more at the end would also help it, I think. And maybe a darker outline.
I see it. Thank you for pointing that out. And the requester is happy, too.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I see it. Thank you for pointing that out. And the requester is happy, too.
No problem, I just wanted to give you a little bit of critique on it. The colors look really nice on Dragonite like that, so if you can fix it I think it'll look AWESOME.

M.K

Level 55
Interesting. That's a cool sprite.

Tried to fix it a bit. Also added a footed version:

Interesting! I like the color scheme and the idea. However, there is a SMALL outline error to the right of the left foot on the "footed" creature. Try to make that more rounded to suit the
sprite.
I also like the one with feet just a bit better, since the "clouds" in this sprite aren't acting as a masquerade or a cover that the feet "could" hide behind...if that makes sense? Maybe the feet could just be a TAD bigger? You can take other feet from other sprites (maybe a bigger bird, such as Fearow or Staraptor?)
Actually, now that I look at it a bit more closely, I feel that the wings are just a tad bit misplaced. If you were to follow the behind it's head, the wings would not connect in the center of the spine. I'm assuming the wings are one object, so move the "object" just....maybe 10-15 pixels to the right. Then it will be perfect.

Was I too harsh?! I really hope not :(

A_man13

Smash Master
Interesting! I like the color scheme and the idea. However, there is a SMALL outline error to the right of the left foot on the "footed" creature. Try to make that more rounded to suit the
sprite.
I get what you are saying. I just copy pasted from altaria so I really didn't pay close attention to that foot as much as the other. Lemme fix that one last time.

EDIT:

There we go.

EDIT: Wow, that was detailed. Aparantly I got my head to stuck in editing to notice.

I actually saved everything on one piece already and I'd have to redo tons in order to reverse and fix the wings and the feet.

M.K

Level 55
I get what you are saying. I just copy pasted from altaria so I really didn't pay close attention to that foot as much as the other. Lemme fix that one last time.

EDIT:

There we go.

EDIT: Wow, that was detailed. Aparantly I got my head to stuck in editing to notice.

I actually saved everything on one piece already and I'd have to redo tons in order to reverse and fix the wings and the feet.
Haha, I understand! I hate editing sprites after I have finished. Even the smallest detail takes alot of effort!
Your correction was noted at first sight*, so I applaud you for that:

was noted at first sight: When I notice your correction AS SOON as I look at the sprite, meaning it was a great correction that was identified and makes the sprite of a higher quality!

Just try to remember, for future sprites (you can see this common mistake in some of my earliest sprites as well), make sure that the wings/tail/extra features are positioned so that it looks like it is situated in the middle of the spine.

Since most, if not all Pokemon, are Bilaterally symmetrical, this will help to keep your sprite....natural.

And I don't mean "natural" as in you see it outside the school bus flying to Wal-Mart tomorrow morning. I mean it so that it looks like something that can breath and move on the land/in the sea without being hampered by other parts. I can explain this in further detail if you would like, but just think of it like a human. If you were chosen to place an extra arm on a human for ALL future generations of humans, would it make sense to situate it on a leg or on another arm? You gotta think logically and place it somewhere that still looks natural, yet is "perfect".

A_man13

Smash Master
Haha, I understand! I hate editing sprites after I have finished. Even the smallest detail takes alot of effort!
Your correction was noted at first sight*, so I applaud you for that:

was noted at first sight: When I notice your correction AS SOON as I look at the sprite, meaning it was a great correction that was identified and makes the sprite of a higher quality!
Yeah. Since I usually do all of my Copy paste work on a large document and copy onto a new file for saving and further edits, I loose the individual layers and just gain what is visable on one layer. I can still add stuff, but I can't move anything without going to the original. I was on edit 4 of the new document, so reverting wasn't an option.

Thanks. First request at the underground CPS is done!

Mewter

Smash Master
Fine.

I ran into a request with my avi and it was a tough fusion; I had to scratch nearly everything. Whats worse is the fact that he wanted a dragonite base instead. :/
Niiiiiiiice.
It looks really natural(seriously).
Good job. Thumbs up.

Perfect! Except for this and that! I love the design. It's pretty cool. I like it. Might want to change that. Other than that.../end paraphrase butchering:laugh:
Actually, you scared me with your kindness.
Go back to being harsh.:laugh:

A_man13

Smash Master
Niiiiiiiice.
It looks really natural(seriously).
Good job. Thumbs up.

Actually, you scared me with your kindness.
Go back to being harsh.:laugh:
Thanks.

NO! I like pleasently helpful MK. Now that I realize it, any kind of this can be improved statement helps me, so not having him flaming is nice.

EDIT: @ MK: I remember that being mentioned in science about almost all living things having bilateral symetry. I really don't do lots of sprites with wings on them, so this is a frankly new concept to me. I get what you are saying: Try and get each portion to be equally far from a point so that it looks symetrical and also correct in terms of anatamy. I have to keep that in mind, so thanks.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No, not at all. I didn't mean to make you feel so self-conscious about the whole thing, I felt you were harsh on SpelignFial but not really that much on anyone else recently that I can recall. Your critiques thus far have been really decent-tempered and helpful in my opinion.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Hey guys...
I'm back from Samoa and stuff...
Looks like everyone is steppin up there game sprite wise, can't wait to get back into it...

A_man13

Smash Master
Hey guys...
I'm back from Samoa and stuff...
Looks like everyone is steppin up there game sprite wise, can't wait to get back into it...
Now there are enough spriters to start an underground CPS. This place is going down :chuckle:

I kid and follow trends...

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
If only I could sprite as good as you guys, oh well ,I save my talents for Animations using Flash. If you guys want me to make you a flash video, just give me teh materials and tell me how you want it put together, I can even make music sigs (If those animations I see in signatures are .SWF)

I can also add hyperlinks, ext... I can even make a tiny game in a signature if its .SWF format, you decide, I'm open. And I'd love to do some animations for you guys, we're like one big happy family here in the CPS XD.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think animated .gifs are the only kind of animations you can put directly in a sig, but the offer is very generous and kind, MC.

And yeah, we really are like a family here. I'm more glad than you guys could ever imagine that I started this shop. I NEVER imagined it would become so awesome -- not because of us spriters alone, but because of you guys requesting, aspiring spriters, and the overall community we have here now. I just wish I could give back more to you guys than I've been lately, and I hope it'll change soon. Within the next month I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a HUGE weight lifted, two really stressful things in my life are going to finally pass, for better or for worse. Less stress doesn't necessarily mean more free time and less procrastination, but it's a **** good start.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
the 'community' in the PC seems to be very close, and has some trouble letting in new people.
Green, nice to see your back:)

Firus, or A_man, you guys use PS, so how do I get a perfect shape around a certain part, like a wing, or at least, how do you get transparencies.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
What do you mean a perfect shape around a certain part?

And as for transparency, use the eraser and change it to the Magic Eraser (the eraser icon with the little star thing by it). Just remember, change Tolerance to 0 and Anti-Alias unchecked. And if your background color is somewhere in your sprite, make sure contiguous is checked as well -- if it's not checked, it erases all pieces of that color anywhere.

Tolerance and Anti-Alias only have to be turned off for sprites, though. Tolerance is VERY useful if you've got, for example, a .jpeg which has distorted background colors. Instead of having to paintbrush over it or use paintbucket on little bits, you just set the Tolerance and play with it until it works to your satisfaction.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
yeah its good to be back... i laughed at how my sprite rescue thread disappeared :)
what a genius idea afterall :)

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Brawl is better then melee due to one thing.

Wario.

(and you can't argue that one :p)
Yes, yes I can. if I could choose any nintendo character to represent me, Wario would be top, just under 9-volt. When I played Brawl, I played as Wario. Roy's kool, but I think FE is so-so. So why do I play Melee? simple reason; it's more fun.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I'll brawl anyone, I've been practicing to get better with my REAL mains.

I also prefer melee to brawl. Heck, I still play more melee then brawl :0

I'm in for the tourney :)

-:bowser:Bowser King

Top Bottom