• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Monsters Inc. (The General Spriting Thread)

A_man13

Smash Master
I'm getting Guitar Hero World Tour for my Wii this Christmas >.> It'll be my first GH-esque game that I own. I'm excited to try it out.

Firus, does that mean you hate the Dance Dance Revolution Series O_O You best not hate the gawd of music games.
I hear the wii version got the highes ratings. You get mii freestyle mode, but you loose downloads and some graphical capabilites.

Now that you guys have me thinking GH, I might just get the PS3 warmed up and play a few songs. Nothing in particular, likely most of the encores; Crazy Train, Hotel California (the reason that swayed me to WT over RB2), Stranglehold, etc.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I hear the wii version got the highes ratings. You get mii freestyle mode, but you loose downloads and some graphical capabilites.

Now that you guys have me thinking GH, I might just get the PS3 warmed up and play a few songs. Nothing in particular, likely most of the encores; Crazy Train, Hotel California (the reason that swayed me to WT over RB2), Stranglehold, etc.
Only some DLC, not all. I had to sing eye of the tiger at gamestop cause this little punk wouldt give up the guitar.

Ugg, i have to wait till the big 25 before I can play it.

A_man13

Smash Master
Only some DLC, not all. I had to sing eye of the tiger at gamestop cause this little punk wouldt give up the guitar.

Ugg, i have to wait till the big 25 before I can play it.
Ouch. I can sing the songs 1/2 way on key (that is, if I knew the lyrics), but that still must be embarasing for the peace of the store when someone belts out "Eye of the tiger is the king of the fight" (or however it goes. I said I don't know lyrics well).

Thank you B-day within 20 days of Christmas allowing me to get the game then!

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Im laughing so hard you would never know that was funny darkslash, we need to come up with something short to call you..........

firus' rants are interesting and informational:)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
May I again propose the prospect of placing "/rant" in your signature?
Yeah, trust me -- it's going to happen. I just need to narrow down the candidates for lyrics to go in my new sig picture, and then I need to decide what the picture actually is...

That is true. I mainly play them since I like the music, but I find them not realistic as I believe you pointed out once. A good percentage of songs (at least for the guitar/bass portion) aren't holding your hand in two positions hitting 5 notes. On the real instrument, there are many positions that are used in addition to the 4-6 notes per fret. The drums and vocals are similar, but they are both not the full expiriance. And as you pointed out there are the ultra recognizable songs and the "Where in the world did this song come from" and dominant selection. I hardly recognized any of the songs before either looking them up online or having my mom/ dad point out "I know this one."
Yeah. There's one song that I know is in Guitar Hero (I don't remember which one) that I actually know but would definitely be one of those "WTF?" songs to most other people. Black Sheep by Sonata Arctica. I forget how I figured out that was in Guitar Hero, since I've only actually played it...no, I actually don't think I've ever played Guitar Hero. I only played Rock Band bass once. Because my friends forced me to.

No, wait. I played Guitar Hero: World Tour at my local FYE today for about five seconds. It was on Expert when I picked up the controller, so I kept failing. I went to pick a song and saw none that I actually felt like playing. To add onto it, I knew if I tried I would fail, and people kept walking past me saying "Wow, Guitar Hero!" (don't ask me why...), and was sure one of them would decide to stop and watch/wait until I was done, so I decided to just walk away before someone saw me epically fail.

Firus, does that mean you hate the Dance Dance Revolution Series O_O You best not hate the gawd of music games.
If I hate music games in general...wouldn't it make no sense if I didn't hate the god of music games?
Yes, I hate DDR. Which brings me to another point: except for really crappy music games *COUGHWiiMusicCOUGH*, you need to buy REALLY EXPENSIVE peripherals to play the games.

I had to sing eye of the tiger at gamestop cause this little punk wouldt give up the guitar.
Heh. I don't know why, but that's incredibly amusing.

firus' rants are interesting and informational:)
Yay, my rants serve some sort of purpose!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Okay, OP updated. If your request isn't there, you didn't follow the system.

M.K

Level 55
Dude, stop censor dodging. It just makes you look like one of those idiots who does it because they think it makes them look smarter. As a member of this shop, you shouldn't be talking like that in here.

And that Dry Bowser is old.
I don't care, really.

Well, I just found that Dry Bowser. Sorry for not reading your mind and seeing that you already had heard about it.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
read the OP on how to request
~request~ or"request" or <request> or something....

I think this is the post date-year where kennedy was assasinated if im correct....

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
ahem, skyler
No, anyone who didn't follow the system after it changed to '~REQUEST~'. Before that, there was too much confusion in the symbols so as long as there were symbols around it, I counted it. After the change, though, I didn't count ones that didn't follow the pattern.

read the OP on how to request
~request~ or"request" or <request> or something....

I think this is the post date-year where kennedy was assasinated if im correct....
No, I think he was complimenting my Jigglypuff with the FR/LG Female Trainer hat. By the way, thank you.

And yes, you are. That's not at all a morbid way to think.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Can't wait for zombie Dawn...

Actually i got a whole list. I don't really care on how long it will take actually. Just before New years may be a suitible dead line.

OMG it took me 1 minute to figured out that i put DEAD line. Ahh i'm terrible:laugh::bee::ohwell:

Zombie Lucas
Zombie May
Zombie Brendan
Zombie Leaf.

Red is too awesome to be a zombie :D

M.K

Level 55
Darkslash, Dawn's sprite is...really hard to work with.
Can someone else take this request
maybe zrky....or bowser....seriously...

A_man13

Smash Master
Yeah, trust me -- it's going to happen. I just need to narrow down the candidates for lyrics to go in my new sig picture, and then I need to decide what the picture actually is...

Yeah. There's one song that I know is in Guitar Hero (I don't remember which one) that I actually know but would definitely be one of those "WTF?" songs to most other people. Black Sheep by Sonata Arctica. I forget how I figured out that was in Guitar Hero, since I've only actually played it...no, I actually don't think I've ever played Guitar Hero. I only played Rock Band bass once. Because my friends forced me to.

No, wait. I played Guitar Hero: World Tour at my local FYE today for about five seconds. It was on Expert when I picked up the controller, so I kept failing. I went to pick a song and saw none that I actually felt like playing. To add onto it, I knew if I tried I would fail, and people kept walking past me saying "Wow, Guitar Hero!" (don't ask me why...), and was sure one of them would decide to stop and watch/wait until I was done, so I decided to just walk away before someone saw me epically fail.
Yeah, that's definetly one of those songs.

You kind of got the longer end of the stick. Rock band is widely considered a better all around band game. It has a better drum prehiprial, the highway is a lot easier to read, and a lot more realistic experiance overall (Flying on a chariot pulled by lion eagels strike you as "If I were in a band I'd play here"?).

World Tour is really selling out quite a bit. The guitar/ bass gameplay was fine alone, but for those ambitious drummers and vocalists out there (which I am neither of them) they would've likely chosen Rock Band over GH. What do they do but add a tacked on, buggy (and from what I've expirienced, an inferior) drum mode and gave it a microphone (which is fine, just nothing to write home about). GH even meddled on the guitar prehiprial by adding a couple features (which, though great ideas, make the gamplay much more buggy and ruins what could otherwise be what it does better then Rock Band) and the setlist; they have a ton of well known songs and a lot of clasic/ alternative rock over other generas. If you hate both, your out of luck.

I've had that happen whenever we stop by our local Best Buy. I'm always the kid who sits on one of those stools playing Hotel California until you either get bored or want to try another song. I don't mind it, I just don't like to be obsereved much (which is the exact reason I kind of fell out of playing music for a while; not wanting to be heard or seen doing it).

Man, you could say the sky is orange and I couldn't argue with you.

M.K

Level 55
But the sky isn't orange O_o

I don't know, I love DDR. I don't see how someone could neccesarily hate the game as opposed to not being good at it. I don't hate the Metroid series, I'm just not good at controlling Samus in the Prime (1, Echoes, and Corruption) series, so I choose not to play the games.
Are you just not good at it, or do you just find it frustrating to play? You can't really HATE it.
You can't blame the songs, because in reality, those songs that they include in DDR were MEANT to be danced to, however lame and gimmicky the song may be.
I'm a huge Japanese music fanatic, so I love most of the songs in DDR. I got it for Christmas one year, and I used to sweat to death playing it, but oh lord was it fun. Due to recent knee problems, I can't play DDR for any length of time any more, since the tendons in my leg would begin to throb.
It's not all just those "generic kawaii bunny hop hop" songs, either. DDR has included hits from this band called "Be4U" that are just so BA....like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RitbNKMpyE
It's one of my favorite songs. Isn't it great how I don't understand a word of what they are saying, yet I can relate to it so whole-heartedly? That's the beauty of great games like DDR, they introduce you to new concepts.
I agree that Rock Band and Guitar Hero are the new "best games evar" that inexperienced people would quickly cling to, but they are fun games, whether I know the music or not.
This became readily apparent when the first song I "clinged" to in Guitar Hero was none other than a "Techno-Rock" song entitled "Less Talk More Rokk" be Freezepop. It was a Guitar Hero song, yet it fit my genre of music, and introduced me to a great new band.
So you may hate the game, but you have to respect it for what it has done in the gaming universe.

/less inferior and probably wrong rant :(

A_man13

Smash Master
But the sky isn't orange O_o

I don't know, I love DDR. I don't see how someone could neccesarily hate the game as opposed to not being good at it. I don't hate the Metroid series, I'm just not good at controlling Samus in the Prime (1, Echoes, and Corruption) series, so I choose not to play the games.
Are you just not good at it, or do you just find it frustrating to play? You can't really HATE it.
You can't blame the songs, because in reality, those songs that they include in DDR were MEANT to be danced to, however lame and gimmicky the song may be.
I'm a huge Japanese music fanatic, so I love most of the songs in DDR. I got it for Christmas one year, and I used to sweat to death playing it, but oh lord was it fun. Due to recent knee problems, I can't play DDR for any length of time any more, since the tendons in my leg would begin to throb.
It's not all just those "generic kawaii bunny hop hop" songs, either. DDR has included hits from this band called "Be4U" that are just so BA....like this:
It's one of my favorite songs. Isn't it great how I don't understand a word of what they are saying, yet I can relate to it so whole-heartedly? That's the beauty of great games like DDR, they introduce you to new concepts.
I agree that Rock Band and Guitar Hero are the new "best games evar" that inexperienced people would quickly cling to, but they are fun games, whether I know the music or not.
This became readily apparent when the first song I "clinged" to in Guitar Hero was none other than a "Techno-Rock" song entitled "Less Talk More Rokk" be Freezepop. It was a Guitar Hero song, yet it fit my genre of music, and introduced me to a great new band.
So you may hate the game, but you have to respect it for what it has done in the gaming universe.

I so agree with that last part. I go in knowing a few songs and usually it's nothing more than hearing Crazy Train in the car while waiting for my brother's baseball games, but I come out having quite a few favorite songs. There were a bunch of songs that I passed off browsing as "Lame" or "Boring," but in game I fell in love with them. Now I actually play songs like Stranglehold (it's somewhat famous, but it was obscure to me) and Pull me Under over the songs I thought I was gonna play them two times (one for tomorow and one just for today) and then some.

And the sky is orange is technically right. I'm assuming you've never seen a sunset, no? It's sometimes is orange, therefore it can be orange, making the statement true.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Ill just say i suck at DDR, and am OK at GH. I don't like DDR because i can't play it, but I am always amazed at the people that do the songs backwards 0_o
GH is fun for me since I like most of the songs they put on there, RB seems like a cheap GH with better graphics, but it's like saying Super Mario Galaxy sucks because the graphics aren't as good as halo....

NO the sky is purple

A_man13

Smash Master
Reason? I'm sure being in a purple haze dosen't constitute the sky being purple.

The sky is also blue. It all depends on the angle of the sun and the rays refracting against bodies of water such as oceans, lakes, and rivers. /Nerdmoment

I feel you, Zrky. Course I can only do hard dificulty on a few songs. Can't suck much worse then that, IMO (unless you have never touched the game in your life, in which I hereby sentance you to a *slap*).

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
lolz.

You weren't active enough.

You got owned by teh Debate Hall clean up session.

(note that my name is still pink because I'm active in there).

M.K

Level 55
Well I sent a message to Crimson King. If we could get some decent topics in that place, I would be much more obliged to post there. -_-

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Lolwut?

You choose not to play Metroid because of the Prime games? Sheesh, MK. The best titles in the franchise are 2D. You ought to give those a try before you write off the franchise. It's fine if you don't like the games, I'm just aksing you to keep them on your radar until you've tried the 2D games, too.

Neither. I just dislike the concept. I suppose you can't really say I hate it, it's just not really my type of game.

I actually am a fan of Japanese music myself. It's always just so catchy. So that's not really my issue. My issue with the songs is an issue with Guitar Hero/Rock Band. Then again, my tastes are somewhat unorthodox, and I am not at all a fan of classic rock (I think a lot of it is overrated), so that might be why I dislike the songs so much.

Actually, that's just it. What happened to just playing games? Now you've got gimmicky things like GH, RB, and DDR. Sure they're fun, but so is Wii Fit to an extent. Then after a few hours unless you're really into the game, you get bored. And you've spent ~$100+ for the game and peripheral. I just see them as gimmicks. And they make some really stupid morons believe they can actually sing, or dance, or play guitar/bass/drums, when in fact these games are more likely to harm than help your skill in those areas. Not everyone thinks that, but it doesn't help its cause...

Sorry, I just don't like the concept. The same reason I dislike GTA. I'm sure it's fun. But I dislike the concept completely. I don't really want to steal cars, run people over, shoot people, etc. Like, I'll play some violent games, but that violent and law-breaking and it's just gratuitous.

You mean more inferior. Not saying it is inferior, because it really isn't, but in context I'm assuming you're saying your rant is worse than mine, and less inferior would mean it's less bad. Meaning it's better.

lolz.

You weren't active enough.

You got owned by teh Debate Hall clean up session.

(note that my name is still pink because I'm active in there).
No, no...I was a part of the Debate Hall cleanup session and MK wasn't on my list of people inactive for 3 weeks+...not by very much, though, so maybe CK still saw it fit to boot you. I don't know.

M.K

Level 55
Lolwut?

You choose not to play Metroid because of the Prime games? Sheesh, MK. The best titles in the franchise are 2D. You ought to give those a try before you write off the franchise. It's fine if you don't like the games, I'm just aksing you to keep them on your radar until you've tried the 2D games, too.
I know, I know, I should really try them. The whole "concept" intrigues me, and my experiences with Prime shouldn't generalize the series as a whole. I might try Fusion, is that a good title to start with?

Neither. I just dislike the concept. I suppose you can't really say I hate it, it's just not really my type of game.
I see, fair enough.

I actually am a fan of Japanese music myself. It's always just so catchy. So that's not really my issue. My issue with the songs is an issue with Guitar Hero/Rock Band. Then again, my tastes are somewhat unorthodox, and I am not at all a fan of classic rock (I think a lot of it is overrated), so that might be why I dislike the songs so much.
Agreed. My tastes in music aren't so straightforward, either, but the GH and RB producers are only trying to take advantage of the general American (Canadian?) teenager that listens to general, bland, rehashed music. I mean, have you heard that Kid Rock song that rips the entire beat off of Sweet Home Alabama? It makes me sick.

Actually, that's just it. What happened to just playing games? Now you've got gimmicky things like GH, RB, and DDR. Sure they're fun, but so is Wii Fit to an extent. Then after a few hours unless you're really into the game, you get bored. And you've spent ~$100+ for the game and peripheral. I just see them as gimmicks. And they make some really stupid morons believe they can actually sing, or dance, or play guitar/bass/drums, when in fact these games are more likely to harm than help your skill in those areas. Not everyone thinks that, but it doesn't help its cause...
Well within those "just games", what keeps you coming back? Innovation! Why do you like Mirror's Edge? Because it's a nice blend of free-running that you haven't experienced before.
The moron will always be the moron, Firus. You can take comfort in the fact that said "moron" would make a complete *** out of himself if actually tried to play a real musical instrument.
I played piano for 5 years, then quit to make room for athletics. Yet, I'm not as....ugh, for lack of a better word, "hostile" against those who play these games.
For every moron thinking they are the next best thing, there are just as many kids who haven't played a video game before, or play it at a party with friends, or use it as physical therapy (no joke).

Sorry, I just don't like the concept. The same reason I dislike GTA. I'm sure it's fun. But I dislike the concept completely. I don't really want to steal cars, run people over, shoot people, etc. Like, I'll play some violent games, but that violent and law-breaking and it's just gratuitous.
Yikes, don't get me started on GTA. It gives video games a HORRID name to the general public, and the gaming community has suffered because of that. I'll run over people, but I don't want 500 bonus points for it!

You mean more inferior. Not saying it is inferior, because it really isn't, but in context I'm assuming you're saying your rant is worse than mine, and less inferior would mean it's less bad. Meaning it's better.
LOL Thanks for correcting me, Firus. Now I can suck with dignity.

No, no...I was a part of the Debate Hall cleanup session and MK wasn't on my list of people inactive for 3 weeks+...not by very much, though, so maybe CK still saw it fit to boot you. I don't know.
ARGH!

I sent a PM to Crimson King and he said that I hadn't posted in three weeks. Maybe if we got some better topics that I could RELATE to, I would be more obliged to post. Would you mind sending him a private message to sway his mind to let me back in? Of all people, I seriously did not deserve to be booted. I actually CARE about debating, not like most of the people in there.

**I really need to learn how to use the Multi-quote button**

Wrath`

Smash Master
From Pokemon spriting center to rythym game debate hall:psycho:

Music and rythm games will always be gimmick in a way, but I think RB/GH will die out in 5 years, eventualy you will cover all the good songs, it think the whole "band" game concepts are a type of long lasting fad, I dont see it going anywhere after awhiel. DDr on the other hand can use basicly and song, regardless of weather it has guitars and drums, it can have just sythns and you can still dance, so I say DDR will be around..forever, RB/GH, not so much.

OH RB>GH

I think if the main body was a tad smaller it'd look perfect, but overall nice.

Darkslash

Smash Master
WHAT JUST HAPPENED. The Custom Pokmon shop was dead when i left and then 4 hours later i get page stretching posts.

It looks good but i gotta agree with Koarin. The Body looks a bit tad to fat. Unless its twisting its body that is.

A_man13

Smash Master
So bored. I seriosly need a new hobby.

And I agree with everyone else so far. IMO that could be great if you can just fuse them a bit more smoothly.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I know, I know, I should really try them. The whole "concept" intrigues me, and my experiences with Prime shouldn't generalize the series as a whole. I might try Fusion, is that a good title to start with?
Yes, it is. It's the title I started on, as a matter of fact. It has some difficult fights, but navigation-wise it mostly takes you by the hand, so it's not all that hard to get a grasp of. Then once you've gotten the concept, move onto Super Metroid, as you HAVE to try it. Assuming you liked Fusion enough, anyways.

Agreed. My tastes in music aren't so straightforward, either, but the GH and RB producers are only trying to take advantage of the general American (Canadian?) teenager that listens to general, bland, rehashed music. I mean, have you heard that Kid Rock song that rips the entire beat off of Sweet Home Alabama? It makes me sick.
Yeah, it kind of sucks.

Well within those "just games", what keeps you coming back? Innovation! Why do you like Mirror's Edge? Because it's a nice blend of free-running that you haven't experienced before.
The moron will always be the moron, Firus. You can take comfort in the fact that said "moron" would make a complete *** out of himself if actually tried to play a real musical instrument.
You know what the Wii was? "Innovation". Look where that ended up. That's my point. Innovation, new things =/= good. Mirror's Edge happened to do a very good job of being innovative and, in my opinion, revolutionary, but innovation isn't usually successful.

The moron will always be the moron, but already it's affecting our culture. I've seen on two TV shows a reference to how Guitar Hero makes you good at playing instruments. Even if they'd totally asplode if they tried playing the actual instrument, it irks me that they think they can play it anyways.

I played piano for 5 years, then quit to make room for athletics. Yet, I'm not as....ugh, for lack of a better word, "hostile" against those who play these games.
For every moron thinking they are the next best thing, there are just as many kids who haven't played a video game before, or play it at a party with friends, or use it as physical therapy (no joke).
I'm not hostile against people who play the game, just the game itself.

Okay, it's great that it's bringing people together or whatever. But guess what else is being used for physical therapy, being played at parties, and used to unite people having never played a video game before? THE WII.

Yikes, don't get me started on GTA. It gives video games a HORRID name to the general public, and the gaming community has suffered because of that. I'll run over people, but I don't want 500 bonus points for it!
Haha, that last line is classic.

LOL Thanks for correcting me, Firus. Now I can suck with dignity.
Yay!
But seriously, it wasn't inferior. It was just less rant-y. Which is probably a good thing.

ARGH!

I sent a PM to Crimson King and he said that I hadn't posted in three weeks. Maybe if we got some better topics that I could RELATE to, I would be more obliged to post. Would you mind sending him a private message to sway his mind to let me back in? Of all people, I seriously did not deserve to be booted. I actually CARE about debating, not like most of the people in there.
Well, you last posted November 23rd. While my system had the cutoff date as November 20th (anyone that hadn't posted since November 19th or earlier was marked down to be booted), maybe others had theirs marked a few days later? I don't know. Either way, I can't PM him to sway his mind -- just because you got booted now doesn't mean you can't get back in, anyways. CK is purging the members, and I think once he's done he's announcing a new admissions process. When it's announced and in full order, you can re-apply through that.

Sorry, MK. I know how you feel about there not always being good topics there. I myself just stumble across a good topic every once in a while. I mean, there are some good topics that stay generally bumped, but even the technically good ones aren't always ones I want to debate in. But rules are rules -- even though you may have joined to actually debate, there are 202 people who joined and never even posted there. So he's got to assume that you not posting recently enough means that you aren't dedicated to the Debate Hall and don't really care that much.

But yeah...I was a part of the process, but please don't ask me to PM him or anything, anyone. He asked me to go through the members and tell him who had and hadn't posted in the last three weeks, and I did. I will not PM him to ask him anything...in retrospect, I probably should've remained quiet about that anyways. Sorry guys, no offense.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
@MK

I HATE scratching. Minor scratching I can do but a full out scratched sprite...

I have my pink name still :D

...but I agree with MK. Most of the discussions are on American politics or Religion. Two things that I find really hard to relate to...

-:bowser:Bowser King

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I gave up my pink name. I've come to realized that I'm too unopinionated to be a debater.

EDIT: As for taste in music, people say mine is a bit... eccentric. As copied from my playlist.com: The Weasel Chase by Terry S. Taylor, Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad by Meatloaf, Rock The Casbah by Clash, Rainy Day Women 12 & 35 by Bob Dylan, Forgiven by Alanis Morrisette, Olley Oxen Free by The Neverhood, Hand In My Pocket by Alanis Morissette, Under Pressure by Queen, Love by John Lennon, and more!

Top Bottom