• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Nintendo owns Game Freak, Hal, and (I think)Creature. Nintendo does not own Camelot. They are independent. The observation was that all the series in Brawl (except 3rd parties) come from development teams owned by Nintendo. Camelot is not owned by Nintendo.
No, Nintendo doesn't own them (at least not HAL and Game Freak, I could be wrong on Creatures but I'm fairly certain they're not). That's why they're "second-parties," first-party means they're owned by Nintendo. Rare was also first-party for the record.

Side note, "second-party" is a misnomer. They're actually
third-parties
. Second-party refers to.....
you and me
. Surprise.

And backtracking a bit, Starphoenix and Arcadenik have it right: Isaac was an AT, I doubt Sakurai would care about ownership or who made him at this point. He'd be more likely to care about Diddy and the other DKC characters if that were the case.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Apperently it makes the popular main character less likely if his game is not completely new...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Apperently it makes the popular main character less likely if his game is not completely new...
Zero Suit Samus came from the GBA remake of the original NES Metroid.

Pokemon Trainer came from the GBA remake of the original GB Pokemon Red/Blue.

Pit came from the GBA port of the original NES Kid Icarus in Japan.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Zero Suit Samus came from the GBA remake of the original NES Metroid.

Pokemon Trainer came from the GBA remake of the original GB Pokemon Red/Blue.

Pit came from the GBA port of the original NES Kid Icarus in Japan.
I was sarcasm...i was pointing out how stupid of an argument it was >.>

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I have an important question!

If someone was to make a video game based off of DR. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, would it not qualify for ssb because it was a book first?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
No, Nintendo doesn't own them (at least not HAL and Game Freak, I could be wrong on Creatures but I'm fairly certain they're not). That's why they're "second-parties," first-party means they're owned by Nintendo. Rare was also first-party for the record.

Side note, "second-party" is a misnomer. They're actually
third-parties
. Second-party refers to.....
you and me
. Surprise.
I went back and looked, and yes, Game Freak and Hal are independent. I was mistaken when I looked them up last time. Creature, however, is owned by Nintendo and Hal, so it is not independent.

One thing I did find was this

A third-party developer is a developer not directly tied to the primary product that a consumer is using, although some, such as Insomniac Games, may have exclusive publishing agreements or other business relationships with a particular manufacturer while maintaining independence.

So HAL may still have some unique relationship to Nintendo as they only make games for Nintendo. They do make other products outside of videogames. I'll have to look into Pokemon as they have a whole mess of legal issues.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Files list him as Kid Quick, so the original arcade game from 1984.

Wait, why did people care if it was a remake or not again?
Originally someone said that Punch Out needs another game in order to get Little Mac into SSB4 and I was saying that there were 3 games and a remake (wikipedia shows there is even more). Someone thought it was more important to point out that my remake comment then whether or not Little Mac should be in Brawl.

I also had an idea about the level editor. They should make it so you can take parts from Adventure mode and other stages and put them into level editor. That way you save space with the reuse of items and you can make stages with certain themes (Mario, Metroid, etc...).

Jerome

Smash Apprentice
You guys may already know but I just saw the mystery generation 5 pokemon on youtube. It is called Zoroark if i remember correctly. It's a Dark type and it also has a pre-evolved stage but i forgot what it is called. I also heard Zoroark will be the main character in the next movie. Zoroark looks kinda cool. So since Zoroark is the new flavor of the month and it is getting its own movie I strongly feel the Pokemon roster will be this...

Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer (Gold)
Lucario
Zoroark
Jigglypuff

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
I went back and looked, and yes, Game Freak and Hal are independent. I was mistaken when I looked them up last time. Creature, however, is owned by Nintendo and Hal, so it is not independent.

One thing I did find was this

A third-party developer is a developer not directly tied to the primary product that a consumer is using, although some, such as Insomniac Games, may have exclusive publishing agreements or other business relationships with a particular manufacturer while maintaining independence.

So HAL may still have some unique relationship to Nintendo as they only make games for Nintendo. They do make other products outside of videogames. I'll have to look into Pokemon as they have a whole mess of legal issues.
You're thinking too hard over this.

Game Freak, Creatures, and Nintendo each own 1/3 of the Pokemon Company. Nintendo lists APE specifically (rather than Creatures) as an affiliate with equity method non-applied (means they own less than 20-25%). Nintendo has no stock in Game Freak, HAL Labs, or Camelot, though they own 50% of WARPSTAR, the company designed for Kirby merchandise and the anime. HAL owns the other 50%.

All of these companies sans Creatures have made games for other systems in the past but now make them exclusively for Nintendo. And we haven't even mentioned Shigesato Itoi, obviously he's not bound to Nintendo.

At any rate, the real question was whether or not being owned by Camelot would hurt anyone from Golden Sun being playable. Kirby, Pokemon, Mother, and Isaac's AT all outright say "don't worry, it's cool."

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i still think that little mac would be a mistake for ssb4. i mean come on am i the only one that thinks he is ridiculously boring???

TakDragon7

Smash Lord
Heatwave City, where air conditioners dont do jack
One thing that always fascinates me and should be put in SSB4 is if every character had their own story mode. It would be completely awesome, and would probably get a special and third character trophy.
Yes that would be pretty cool but I think it'll be too time consuming on their end. Who knows now in today's world, it can be done but I think it'll be too much for them to do it. Maybe they'll blow our minds with something else if this does/doesn't work.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
But what makes it so chaotic that this song wouldn't work there, even as a means of dissonance between the action and music (which plenty of songs in Brawl already do)? Classic Mega Man games in general aren't even that chaotic aside from stuff like instant kill beams. Even then, look at Green Hill Zone. That stage is retardedly tranquil compared to how Sonic games normally feel, even for Level 1 zones.

And the theme itself (post-whistle) is one of the more popular tracks, even if it's not nearly as prominent as the first five notes. Even if we ignore the association with the very popular character himself, scrapping it for more rock/techno from Whatever Man's stage or Wily Castle 500 hardly seems worthwhile.
Dissonance really isn't that great a thing when it comes to vg music. Good video game music fits its setting, instead of conflicting with it. Lounge Music in a evil castle filled with robots doesn't fit, and trying to remix the songs to fit it would in most cases take away from the theme. (Especially as in such a case it would take away from the character....but you're not even suggesting it be remixed to fit more with the castle, so its not a issue, now is it? :embarrass )

And while that may be true, its possible to just not replace it. Plus any song getting in, wouldn't really be Generic-Wily-Castle-Music #345. Only the best songs would be making it through.

Where's the rule that says bosses have to be three stories tall? Regular Adventure Mode enemies don't do that. And if they did, what's preventing a boxer from growing to super size for whatever reason? Or being like Giga Bowser in Melee (functions like a regular character, but deliberately stronger and unplayable)?

And how come I keep having to dispute all these imaginary limitations of yours?
Regular Adventure Mode enemies were enemies, not bosses. A giant Giga-version of a boxer is a option, though very unlikley.

All I'm saying as that for a boss in Smash, it should be something that can't be knocked around if its going to be something that's not playable. Otherwise...why not make it playable? Smaller "boss" characters did exist in SSE, such as Bowser, and those evil clones, but they were playable to go along with it. While the whole "giga" version of one of the boxers is a way to sort of get away from this problem, its sort of suspect to expect them getting such treatment.

Sounds like somone is gettting a little too into this. Mario 1 and 3 had completely different storylines. Mario 3 you had the kings changed into animals and the koopa kids. In Mario one you just had Bowser after every level. If you've played the NES punch out or read the instruction booklet then you would know that it's about a 17 yr old boy name Little Mac just becomeing a pro boxer and gains ranks to become a champion. His coach Doc Louis trains him to be a champ. Doc Louis wasn't in the Arcade and I'm sure he wasn't in Super Punch Out either. Even the Punch Out Commercial made a reference to being related to the NES game. Also they couldn't use Mike because then they would have him sign another contract and trying to make this family oriented that's not a good idea.
The commercial explicitly said Mac was making a comeback. The game had several different characters and mechanics. Really man, maybe you could call it a reboot, but it wasn't a remake.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
One thing that always fascinates me and should be put in SSB4 is if every character had their own story mode. It would be completely awesome, and would probably get a special and third character trophy.
I'm also hoping for character specific endings.

My current Character Wishlist:
Little Mac
King K. Rool
Isaac
Zoroark
Mega Man
No Jigglypuff

wiitubeaccount

Smash Apprentice
everything from melee but better grahpics. then just focus on making the mid to low tiers better( don't change their movesets just make them faster or stronger or more practical), but don't nerf anyone. for the new charachers that were in brawl some revamping might be needed. that is all.

Amazing Gameplay>more characters and everything else
Wi-fi, lots of advanced techniques, speedy, offensive
Oh yeah and make m2k a final boss.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's pretty much what is on my current wish list, too.

Dixie Kong
Duck Hunt Dog (for the lulz)
King K. Rool
Little Mac
Mega Man
Meowth (I still want Meowth, dammit!)
Mewtwo
Simon Belmont (he would be totally awesome and he deserves it)
Starfy
Takamaru
Tingle
Toad
Zoroark (at least for now)

Expect a new Fire Emblem lord
Expect the protagonist from Golden Sun DS

No Jigglypuff
No Travis Touchdown
No more Metal Gear characters
No more Sonic characters

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Dissonance really isn't that great a thing when it comes to vg music. Good video game music fits its setting, instead of conflicting with it. Lounge Music in a evil castle filled with robots doesn't fit, and trying to remix the songs to fit it would in most cases take away from the theme. (Especially as in such a case it would take away from the character....but you're not even suggesting it be remixed to fit more with the castle, so its not a issue, now is it? :embarrass )
Says you. Dissonance isn't inherently bad or good, it depends on the use. And considering I have no idea how you're imagining the stage itself, I can't see why you're fussing over how it might be arranged.

And while that may be true, its possible to just not replace it. Plus any song getting in, wouldn't really be Generic-Wily-Castle-Music #345. Only the best songs would be making it through.
"Best" is pretty subjective in Mega Man music. Every setlist I've seen has been wildly different aside from Wily's Castle from 2 and Protoman's full theme, and that's just for the classic series.

At any rate, I'm pretty much just harping on your taste, but I'd still be very surprised if they had a Mega Man stage without that song.

Regular Adventure Mode enemies were enemies, not bosses. A giant Giga-version of a boxer is a option, though very unlikley.

All I'm saying as that for a boss in Smash, it should be something that can't be knocked around if its going to be something that's not playable. Otherwise...why not make it playable? Smaller "boss" characters did exist in SSE, such as Bowser, and those evil clones, but they were playable to go along with it. While the whole "giga" version of one of the boxers is a way to sort of get away from this problem, its sort of suspect to expect them getting such treatment.
Few things:

1. Enemies don't have to necessarily be a specific size to prevent being knocked around. Remember Melee's enemies? Metal Primids? Who says Bald Bull or someone couldn't fight like that? And even then, what's the problem with being knocked around again (aside from Brawl's enemies having the universal weakness to juggling)?

2. How many games out there have enemies that play just like a regular character, but are stronger and unplayable? Oh yeah, every fighting game ever, including Smash (even if those were just variations on existing characters). Nothing says they can't do this for other characters, even though I'd prefer they didn't.

If bigger sizes were required, what'd be the problem with upscaling boxers again? Tell me you're not gonna give me the "we need to maintain canon sizes/ratios" bit, especially when opponents that dwarf the player is a Punch-Out requirement anyway.

@Wishlist People: Are you guys listing Zoroark because you actually want him in the next game or because "it's inevitable" so suddenly?

edit @Rapier guy: It doesn't matter if it's a remake or not. It's a full game, it's recent, and it was very well received. That's all that counts.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
The commercial explicitly said Mac was making a comeback. The game had several different characters and mechanics. Really man, maybe you could call it a reboot, but it wasn't a remake.
If the story was about Little Mac making a comeback then why would he have a 0-0-0 record. In real world boxing even when a person retires and comes back they still retain their old records.

If your basing the idea on new characters then I guess you believe that Starfox 64 isn't a remake. The original starfox didn't have levels like Solar and Fichina. Don't get me started on the added mechanics.

On a more sophisticated note...

Adventure mode I think they should have each character with their own world but able to cross into other worlds. Some worlds would be merge because the immediate cross overs (DK and Mario). I did like the one person you said they should also have a "City" world for all the characters that don't have a real universe (e.g. Little Mac). Actually they cold make it that Little Mac is from a Psudeo real world and that's where Mario is from but he found the warp to the Mushroom Kingdom. All the worlds will be linked to a Smash world (seen in Brawl) and merged to Final destination.

Also they should take items from adventure mode and they can be use in level editor. Imagine what horrors you can do with an invisible block from Mario. I could make a Kaizo stage Mwahahaha!! Also be able to download pics like backgrounds to make more themed based stages.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
... Also be able to download pics like backgrounds to make more themed based stages.
that is good. but having a hentai pic in the background is a little bit disturbing. (hahaha) i think it is a good idea to expand upon this one thought... lets say that in a wii specific website, freelance artists render a background and submit it to nintendo's wii specific website for voting and/or retouching by other good artists (like myself, though i am broke i could if i had the software and the hardware) nintendos website is so that it is user friendly.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Says you. Dissonance isn't inherently bad or good, it depends on the use. And considering I have no idea how you're imagining the stage itself, I can't see why you're fussing over how it might be arranged.
I guess "good" and "bad" here are generally going to be subjective, but for the most part people usually complain about the songs that don't generally fit into a stage, though there's a greater amount of complaining about songs that aren't really meant to be fought to, even if they do fit the image of the stage. (Ai no Uta for example gets a lot of slack)

As far as images go for Wily's Castle, I'm just working off the general idea of a somewhat (though not overly) dark factory with lots of mechanical doo-hickies in the background, with some enemies popping in here and there. The general colors would probably be silver and dark blue I would imagine. Possibly there could be a window of the outside which would be a dark and stormy sky.

"Best" is pretty subjective in Mega Man music. Every setlist I've seen has been wildly different aside from Wily's Castle from 2 and Protoman's full theme, and that's just for the classic series.
I guess it is, but there are generally enough popular songs that I would think that the pottential tracklist wouldn't have some generic tune that no one liked.

Also, I'm sort of surprised about that thing about the setlists you've seen. While I would think that Protoman's theme would be something that you'd see often enough, I'm sort of surprised you would see it as much as Wily's Castle 1 (or is it 2-1? 1-2? Bleh, there's really no good way of labeling that song.)

Few things:

1. Enemies don't have to necessarily be a specific size to prevent being knocked around. Remember Melee's enemies? Metal Primids? Who says Bald Bull or someone couldn't fight like that? And even then, what's the problem with being knocked around again (aside from Brawl's enemies having the universal weakness to juggling)?

2. How many games out there have enemies that play just like a regular character, but are stronger and unplayable? Oh yeah, every fighting game ever, including Smash (even if those were just variations on existing characters). Nothing says they can't do this for other characters, even though I'd prefer they didn't.

If bigger sizes were required, what'd be the problem with upscaling boxers again? Tell me you're not gonna give me the "we need to maintain canon sizes/ratios" bit, especially when opponents that dwarf the player is a Punch-Out requirement anyway.
1. Melee's enemies were knocked around technically. Metal enemies are a different matter, and sort of fall under the whole Giga-thing. Its established that metal characters are hard to knock around. Anyways, the problem with being knocked around for a established character like that, especially if they are a boss with several different moves, is that with that sort of effort put into them, then there's little point in not just making them playable. If you have a Bald Bull that's only around the height of Ganondorf, has several moves, and can get knocked around like a normal Smash character, what exactly is holding that character back from being playable? I guess there is the excuse of being lazy, but when all that effort is put into it already, it seems like a easy thing to do.

2. I wouldn't say every fighter, unless you're talking about supped up final bosses. In that case, I think we can easily agree that Bald Bull wouldn't be a final boss.

3. As someone who supports Ridley as a playable character, I don't have a real problem with tweaking the sizes to a degree. That being said though, doing so to Bald Bull, or most of the other PO boxers would probably not be a smart move. Little Mac is smaller than every other fighter, but he's tall enough that they can generally box him in a convincing manner without needing to lean over him or something. If you make Bald Bull the size of Petey Piranha, then the guy will be bending down or leaning over to dish out a good deal of attacks, and from the standard Smash perspective, that would just look silly. Think of him trying to jab Pikachu at that height.

If the story was about Little Mac making a comeback then why would he have a 0-0-0 record. In real world boxing even when a person retires and comes back they still retain their old records.

If your basing the idea on new characters then I guess you believe that Starfox 64 isn't a remake. The original starfox didn't have levels like Solar and Fichina. Don't get me started on the added mechanics.
In the real world, a boxer isn't allowed to assault the reff, and then use a boxing glove tied to a rope in the middle of a match. In the real world, someone with Glass Joe's record couldn't challenge the champ.

And SF64 isn't a remake either. Its a reboot. It restarts the story, but its not the same game. There's a difference here.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
that is good. but having a hentai pic in the background is a little bit disturbing. (hahaha) i think it is a good idea to expand upon this one thought... lets say that in a wii specific website, freelance artists render a background and submit it to nintendo's wii specific website for voting and/or retouching by other good artists (like myself, though i am broke i could if i had the software and the hardware) nintendos website is so that it is user friendly.
Oh good point. That would be a very distracting background for everyone and not to mention some little kid plays online and that pops up :embarrass. But Brawl's level editor seem like it was design to have downloadable content but they scrapped that idea. They could make it that you have a certain amount of storage for parts and items and with a computer you can swap items, background, and other tools.

@Pieman
I think your getting your terminology mixed up. A Remake is when they take a game and redo it with modern graphics and add new content. Famous Remake excluding Punch Out and Starfox would be Metroid Zero Mission from the NES Metroid, Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green are remakes from the original Red/Blue games. Each have extra content (e.g. Super missles and VS seeker).
A Reboot is when they make a game to bring back the series which Punch Out is as well. Starfox 64 wasn't a reboot because they were making starfox 2 but the N64 came out first and scrapped it. So Punch Out is a reboot and a remake.

As for real boxing there are times when the ref gets assaulted (even in the Olympics) and people use weapons (though not as obvious as Ryan's weapon). It's illegal yes but Punch Out is suppose to be a toony and blown out of porportion game. And I think Jack Dempsey was given a title fight in his first pro fight, if not in MMA UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar got his title fight in only 3 pro fights (with a 2-1-0 record). If the fans want to see it then they will make them fight.

As for the Boss battles why do they have to be big ogres in order to not get knocked around. You can have some normal size guys that don't flinch. They can also can do moves that normal characters can't (1-hit KO, flying, Can only be attack at certain moments). Not saying this could be use for Bald Bull but other boss characters can be use.

@Everyone Else
Sorry if this arguement is bothering you but I'm having too much fun with it. If you guys want me to stop just say it. I know the whole remake arguement is pointless and not part of SSB4.

aextreme73

Smash Apprentice
As much as i want more smash bros, i'd rather wait and let the games develop more content so that more can go into the next game. A lot happened between melee and brawl (in video game history) and i think the gamer community would like just as much effort that went into Brawl to go into the next game. Point being that it's gonna be a while

What I'd like to see?
More characters: a few more 3rd party but not too much, and giving them more diverse attacks (sonics side b = sonics down b relatively the same)
Lots more stages
Adventure mode, I liked subspace, but the villain was kinda vague, not like master hand, I'd like some new concept, like good guys vs bad guys or something like that
Online, FIX IT. start with the epic lag and then to friend codes
Link- fix his recovery please
Falcon- you know, he hasn't been the same after melee, we should've kept him there, no dumbing down plz
Balance. I'm more of a fan for the brawl engine, but balance characters. Even though there's no way of telling how the players will develop the characters, i'd be nice if they made it a little more serious of a fighting game instead of referring to it as a party game and adding some new mechanics

character wish list
Geno (mario rpg)
mallow (mario rpg)
zero (mega man x or zero)
baby mario+luigi
twilight wolf + midna (seperate from link)
young link (majora's mask) (down B works like zelda, except he uses his deku, goron and zora masks)
Toon Link- revamp him, new character, make him his four swords incarnation and allow him to use his other 3 (idk how this would work, but im sure nintendo could come up with something)
Travis (No More Heroes)- PG-13 him up a bit, and use his crazy antics in brawl
Pkmn Trainer - same concept, but have every color change be a diff trainer from a diff region with different starters and diff moves(WOW right)

that's all for now but i'm sure i could think of more during the day

GOOD THREAD.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
That's pretty much what is on my current wish list, too.

Dixie Kong
Duck Hunt Dog (for the lulz)
King K. Rool
Little Mac
Mega Man
Meowth (I still want Meowth, dammit!)-you and me both
Mewtwo
Simon Belmont (he would be totally awesome and he deserves it)woot, though if not him, Soma Cruz or Trevor would be an OK backup
Starfy
Takamaru
Tingle
Toad
Zoroark (at least for now)

Expect a new Fire Emblem lord
Expect the protagonist from Golden Sun DS

No Jigglypuff-):
No Travis Touchdown:(
No more Metal Gear characters
No more Sonic characters:)

I like, though this list severely lacks Mike Jones(Startropics).

everything from melee but better grahpics.I'd rather have a syntesis of the last 2 then a flat-out shift back to Melee. then just focus on making the mid to low tiers better( don't change their movesets just make them faster or stronger or more practical), but don't nerf anyone. like death and taxes, buffs and nerfs must be made. that's life.for the new charachers that were in brawl some revamping might be needed. that is all.

Amazing Gameplay>more characters and everything elseyeah, let's sacrifice the very basis of Smash bros to appase the hardcores. that will work well.
Wi-fi, lots of advanced techniques, speedy, offensiveNintendo isn't Sega. they aren't going to make games for only the hardest of Hardcore(except maybe Fire Emblem
Oh yeah and make m2k a final boss.now about this, while it might have been sarcastic, In Virtua Fighter, there is a difficulty where you fight CPUs that emulate professional player's styles. Something like this could be pretty cool...

n88

Smash Lord
Poll Results (As of right now. This poll is still open, so if you haven't voted, then please do so. Remember, you can vote for as many characters as you want)

(48)Mega Man
(44)Mewtwo
(41)Isaac or GS3 Protagonist
(40)King K. Rool
(39)Ridley
(39)Bowser Jr.
(37)Little Mac

(32)Krystal
(30)Roy
(29)Vaati
(29)Midna
(29)Geno
(27)Toon Zelda/Tetra
(26)Another Sonic Character

(25)Black Shadow
(25)Starfy
(23)Dixie Kong
(22)Lyn
(22)Ray Mk III
(21)Waluigi
(21)Dark Samus
(21)Toad

(20)Kamek
(19)Meowth
(18)Black Mage
(17)Samurai Goroh
(17)Captain Syrup
(17)Lip
(16)Saki
(16)Claus
(16)Black Knight

(15)Deoxys
(15)Lloyd Irving
(14)Smash OC
(14)Tingle
(14)Mach Rider
(13)Plusle & Minun
(11)Andy
(11)An SC Character
(11)Sukapon

(10)Rosalina
(10)Pac-Man
(10)Captain Rainbow
(10)Chocobo
(10)Daisy
(10)Grey Fox
(10)Takamaru
(10)Baby Mario

(9)Porky
(9)Chibi-Robo
(9)Mona
(9)Duck Hunt Dog
(8)Jeff
(5)Jody Summer
(4)Ninten
(3)Louie

The Other votes I received vary greatly, ranging from Batman to Bomberman. The only character with any recurring appearance in the Other section is Paper Mario, with 5 votes.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Welcome to the thread, but big pictures aren't neccessary. We are pretty up to date with characters.

Also the fact that Punch Out got a remake/reboot so many years after it's original release shows the likelyhood that Mac will join.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
*looks at n88's list*

*sees Black Shadow over Goroh*

I need some type of reaction face that shows my disappointment in the Smash community. =/

Anyways, the definition of whether something is a remake or a reboot is sort of pointless, since it doesn't change Mac's chances, but seriously, Punch Out Wii isn't the old game, and Star Fox 64 is not the original Star Fox. They may take the general stories from their previous games, but they are still not remakes. And it doesn't have to do with the amount of time that passes between one game and another. Its a matter of when a new game comes along, and reboots continuity. Zero Mission and FR/LG are specifically the older games with added content, while PO Wii and SF64 restart the story/series as something new.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Playable Characters

-Fawful
-Neku Sakuraba
-Lyn
-Zant
-Wolf Link
-Starfy
-Amaterasu

And so on...
Aside from Wolf Link being a bit iffy, I love that list. I'd almost rather see Minamimoto pull off a yoctogram Kick-boxing (Two bad jokes, I'm sorry) than Neku, but TWEWY was an amazing handheld game IMO.

And that list above... Well...

I like a lot of stuff on it, but I dislike the numbers. I also dislike the lack of characters, and am annoyed slightly with the community wanting more Sonic characters. Plus, no Minamimoto. I'll give it an F, but for Effort, not for Failure.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Did that poll ever leave SmashBoards? Would've liked to have seen a higher turnout.

*looks at n88's list*

*sees Black Shadow over Goroh*

I need some type of reaction face that shows my disappointment in the Smash community. =/
$10 says at least half of Black Shadow's votes were from Zelda fans.

@guy above me: There aren't any other non-MGS Konami characters listed anyway and Metal Storm is way past hopelessly obscure.

Actually, yeah, why the option for more Sonic and Metal Gear but no different Sega/Konami series? How am I supposed to vote for B.D. Joe and Bill Rizer at the same time?

Kollin

Smash Rookie
Mario series
Toad: If any Mario character gets in, it'll be Toad. He would likely use a moveset mainly based on Wario's Woods and SMB2, resulting in blistering speed and high power combined with some powerful projectile attacks.

Pokemon series
Pokemon trainer costumes

-Gary/Blue: Blastoise/Charmeleon/Bulbasaur
--Blastoise is a Bowser clone.
--Charmeleon is smaller Charizard without wings.
--Bulbasaur is just smaller Ivysaur.

-Leaf/Green: Venusaur/Wartortle/Charmander
--Venusaur: Bigger, heavier Ivysaur.
--Wartortle: Larger, slightly heavier Squirtle
--Charmander: Smaller version of Charmeleon.

-Gold: Typhlosion/Bayleef/Totodile
--Typhlosion: Wingless charizard.
--Bayleef: Direct clone of Ivysaur.
--Totodile: Shell less Squirtle.

-May/Sapphire: Blaziken/Grovyle/Mudkip
--Blaziken: C.Falcon clone.
--Grovyle: Ivysaur without spore/vine attacks.
--Mudkip: Shell less Squirtle.

More after I get back from school. XD

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Did that poll ever leave SmashBoards? Would've liked to have seen a higher turnout.

$10 says at least half of Black Shadow's votes were from Zelda fans.

@guy above me: There aren't any other non-MGS Konami characters listed anyway and Metal Storm is way past hopelessly obscure.

Actually, yeah, why the option for more Sonic and Metal Gear but no different Sega/Konami series? How am I supposed to vote for B.D. Joe and Bill Rizer at the same time?
I'm in the other half who didn't vote for Black Shadow. I'm fine with Ganondorf's moveset now. He never used a sword in Ocarina of Time but he did in The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I think Sakurai did not really want to radically alter Ganondorf's moveset from Melee to Brawl. Maybe he wants to change Ganondorf's moveset little bit for little bit, as shown with his new side B move and a few changes to some of his A moves. Maybe SSB4 Ganondorf will be a bit different from Brawl's Ganondorf and might seem radically different when compared to Melee's Ganondorf.

I guess you could always vote Other if you wanted to vote for other Konami characters...?

n88

Smash Lord

I've been lazy and haven't really pushed it outside of Smashboards yet. Just posting the results here brought in ~100 votes, though, so I probably should start advertising more.

As for the lack of other SEGA and Konami characters... For the most part, the characters on the poll are the ones who come up a lot in this thread, and additional Sonic characters/Grey Fox tend to be mentioned more often than other SEGA/Konami guys.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Anyways, the definition of whether something is a remake or a reboot is sort of pointless, since it doesn't change Mac's chances, but seriously, Punch Out Wii isn't the old game, and Star Fox 64 is not the original Star Fox. They may take the general stories from their previous games, but they are still not remakes. And it doesn't have to do with the amount of time that passes between one game and another. Its a matter of when a new game comes along, and reboots continuity. Zero Mission and FR/LG are specifically the older games with added content, while PO Wii and SF64 restart the story/series as something new.
Pointless? That's the whole purpose of this debate I thought? Also not giving any substantial evidence to support your arguement.

Wikipedia
"This game is not a sequel to the SNES game, but rather a plot remake, the true first game."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_(series)

Starfox Wikia
"Additionally, it is a reimagined remake of the original Star Fox, and the first to be released on the Nintendo 64."
http://starfox.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Fox_64

Punch Out Wikia
" In the NES incarnations of Punch-Out!! as well as the 2009 Wii reboot, Doc Louis can often be seen training Little Mac during cinematics,"
http://punchout.wikia.com/wiki/Doc_Louis

Little Mac returns to the W.V.B.A. after 15 years in the new Punch-Out!! title for Wii, which is considered a remake of the original NES games.
http://punchout.wikia.com/wiki/Little_Mac

Wikipedia
"Enhanced remake of the NES versions, developed by Next Level Games. It is also the first title in the series to be rendered in three-dimensions and full motion video, as well as the first to include a multiplayer option and optional motion based controls."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch-Out!!

Now I've given facts and quated sources. If you won't accept it then your just being stubborn. This is my Coupe de Graw.

As for Little Mac's chances of getting in I believe he's one of the top contenders (no pun intended) to get in SSB4. He relates to the old school gamers like myself and the new. He's an even more iconic figure then Ice Climbers, Rob, or even Pit. He also offers a unique style of fighting that I think Sakurai will enjoy trying (Judging by C. Falcon, MGW, and Rob).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom