• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
She should look like how she does now, but without all the elaborate TP-esque detail; never did like this dreary look in Brawl.

To the point, I think a look somewhere in the vein of Kingdom Hearts would suit the series much better. It handles the cartoony look of Disney, and serious, real look of Final Fantasy very nicely.

Note how Mickey doesn't have all that extraneous detail Peach has, but still look really good.

Sonic Unleashed also handles this nicely.

Unleashed Sonic looks much more elegant compared to Brawl Sonic.

This is the look I think would really add to Smash overall. Another thing I'd like to point out is character animations and how they aren't at all as expressive as, say, SFIV, but that's besides the point.

And Toon Link absolutely needs his cel look for SSB4. No question.

EDIT:

Don't mean to bring back up Ridley, but do you guys think this is a proper size from him if he was added to the roster?

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9159590&postcount=1414

Pieman0920

Smash Master
To avoid the quote bubbles~

@Toise

They would likely be different from each other even if they are quite simmilar in their games, but generally they fill a interchangible roles where it doesn't make that much sense to have multiples. A Klap Trap could have very distinct differences from a Goomba, but that still doesn't mean time will be spent on it when its role is still so close.

And the enemies would pretty much have to stick to one or two stages each if each series gets around 5 or so enemies. (Well maybe you could have a very small number from each, but you'd still get people complaining that some of the more well known ones getting cut)

And you know its not a good idea to bark down the tree of aethetics over gameplay, and while there is certainly a large fan-service part of Smash, it shouldn't get in the way of game, especially if people are complaining a lot more about the gameplay than the enemies. That's why I like my idea, even if it is very unlikely, since it allows the mechanics to not be overlooked, and allows even more characters being represented.

As for people wanting the original designs though, I really think you may be over-stressing something here, because these are the enemies. If you had Mario in Samus' power armor (and only that, with no real Samus or Mario) you'd get complaints for sure, but if you got Lakitu's riding on a little mechanical cloud throwing down spiked metroids, (and no traditional Lakitus or Metroids) you wouldn't get nearly as many complaints. Grant's a real character, not a zombie or bat, and quite frankly if the next Castlevania game had no zombies or bats, but did have bat-zombies or zombie-bats, you just wouldn't see that much anger. The thing is that people get large emotional attachments to actual characters, and a Goomba Dee/Doo isn't really going to raise that much concern.

Anyways, the benefit of using made up characters, as you should know, is that they can be used to create unique obstacles. You have a specific idea for a enemy (ability-wise mind you) that you want in, but there are no real pre-existing characters to base that off of, you create a new bad guy. That's why we have more things out there than just goombas and koopas.

And none of those enemies really are a substitue for those elemental spinny things, though the Hothead certainly does in regards to the fire ones. (Also ChuChus, which I think you're refering to don't actually work like that, though MM respawned. Chus can divide and get smaller, but picking a Chu over a ChuChu is kind of backwards from what you're arguing with the other stuff, since its like picking the movie versions of Goombas over the more well known design for them)

And I guess I get what you may be trying to say with Redeads and Likelikes, but its seriously a descision in regards to what would be best for levels and what not. Obviously they could have added something like them, or just added them in proper like the Goombas or Koopas, but for some reason they didn't want anything like that.

And enemy archtype is completely related to gameplay, and most are evolved around their game's gameplay. That's really why Smash's story mode had so many original characters. (Though Smash's gameplay is so close to Kirby's it could have use a lot from there, though...well you know)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Scooby
I just remembered that this was brought up before. The thing with Kingdom hearts is that the Final Fantasy characters lean towards more of an anime style so it's easier to blend in all that stuff without everything looking weird. Smash has Snake in the roster which would upset the whole Kingdom Hearts idea.

Is it just me, but when you look at some of the characters in the game, do their colors looked kinda washed out in some areas?

But-itzah-me!

Smash Rookie
@ KumaOso...

I believe the debate you are trying to instigate here is "are you as a player either for implementing a larger degree of simplicity into the game, allowing for true fans to be happier, or take a new and revolutionary spin on things, with a large case of OCD for intricate detail?"

If this is the case, I believe I fall somewhere in between. I would like to see the original portrayals of characters in SSB4 utilized, but I don't want to see a Mario with a total of only 4 distinguishable colors (red, blue, black, and tan/white, like the original games). There needs to be a happy balance between using the original images and upgrading the graphics to present day standards.

And yes, looking at Link makes me think about how he might need to change detergents... And furthermore, what were they thinking when they made the Pokemon Trainer AIDS colored (the off-white sickly looking color)??? It makes me laugh every time...haha.

Mowrt620

Smash Journeyman
In a box filled with peas 300 feet below ground
Character Creator.
Every Character From 64,Melee and Brawl Including new ones.
When playing online with randoms not having CPU's joining the fight.
Improved Stage Creator (Also able to test with any character instead of just Mario, No Running Out Of Parts).
Uniqe Outfits, Kinda Like Warios But For Everyone, Even More Characters Like Sheik/Zelda (Link/Fierce Deity, C.Falcon/Blood Falcon)
The Ability To Download/Upload Music For Stages.
Team Final Smash's (For Instance, If Marth Got A Smash Ball And Ike Was On His Team They Could Genk On One Of The Opponents And Stuff Like That)
A LOT More Stages, All Of The Past Stages.
Unlimited Replay Time.

Nuff Said........
Defiantly no character creator. The Mii is an easier solution, if I do say so myself...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@ KumaOso...

I believe the debate you are trying to instigate here is "are you as a player either for implementing a larger degree of simplicity into the game, allowing for true fans to be happier, or take a new and revolutionary spin on things, with a large case of OCD for intricate detail?"

If this is the case, I believe I fall somewhere in between. I would like to see the original portrayals of characters in SSB4 utilized, but I don't want to see a Mario with a total of only 4 distinguishable colors (red, blue, black, and tan/white, like the original games). There needs to be a happy balance between using the original images and upgrading the graphics to present day standards.

And yes, looking at Link makes me think about how he might need to change detergents... And furthermore, what were they thinking when they made the Pokemon Trainer AIDS colored (the off-white sickly looking color)??? It makes me laugh every time...haha.
What debate? I'm saying that Brawl's look is washed out and bland and that making the characters look more like their original selves or something KH esque would do the characters better justice than what we have now. The only thing I have with simplicity is where I want the game to be easy to learn, hard to master.

The whole color costumes thing, IMO, is completely independent of the art style and the sources to some extent. As for the graphics, again, I'm referring to art style.

@Toise
I've been thinking more about that article. I understand now what you've been getting at to me this entire time. I don't agree with everything, but it does make sense. I think in some cases, more stuff is better, but it's not clear what situations that applies for.

n88

Smash Lord
I kinda like what we have now. I wouldn't mind Peach's dress being dumbed down, but I like the duller, uniform art style. I see why you wouldn't like it, but it's A-Okay with me.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's not really dumbed down, but cheap. Look at any screencap of Peach (including THOSE), and don't tell me that her animations with all those details in her dress do not look cheap.

Jinxkatrina8

Smash Cadet
Well.... Whatever happens, frickin' NERF MK and Snake >.< Buff the Puff also :p (the other low-tiers... idc... Jigglypuff is where it's at ^_^)

Since Sakurai seems to be a fan of adding ridiculously obscure characters (coughROBG&WLUCARIOcough), I'd personally love to see Lloyd, Colette, and Regal from ToS become playable, those three'd probably work out the best... But that's just my ridiculous fantasy ;)

One last thing.... What do ya'll think the name'll be? I'd love to see "Royale" for some reason... My sister wants "Deluxe" O_o

Pieman0920

Smash Master
ROB may be obscure (I wouldn't say ridiculously obscure) but Lucario certainly wasn't at the time. He was the poster boy of the 4th gen. G&W at the time also had a series of games being released, so he wasn't that bad either. Still no matter how obscure they are, they are still first party, not third. The ToS characters are owned by Namco which has better characters to work with, and in addition, there really shouldn't be three third party characters from the same game. One is fine.

Mowrt620

Smash Journeyman
ROB may be obscure (I wouldn't say ridiculously obscure) but Lucario certainly wasn't at the time. He was the poster boy of the 4th gen. G&W at the time also had a series of games being released, so he wasn't that bad either. Still no matter how obscure they are, they are still first party, not third. The ToS characters are owned by Namco which has better characters to work with, and in addition, there really shouldn't three third party characters from the same game. One is fine.
I completely agree about one rep for 3rd party. The most popular character from each 3rd party series (popular series at that) should be chosen. I want pacman, but you don't see me asking for pac-ghosts and mrs. pacman, do ya? Well, anyhow, I actually like the idea of obscure first-party characters, like the Dog from Duck Hunt. Although, random characters from first-arty (like birdo and dark samus) just overload the roster, if you know what I'm sayin'...:laugh::laugh:

mystery_dungeon

Smash Journeyman
Sidemoon Sidemoon. Welc welc ome welc omeome.
After playing Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, I've had this idea concerning the soundtrack for the next Super Smash Bros title:

After finding the last hidden CD, you would ending up unlocking the radio. Basically what it does is play a song from the games soundtrack after you selected the song of your choice. The option can be found on the stage select screen next to the back button.

Once clicked, you will be taken to a list of songs for each available series. (Starting with Mario of course) To switch to another series, you would have to click the L /R button (or if using the Wiimote or its successor, the +/- button). Once you selected a song, just select a stage afterwards... the song you chose will play instead of the songs the stage allowed you to use before.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Ehhhh, I really don't want any song to play on any stage. It just takes away from things, and the general selection of songs just don't work with most other stages. Now I know you could just say "Don't put the unfitting songs on unfitting stages" but that still takes away from the atmosphere regardless. Plus, odds are it would actually decrease the music options overall, and probably only give like 2-3 songs for each stage instead.

But-itzah-me!

Smash Rookie
Since Sakurai seems to be a fan of adding ridiculously obscure characters (coughROBG&WLUCARIOcough), I'd personally love to see Lloyd, Colette, and Regal from ToS become playable, those three'd probably work out the best... But that's just my ridiculous fantasy ;)
Sir, or madam, I think I love you. Tales of Symphonia was my favorite game. Beat it 3 times, bought the strat guide. Beat it 4 more times, as a result memorized the strat guide. Basically, I can't get enough.

If anyone from that game should join the brawl, it should be Shena. Hands down the most interesting character to create a moveset for; I mean, who else can brag about ninja-attacking with cards that have little animal pictures on them?? Who I ask you who?!

But yea, I am all for a more diversely represented pool of games as opposed to lots of characters from the same game, be it a third or first party game. Diversify people, such are the times we live!

Mowrt620

Smash Journeyman
Sir, or madam, I think I love you. Tales of Symphonia was my favorite game. Beat it 3 times, bought the strat guide. Beat it 4 more times, as a result memorized the strat guide. Basically, I can't get enough.

If anyone from that game should join the brawl, it should be Shena. Hands down the most interesting character to create a moveset for; I mean, who else can brag about ninja-attacking with cards that have little animal pictures on them?? Who I ask you who?!

But yea, I am all for a more diversely represented pool of games as opposed to lots of characters from the same game, be it a third or first party game. Diversify people, such are the times we live!
I've never played tales of Symphonia, but just to make sure...you should start with the main character in the series, unless this Shena is the main character. It seems silly to start out a series on SSB anytime with a character that isn't the main. Other characters come after...but this shena does sound pretty cool...:laugh:

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Kuma
Not for the washed out look, love the detailed look. You might like the details better if Smash wasn't one of the only D-Layer game for the Wii and the Wii's graphics were at least 720p (giving the dev teams more to work with). If you want dumbed down designs, Melee is where you want to be. DO NOT take DK's Design away from me, its near perfect.
Same with Bowser, Yoshi, Samus, etc.

THIS

BEATS THIS

ANY DAY

Cafe
Sonic's Peak Design was that of Sonic Unleashed, I agree with you completely (just wish you didn't use KH as an example...again NO SORA).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually Melee had the more-detailed-than-usual look as well. Melee's Peach has a lot more detail than standard issue Peach from that one picture supplied.
Detail doesn't mean much when it's pretty much just a painted on design. It'd be one thing if each of the layers moved independently like in real life, but that's not the case. The same applies for Donkey Kong. With those details in his fur, I better see that fur being animated.

It's a weird way of saying things, but it looks good, but it's animated poorly. You could argue that it'd take a lot of work to animate so why bother, but you have the details in so you should. Otherwise, go with the original designs and go off of that. At most, in her original dress, Peach has two layers: the skirt and the pink hip things. The Brawl design has more layers from what I can tell.

PS. I recommend to you guys to play BlazBlue. It's kinda like what you'd get if you mixed Street Fighter and Smash together with a couple of new things tossed in.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Actually Melee had the more-detailed-than-usual look as well. Melee's Peach has a lot more detail than standard issue Peach from that one picture supplied.
Looking back, I really didn't like Melee's character designs. The orange skinned Mario and Luigi, Zelda's hair looking like a block of Velveeta, Pikachu being chunky, Ganondorf looking toothless unless you looked at him at a certain angle, Ness looking like a toddler, and the fact that DK looked like a giant Muppet in game still throw me off. :laugh:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm back tracking a little, but I wanted to add something on the story.

I agree with Tosie on that Story should not be a focus, but I do disagree that there doesn't need to be no story. Games like Mario and Zelda were very successful with very little story. But, this is true in many games. Games tend to do better (and be more fun in my opinion) when they focus less on the story and make the journey to the end fun.

This leads to one of the reason story was bad for the SSE. The story broke up the action. If you play though some levels again, you'll notice they may be just too hard. The first time though, the cutscenes are there, and those acted as checkpoints for lives. Playing it a second time makes is very hard as you don't get your lives back. This is what I means by less story, more journey. Had the focus be removed from the story, the levels would be more fun to play though. They could be designed for a run though with 4 lives., not having breaks in the game.

Naturally, these break also story the action. What was smart though is being able to skip every cutscene. You may not like the story, but you can simply bypass it and get into the action. Of course, these still create a cool down time, one that may not be pleasant. That, and you have to deal with some levels being too story focused.

Of course, one area where Toise is very right in that why no story is good is because it's hard to write a story for this kind of game.

First, watch this
Star Wars: Phantom Menace Review (Part 1) Beware of language
The point carries over to the SSE. A good story needs a clear antagonist and protagonist. SSE has neither of these. The actions moves from Mario and co., to Meta-Knight and the FE guys, then Lucas, then Captain Falcon late in the game, and Samus. There was never a clear point. heck, even the side stories shuffled around. Mario and Pit chased the Halberd, then go for the princesses (despite they forgot them entirely), then they go find Marth and co. So there is no focus even for the story arch. And of course, there are to many arches. No real protagonist. The antagonist was a mystery for most of the game, and the idea on who the antagonist keeps shifting. It's a ship, then it's Bowser, then Ganondorf, then master Hand, then Tabuu. Oh, and Wario doesn't do jack and gets himself beaten up by Lucas. There is just too many characters and not one who stands out to name a lead hero or villain.

Of course, the fact there are multiple arches. This other video gives some insight.
Star Wars: Phantom Menace Review (Part 7)
Phantom Menace does not work because the focus keeps shifting and the goal is never the same. Mario is find the ship. Samus needs her suit. Diddy is trying to save DK. Pokemon Trainer is trying to get Ivysaur and Charizard. How can a plot works if it's just jumping around. It's hard to really get into the character's plights when the character is never being focused on.

The real problem with this game is it will always be like a fanfiction because your trying to clash a bunch of world together. Mario's world works because it is flawlessly built around one idea, but this game is trying to mash multiple worlds together. It feels like Kingdom Hearts because it does the same thing. The worlds are not organically built into each other, but the game attempts to bring them together, so there is a mishmash of stuff and it will feel clunky.

So, no matter what, light story is the way to go (or no story). The story should not be a major focus because the audience can not get into it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I agree with Tosie on that Story should not be a focus, but I do disagree that there doesn't need to be no story. Games like Mario and Zelda were very successful with very little story. But, this is true in many games. Games tend to do better (and be more fun in my opinion) when they focus less on the story and make the journey to the end fun.
Then explain the success of RPGs like Final Fantasy which are filled with story. In some cases, a light storyline makes sense, but not for games like Zelda (which is more or less an action adventure RPG) and Final Fantasy.
This leads to one of the reason story was bad for the SSE. The story broke up the action. If you play though some levels again, you'll notice they may be just too hard. The first time though, the cutscenes are there, and those acted as checkpoints for lives. Playing it a second time makes is very hard as you don't get your lives back. This is what I means by less story, more journey. Had the focus be removed from the story, the levels would be more fun to play though. They could be designed for a run though with 4 lives., not having breaks in the game.
I don't know what you're talking about, but none of the levels were hard. Removing the focus of the story wouldn't change the fact that it's a lousy Kirby clone.
Of course, one area where Toise is very right in that why no story is good is because it's hard to write a story for this kind of game.

First, watch this
The point carries over to the SSE. A good story needs a clear antagonist and protagonist. SSE has neither of these. The actions moves from Mario and co., to Meta-Knight and the FE guys, then Lucas, then Captain Falcon late in the game, and Samus. There was never a clear point. heck, even the side stories shuffled around. Mario and Pit chased the Halberd, then go for the princesses (despite they forgot them entirely), then they go find Marth and co. So there is no focus even for the story arch. And of course, there are to many arches. No real protagonist. The antagonist was a mystery for most of the game, and the idea on who the antagonist keeps shifting. It's a ship, then it's Bowser, then Ganondorf, then master Hand, then Tabuu. Oh, and Wario doesn't do jack and gets himself beaten up by Lucas. There is just too many characters and not one who stands out to name a lead hero or villain.
A coherent story can be written for this kind of game, but the SSE did it poorly. What should have been done is something like what some other fighting games do: You only see the perspective of the character you choose to play as, and if the story's good enough, then it gives incentive to try out the other characters.

The real problem with this game is it will always be like a fanfiction because your trying to clash a bunch of world together. Mario's world works because it is flawlessly built around one idea, but this game is trying to mash multiple worlds together. It feels like Kingdom Hearts because it does the same thing. The worlds are not organically built into each other, but the game attempts to bring them together, so there is a mishmash of stuff and it will feel clunky.
Here's the difference between Smash and Kingdom Hearts: each of the worlds are kept apart in Kingdom Hearts. Only a few worlds know about all the other worlds in Kingdom Hearts which keeps independence alive while uniting everything. Why else would Sora and co. have to put on disguises when they enter some worlds?

So, no matter what, light story is the way to go (or no story). The story should not be a major focus because the audience can not get into it.
You make it sound like the audience is too simple minded to appreciate an intricate plot.

Pikmin3000

Smash Rookie
In my opinion the main problem with SSBB was story. In SSB4 they either need to improve on the story mode, or just remove from the game entirely. Seriously, in the last game it was hard to tell what was going on becuase we had so little clues. All we know is some weird blue thing wanted to blow up a bunch of land to make some weird place grow bigger for no reason and that he sent Mario Baddies, R.O.B.s, and Weird Shade Things to do it. No to mention the fact that R.O.B. was really the only character to have a backstory. I'd prefer if they just brought back Adventure mode.

Mr. Game and Pichu

Smash Journeyman
I think that Brawl could be improved in general (scratch that, it SHOULD be ALOT better) for numerous reasons, probably ones already stated.

First off, I'll talk about SSE. The whole story was bland, generic, and worst of all, EXTREMELY short (maybe not extremely, but still pretty short). I was also upset to learn that only 5 or so bosses from other series got in as NPC bosses, like Ridley and Pokey. I thought that SSE would have at least one boss from EVERY series, but instead, Duon and Galleom came in. Those two spots could have been for something/one else. I was also dissapointed with Petey Piranha as he only attacks by swinging cages and jumping. I thought he would use an attack like those from Sunshine, like vomit goop or whatever it is. I also wished that the enemies would be from all series, not just Mario and original SSE enemies (which were fine by me, actually wanted this). I mean, a bulborb from Pikmin or an octorok from Zelda wouldn't hurt.

Another thing is that in this installment of smash, it has A TON of Kirby influence. Now, I know Sakurai also made Kirby, but he overdid it in Brawl. I mean, In Subspace, it would be cool If it had places from.. anything! But no the Halberd was the only thing outside of smash to be in it. The challenges screen was sooooo copied from Air Ride's challenge thing screens. Also, ALOT of bosses in SSE fight like certain bosses from numerous Kirby games (Ridley and Dyna Blade, Tabuu and Nightmare, etc). And alot of important items are from Kirby too (Dragoon, Curry, etc).

Now, I'm hardcore I guess, so I wasn't that upset when alot of Melee's elements were removed like the airdodge change. I was sad and stuff but didn't make a fuss about it. Now if a SSB4 came out, I would prefer to have the old airdodge back.

Wi-fi. Self Explanatory.

Sometimes I wonder if Miyamoto headed the Smash series, if it would be better/worse/same. I would give him a try for the fourth installment to see what it would be like. Sakurai can still work on it, just not head of it.

One thing that scares me is that eventually (lets say they continue the series) once they make the 5th/6th one, they're gonna run out of characters to add before they add nobodies (Iggy Koopa, just for example) and other 3rd party people (Banjo-Kazooie, just for example). It's really going to screw up smash...

And that's my two cents (well it looks more like two dollars, sorry for this wall ;))

Pieman0920

Smash Master
SSE's story was light, so I'm not sure what the real problem with this all is. Was it overly dramatic to some degree? Sure it was, but that doesn't really stop the fact that it was a fairly light thing. You could skip over it at any time, and it was all open to interpretation. The too many story lines thing that is commented on in the Star Wars video isn't even that valid in comparison, sicne that was a complaint about the ending having too many plot threads. (Which seriously wasn't the case for SSE, since everyone united in the end) And the fact that there's no solid hero or villain is something that just has to happen if there is any form of story, since mostly all the characters are main characters.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Does the Phrase "Pole Riding" mean anything you SmashChu?

Kuma
Lol, you mean a good plot like SFIV's?
I'm a Street Fighter fan, and all, but I will admit that the storyline in SFIV is nothing overly grand. For the most part, it just suffices since it just sets up the game's scenario, but you don't get much into the characters personalities, backstories, etc. The UDON comics are a better place for this. Blazblue's is more enticing, and I just handled only Boobie Lady's Litchi's so far.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
If by breaking up the action, you're referring to the FMVs, then there's honestly nothing wrong with them; cinematics were the last thing people complained about. And about second runs being very hard, I don't understand. =/

First, watch this
SSE has no clear antagonists and protagonists? And having multiple antagonists and protagonists isn't necessarily the problem, it's how you juggle them. I read a lot, and I can tell you that it can definitely be done (George R.R. Martin manages multiple POVs nicely). I admit SSE handled/structured it relatively poorly, though.

Yeah, agreeing with Kuma, the way you word that makes it seem as if you're degrading the audience.

By the way, how's Blazblue for you so far, Kuma? You have a main, yet?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
By the way, how's Blazblue for you so far, Kuma? You have a main, yet?
Well, my general tendency is to play as the girls first in games for some reason , and I've tried out Noel, Taokaka, and Boobie Lady Litchi Faye-Ling. Right now, I'm liking Taokaka the most with Noel in second. I'll try out Ragna and Shy Guy Arakune tonight later.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Mr Game and Watch's role in the SSE made the least sense. He appears, does a stupid dance/bow to Peach and then plays with an umbrella.

The Falcon and Olimar cutscenes were the highlight for me. The Smash Bros games were always meant to be silly, fun crossovers and I only felt it in the SSE there. The most boring team-up was probably Marth, Ike and Metaknight. Three swordsmen? Nice.

n88

Smash Lord
The problems with the SSE have already been pretty much covered. Although I don't consider the lack of a clear protagonist/OC antagonist to be a problem. It was most likely done to avoid having one character stand out over the others. Of course, that ended up happening anyway, but people would have been *****ing even worse if any character, say Link, was the main character. I've seen a lot of people whine about how Mario was giant in Event Match 41, under the belief that Nintendo is showing favoritism and being unfair to Sega and Konami. People don't like seeing their character shorted.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if SSE had a more clear, focused objective, and the multiple plotlines were handled better. Some people say they didn't like the random team-ups, but I kinda liked them. It makes the game much more interesting than if all the teams are mono-series. So long as they're logical, I don't mind. And, like everyone else says, I would like to see some pre-existing locations and enemies.

Also, I would like to say that if there's an SSE2, there needs to be a power struggle between Bowser and Ganondorf. I mean, come on. Why was that not in the first one? They could have had a cutscene with this big, epic war between Bowser's army and Ganondorf's army. But instead, they have Ganondorf: "Imma shoot you in the back"

Pieman0920

Smash Master
^Well that sort of is a what a power struggle is. One is trying to undermine the other in order to get more power. Otherwise it'd just be a out and out war. (Which in general wouldn't lend itself all that well to a story such as this, since unless you throw some other factor in there, it would just be two bad guys fighting each other and thus no real reason for the heroes to get involved)

n88

Smash Lord
It was stilll incredibly lame. Bowser just gets shot (And then gets his arse kicked by Dedede later). Would it be too much to ask that Bowser fights back?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Otherwise it'd just be a out and out war. (Which in general wouldn't lend itself all that well to a story such as this, since unless you throw some other factor in there, it would just be two bad guys fighting each other and thus no real reason for the heroes to get involved)
-Insert playable character here- And -Insert other playable character here- Are having a war for the -Insert rare object here- Thus forcing them both to go around from world to world getting characters from -Insert roster here- and warring with each other at certain times, thus turning into an all out hectic war when they don't know the true power of -Insert rare object used for a plot twist- Here.

Sounds 17 times better than SSE already.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
-Insert playable character here- And -Insert other playable character here- Are having a war for the -Insert rare object here- Thus forcing them both to go around from world to world getting characters from -Insert roster here- and warring with each other at certain times, thus turning into an all out hectic war when they don't know the true power of -Insert rare object used for a plot twist- Here.

Sounds 17 times better than SSE already.
He was saying Bowser and Ganondorf have the war though, and them being the protagonists and recruiting Mario or Link just seems too odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom