• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Texas Power Rankings! - Updated June 15, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Thank you Zac. That certainly is interesting. So with the K values you've given me, players only go up or down about 12 points a battle if in winners and only by about 6 if in losers.
Players of equal skill, yes. However, if I were to beat gnes in winner's bracket I would get 24 points from it and if he were to beat me he would likely get like 2 or 3 points from it.

If you -really- want to know, here's the math for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system#Mathematical_details

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
I'm sorry for the double post, but this is relevant enough for me to risk the infraction.

I urge you guys not to count the Fort Worth Classic tournament towards the power rankings. I'll elaborate more later and edit this post with additional info, but because I'm on my phone I don't want to post a super long winded-post about it right now.

Update:

This was probably the worst tournament I've been to. There were a number of issues that ended up causing a lot of drama during the course of the event and caused a lot of heated argument while we were there. The ruleset was not clearly defined and a player who was playing within the guidelines of the rules was forced to give up multiple stocks because the TO had not clearly defined the stalling rule.

d4ba was playing Denti in game 3 of their match in winner's semifinals. They were at comparable percentages (Denti had about a 30% lead, they were both in the mid hundreds and within kill percents of each other) and d4ba managed to get the first kill. There was no clearly defined ledge grab limit and d4ba began planking the left ledge of Yoshi's Island. He spent roughly 2.5 minutes doing then when I called the TO over to point out why a ledge grab limit is needed. The TO took it upon himself at this point to tell d4ba to forfeit his stock. He did and as the game continued the situation was repeated and he was forced to forfeit a second stock. After the end of the match we all determined that the best course of action was to have the players go to a 1 stock, 3 minute match to determine the winner. Denti ended up winning the game and the set.

This situation was completely unfair to either player. Damien was forced to forfeit a stock when he was playing within the guidelines of the rules, but his abuse of planking could easily fall under the stalling rule. This was not clearly defined and caused a lot of drama for the next couple of hours. This set is my main reason for suggesting that this tournament not be counted in the PR, because the rules were not clearly defined and the TO chose to punish a player who was playing within the rules of the tournament.

In addition to this, the TO had to return people's money because he cancelled the doubles event and other side events after everyone had paid their way in, resulting in this basically being just a singles tournament. The TO also did seeding based on location rather than skill level; completely disregarding this PR in the first place. Overall this tournament was pretty much a failure and more than one participant expressed to me that they would not be attending another.

I did discuss this briefly with a few of the other players after the tournament was over and the general consensus was that it wouldn't really bother anyone if this was counted towards the PR; so this is simply my opinion and only my opinion at this time. I just wouldn't feel right if this was counted because of all the bull**** that happened while we were there.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Double posting is fine in this situation since your last post was from yesterday and you had something relevant to say.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
I'm sorry for the double post, but this is relevant enough for me to risk the infraction.

I urge you guys not to count the Fort Worth Classic tournament towards the power rankings. I'll elaborate more later and edit this post with additional info, but because I'm on my phone I don't want to post a super long winded-post about it right now.

Update:

This was probably the worst tournament I've been to. There were a number of issues that ended up causing a lot of drama during the course of the event and caused a lot of heated argument while we were there. The ruleset was not clearly defined and a player who was playing within the guidelines of the rules was forced to give up multiple stocks because the TO had not clearly defined the stalling rule.

d4ba was playing Denti in game 3 of their match in winner's semifinals. They were at comparable percentages (Denti had about a 30% lead, they were both in the mid hundreds and within kill percents of each other) and d4ba managed to get the first kill. There was no clearly defined ledge grab limit and d4ba began planking the left ledge of Yoshi's Island. He spent roughly 2.5 minutes doing then when I called the TO over to point out why a ledge grab limit is needed. The TO took it upon himself at this point to tell d4ba to forfeit his stock. He did and as the game continued the situation was repeated and he was forced to forfeit a second stock. After the end of the match we all determined that the best course of action was to have the players go to a 1 stock, 3 minute match to determine the winner. Denti ended up winning the game and the set.

This situation was completely unfair to either player. Damien was forced to forfeit a stock when he was playing within the guidelines of the rules, but his abuse of planking could easily fall under the stalling rule. This was not clearly defined and caused a lot of drama for the next couple of hours. This set is my main reason for suggesting that this tournament not be counted in the PR, because the rules were not clearly defined and the TO chose to punish a player who was playing within the rules of the tournament.

In addition to this, the TO had to return people's money because he cancelled the doubles event and other side events after everyone had paid their way in, resulting in this basically being just a singles tournament. The TO also did seeding based on location rather than skill level; completely disregarding this PR in the first place. Overall this tournament was pretty much a failure and more than one participant expressed to me that they would not be attending another.

I did discuss this briefly with a few of the other players after the tournament was over and the general consensus was that it wouldn't really bother anyone if this was counted towards the PR; so this is simply my opinion and only my opinion at this time. I just wouldn't feel right if this was counted because of all the bull**** that happened while we were there.
Um.....bump?

Also - thank you for letting me know that K Prime, I'll keep that in mind if I ever have to consider double posting.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
A TO making up rules during the middle of a tournament because he "forgot something" or "didn't realize it was a problem" is at his own fault. He should NOT punish players because of this, as it was not the player's responsibility. Also, the fact that he didn't seed by skill (and then location) is just silly.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0

Update:

wooooooooooooooowww

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
If anything, that specific set shouldn't count - not the whole tournament.

There were some pretty good wins there - Denti beat Dphat and RedShadow beat Fogo.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
How do you know that the rules didn't affect other sets? Not knowing how many times you can grab the edge before losing a stock isn't exactly a comforting thought.

z00ted

Noone else has really said anything about it yet.

Did it effect Dphat vs Denti or Redshadow vs Fogo? I doubt it :/

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I mean knowing that ****** Dphat, it could have.

"Imma grab the edge and Nair a lot"

"Oh **** Damien got ***** for grabbing the edge"

Set... ALTERED

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I mean knowing that ****** Dphat, it could have.

"Imma grab the edge and Nair a lot"

"Oh **** Damien got ***** for grabbing the edge"

Set... ALTERED
LOOOOL this is so true

Honestly I don't think the tourney should count, too many miscommunications

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I understand. It is probably the correct thing to do, but at the same time I'm so hyped about RedShadow's and Denti's placings, it feels like it would be ashame for their placements to not be counted. That added to the fact that you said nobody would be bothered by it counting towards PR makes me want to push for it counting.

Just wanting to explain my huge bais here lol

EDIT: After looking at DMG's second post here... yeah, probably shouldn't count it. I can see it affecting a lot of people by making them scared of being punished by TO.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Damn. I think Andy just informed you quite unexpectedly what is going on.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I mean, in actual sets we have played, or moments where I let you go on to beat Keith and then get Exodia'd?

Yo Sync, here's what you do: shield anytime Dphat leaps into the air, and shuttle loop his Nairs.

z00ted

What was Zac saying about Espy/Xyro being able to update this?

z00ted

I have no control over this whatsoever, Ill.
Oh, alright. I was just thinking he would give it to you/Xyro/whoever when he said this:

Status update

Restructured the entire code base so that it can work with a config (don't have to know how to code to make changes). In other words, Xyro and anyone else I give this program to should be able to use it with ease.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yo I heard some Bowser beat DPhat in friendlies. That's what's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom