• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Our community's reaction to splittings/"bracket manipulation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockenos

Smash Apprentice
No, I was joking.
Still, I highly doubt M2K was flirting by giving her a win LOL. Just trying to imagine something flirting by doing that is laughable.

Yeah I might've just meant "being friendly", but I don't think the wording is all that important there, I was just saying that it was for an absurd reason.

:phone:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Now that m2k is gone, I'll watch matches from other meta knight mains.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
M2K isn't gone. He's banned for 4 weeks. Closer to 3 weeks now. Seriously, it's not a big deal. *internet slap*

Now, stop it.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
3) people only care about it the very few times I've done it. No one ever gives a **** when Texas does 3 way splits
i do not allow tx to split anymore. ever since we(bbrrc) made the card system rule. i force them to play it out.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
**** the BBR dude I left them a year ago. I know how they work. There are a few VERY biased people back there, especially anti-MK people back there, that NO MATTER WHAT U SAY, they will choose to vote the way that benefits them. Having a talk with a lot of my friends back then, I bet (we all seemed to agree) we think the government probably works this way too, and possibly many parts of life. Life's not always about what's fair, it can work in gay ways, if you get what I am saying.
Some people won't change and can be stubborn back there, not gonna lie about that.

I wouldn't imply that most of the people who are against MK are doing it for themselves. People are being objective on a lot of issues from what I can tell. There may be some people who are being selfish about it, but for the most part they are being objective.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
okay I definitely have a few things I wanna say

1) ive been splitting a lot of tourneys since 2006, JUST TO BE NICE. I used to split all the time with pc and Chu, but ONLY after I surpassed them both in skill. They never split with me before I got better than them. I did it because I'm overly too nice, and the grand total money I've lost from splitting is probably near 5000 dollars by now in the past 5 years.

2) I don't do any of that **** to do bracket manipulation, I did it because I COULDNT PLAY (and in some cases, just didn't care. I did not have malicious intentions though). IN FACT I'm victim to Ken throwing his set with Chu so that Ken could beat me after I took out Azen at MLG Chicago in 2006, so that they could split top two. I could have easily done better than 3rd had that not happened. At Ktar I had some VERY personal stuff in my life (NOT smash related) ****ing me up that happened later in that day, and I COULDNT bring myself to play any more matches. At Genesis2, when Sade was the last person in my pool, I was guaranteed first seed anyway, AND it was just pools with many people making it out anyway, so I just used characters I don't really ever play just so it'd be more fun. i almost won with falco on brinstar actually. I didn't do it with the intentions of THROWING games. For that case, I can see what I did was wrong, but it was NOT with malicious intent.

3) people only care about it the very few times I've done it. No one ever gives a **** when Texas does 3 way splits or anti and adhd split for like 100 tournaments in a row or all these other players split with each other, all the time. You guys are biased as ****, so **** you all for that
ADHD and I split at Vinnie's tournaments/PolyBrawls/Viridian City tournaments which ARENT Unity rule-set. So they can't do ****. We tried at KTAR but that DID have the Unity Rule-set, Which is why we were yellow-carded.

Relax man, not everyone is out for you. Your just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
The last line of your post is one the dumbest things I have read in a long time.

We do not do this because we're bored and want to pick on Mew2King. We do this because we want to have a presentable, mature community that can be taken seriously. I think the fact all of these incidents occurs shines a worse light on the community as a whole. I am willing to take some of the heat, if my actions can help guide the community in the right place.
You do know that just ignoring the whole situation would have looked way better for the community, right? Because of the actions of the Smash Bros Internet Police, articles like this are published, which makes not only the Brawl community look horrible, but the Melee community (who is completely unrelated) because SRK sees both as one community.

M2K sandbagged in pools?

M2K split the pot?

Making up a universally used ruleset for a video game is one thing, but commanding players what to do with the money they won is ****ing ********.

Even MLG is wrong by enforcing this. But at least they're a legit organization and not a bunch of guys sitting behind computers.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
You do know that just ignoring the whole situation would have looked way better for the community, right? Because of the actions of the Smash Bros Internet Police, articles like this are published, which makes not only the Brawl community look horrible, but the Melee community (who is completely unrelated) because SRK sees both as one community.

M2K sandbagged in pools?

M2K split the pot?

Making up a universally used ruleset for a video game is one thing, but commanding players what to do with the money they won is ****ing ********.

Even MLG is wrong by enforcing this. But at least they're a legit organization and not a bunch of guys sitting behind computers.
Wow...just woowwwwwww. It's one thing to split afterwards, behind the scenes, or just for financial security as long as the set is played out as it should. If two ppl are already in Grand Finals and play out the set to the best of their ability then they can do wdf ever they want w/ their respective money. But doing so b4 hand takes off pressure, hype, and several factors that determine the actual outcome of the set. Not only that but the big name matches is one of the things that helps keep this community running longer. Melee would never have lasted as long as it has if at every tourney in GF/Wf/lf they just split openly so everyone realized it was a joke and like armada picked pichu and peepee picked doctor mario.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
It is not their money until they play out the set that gives them their placing. TOs actually have the ability to withhold winnings if the players do not play out their set or try to split. Some TOs have threatened to withhold winnings in the past, myself included.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't understand how splitting can be wrong on the grounds that it ruins the spectacle of the match, when the "spectators" haven't payed money to watch the match....

Bracket manipulation shouldn't be illegal because the same result could arise perfectly legal if the player lost genuinely anyway.

The only reason why this stuff is banned in proper sports is because they are spectator sports. Brawl isn't a true spectator sport/game. In spectator sports, the money for the players comes from the enormous fan-bases that are willing to watch it. In Brawl, the money comes from other players paying entry fees who are there to win the pot as well.

The money is not being splashed out in the name of entertainment, so entertainment doesn't have to be the priority.

V

Smash Ace
Yes but entertainment value and the legitimacy of our community will help us get back on the MLG circuit. Our removal from that is the reason why the BBR-RC was formed if anybody can't figure that out. This is basically a pitch to them saying "we've matured, can we come back please?" M2K happens to be one of the faces of smash. His splitting habits, regardless of their intent, AND EVERYBODY ELSE'S, are the reason why we aren't taken seriously enough to be put on that grand of a stage. We don't have the liberty of a game like halo or mw2 and other games that are that popular regardless of their communities and will always be placed on MLG. We have to work a little harder to be on the same stage with them. If stopping the splits/getting rid of bracket manipulation is what we have to do to be put back on that circuit, then the RC is doing what they can to help with that cause. Being on the MLG circuit will help bring new players to the game and increase its longevity as a competitive fighter which will only be good for us. I agree singling out jason sucks for him, but everybody who's the face of whatever it is they do will ALWAYS be held to a higher standard. Right now brawl's biggest faces are shedding a negative light on us. Their intentions do not matter, ONLY THEIR RESULTS. If the result of their splits affect the outcome of the bracket in a negative way then the splits need to stop. PERIOD. Yes, they can split behind the scenes and nobody can stop that, but if we are to thrive as a community then M2K, ADHD, Anti, Ally, and any other top level player need to play they're best and if they split, DO NOT ANNOUNCE IT, and don't let it affect your performance or the bracket results. This entire community counts on ALL OF YOU to be the example we need and you guys need to step it up or step down.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I don't understand how splitting can be wrong on the grounds that it ruins the spectacle of the match, when the "spectators" haven't payed money to watch the match....

Bracket manipulation shouldn't be illegal because the same result could arise perfectly legal if the player lost genuinely anyway.

The only reason why this stuff is banned in proper sports is because they are spectator sports. Brawl isn't a true spectator sport/game. In spectator sports, the money for the players comes from the enormous fan-bases that are willing to watch it. In Brawl, the money comes from other players paying entry fees who are there to win the pot as well.

The money is not being splashed out in the name of entertainment, so entertainment doesn't have to be the priority.
SPONSORSHIPS, SPONSORSHIPS, SPONSORSHIPS, SPONSORSHIPS, SPONSORSHIPS, SPONSORSHIPS, SPONSORSHIPS, SPONSORSHIPS, SPONSORSHIPS, DO YOU GUYS SERIOUSLY HAVE NO FORESIGHT AT ALL?

*pant* *pant* *pant* ...jeez, this is not the first time it's been said.

V

Smash Ace
(Raises hand) I do!

My whole post was essentially saying the same thing.

Because of the actions of the Smash Bros Internet Police, articles like this are published, which makes not only the Brawl community look horrible, but the Melee community (who is completely unrelated) because SRK sees both as one community.
SRK will make fun of Smash as long as it's brought up, regardless about what it's brought up for. Smash on SRK basically looks like this:

BRC red-carded Mew2King?

-LOL Smash it's so dumb
-People still play Smash?
-I thought smashers all killed themselves already
-Smash is a fighter?
-Smash is garbage why is this news?

Japanese player wins Apex 2012!

-LOL Smash it's so dumb
-Smash is a fighter?

Smash 4 is a competitive success!
-LOL Smash it's so dumb
-Smash is a fighter?

No matter what, we're always going to be put on a negative light, because the majority of them are ignorant trolls. We're holding ourselves up pretty well without them, so there's no point in paying attention to them. They're just trolls.

D

Deleted member

No matter what, we're always going to be put on a negative light, because the majority of them are ignorant trolls. We're holding ourselves up pretty well without them, so there's no point in paying attention to them. They're just trolls.
Yes, clearly 90% of the criticism coming from our own members means they must be ignorant trolls too. Sweeping generalizations in the face of deserving resistance must be your strong suit.

Let's see how many awesome sponsorships or MLG circuits we get while m2k is banned for 4 weeks. I don't know what's more ********, the initial statements or that some of you actually believe them.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Yes, clearly 90% of the criticism coming from our own members means they must be ignorant trolls too. Sweeping generalizations in the face of deserving resistance must be your strong suit.

Let's see how many awesome sponsorships or MLG circuits we get while m2k is banned for 4 weeks. I don't know what's more ********, the initial statements or that some of you actually believe them.
I think you're forgetting the fact M2K was banned from one of MLG's tournaments due to splitting.

So...implying that M2K is going to get us awesome sponsorships or MLG circuits is a laughable statement.

Talk about sweeping generalizations..... >_>

This comment is overwhelmingly vague. Are you trying to tell me that any criticism at all is from a troll?

Pfffffffffffffffffffft ni que generalizations are my strong suit..... If sweeping generalizations are my strong suit, then strawmanning must be yours.

Rockenos

Smash Apprentice
^The guy above me is sorta right, in that SRK is a bunch of smash hating trolls and every post about smash there is "LOL SMASH IS DUMB WHAT IS THAT GAME LOLOLOL"

But, I think it's important to point out that at this point, a fair portion of the Brawl community strongly disagrees with what's going on here. It wouldn't be a problem if say, we voted for the BBR RC members (Like in a democratic republic), or if we'd voted on whether or not to ban M2k (like a democracy), but the Smash Community banned M2K. And most of the community doesn't want him banned.
People here just feel like they've been strongly misrepresented, I mean what if the BBR RC just decideds to ban MK one day from tournaments, then the week after that requires all matches to be played with Pokeballs on medium, and then the week after that, all matches are played with a one minute time limit so that even players of no skill can hit Ally once and run away.

D

Deleted member

Talk about sweeping generalizations..... >_>

This comment is overwhelmingly vague. Are you trying to tell me that any criticism at all is from a troll?

Pfffffffffffffffffffft ni que generalizations are my strong suit..... If sweeping generalizations are my strong suit, then strawmanning must be yours.
A straw man argument is a comparison to the debate at hand using irrelevant subjects and variables instead of relevant ones. The logical fallacy is the assumption that the two relationships are similar when they may be totally unrelated. I made no comparison in the first place. Nice try though.

The simple observation at hand is that the community at large does not agree with your policy. Upon meeting fair and logical resistance, the BBR and/or RC is attempting to strong-arm the opposition with some vague concept of equity and "fair", a transparent tactic that you're a part of.

There's no trolling involved. I legitimately disagree with these policies. I appreciate that you've chosen to reinforce my point by labeling me a troll though.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
?? No, strawmanning is the practice of setting up purposefully weak arguments in a debate solely for the purpose of knocking them down (hence, the term); it's used by intellectually disingenuous people to both make the opposition's argument out to be something it is not AND make one's argument seems more sound than it actually is all at once.

Fail.

The simple observation at hand is that the community at large does not agree with your policy. Upon meeting fair and logical resistance, the BBR and/or RC is attempting to strong-arm the opposition with some vague concept of equity and "fair", a transparent tactic that you're a part of.
What does this have to do with not feeding the trolls at SRK?

There's no trolling involved. I legitimately disagree with these policies. I appreciate that you've chosen to reinforce my point by labeling me a troll though.
I said no such thing.

Judo777

Smash Master
A straw man argument is a comparison to the debate at hand using irrelevant subjects and variables instead of relevant ones. The logical fallacy is the assumption that the two relationships are similar when they may be totally unrelated. I made no comparison in the first place. Nice try though.

NOT the BBR. The BBRRC which is completely independent of the BBR.

Also, please get your facts together.

I am not a TO, nor am I a part of the BRC. I'm a moderator and member of the BBR. The policies that the community at large does not agree with are not mine, nor am I a part of creating or enforcing any so called "transparent tactics".

V

Smash Ace
Intuition you're not going to get anywhere with your debate on this forum. Use your brains for something other than SWF because there's no winning here as I've already found out :/ I can tell through your thought process that you're probably a conservative thinker as I am. You have to realize this site is full of a generation that is predominantly liberal. The differences are inherent depending on what side of your brain is dominant. The way we think will never at any point make sense to them and vice versa. We're basically beating a dead horse here. I tried to say that the mods were acting dictatorially by closing "ban mk" threads against the community's wishes, which according to the definition of a dictator, they were. I then was called a child by a moderator for saying that. I went on to use factual examples to prove my point and made sure my points were easy to understand. The other users didn't get my points and sided with the mod even though he was blatantly wrong and used no facts or real logic to back up his statements, which he actually claimed to do. We can't win here. We have no power. We're outnumbered. We'll never convince them of our logic so it's pointless to keep trying so hard. Save your energy for debates in the real world. This site doesn't mean anything.

-Ran

Smash Master
-The following is not meant to be a 'zomg break it downpost', or anything like that. ;d

It's important to sharpen your debate tools online. However, there is a point in which you need to step away and evaluate if the individuals are actually reciprocating the effort. Everyone has their own positions that they're coming from in life, for example I'm an individual that loves structure and rules. I find that the creation of infrastructure is incredibly important for the scene. It's chiefly a matter of going through the process and formulating the proper steps and regulations. I also, as an individual, feel that we need to strive to reach the mid/low level players that make up the composition of the vast majority of our scene. Without them, we'd have three player tournaments in every state.

There will be trial, error, and of course growing pains in these endeavors. We're trying to cultivate the scene into something beyond the simple tribal mentalities that are so prevalent. Sometimes, there are knee-jerk reactions to situations in our community [just as the case in all], such as the administrative taboo that was placed on Meta Knight that went beyond just public threads. Their desire to maintain peace/order on the boards clouded their judgment. Obviously, those restrictions have been greatly loosened over the past month.

I will never claim to be infallible, nor is the RC attempting to. We are discussing our thoughts on how things are currently structured in regards to the card system and looking at alternatives. The main objective is to have a level of accountability for players that have chosen greed or malcontent over their community. Though a tournament is about determining who the best player is, the pot is insignificant unless you have a truly active scene filled with mid and low level players. They are competitors, but they spend most of a tournament as spectators; this is part of their justification for entering events [garnered through the conversations I've had with a few hundred players.]. We want to do what we can to insure that the vast majority of players that don't make money, actually stay and contribute to the scene. We want more for the community and finding a structure that fits is part of it.

I personally want to do what I can to protect the interests of those players. That is my stance and motive behind most of the decisions I will make when it comes time for voting in the RC. I know this post will probably seem as a whole lot of nothing [I've been up for 24 hours, and just ran a big tournament], but I felt it would be important for individuals in this thread to know where I'm coming from when I write a response. My concerns will rarely be focused on 'Top Players,' rather they will be on the ramifications of their actions [or a rule/situation/etc] on others. I simply care more about the players that are only kept involved in the community due to their love of the game [Brawl or Melee], and what can increase their enjoyment and participation in tournaments.

And yes, people are going to be effected by the bumps in the road for progress. Just as when a stage list comes out costing players to lose their counter-picks or something similar. The only way to test a system is to use it.

Rockenos

Smash Apprentice
Intuition you're not going to get anywhere with your debate on this forum. Use your brains for something other than SWF because there's no winning here as I've already found out :/ I can tell through your thought process that you're probably a conservative thinker as I am. You have to realize this site is full of a generation that is predominantly liberal. The differences are inherent depending on what side of your brain is dominant. The way we think will never at any point make sense to them and vice versa. We're basically beating a dead horse here. I tried to say that the mods were acting dictatorially by closing "ban mk" threads against the community's wishes, which according to the definition of a dictator, they were. I then was called a child by a moderator for saying that. I went on to use factual examples to prove my point and made sure my points were easy to understand. The other users didn't get my points and sided with the mod even though he was blatantly wrong and used no facts or real logic to back up his statements, which he actually claimed to do. We can't win here. We have no power. We're outnumbered. We'll never convince them of our logic so it's pointless to keep trying so hard. Save your energy for debates in the real world. This site doesn't mean anything.

Unfortunately, ^this.
As long as the BBRRC says we're wrong, we're wrong. The power the bbrrc has will never shrink, because the members of the bbrrc are corrupt and don't want it to shrink. We have a government with only one body and no system of checks and balances. The bbrrc has become the MK of real life.

tl;dr, if the bbrrc doesn't want it to happen, it won't. They have complete control and no one else's opinions effect theirs.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I think it's cute how people say the BBRRC is a dictatorship when nobody has to listen to them. Look at the tournament listings. Is everyone using the Unity Ruleset? No. Are their tournaments being wiped from the boards for doing so? No. Granted, they're not being stickied, and I can understand the purpose for that, but the tournaments that would have been stickied anyways don't really need it. They have their own hype to keep them afloat.

These infractions and bans are only mandatory for any event which is following the Unity ruleset. And get this: for a TO to be using that ruleset, he has to agree with the decisions of the BBRRC. If he doesn't, he can just not use those rules, not follow the infraction system, and carry out his event in the manner of his own choosing. Keitaro has recently made this decision with KTAR6 (sorry to namedrop). He's not being banned for his decision. In fact, he was met with understanding and no hard feelings (from what I've seen).

So, since these rulings only really apply to those using the Unity ruleset, which people only do voluntarily, what do these infractions and cards mean for the rest of the community? They become an optional system to use, or a method of gaining information. You can look at the players who are currently carded and decide what to do with them yourself at your event, at your own discretion. Naturally, if you're not using the Unity Ruleset yourself, you can earn yourself some hatred from those who disagree. Even if you don't ban anyone for their cards, you can use the information to keep an eye on them to make sure any shady dealings don't go down. Again, there is no problem here.

It seems like the issue is that people don't agree that splitting should be something that isn't accepted in this community. It's true that the winners of a tournament have the right to do what they want with their money. And to be honest, I'm fine if at some point after the tournament they split the money, when nobody's around, and they go off on their merry ways after playing a legitimate set. The problem is that the open splitting is ruining the legitimacy of the final sets in a tournament, which ruins the spectator value of the finals. At many tournaments I've attended, I've noticed that the final sets of the tournament are barely watched. People are usually off playing friendlies, doing MMs, playing All Brawl, etc. The final sets have no hype, and sure, the top players have no obligation to provide an exciting final set, but they should, for their own interest. If tournaments become boring, then the pot fillers will no longer want to show up. They're not making any money, what reason do they have to come if the events are boring? Eventually, the scene will shrink and the money makers will be making less money. Splitting has no apparent harm for the immediate short term, but for the long term, it's definitely hurting everything. As people have explained before me, the way we look in the eyes of sponsors and other communities is largely influenced by how we conduct ourselves. Splitting isn't good for our appearance.

V

Smash Ace
Please show where I singled out the BBR-RC. Also lol at comparing mk to the bbr they have no correlation at all. I don't necessarily condemn the actions of the RC. The bigger issue is the lack of entertainment value for what should be hype sets.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
My opinion on the matter will be short and to-the-point...

If players are going to manipulate the brackets on the grounds they feel Player A can beat Player B, then it will be up to Player B to make sure they do their homework and study all players - let alone Player A - to try to come up with strategies on the fly to beat their opponent's mains' playstyle. I may not be in favor of manipulation, but I don't think outright banning people for it should be necessary. So as long as a Brawl tourney doesn't have its equivalent to WWF's Montreal Screwjob, everything shouldn't be taken too seriously... even with prize money involved. Okay, that wasn't as short as intended, but still.

Rockenos

Smash Apprentice
>country is a dictatorship
>dictator says "You don't HAVE to do what I tell you to! You can always leave the country!"
>dictator doesn't realize how stupid that sounds
>Rockenos makes a metaphor on Smashboards

Tesh

Smash Hero
except people don't get kicked out of the smash community for running a different ruleset...

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
It's still a bad analogy. The only thing you really get by running the UR is sticky privileges, at least for now. Ok, so what if the tourney I'm running is too small to really warrant a sticky? Or what if you, like Alex, don't give a **** about the sticky anyway? Really, the BBRRC isn't arm-twisting anywhere near as much as a "dictatorial" group conceivably could.

Fail analogy is fail.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Better analogy: Elected oligarchy makes a new optional law. If you follow it, you get additional citizenship benefits. If you choose not to follow the law, you don't.

NNID
Budget_Player
>country is a dictatorship
>dictator says "You don't HAVE to do what I tell you to! You can always leave the country!"
>dictator doesn't realize how stupid that sounds
>Rockenos makes a metaphor on Smashboards

You don't seem to get the supreme irony behind this, do you?

The BRC is almost perfectly democratic.

Think about it.
First of all, anyone who hosts tournaments can join. Anyone who doesn't host tournaments has very little to say on the matter in the first place on their own, making it kind of a moot point.
Secondly, what ruleset is run is decided by AFAIK democratic consensus and debate within the members. Wanna change the ruleset? Join, and tell them what you think.
Thirdly, their goal is not some high-and-mighty competitive absolute (like the BBR, who as a consequence didn't really care what players thought). Their goal is to host good tournaments. If you can get a majority of the smash community to agree "we'd rather go to tournaments with this ruleset change X", then the BRC will almost certainly be forced to adapt to that ruleset change. See also: the fact that they're debating Brinstar.
Lastly, if you don't like the BRC ruleset, nobody is forcing you to use it. If your local TO decides to use it, that's entirely on him; there's not really much you can say or do about it anyways, beyond not go to the tournament. If your local TO doesn't decide to use it, he loses... the ability to get stickied on smashboards, a website that openly endorses the BRC? Not a huge deal.

You don't see how this resembles our modern democracy?

-Anyone with the correct pedigree and education can become a senator/governor/etc.
-Privileges are decided by democratic methods among the representatives
-The goal is usually to do what's best for the people, and represent the constituents
-Nobody is forcing you to get an abortion

Hell, to an extent, the BRC works better in those aspects than the USA's own system does!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom