• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Texas Power Rankings! - Updated June 15, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassem6

Smash Lord
This indeed sounded like a poop tournament. And lol dphat...I'll be waiting for you in losers finals ;)

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry for the double post, but this is relevant enough for me to risk the infraction.

I urge you guys not to count the Fort Worth Classic tournament towards the power rankings. I'll elaborate more later and edit this post with additional info, but because I'm on my phone I don't want to post a super long winded-post about it right now.

Update:

This was probably the worst tournament I've been to. There were a number of issues that ended up causing a lot of drama during the course of the event and caused a lot of heated argument while we were there. The ruleset was not clearly defined and a player who was playing within the guidelines of the rules was forced to give up multiple stocks because the TO had not clearly defined the stalling rule.

d4ba was playing Denti in game 3 of their match in winner's semifinals. They were at comparable percentages (Denti had about a 30% lead, they were both in the mid hundreds and within kill percents of each other) and d4ba managed to get the first kill. There was no clearly defined ledge grab limit and d4ba began planking the left ledge of Yoshi's Island. He spent roughly 2.5 minutes doing then when I called the TO over to point out why a ledge grab limit is needed. The TO took it upon himself at this point to tell d4ba to forfeit his stock. He did and as the game continued the situation was repeated and he was forced to forfeit a second stock. After the end of the match we all determined that the best course of action was to have the players go to a 1 stock, 3 minute match to determine the winner. Denti ended up winning the game and the set.

This situation was completely unfair to either player. Damien was forced to forfeit a stock when he was playing within the guidelines of the rules, but his abuse of planking could easily fall under the stalling rule. This was not clearly defined and caused a lot of drama for the next couple of hours. This set is my main reason for suggesting that this tournament not be counted in the PR, because the rules were not clearly defined and the TO chose to punish a player who was playing within the rules of the tournament.

In addition to this, the TO had to return people's money because he cancelled the doubles event and other side events after everyone had paid their way in, resulting in this basically being just a singles tournament. The TO also did seeding based on location rather than skill level; completely disregarding this PR in the first place. Overall this tournament was pretty much a failure and more than one participant expressed to me that they would not be attending another.

I did discuss this briefly with a few of the other players after the tournament was over and the general consensus was that it wouldn't really bother anyone if this was counted towards the PR; so this is simply my opinion and only my opinion at this time. I just wouldn't feel right if this was counted because of all the bull**** that happened while we were there.
You just love to rag on tournaments that are not really "community" approved, do you not?

Let me retrace the whole day for those of you ignorant masses who think on rumors rather than take it straight from the horses mouth, MINE!

Point 1- Registration and seeding: Yes, I did say when I advertised this tournament that I would do my seeding by location, rather by skill. But the rest of the story is that I chatted up my tournament pro and a TO in the midwest a few hours before registration started about the arguement about seeding by skill, and after some thought, decided to reseed everyone by skill with a location secondary filter. How exactly did I find the seeding values? I asked everyone who did NOT pre-register if they were on any power rankings. If they said yes, I would look them up in the Texas power rankings(This Power Rankings), and assign them their skill number based on their tier. S tier would be ten, A tier would be 9, B rank 8, C rank 7, D rank 6, E rank 5, F rank and unranked 4. This resulted in the seedings that you saw, not straight location seeding.

Point 2- Refunds: Yes, I was forced to cancel every other tournament EXCEPT Melee Singles. The registration period was to register for ALL events, not just Brawl Singles. Some of you did take advantage of the registration period, like Infinity, to register for multiple events, but sad to say, about half of the attendees didn't even know that I was offering other events unless I called for them, like Doubles. It is pathetic that I was even forced to cancel that because I didn't get enough teams to register for that.

I advertised this tournament three months in advance on Facebook, here, and gave updates on twitter to build hype. If there is an event that didn't happen, it is also on you.

Point 3- The d4ba situation: Let me bring up the tournament definition of stalling:

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while using an infinite to run out the timer rather than to score a KO is. As such, any infinite chain-grabs, locks, etc. cannot exceed 300%.

You noticed that when Brawl 3.0 was up, this was exactly word for word for what Stalling is. The part in emphasis is what I want to emphasis on and apply it to the main situation.

Yes, when Infinity called me over, he and I did discuss at length about applying a LGL to the rules, but what did d4ba do exactly to lose two stocks and ultimately the set? Despite word coming from the tournament, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with a lack of a LGL. If it was, then it would be Denti be putting on the salt Sunday morning, not d4ba.

A few questions:

1. Did d4ba not, under his own volition, deliberately avoided combat in order to run out the clock and force sudden death overtime?

2. Did d4ba not, under his own volition, by the end positioning his character, did run away not for the purpose of gaining a better position to conduct combat, but to run away to run out the clock?

3. Did d4ba not, under his own volition by the end position of his character, simply made the game unplayable?

If you answered yes to even one of these questions, then you have saw what I have seen at that game.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
TBH sean he wasn't even a poor TO, the tournament ran smoothly and ended very quickly, matches were called immediately and no TV were open the entire time. And just because he didn't run the standard rule set doesn't mean he's a poor TO. If you didn't like the rules Sean then you shouldn't attend. If a TO going out of his way to set up a tournament for everyone then I believe he has the right to determine what rules he implement.
Edit: only reason I was upset was because I was unsure of my limitations. EG: Ledge grab limit.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
A few questions:

1. Did d4ba not, under his own volition, deliberately avoided combat in order to run out the clock and force sudden death overtime?

2. Did d4ba not, under his own volition, by the end positioning his character, did run away not for the purpose of gaining a better position to conduct combat, but to run away to run out the clock?

3. Did d4ba not, under his own volition by the end position of his character, simply made the game unplayable?

If you answered yes to even one of these questions, then you have saw what I have seen at that game.
1. It is very hard to say someone is avoiding conflict. Do you expect d4ba to fight threw an onslaught of pikmin, risking damage? He could sit on the ledge and be safe. In the other hand, Denti could have approach d4ba on the ledge, correct? But that would be disadvantageous for him as well. Both players were avoiding conflict.

2. Running out the clock is illegal or against the rules? This topic is invalid, and merely a side-effect of another topic: stalling.

3. How was it unplayable? Olimar can still move and do everything that he could do normally, or am I wrong? Is he really not able to play the game anymore? Imo, putting the game in an unplayable state is equivalent to unpluggling the controller (you can no longer player). Or am I missing something?

---

Sanji, I appreciate your efforts to run tournaments. There aren't many who step up to the challenge. However, there's one thing you have to understand: the smash community is large and strong. They are accustom to a certain ruleset that's been tried and tested for a few years now. When you launch your own tournament with your own custom rules (and I have nothing against that), it is very important to clarify as much as you can (preferably using the smash lingo aka. "planking"). This helps you and the community understand the rules of your tournament with the least amount of conflict.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
This issue here is the reason why I do not like the blanket "no stalling" rule. It is so often and so easily misinterpretted. (or rather, the community actually wrote the rule differently from what they practice)

The following are punishable actions:

-Homing attack stall underneath the stage as Sonic
-Grabbing the ledge too many times (a ledge grab limit is enforced by the TO before the tournament).
-Not ending a chain grab by 300%
-Gliding back and forth underneath the ledge. (the limit is you can do it twice without hitting anyone. You must hit your opponent before gliding underneath the stage anymore.)
-Any use of extending Metaknight's dimensional cape.

The point is, even though TO's always put "no stalling" as a rule, the players expect all the specific examples to be listed or they will consider it fair game. In this case, you forgot to instate a ledge grab limit. If you follow these guidelines, I'm sure your next tournament will run without conflict. From how it sounds, you did everything else right.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
1) Sonic's HA Abuse is NOT considered stalling.
2) If you want to ban it, you'd have to ban it for a reason beyond stalling.

Just tossin' that out there.

Gnes

Smash Master
Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while using an infinite to run out the timer rather than to score a KO is. As such, any infinite chain-grabs, locks, etc. cannot exceed 300%.

Firstly, planking in itself has never been stalling. It's only been a tech that puts mk in a EXTREMELY advantageous position. Not UNPLAYABLE.

Second, Timing out the clock is not against the rules, i dont see the point in putting that. Its not even against the rules in other competitive fighters.

Third, running the clock is not synonymous with stalling/making the game unplayable.
All you saw what the output of your rules. You don't have a lgl, people are gonna plank and put themselves in the best position possible to win. That's why TO's put them.

/(wk)

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
1) Sonic's HA Abuse is NOT considered stalling.
2) If you want to ban it, you'd have to ban it for a reason beyond stalling.

Just tossin' that out there.
those examples i listed are the main forms of stallimg i hear about. Out of curiosity, have you tried timing someone out with it?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Firstly, planking in itself has never been stalling. It's only been a tech that puts mk in a EXTREMELY advantageous position. Not UNPLAYABLE.

Second, Timing out the clock is not against the rules, i dont see the point in putting that. Its not even against the rules in other competitive fighters.

Third, running the clock is not synonymous with stalling/making the game unplayable.
All you saw what the output of your rules. You don't have a lgl, people are gonna plank and put themselves in the best position possible to win. That's why TO's put them.

/(wk)
1. Planking isn't a technique, it's a blanket term for repetitive regrabbing of the ledge.

2. Timing out is legit.

3. Whodunit?

I also just wanna say: Infinity DON'T TELL TO'S about planking anymore! Ruins it for the D's (Damien, Dphat, DMG). I like planking friendly environments.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
This has been discussed several dozen times before, Problem.

It's impractical for more than half of Sonic's match ups, and it's very easy to handle for almost all of the characters on almost all of the levels (only viable levels this is reasonably abuse-able on are Final Destination and MAYBE Lylat Cruise).

Dojo

Smash Champion
and utDzac
And Dojeezyyyyy.

Also the blanket stalling rule is butt. Timing somebody out a legitimate tactic and planking without a LGL is one as well.

We enforce the rules we have to keep things like this from happening. Nobody likes planking (except for those ***s that do it <3) but it's a legitimate tactic without a ruling against it in place. Because stalling tactics are such a huge part of this game, we actually need rules in place for specific things that are actually considered broken or overpowered. Planking/scrooging are OP as **** which is why we have a specific rule to discourage it as much as possible without punishing players who play the character.

Sanji, IMO you need a large rework of hyping your tournaments and appealing to the community. The community as a whole has worked very hard to establish a strong ruleset Being a TO is hard work and I respect you for the effort.

You did fine on keeping the tournament running effectively (although we didn't run doubles which would of easily added a couple of hours at least), but I saw no attempts to really hype this tournament outside of your thread which easily could have turned it from a 22 to a 44 man tournament. Also you HAVE to appeal to what the people want. You have to give everybody a reason to want to come to your tournament. People are traveling hundreds of miles and spending money to travel across our state so you have to give them a reason to want to be here. I more than likely won't be attending another one of your events unless you make some significant changes.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Yes I am too Sanji. Personally when I read the ruleset, I kind of knew something was going to happen (ask Gnes) so I'm not really surprised. We thank you as a state and community for running a tournament but your custom ruleset (nothing wrong with having one) needs to speak in language of the game it's governing. If you run another event, I'll see if I can attend to help you run the tournament (from what I've heard it sounds like it was smoothly run albeit a lot of events were canceled).

ruin`

Smash Journeyman
smash community so strong bruh. Most of us aren't adults or take responsibility for our actions. lulz. Not much to say about this tourny other than a couple valuable lessons.

Don't do something without being mostly aware of the consequences.
Respect your elders ;P

btw, lulz on dphat going in. $ brings out the best in people ;P

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Denti, don't be scared of DPhat! The worst thing he'll do to you is snore really loudly.

:phone:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
*Random Character Banned Stage MM*

THIS IS HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME BOBBY!

I GOT ****ING LINK!

God damn Dphat luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom