• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
This thread is for the discussion of SSB4, and what your hopes for the game are. Everything from character lists to new features should go in this thread. Any other threads on the boards regarding this issue will be locked.

EDIT (6/7/11): Nintendo has announced that Masahiro Sakurai is working on a new Smash game for both the Nintendo 3DS and the Nintendo WiiU, and that these two will somehow work together. No details other than the announcement itself have been released. Development is likely extremely early or hasn't started yet, as Iwata mentioned this will be the made after Sakurai is done with Kid Icarus for the 3DS. We will have no idea as to how many years it will take before the new Smash is completed, but a logical estimate would be late 2013 to 2014.

WiiU Controller (note: console is backwards compatible with Wii controllers but no news on Gamecube controllers)

WiiU Console

Ryazan

Smash Ace
FINALLY. I've been waiting for this. I am sick of the millions of SSB4 threads.

My wish list:

Improve online play

Improve Stage Builder

Add more Sonic characters

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
You know what would be cool? If they put every playable character from Nintendo and Sega.

That would be amazing.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Finally, with this thread we can stop most of the SSB4 threads in the Brawl Boards.

Anyways, in the next Smash Bros, I will expect to see the Fairy of the Flowers. The one and only Lip.

Some people could dream, "sigh" some people could dream.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Playable characters: Everyone who was removed from Melee, Ridley, Dark Samus, and any F-Zero rep. Also, 4 Final smashes ftw XD

ANYWAY, I would prefer a better stage builder as well. AND I want 02 to be a boss. o_o

@ FortunArcanum

Ninten = Ness. o_o adding Ninten now would be like adding Samus.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
cool thread, but anyways I hope Megaman (who should have been in Brawl btw! Sakurai will be in the next installment of Smash, but this gets me thinking, will there even be another smash?

Good ol' Megaman:

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I have been thinking about this for a while now. The first thing to do is get Sakurai off of the Smash Bros projects. You need to get someone in who can think of the competitive scene and the casual scene. Someone who is creative and will make an epic game. Someone who will keep to their word.

The most obvious fixes are no more clones. That means a lot of work is going to be needed for Fox, Falco, and Wolf. I don't even know why Gannon is a clone. I am not sure how to fix the space animals but I have some ideas for Gannondorf.

Usmash - Captain Falcons Usmash but more powerful like it was in melee.
Dair - The stomp should stay with Gannon

b- His dark energy orbs from Ocarania of Time. The more you charge it the more that shoot out.
down b - Silver spears fall from above Gannon and land next to him on either side. Somewhat like DK's down B.
side b- He thrust across the stage with his sword out. Like Ike's except, he doesn't have to charge it and he doesn't swing the sword he just runs into his foe.

Uair - He thrust his sword into the air
fair - He swings his sword in front of him. The middle spikes
bair - Like Captain Falcon's bair except add a sword to it.

Dsmash - Gannon slams his sword into the ground causing a small shockwave on both sides of him. Like Charizards D-smash
Fsmash - Could be another sword smash or just a really strong punch

So that is one Clone out of the way.

Story mode: One of the main issues with Story mode was that it was pretty repetitive. You have a wide list of game characters many of which came from side scrollers. Utilize their different level style then just walk around fight enemies reach the end. Through in some jumping, platforming, puzzles, speed runs. I bet you could even get away with some Strategy Role playing levels.

I came up with an idea for a story. It starts out with your villains getting trounced by their respective arch rival and turned into a trophy. Eggman and Master hand round up the villains and create a little alliance between them all. Eggman has hatched a plan that require collecting energy sources in order to power his new secret weapon that will allow the villains to rule their respective worlds. The robot also has the ability to utilize moves from other fighters. So as a side mission the villains are to collect the DNA of all the heroes. In the end the crystal shards, chaos emeralds, powerstars, and triforce of power are rounded up. The robot, I figure would look something like Emerl but maybe a bit more generic, thus gains this immense power and the ability to fight like anyone of the playable characters. Gannondorf and Bowser transfrom into Gannon and Giga bowser. The heroes defeat them. Followed by a fight with Master hand who has used the energy source to summon crazy hand to help him. The robot eventually goes crazy during eggman's repairs after its initial defeat. Everyone has to team up to stop it. The final bout would pay some fan servie to the Mario and Sonic fans as the two would have to team up and go into supercharged forms to fight the robot.

Basically the story mode whould be more varied and have more boss fights.

Classic mode, touch the platfrom and race to the finish would return. All star would once again end with fighting forty Mr. Game and Watch. You would fight the fighting team before facing off with Masterhand again. Score will once again be brought back.

Training mode will now give you more options. You can set the computer to do specific action such as specific attacks. This way you can test thoroughly individual moves and tactics.

I was thinking that Smash balls would be turned into specials. You would build up your special meter based on rewards for certain actions. Teching the ground, wall teching, meteor cancelling, power sheilding, spot dodging an attack. Maybe makes this feature able to be turned off. I think it would add a different dimension to the game. You could no longer spam because your opponent could build up their special. You would have to play a more cautious and less noobish game.

As far as the physics go, I would like to have the game in between Melee and Brawl. Faster than brawl but not as fast as Melee. Not as floaty as brawl either.

Random tripping would be taken out but forcing your opponent to trip by using something like your down tilts will stay in and so will footstool jumps.

I figure the game will be called Super Smash brothers Royale.

Grandeza

Smash Master
Support Blooper for SSB4!

STATS
Size-2
Weight-3
Power-2.5
Speed-3
Fall Speed-2

MOVESET
A-Tentacle slap-3%
AA-Other tentacle-4%
AAA-Ink-7%
Dash A-Blooper falls on his face at twice his running speed-10%

Forward tilt-Long ranged tentacle hit
up tilt-rising headbutt-8%
down tilt-360 spinning tentacles around-6%

Nair-360-4%
Fair-spin forward(like sonic's fair on drugs)-8%
Uair-Ink fountain up-6%
Bair-tentacle-2%
Dair-Tentacle swung downwards(spikes)-10%

F-smash-Headbutt-5-22%
Up-smash-Tentacle swipe up-3-18%
Down smash- ink at the ground in front of you-5-19%

Standard Special-(Ink Spew) You can charge this up. Once fully charged Blooper spews ink automatically. The longer you charge it the faster and more ink he spews.
Damage:5-20

Forward Special:Tentacle slap-blooper slaps down his tentacle in front of him. Very little startup lag.
Damage:14

Down special:spark-Electricity appears around blooper. Blooper does have electric abilities(look it up on wiki if you disagree)you can charge this move for more electricity.
Damage:7-19%

Up special:ink jet-blooper jets himself upward with ink damaging anyone in his path.You can charge it and control its trajectory.
Damage:7

Final smash-Blooper floods the stage with water. With the stage submerged, everyone must swim. They do not have high speeds when swimming. In the water are 10 to 20 bloopers that swim at high speeds attacking opponents. they give high knockback and about 15 damage each.

Alou

Smash Cadet
I'm hoping for more characters obviously, Megaman being one. Keep pretty much all the ones we have now just differentiate some of them up a bit. Better online and stage builder would be nice too. :)

cman

Smash Ace
The most obvious fixes are no more clones. That means a lot of work is going to be needed for Fox, Falco, and Wolf.
Say what? Fox and Falco aren't that close anymore, and Wolf is nowhere near either of them.

Is this speculation/hope or has another one been confirmed or hinted at?

On topic, random tripping needs to die, but stuff like the banana tripping is a pretty cool addition to the game imo.

gorgon.

Smash Ace
Add more Landmasters.:)

No, seriously, we need more Metroid reps. Ridley for sure.
Better online.
Rid Smash of clones.
Why is that all I can think of?

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
All I want is ALL characters, stages and items from SBB, SSBM, SSBB and new ones.

Oh, and they should TRY to balance everything. And a ranking system like Mario Kart or better.

^_^

Ilex

Smash Ace
New Characters I want.

Mario: Toad, and Geno if Nintendo makes a deal with Square Enix.
Yoshi: Baby Mario.
LoZ: Tingle, Midna.
Metroid: Ridley.
Kirby: Gooey.
Pikmin: Louie.
F-Zero: Samurai Goro.
Pokemon: Psychic legendary from 5th Gen. If not then Meowth and an upgraded PT.
Sonic: Knuckles.
New Characters: Paper Mario (Wouldn't be a clone of Mario, srslylol), Isaac, Animal Crosser/Tom Nook.
Retro Character: Balloon Fighter(s)/Balloon Kids, Lil Mac.
Third-Party: Worm (From Worms).

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
1) Sakurai can NOT develop this game
2) Make the gameplay as close to Melee, but more advanced
3) Custom sticker movesets

Some desired characters are:

9-Volt: The reasoning for this character is because he is chalked full of nostalgia. All of his attacks will consist of using a controller to attack with an 8-bit character that is summoned to the field of battle.

Primary GS Character: Golden Sun might have a new game released soon enough which might include a new protagonist. If there is not a new protagonist, Isaac will take the character spot.

Advance Wars CO: An AW rep with a unique moveset revolving around buying units.

Master Chief: Because

fkacyan

Smash Hero
And I was about to berate the nub who posted another one of these, and of course it was a mod.

Issac for top tier.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
royale is not a synonym for some sort of fight.
More like Battle Royale I wasn't sure if that would be too long though. SSBBR seems like a lot of letters to me.

I would like to see Isaac and Alex as representatives for Golden Sun with Felix as an assist trophy. Issac would use Djinn and psyenergy as his attacks while Alex would use pure psyenergy. Alex's Final smash would be diamond berg and Isaac's would be Ragnarok. Felix would be an assist trophy that uses Meggido.

Geno would be a good addition to the game since so many want to see him. The person in charge of SSB4 would have to go down and talk with Square about getting him added.

As for other third party characters I think they should be limited unless the company really begs nintendo for their inclusion.

Online needs to be redesigned. At the very least their needs to be options for stock matches. There needs to be the ability to choose how many people you want to fight. There should be no input delay or lag.

The way I see it. You choose how large you want to search, local, regional, worldwide. Then you choose how many players you wish to fight. After that you choose what kind of match you would want to play. Like an advanced search kind of thing. It pairs you up with people that want to play the same way or pretty close to the same way as you. Also they should make it so you can have a large number of friends. You should be able to add people if you had a good time with them. A friend code request system.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I'd call it Ultimate Super Smash Bros. (just like Mortal Kombat) I dunno Lawl.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Here is what I want to see:

1. Sakurai to NOT develop the game.
Considering that this is a fighting game, it's inherently competitive and we cannot have someone working on it who has an opposite philosophy. It's like trying to make Manhunt not violent.

2. No similar/clone characters.
Either declone them completely or make them alternate characters which brings me to my next request.

3. Alternate characters.
This would solve the issue of clones and it would also let other characters be playable. Basically, these characters exist underneath other characters. These alternate characters have their own name and voice. Now, we no longer have only pallet swaps.

4. Bring Mewtwo back.
Nuff' said. I don't care if he's alt., just bring him back.

5. More accurate movesets.
This is mostly applying to the MOTHER series since the only move that either the kids learn in their own game is PK Flash. However, this also applies to other quirks such as Samus having a flame thrower and having the grappling beam coming out her gun when it now comes from her left hand.

6. Add more girls.
Brawl did not add any, excluding Zamus, and there is not enough representation of the girls. Paula, Kumatora, Midna, Captain Syrup, Mona, Ashley, Jody Summer, Lip, and more are viable fighters.

7. Have the designers not think that a character wouldn't work.
By Sakurai's logic, we shouldn't have an AC character. Considering that none of the stuff in SSB makes no sense, this is no different.

8. Add some retro and Japan-only characters.
They show some diversity in the roster and Nintendo can use this an opportunity to see if a demand is sufficient for a revival or bringing a game outside of Japan.

9. Let the fans submit movesets for characters prior to the roster is decided.
This gives characters a chance when they have movesets that might be hard to make up.

10. Be more careful on the trophy descriptions.
In Brawl and Melee, there have been a number of inaccuracies such as Wolf knowing James when that has never been said or implied. Instead, let the development teams who handle each series write these descriptions.

11. Be diverse in trophy selections.
Brawl had mostly trophies who were just straight 3D rips. This ended up with the list consisting of trophies from recent games and not the older games, retro or not.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Well, I believe that they won't change the roster that much for SSB4, but they'll add in a few more attacks and more alternate costumes. Every character in Brawl has at least two alt costume choices, so why is Wario alone special?

My Dream Roster for SSB4:

The Marioverse team is fine - 7 of the Big 8 of Mario are represented, and Diddy is important in his own right (Diddy Kong Racing). Dr. Mario was superfluous in Melee, but could easily be adapted as an alt for Mario.

Zelda needs to get rid of Toon Link and replace him either with the REAL WW Link (with tools and skills from WW, MC and PH), Tingle (I don't see why everyone hates him, and he's the most important character before the Triforce Three), or a new character from the eventually-upcoming Zelda Wii. And they need to friggin' declone Ganondorf. If they use the Zelda Wii incarnation of Link as Link, they can give him the OoT and TP incarnations (from Melee and Brawl respectively) as alts, same with Zelda and Dorf.

Metroid needs another rep. Ridley, Sylux or Dark Samus would all work, though the latter two would probably be semi-clones of Samus. Zamus can stay, but get rid of the Final Smash transforming mechanic, and make her transformable like Zelda or PT. Samus has multiple alt possibilities, but most likely would be a "true" Fusion Suit.

All of the retro characters stay, but they could probably give ROB some better moves. As it stands now, the only thing ROB has that isn't original is his gyromite (down b). they could've incorporated Professor Hector in there, perhaps as an assist trophy or Final Smash. I've always imagined ICs having Balloon Fighter alt costumes, and Pit is fine as he is (though I wouldn't mind seeing an alt that's more true to his original form). G&W stays as he is.

Kirby series is fine. Olimar can stay, though he would probably be pretty close to the cut list if they were running out of dev time. Kirby would have a Waddle Dee alt, but I can't think of alts for Meta or D3.

Starfox characters? Either Wolf or Falco get cut, though it would be a close call; I think Falco innovates a bit more, but Wolf is a bit more important story-wise. If they had time, they could add Krystal, who we all thought would be a shoe-in (along with Ridley, Geno and Megaman), who would be a great deal more unique than Falco/Wolf.

Captain Falcon stays. If they had time, they could add in Samurai Goroh (with sword-based A moves and altered Falcon specials), or remix Ganondorf's moveset for use in a semi-clone Black Shadow or Blood Falcon.

For the Pokemon, Mewtwo comes back. They mix Melee Mewtwo and Brawl Lucario together, take the best of both movesets, and give it to Mewtwo with a Lucario alt. Maybe the Trainer would update his Pokemon to the Generation V starters, or they would just add another Trainer with that set. Jiggs would be close to getting deleted. Pichu would become a Pikachu alt.

FE keeps Marth and Ike, gets Roy back. Roy gets a fire projectile, a chargeable Counter with the same effect as Flare Blade (damages if charged too long) and better power and range than Marth (less than Ike), average speed, and a center sweetspot. Ike gets a Greil/Black Knight alt, Roy gets an Eliwood alt, Marth gets a Sigurd alt.

Mother is fine, though they could modify Ness or Lucas' moveset to add a few things they actually learned in-game (PK Rockin/Love as Final Smashes, maybe an Offense/Speed Up special). Ness gets a Paula alt, Lucas gets a Claus (Masked Man) alt.

Newcomers:
-As mentioned, Tingle, Ridley/Sylux/Dark Samus, Krystal, possibly a new Pokemon Trainer, possibly an F-Zero rep.
-Isaac from Golden Sun. If Golden Sun 3 is released, Isaac is all but guaranteed a spot in Brawl.
-If he actually appears in a canon Mario game, Waluigi could possibly take a roster spot. He has a number of random abilities (shiny eyes, swimming through invisible water, bombs, shadow thorns, etc) that would make a very random and unpredictable moveset. He could be the new joke character (again, assuming he does something of importance).
-Stafy is apparently one of Nintendo's upcoming franchises. If Brawl generates enough NA interest in Densetsu no Stafy, he could easily make the jump from assist to full-blown playable.
-Ray from Custom Robo. If you ever get a chance to play a Custom Robo game, it's a ton of fun, and again, Ray has a lot of moveset potential (as long as he was resized ala Kirby and Olimar)
-Someone to represent the "casual" side of Nintendo. Miis, Kawashima, Dr. Lobe... something like that. I'm not saying I want those characters specifically, but something to represent that.
-Smash is overdue for an original character. Whether it's someone like the Polygons/Wireframes/Alloys, or a story-based character like the Ancient Minister, I'm sure they could think of something.

Megaman is a must for new third-party characters. Sonic stays for sure, Snake might stay (but nerf him, for Master Hand's sake!). Three third-party characters is good, though Knuckles or Shadow could work if there's extra space.

I like the "Smash Meter" suggested by one of the previous posters. It's not exactly in the style of Smash to have a special bar, but there's potential. If they did go with it, the Smash Ball would just fill it up.

New Moves:

-B Tilts and Smashes: They could have the same general effect. A tilt special wouldn't be quite as powerful compared to a smash special, but you couldn't use smash specials in the air.
-Dash B: Likewise, some sort of special dash attack that grabs an opponent, pivots the character, short-range teleport, etc.
-Special Throw: Pressing B to execute a special throw - suicide toss, more powerful, etc.
-Dodge/Roll attacks: They wouldn't be that strong, but would do a bit of damage to repel enemies.

A better Story Mode is a must. Get it to incorporate actual Nintendo worlds and enemies. The Subspace Army could return, and a rematch with Tabuu is a must, but I would rather see other villains take the spotlight.

As for a name: Super Smash Bros. Rumble or Super Smash Bros. Burst. Super Smash Bros: Battle Royale (note the colon) would be better for a Smash 64 remake for the DS or something.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
That's interesting WarxePB, though I disagree with the Jigglypuff part. I think the original 12 MUST AND SHOULD stay forever, they are SSB classics.

Pabs

Smash Cadet
Well for starters, I hope that SSB4 goes through extensive testing, more so than SSBB, because so many obvious glitches and flaws made their way to retail. Chain grabs, laser locks, infinites, boost smashing, all of these are just plain dumb and really kill the balance of the game.

Certain new additions need to be looked at as well, namely tripping and auto sweet spotting (this gimps way too easily). A c-stick that doesn't suck would have been appreciated as well. Empty hops instead of bairs are ftl.

Other than that, add some good characters into the mix (read: not Geno, Krystal or Crono), tone down Snake and Meta Knight, bring back L-cancelling, show Ganondorf some love and I'd be satisfied with SSB4.

edit: oh and it'll probably be called Super Smash Bros Clash or some other synonymous take on Melee/Brawl

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I want all six playable Pokemon to return. It'd be nice if Toon Link could return as well, if a new "Young Link" doesn't replace him.

And I'm going to go against the majority and say I want Sakurai back. Without him, there would be no Smash in the first place. -_-; Iwata trusts Sakurai with Smash. He's the one who thought of it and created it, there can be no one else who knows what Smash really is.

Ramgigon

Smash Journeyman
This is where I put whether or not I like Brawl
That's interesting WarxePB, though I disagree with the Jigglypuff part. I think the original 12 MUST AND SHOULD stay forever, they are SSB classics.
This is the truth. The original twelve must stay forever. :)

A list will do just fine. Here we are:

1. Fix the online.
Online leaderboards; a point skill system; fast, lagless connection; and control (E.G. 3-stock, 1v1).

2. Declone the cast.
Brawl did a good job of this, but left the GLARINGLY obvious Toon Link, and Ganondorf still isn't very original.

3. Fix single-player.
Yes, a step in the right direction with Brawl. But I'd like a giant leap, and right now. :ohwell:
Lots of bosses, speech, some creativity in the levels... And that's just the Adventure mode!

4. Better character design.
Two things here: First off, as WarxePB said, make characters truer to their games. I mean, the Donkey Kong moveset... I've never played DK64, but I don't think his moves came from there. So... Where?
Second, balance them! Play Snake versus Yoshi. Snake versus Ganondorf. Snake versus... Anybody.

5. Fix Stage Builder.
Stage Builder could use some work. It's very lacking in flexibility... How hard is it to rotate things 90 degrees?

6. Remove tripping,
Need I say more?

7. Give it a good roster.
Falco? Ice Climbers? Who are they?
Some characters, Isaac and Krystal to name a few, work as characters. And yet less important characters, like Toon Link, get in instead. A shame, really.

That's about all I can think of.
Oh, and call it... Super Smash Bros. Clash. :chuckle:

P.S. Spire III... Smashvillager and Tom Nook? :ohwell:

Alunios

Smash Cadet
Square Enix characters would be awesome.
A GS character would be great, too. (Or 2)
They could add Eliwood as for a new Roy.
Megaman would be cool.
A better Adventure Mode (With some more dialogs)
More Stages!
More Bosses!

PD: In a personal matter, I would like Soren as a new fighter. Wind Damage would be a new kind of damage there :D

Alunios

Smash Cadet
Oh, and a lady with a sword would be fine too! (But I only know few, and the majority is from the FE series: Eirika, Mia , Lyn, naming a few)

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
7. Give it a good roster.
Falco? Ice Climbers? Who are they?
Some characters, Isaac and Krystal to name a few, work as characters. And yet less important characters, like Toon Link, get in instead. A shame, really.
Pretty sure more people know about Falco than Isaac and he has a larger fanbase than Krystal (discluding.... certain Krystal fans).

And TLink not being deserving is bull****.

Ramgigon

Smash Journeyman
This is where I put whether or not I like Brawl
Pretty sure more people know about Falco than Isaac and he has a larger fanbase than Krystal (discluding.... certain Krystal fans).
I'm not saying that, I'm saying that Krystal and Isaac deserve to be in, because of their potential. And other characters would be better because Falco isn't very known. Fine, I'll use Deoxys as an example. Or maybe even Ridley.

And TLink not being deserving is bull****.
I don't like characters who are the same people. Link is in, why should there be a cel-shaded version of him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom