• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Toise

Hmm, I do like the multi-man concept for pokemon

R.O.B, assuming he sticks around and Wario Ware (without being stupidly lame)?
Gyromite was a platformer, you might want to look up a gameplay video of that.

WarioWare would be similar to the G&W style I mentioned earlier (and would probably end up similar to the Brawl stage). Better off sticking to Wario Land.

Agi

Smash Lord
If Mega Man does get in SSB4, should one of his moves involve a Met somehow? I mean, the Met has appeared in every classic Mega Man game as an enemy after all...
Replace Mega Man with Mario and Met with Goomba and tell me if that statement makes sense.
Aside from the obvious of Mario already being in Smash.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Hey look, I'm back. :V

Finals are over, though posting is still a bit limited due to the holidays. I'll get a fairly delayed and probably small responce to Toise and Koopa tomorrow. Was a passenger in a car crash, so I'm not feeling so great in the head right now. Seems we're actually not talking about characters again, and moved on to....Single Player mode? Well I'm just going to through out my general opinion that SSE was in fact a step in the right direction in comparison to Melee's Adventure mode, though there are places where it can clearly improve.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Just a quick thought here. If Smash 4 continues down adventure mode path, I might be pretty cool to have the side scroller include puzzles that test the abilites of each character. I wouldn't mind if it all dissapears, but if it has to return, it should be much more intuitive/captivating.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hey look, I'm back. :V

Finals are over, though posting is still a bit limited due to the holidays. I'll get a fairly delayed and probably small responce to Toise and Koopa tomorrow. Was a passenger in a car crash, so I'm not feeling so great in the head right now. Seems we're actually not talking about characters again, and moved on to....Single Player mode? Well I'm just going to through out my general opinion that SSE was in fact a step in the right direction in comparison to Melee's Adventure mode, though there are places where it can clearly improve.
I think it was a step in the right direction in a few areas. The cutscenes were nice, but we need to avoid a story. It doesn't make sense, and we and the developers should know better that a fighting game isn't going to give a plot that rivals the greatest RPGs of all time.

I'm still fond of that Nintendo World Tour idea with maybe different variations based on the characters picked.

Well Gyromite's platforming was rather dull If I recall. Meh, I'm more or less supporting this world tour idea. Thought Cutscense take up to much time and space and should be all together avoided, unless they are the final thing to be done, on a completed game.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I think it was a step in the right direction in a few areas. The cutscenes were nice, but we need to avoid a story. It doesn't make sense, and we and the developers should know better that a fighting game isn't going to give a plot that rivals the greatest RPGs of all time.

I'm still fond of that Nintendo World Tour idea with maybe different variations based on the characters picked.
Well its true that given the crossover nature of Smash, that any story would fall flat on its face if it tried to take itself seriously, especially since the majority of the cast are either standard main characters in their personalities, or simply don't have any real personalities to speak of anyways. Still, the silent and light-hearted nature of SSE was fine in my book, since it still fairly interesting, but didn't try to be taken too seriously.

In any case, using worlds from Nintendo games instead of Smash original ones would be acceptable as far as I'm concerened. (And it probably would be more service to fans). Still my idea for the next Smash's story mode is for some smash-original generic evil force to show up and start fusing things from each universe and thus we would get composite worlds and composite enemies, though I don't think anyone but me has ever really expressed interest in that. Its mainly there though to give lesser series, or series that really aren't based around platforming some form of representation in the story.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Call me unopened minded but SSE...My hate for that can not be described in words. :C

Ok; It can. Anyways; I didn't like Melee's or Brawl's adventure mode. Both felt like a chore. I'd rather be fighting a ton of stuff like in Classic Mode. I mean, how much sense does it make for a fighting game to turn into 80% Of platforming in one mode? Further off, the developers spent a ridiculous amount of time on Brawl's adventure mode. That, and they didn't even really try to create memorable moments in the SSE. Final Boss fight? Who needs that when you can go through the game all over again?

And then the great maze. It's great that they want to create a world for all smash characters out of the new, but this is just the pure essence of laziness, torture, stupidity, and more all in one.

Melee? Uh, that was basically classic mode with a few touch ups.

But If I had to pick one, I'd go with Toise's idea or something that opts more for...Well...Fighting. Just as long as it doesn't give me the "Force yourself to do it with all characters" Or "GO BACK AND USE TROPHY STANDS, LOL"

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Pieman: The SSE was supposed to be silly? I felt the entire thing tried too hard to be an epic (latin chanting, dramatic entrances every 5 seconds, saving the world, whatnot). Too much like Final Fantasy.

Kuma's got the right idea; big stories don't belong. Should be about as deep as Super Mario World:

That's all we need. Anything more is like a tumor.

I agree that a good theme would be "mush all the worlds together" business, assuming you mean something like "fight Team Rocket and Space Pirates in Dream Land" or whatever. The only real problem occurs when it's all original stuff like most of SSE's enemies. Nobody likes those.

@Koops: The entire game is fighting. What's the problem if some platforming is in there too? People love 2D platformers.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Koops: The entire game is fighting. What's the problem if some platforming is in there too? People love 2D platformers.
A common complaint I've heard is that the SSE played too much like a Kirby game. While people do like 2D platformers, it doesn't mean that it has it's place in a fighting game like Smash. The whole point A to point B thing really got to me while playing the SSE.

If they really wanted to try a serious storyline, they could've done something like a Tales game.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
There's no "Real" problem with it asides from if It spent too much time on it, like SSE. It's just a personal dislike since both of the Platformers have been so uninteresting. I just want it to feel like Smash 64. Smashing, Smashing, and more Smashing. Your boss idea even has me wanting to have that instead of bosses in story. I just want 100% Enjoying the combat and the feel. Not running around facing a dude who looks like tron.

Furthermore, unlike FF, the thing is that, the characters were just banked on assuming you knew there backstory and random taunts. FF (usually) Puts at least a good deal of backstory. Brawl's was just...Yeah.

Now, If pulled off right and not making me go back for *Insert all the Trophies/Stickers/Something here* Or feeling like a chore and had the multiplayer good, I'd be fine with platforming. If not then Horah for a mode I shall never use (Again)!

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@Toise

Well perhaps it did take itself a bit more seriously than I interpreted it, but quite frankly, its difficult to take things seriously when you've got characters like MK intereacting with Snake. And while I guess latin chanting and overdramatic poses/enterances aren't quite needed, the general saving of the world/worlds is kind of needed when you're trying to think of an excuse to get everyone in there. Otherwise, that little intro message from SMW increases a dozen fold with excuses for Samus, Link, Ness, Kirby, and so on.

And I don't quite mean it like that. When I meant composite, I meant enemies that were essentially chimera enemies. Like a Space Pirate Goomba, or a Waddle Doo-Morblin. Now while I know that sounds bizarre, I think it may be the best solution. The thing is we're going to get limited enemies because certain things just overlap and are not needed. If we have standard Mario enemies we don't have much of a need for standard Kirby and DKC enemies. Its quite pointless to create a new type of enemy for each world, especially if they are the same type. Thus we may get the most well known Mario and Zelda grunt enemies, and the other series would have representation by more niche enemies. ( Usually enemies are there to fill a role or create a speciffic type of obsticle, but usually the ones that are more well known are the generic grunt we see a million times.) In addition, since Smash really isn't any of its component games there are going to be certain enemy roles that can't be taken up by already existing baddies, so something original is needed at times.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree that in relation to Smash Bros., I'm not a fan of them trying to take an "epic" approach to the story. One of you posted something about minimalism, and I honestly think that's the course the devs should take for adventure mode: a minimalist story in the vein of Shadow of the Colossus, A boy and His Blob, Ico, Braid, etc.

Funny, because SoTC particularly achieved the status of 'epic' through it's minimalism. There should be a story in adventure mode, with some backstory and so forth, but keep it minimal.

And I agree with Pieman where he talks about original stuff. Alongside incorparating levels, enemies, etc. based off of respective Nintendo franchises, I do want to see some original Smash levels, enemies, and so forth. These shouldn't take priority over the Nintendo stuff, though.

A common complaint I've heard is that the SSE played too much like a Kirby game. While people do like 2D platformers, it doesn't mean that it has it's place in a fighting game like Smash. The whole point A to point B thing really got to me while playing the SSE.
And that's definitely a valid complaint, with the amount of Kirby gameplay elements in SSE. I want a variety of gameplay elements. =(

About the 'point A to point B' thing, yeah, I'm not a fan of this either. I think it should be more of a Metroidvania type of deal, focusing on free exploration of one very big world, eliminating that linearity while keeping that minimalist flavor. Recent games like Cave Story, Shadow Complex, Muramasa: Demon Blade, etc. handles this nicely (Also, think of the speed-run possibilities! =D). There could be some puzzle elements, too.

Here's a link going more in depth about Metroidvania: http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Metroidvania

Pikmin3000

Smash Rookie
We should see these guys inj the next SSB...

Super Mario
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario

Yoshi 's Island
6. Yoshi

Donkey Kong Country
7. Donkey Kong
8. Diddy Kong
9. King K. Rool

Wario Land/Ware
10. Wario

Paper Mario
11. Paper Mario

Legend Of Zelda
12. Link
13. Zelda/Sheik
14. Ganondorf
15. Toon Link
16. Tingle

Pokemon
17. Pikachu
18. Jigglypuff
19. Pokemon Trainer - Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard
20. Lucario
21. Deoxys

Kirby
22. Kirby
23. Meta-Knight
24. King Dedede

Metroid
25. Samus/Zero Suit Samus
26. Ridley

Starfox
27. Fox
28. Falco
29. Wolf
30. Krystal

Fire Emblem
31. Marth
32. Ike
33. Micaiah

Mother
34. Ness
35. Lucas

F-Zero
36. Captain Falcon
37. Samurai Goroh

Pikmin
38. Olimar & Pikmin

Kid Icarus
39. Pit

Ice Climbers
40. Ice Climbers

Punch-Out
41. Little Mac

Chibi-Robo
42. Chibi-Robo

Animal Crossing
43. Tom Nook

Balloon Fight
44. Balloon Fighter

Elite Beat Agents/Osu Tatakae Ouendan!
45. Elite Beat Agents OR Ouendan (Varies By Region, EBA are mainstream in U.S. with alternate Ouendan costume and vice versa.)

Golden Sun
46. Isaac (Was Originally Stafy)

Classic Nintendo
47. R.O.B.
48. Mr. Game & Watch

Third Party
49. Snake
50. Sonic
51. Megaman
52. Rocket Slime

Pieman0920

Smash Master
A few comments about ze roster~

Shadow Mario is not something I think you should expect. Its only been used in one game really, and there's really not that much point to it.

For Pokemon I'm sure you know that the most likley thing is a next gen Pokemon, though I can accept Deoxys on the grounds that I myself don't like place holders. Still, Deoxys' isn't that relivant right now, so who knows.

Balloon Fighter almost certainly won't get in. When Sakurai of all people can't figure out how to give you a moveset, you know you're not likely.

For the Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan guys, I think you should just include both for both regions. Otherwise you'd get a swarm of complaints.

Overall though, this is quite a fine roster in my eyes. Biggest complaint really is that there is no Golden Sun character. The only major changes I'd probably do with it is probably taking out the Slime/BF/and maybe the EBAs/Ouendan guys, and probably put in Mii, Isa, the new GS protagonist (or maybe Isaac. It really depends on what happens in the next game) and maybe Lip. (Though I guess that's my own bias for her)

BlackLightning90

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... I think animal crosser--
No, erase that. Animal Crossing Team (A boy crosser and a girl crosser together like Ice Climbers) should be in the next smash game.
Their moves:
A - Swings shovel at opponent softly.
Charged A Up - Swings shovel up.
Charged A Down - A shovel sweep.
Charged A Side - Swings shovel really hard.

Basically, all their A moves attacks with a shovel.

B - Axe Throw
B Up - Slingshot
B Down - Digs a hole and buries a pitfall.
B Side - Fishing Rod Spin

Grab: Net

Final Smash: Bus Stop (Locates a bus stop on the stage. The bus quickly and dangerously comes to the destination, knocking and damaging anyone in its direction.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
There's some problems with that.

1. The Villagers have no distinct face or gender.
2. The Villager is you.
3. Your proposal is like an Ice Climbers clone

Nook, IMO, would be a much better choice as he's the closest the series has to a main character.

SuperTechBros

Smash Rookie
I hope Saria gets in this roster... Well atleast I can dream

I also want the feature to download characters for people who dont want to use crappy characters and I wish they would make a DS version, Since I sold my Wii.... Mother of gawd

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
There's no "Real" problem with it asides from if It spent too much time on it, like SSE. It's just a personal dislike since both of the Platformers have been so uninteresting. I just want it to feel like Smash 64. Smashing, Smashing, and more Smashing. Your boss idea even has me wanting to have that instead of bosses in story. I just want 100% Enjoying the combat and the feel. Not running around facing a dude who looks like tron.
Obviously the problem isn't the concept then, it's the implementation. Especially since Smash is built on the concept of a 2D platformer anyway.

Most of Melee's Adventure mode was Classic mode with cutscenes. Most of Brawl's Adventure mode was an incredibly sterile Kirby Super Star with even longer cutscenes. Neither were particularly memorable.

What's needed is more variety in content and level design. The former is obvious. The latter of which is pretty vague, since it includes not just the arrangement of the levels themselves but how much time you spend fighting rather than jumping (of which there needs to be more of the former rather than the latter because that's what the characters are designed to do).

My only suggestion would be to have other teams help out with level design instead of leaving it all to Sakurai. Get EAD and all the old R&D1 guys in there, they'd know what to do.

@Toise

Well perhaps it did take itself a bit more seriously than I interpreted it, but quite frankly, its difficult to take things seriously when you've got characters like MK intereacting with Snake. And while I guess latin chanting and overdramatic poses/enterances aren't quite needed, the general saving of the world/worlds is kind of needed when you're trying to think of an excuse to get everyone in there. Otherwise, that little intro message from SMW increases a dozen fold with excuses for Samus, Link, Ness, Kirby, and so on.
You don't need an excuse for characters doing any of this. Does Mario Kart have a good reason for why two Bowsers and two Marios are all cool with being on the same team? No. They just race, they have fun, and that's it.

By leaving the story vague or blank, two things happen:

1. The people who don't care for story in general have nothing to worry about because they don't have to put up with anything.
2. The people who DO care about story get to make up their own interpretation, the same way a child would with action figures (that should sound familiar).

People's imaginations do a much better job filling in the blanks than any single explanation you could come up with. All we need are the characters, the settings, and the action.

I really hate linking TV Tropes but it explains this better than I feel like doing at the moment.

And I don't quite mean it like that. When I meant composite, I meant enemies that were essentially chimera enemies. Like a Space Pirate Goomba, or a Waddle Doo-Morblin. Now while I know that sounds bizarre, I think it may be the best solution. The thing is we're going to get limited enemies because certain things just overlap and are not needed. If we have standard Mario enemies we don't have much of a need for standard Kirby and DKC enemies. Its quite pointless to create a new type of enemy for each world, especially if they are the same type. Thus we may get the most well known Mario and Zelda grunt enemies, and the other series would have representation by more niche enemies. ( Usually enemies are there to fill a role or create a speciffic type of obsticle, but usually the ones that are more well known are the generic grunt we see a million times.) In addition, since Smash really isn't any of its component games there are going to be certain enemy roles that can't be taken up by already existing baddies, so something original is needed at times.
That doesn't sound much better than making up new enemies entirely (and they'd probably look really messed up from those descriptions). People care more about the enemies themselves appearing over how similar some of them might function. Even if a Klaptrap follows the same concept as a Goomba, people want both. Overlap isn't a big deal unless it's constantly happening (and it wouldn't unless whoever made the game figured modeling/animating was easier than altering behavior).

Content comes before functionality, basically. Moblins using bows doesn't mean we can't have Fire Emblem Archers, you just make them different somehow. Even Darknuts and Generals don't have to be exclusive to each other.

About the 'point A to point B' thing, yeah, I'm not a fan of this either. I think it should be more of a Metroidvania type of deal, focusing on free exploration of one very big world, eliminating that linearity while keeping that minimalist flavor. Recent games like Cave Story, Shadow Complex, Muramasa: Demon Blade, etc. handles this nicely (Also, think of the speed-run possibilities! =D). There could be some puzzle elements, too.
Out of fairness, if the Great Maze wasn't the rest of the game a second time, it probably would've sucked a whole lot less.

One of the things I would've preferred would be a shorter single playthrough with multiple paths and whatnot to make you want to keep replaying it in different ways. Think Star Fox, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, or Castlevania III.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think a Sacred Forest Meadow stage with Saria playing her ocarina in the background would be better.

n88

Smash Lord
My one thought on Adventure in SSB4: Make it so that characters don't make noise when they jump. Play through Melee's Adventure w/Ganondorf, and you'll see why ("Heh""heh""heh", and so on and so forth).

BlackLightning90

Smash Journeyman
There's some problems with that.

1. The Villagers have no distinct face or gender.
2. The Villager is you.
3. Your proposal is like an Ice Climbers clone

Nook, IMO, would be a much better choice as he's the closest the series has to a main character.
Not considering them as a clone, but a semi-clone.
Atleast maybe the B moves can differ with Ice Climbers.

Your right about Tom Nook. He is part of Animal Crossing and goes throught out the series.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
You don't need an excuse for characters doing any of this. Does Mario Kart have a good reason for why two Bowsers and two Marios are all cool with being on the same team? No. They just race, they have fun, and that's it.

By leaving the story vague or blank, two things happen:

1. The people who don't care for story in general have nothing to worry about because they don't have to put up with anything.
2. The people who DO care about story get to make up their own interpretation, the same way a child would with action figures (that should sound familiar).

People's imaginations do a much better job filling in the blanks than any single explanation you could come up with. All we need are the characters, the settings, and the action.

I really hate linking TV Tropes but it explains this better than I feel like doing at the moment.
Well most people don't quite like that there are two Marios and two Bowsers.

But I think a general "herp derp save the world" can still be quite vauge. I'm not saying that whatever generic evil force showing up has to be deeply explained, or that everyone needs an explanation for being there. I'm just saying that unless its some type of world destroying/altering evil thingy showing up, there's really not that much of an excuse for them all being there.

Really though, what I don't quite understand is how people can really be distressed by a story though when they can easily just skip it. =/

That doesn't sound much better than making up new enemies entirely (and they'd probably look really messed up from those descriptions). People care more about the enemies themselves appearing over how similar some of them might function. Even if a Klaptrap follows the same concept as a Goomba, people want both. Overlap isn't a big deal unless it's constantly happening (and it wouldn't unless whoever made the game figured modeling/animating was easier than altering behavior).

Content comes before functionality, basically. Moblins using bows doesn't mean we can't have Fire Emblem Archers, you just make them different somehow. Even Darknuts and Generals don't have to be exclusive to each other.
It is pretty much making up new enemies, and there's no denying they would look messed up, but I think new enemies are things that we're just going to have to have. What I'm suggesting there though is that they take things from multiple existing enemies.

And I know people want both, but that doesn't mean both should be made. They are just enemies in the end, and not all that much effort really needs to go into them, and its kind of silly to make several varients of a enemy that works in the same exact function. Now if Klap Traps did loads of jumping tricks or something else like that then I guess it would fly, but its still not what I think will happen.

And again, I must stress that the enemies won't have all too much effort put into them, and having 2-5 or so enemies that work pretty much the same, even with small differences, is a bit too much for a bit too little. Its easier for the programers to reuse enemies, so even if we do get enemies straight from the games, I'm fairly sure we will only get about 3 tops that work in the same exact function.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
Out of fairness, if the Great Maze wasn't the rest of the game a second time, it probably would've sucked a whole lot less.

One of the things I would've preferred would be a shorter single playthrough with multiple paths and whatnot to make you want to keep replaying it in different ways. Think Star Fox, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, or Castlevania III.
Though, in all fairness, the Great Maze was a horrible metroidvania attempt, feeling more like a straight marathon run than anything else. That's absolutely not what I want; something essential like Shadow Complex is what I'm hoping for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EyyiuAmKYI

I wouldn't really mind a short playthrough with branching paths, but I'd far prefer a proper metroidvania style adventure.

Another thing, what are your thoughts on including context sensitivity in adventure mode, like pressing 'A' near a vine to swing or communicate with NPCs or pressing 'Z' to give you hints for a puzzle you're having difficulty with. I think it'd be cool.

Pikmin3000

Smash Rookie
A few comments about ze roster~

Shadow Mario is not something I think you should expect. Its only been used in one game really, and there's really not that much point to it.

For Pokemon I'm sure you know that the most likley thing is a next gen Pokemon, though I can accept Deoxys on the grounds that I myself don't like place holders. Still, Deoxys' isn't that relivant right now, so who knows.

Balloon Fighter almost certainly won't get in. When Sakurai of all people can't figure out how to give you a moveset, you know you're not likely.

For the Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan guys, I think you should just include both for both regions. Otherwise you'd get a swarm of complaints.

Overall though, this is quite a fine roster in my eyes. Biggest complaint really is that there is no Golden Sun character. The only major changes I'd probably do with it is probably taking out the Slime/BF/and maybe the EBAs/Ouendan guys, and probably put in Mii, Isa, the new GS protagonist (or maybe Isaac. It really depends on what happens in the next game) and maybe Lip. (Though I guess that's my own bias for her)
Oops! Sorry, Isaac was supossed to be on their. I thought I had already included him but I was wrong. Just replace Starfy with him.

As for your other comments,

- #1 Sheik was only in one game.
- #2 Ever heard of a guy called Algus? He's made movesets for many potentional cantidates including Balloon Fighter.
- #3 I actually forgot to say that they are alternate costumes for different regions.
- #4 Can they really make Pokemon gen 5? C'mon they've already made a god pokemon.

and now I've gone back and edited it. So thanks for the info. :)

But-itzah-me!

Smash Rookie
(Though I guess that's my own bias for her)
I disagree. Most likely, they are going to remove the pokemon like Lucario and hopefully Jiggs (don't flame me for this, I have never been able to consider Jigglypuff as a viable character, much less take it seriously) and include another Pokemon trainer. This would allow for some kind of rivalry (like Ash and Gary?) each with their own set of three pokemon.

Furthermore, I don't believe that there should be any chance for someone like Shadow Mario to get in if more Sonic characters aren't allowed in. Although Super Mario is a huge franchise for Nintendo, and as a result represents a large part of SSB, SSB4 would have a much larger fan base if they would allow for more characters from other games.

They should be thinking more about diversifying the pool of characters rather than expanding on existing areas from which characters come from. This would create a much deeper game, and allow more room for creativity with move sets, while at the same time preventing the horrible nightmare of having 2 characters with the same movesets...a.k.a. CLONES....*shudder*...

@Super Tech Bros.
I think seeing the Sages as playable characters would be amazing. Unlikely, completely unfair, nonsensical but awesome.

@Pikmin3000
Shiek only exists as part of Zelda. If this was produced right after Sunshine it could happen if Bowser Junior was in, otherwise it won't. Also, Sheik was a cult hit character and planned for Twilight Princess.

@Balloon Fighter stuff
Balloon Fighter could be implemented if Sakurai wanted to, plus if SSB4 is anything like Brawl (Floaty, slow) BF will fit right in. It was said he wouldn't fit in melee, where the physics wouldn't agree with him.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
I disagree. Most likely, they are going to remove the pokemon like Lucario and hopefully Jiggs (don't flame me for this, I have never been able to consider Jigglypuff as a viable character, much less take it seriously) and include another Pokemon trainer. This would allow for some kind of rivalry (like Ash and Gary?) each with their own set of three pokemon.
No, no, it's definitely not as likely as you may think it is. Think about it, wouldn't another trainer defeat the purpose of the first, overthrowing what uniqueness the first has?

Furthermore, I don't believe that there should be any chance for someone like Shadow Mario to get in if more Sonic characters aren't allowed in. Although Super Mario is a huge franchise for Nintendo, and as a result represents a large part of SSB, SSB4 would have a much larger fan base if they would allow for more characters from other games.
The thing is, Sonic is only a guest character, alongside any other third party character in Smash. They shouldn't see more characters because they aren't Nintendo, and Smash Bros. centers around Nintendo characters. Sonic is enough, however, perhaps a Sega character other than those in Sonic could appear (though I doubt it).

They should be thinking more about diversifying the pool of characters rather than expanding on existing areas from which characters come from. This would create a much deeper game, and allow more room for creativity with move sets, while at the same time preventing the horrible nightmare of having 2 characters with the same movesets...a.k.a. CLONES....*shudder*...
Hopefully SSB4 will debut more franchises. Andy is a character I see really adding something no character can is Smash.

And seriously man, clones aren't that bad. =/

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Add Paula from earthbound, and make ness' and lucas' finals shamsh PK Rockin and PK Love like in their games, also being able to cancel pk thunder O_o. OOO and paula's final smash (if they put her in) would be a pk thunderstorm, lol. Also a much better stage builder and no lag on wifi would be awesome.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Oops! Sorry, Isaac was supossed to be on their. I thought I had already included him but I was wrong. Just replace Starfy with him.

As for your other comments,

- #1 Sheik was only in one game.
- #2 Ever heard of a guy called Algus? He's made movesets for many potentional cantidates including Balloon Fighter.
- #3 I actually forgot to say that they are alternate costumes for different regions.
- #4 Can they really make Pokemon gen 5? C'mon they've already made a god pokemon.

and now I've gone back and edited it. So thanks for the info. :)
1. Yes Sheik was, but when she was incorporated, she was in Zelda's last (real) role. In addition it was needed to try out a new mechanic. Unless you have a specific way for Shadow Mario to show up, its probably just going to be a repeat of that same thing. Also, Shadow Mario is pretty much a clone of Mario, while Sheik isn't a clone of anyone else.

2. Doesn't matter really. If Sakurai says its a no go, its a no go. Quite frankly, someone could probably come up with something for Diskun, but that doesn't mean its viable.

3. Well as long as you can use each costume in each region anyways, it won't be a problem.

4. Pokemon is one of Nintendo's biggest cash cows. They aren't about to end it.

Dracospawn

Smash Journeyman
I could tell you that but then I'f have to...ummmm
Why they removed mewtwo is beyond me. I mean he is original, popular and isn't outdated. I mean, they brought back pit. Is they bring dark samus in the game, they should, make her final smash hypermode instead of zero lazer. I also think they should actually allow characters to change there costumes, instead of just the colors. Even though many of you people are gonna think these suggesions are lame, this is just my opinion.

Also, bring back all the stages in the entire SSB series.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Well most people don't quite like that there are two Marios and two Bowsers.

But I think a general "herp derp save the world" can still be quite vauge. I'm not saying that whatever generic evil force showing up has to be deeply explained, or that everyone needs an explanation for being there. I'm just saying that unless its some type of world destroying/altering evil thingy showing up, there's really not that much of an excuse for them all being there.

Really though, what I don't quite understand is how people can really be distressed by a story though when they can easily just skip it. =/
Remember this?

Character, setting, action. That's it. All the cutscenes just show you where you are or what you're up against, and that's perfectly fine.

We didn't need the "why" before. We still don't and we probably never will. No need to shoehorn it in.

It is pretty much making up new enemies, and there's no denying they would look messed up, but I think new enemies are things that we're just going to have to have. What I'm suggesting there though is that they take things from multiple existing enemies.

And I know people want both, but that doesn't mean both should be made. They are just enemies in the end, and not all that much effort really needs to go into them, and its kind of silly to make several varients of a enemy that works in the same exact function. Now if Klap Traps did loads of jumping tricks or something else like that then I guess it would fly, but its still not what I think will happen.

And again, I must stress that the enemies won't have all too much effort put into them, and having 2-5 or so enemies that work pretty much the same, even with small differences, is a bit too much for a bit too little. Its easier for the programers to reuse enemies, so even if we do get enemies straight from the games, I'm fairly sure we will only get about 3 tops that work in the same exact function.
You're gonna have to explain why we're required to make up new enemies. 64 and Melee didn't have any (except for the Hands). Brawl did and nobody liked them. Can't imagine why you think people would be cool with the hybrid enemies either, people hate that sort of thing:

Take a good look at that picture because that's what your idea would become.

Now, I still have no clue why you think they wouldn't make similarly functioning enemies, since they did that in Brawl already. How many large enemies would mainly tackle you? How about those fire/ice/lightning dudes that hugged walls? Were three of those necessary? Better yet, what about ATs? How many of those were "guy jumps around trying to attack his enemies" again? Or all the clones. Remember those?

We haven't seen any evidence that suggests Sakurai has a problem with making things function similarly (or appear similar). Or better yet, why you keep assuming certain things are required or unacceptable.

Though, in all fairness, the Great Maze was a horrible metroidvania attempt, feeling more like a straight marathon run than anything else. That's absolutely not what I want; something essential like Shadow Complex is what I'm hoping for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EyyiuAmKYI

I wouldn't really mind a short playthrough with branching paths, but I'd far prefer a proper metroidvania style adventure.

Another thing, what are your thoughts on including context sensitivity in adventure mode, like pressing 'A' near a vine to swing or communicate with NPCs or pressing 'Z' to give you hints for a puzzle you're having difficulty with. I think it'd be cool.
I'd prefer the Metroidvania be in a separate mode if anything. That way you get a quick, arcade-like experience with one platformer and another more extensive one if that's not enough.

If by context sensitivity you mean more stuff like ladders and water (like the vines), then yes, definitely. Stuff you interact with through regular controls though, no context sensitive button like in Zelda. You know all the crazy crap they let you do in Sonic with just a D-pad and a jump button? That. More of that.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Remember this?

Character, setting, action. That's it. All the cutscenes just show you where you are or what you're up against, and that's perfectly fine.

We didn't need the "why" before. We still don't and we probably never will. No need to shoehorn it in.

Well I thought you said that there would a bare minimum/vague story, rather than nothing at all like back with Melee's Adventure mode, which had a story on par with Classic Mode. Heck, when you say something is a adventure mode, you normally expect at least some type of motivation there.

You're gonna have to explain why we're required to make up new enemies. 64 and Melee didn't have any (except for the Hands). Brawl did and nobody liked them. Can't imagine why you think people would be cool with the hybrid enemies either, people hate that sort of thing:

Take a good look at that picture because that's what your idea would become.

Now, I still have no clue why you think they wouldn't make similarly functioning enemies, since they did that in Brawl already. How many large enemies would mainly tackle you? How about those fire/ice/lightning dudes that hugged walls? Were three of those necessary? Better yet, what about ATs? How many of those were "guy jumps around trying to attack his enemies" again? Or all the clones. Remember those?

We haven't seen any evidence that suggests Sakurai has a problem with making things function similarly (or appear similar). Or better yet, why you keep assuming certain things are required or unacceptable.
Well first off we didn't have enemies for 64, and second off, Melee's enemies are kind of what I've been saying in that we won't really get all too much of them if we only have ones taken from the series. Why would there really be a need to make so many different types when they only show up on one level? Actually, the fact that Melee's Adventure mode sort of broke down there after its first few levels into just more and more random fighting could have been a result of this, though there could easily be other explanations going on there. Still, if I may restate a point, if you go with the classic enemies route, you're only going to get quite a few. Thus I don't think there will be a problem with a Morblin Archer and a FE archer, becuase you're probably only going to get one and not the other.

Also, that's a redesign, not a hybrid. As long as the source parts of the hybrid things stayed close to their components, I can't think that too many people would complain. Plus as I said, its a way to get more obscure villains or creatures in there that wouldn't normally even get a chance. For instance you could throw in a Bounder (Those pink flying things from the Kirby series) with the wings of the Ice Climber Albatross, and you've got a enemy that's not really as offensive as a Death Note redesign, as well as a refference to two enemies that likely wouldn't have made it in before.

And the thing with your examples of the repeating things still only happen in about 2 or 3 variations most of the time. Thus you'll get like 2 or 3 versions of the slow/easy to deal with enemies, and exclude the rest.

It seems though that I must re-establish something here that these limits I believe will be imposed are not based around any form of merit that the random enemies have, or anything to do with them being acceptable or unacceptable, but rather that its simply too much work for too little pay off. You can't really expect that developers will really bother with giving each world their own unique enemies, do you? Maybe in some type of perfect fan version of the game it would be a option, but based on what would likely happen in the real world it just seems like too much. There's also the point that I brought up before that original enemies are needed to fill in roles that already existing enemies can't fulfil as obsticles. (Those fire/ice/lightning things in SSE for instance, or those replicating balls. What enemy from another series would really take their place?)

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Well first off we didn't have enemies for 64, and second off, Melee's enemies are kind of what I've been saying in that we won't really get all too much of them if we only have ones taken from the series. Why would there really be a need to make so many different types when they only show up on one level? Actually, the fact that Melee's Adventure mode sort of broke down there after its first few levels into just more and more random fighting could have been a result of this, though there could easily be other explanations going on there. Still, if I may restate a point, if you go with the classic enemies route, you're only going to get quite a few. Thus I don't think there will be a problem with a Morblin Archer and a FE archer, becuase you're probably only going to get one and not the other.

Also, that's a redesign, not a hybrid. As long as the source parts of the hybrid things stayed close to their components, I can't think that too many people would complain. Plus as I said, its a way to get more obscure villains or creatures in there that wouldn't normally even get a chance. For instance you could throw in a Bounder (Those pink flying things from the Kirby series) with the wings of the Ice Climber Albatross, and you've got a enemy that's not really as offensive as a Death Note redesign, as well as a refference to two enemies that likely wouldn't have made it in before.

And the thing with your examples of the repeating things still only happen in about 2 or 3 variations most of the time. Thus you'll get like 2 or 3 versions of the slow/easy to deal with enemies, and exclude the rest.
No, I'm not saying we WILL get all sorts of variety in enemies. I'm saying that enemies wouldn't necessarily be excluded for being similar, especially if we're defining them by their most basic functions (tackling, shooting, etc.) or attributes (big/small, fast/slow). You'd have to have zero creativity to be unable to make them distinct.

And I really doubt most of these enemies would appear in one stage and that'd be it. None of the enemies in Brawl did that (and that's with 46 different enemies). Whether it means an endgame stage that mixes everything together or just seeing the occasional tie-in now and then doesn't matter.

The biggest thing you're ignoring is the need for more content from the source games. Melee had a little bit of this but people wanted more. Brawl tried to focus on original content and people hated it. I know you want to try to justify function over form, but that's not what people want.

As for your hybrids in comparison to poor Grant: it doesn't matter if it's a hybrid or a redesign, it's still too different from the original for people to like. No one's gonna like a Bronto Burt with Condor wings (as if people will see the wings and go "oh yeah, Ice Climber!") or a Space Pirate Kremling or whatever. Maybe another project with Warren Spector, but not here. People want the source content as it was.

Good thing spliced with good thing does not equal better thing. It's almost invariably crap. If you really wanted to squeeze in some of the lesser known stuff, you'd be better off using them in backrounds or part of the stage or something.

It seems though that I must re-establish something here that these limits I believe will be imposed are not based around any form of merit that the random enemies have, or anything to do with them being acceptable or unacceptable, but rather that its simply too much work for too little pay off. You can't really expect that developers will really bother with giving each world their own unique enemies, do you? Maybe in some type of perfect fan version of the game it would be a option, but based on what would likely happen in the real world it just seems like too much.
Melee had 8 enemies from three series. Brawl had 46 enemies, not including the three from King Dedede's side B (there were also a few cut enemies in the data files, at least Blade Knight, Bronto Burt, and Bonkers). Keep in mind they completely made up 37 of those enemies from scratch. How is that better than using existing stuff again?

There's also the point that I brought up before that original enemies are needed to fill in roles that already existing enemies can't fulfil as obsticles. (Those fire/ice/lightning things in SSE for instance, or those replicating balls. What enemy from another series would really take their place?)
Hotheads, Bubbles, Zoomers, the electric balls from DK Jr., I'm sure there's more for "wall huggers." And for "self-replicators" we have Fusion Metroids, all those Zelda slimes, any mobile plant monster from Mother, probably other stuff I'm forgetting. Zoomers and Zelda slimes in particular had no reason not to be there.

Here's a better question: what are the Subspace equivalents to ReDeads and Like Likes? What kind of tall, durable enemy slowly shambles towards you and eventually grabs/eats you?

At any rate, you're still more concerned with function over content. Who says we need wall huggers or self-replicators? Do you really think people care more about filling generic enemy archetypes over using enemies people know and love?

Aside from being isolated to Adventure mode (unless they expand on the enemies like how Melee would sometimes have Goombas in crates), it's really no better than the old "we need more females/villians/mages/whatever" argument.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
It seems like, with all the items and enemies that Brawl and Melee has, the adventure mode in SSB4 should be a beat 'em up. Everything about Brawl screams beat 'em up, even the smash ball. The Smash ball reminds me of the police car in the first Streets of Rage. Can you imagine Mario, Peach, Luigi and Yoshi all on one screen kicking butt beat'em style? Can you imagine the the final stage, all four players wailing on Giga Bowser at one time?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I asked this a while back, but it didn't go anywhere.

What do you guys have in mind for aesthetic changes in the series?

A while back, I found a skin mod thread that changed the coloring on the characters to look more like they do in their respective games instead of the homogenized Smash look. For example, instead of having this Peach:

We have Peach looking more like this:

I would prefer the original style these characters have instead of this style that's somewhere between realistic and cartoony.

Here are the pros and cons to this.
+ The characters look like they do.
+ The crossover aspect of the game is strengthened.
- The different art styles don't give that sense of unity amongst all the characters.

In particular for Peach, her dress animations would look better. Whenever I played as Peach, I couldn't help but notice how, despite all the layers on the dress, it looks like the design is painted on there.

Some characters like the retro and MOTHER characters wouldn't have much of a change, but others like Toon Link would have big changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom