• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smashboards Combo Video Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I don't understand why there are so many confused fellows..
I thought it was common knowledge that Barlw was more modern and has a bigger community.

Just zippit and vote for phanna's video or somethin'. :sonic:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
What John said.

Phanna and Rock's vids are plenty. So far, they are in the top 3 now with Rock's video leading the way, No regrets in second and Smashboards.combo in third.

Has anyone else picked up on the jokes and such in "I want teh money?"
They're funny.

bobson

Smash Lord
And the best video is a Melee-only video.

I KNOW I DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
if the votes were reset its clear why. people can't help but try to cheat with the voting system. probably the old "ima vote and clear my private data then vote again" plan. :( I was blown when tham's vid had like over 100 votes in a few hours. but then i thought about it and thought that maybe that was what it was.

?? only 14 votes for me. sadface.

and im getting tired of certain posters proclaiming brawl crap just because there are no "combos" in brawl. (a generalization and utterly false statement) I know for a fact that sonic has plenty of them, and he can go as high as a 7 hits or 8. so there. please stop spouting nonsence.

Amorasaki

Functional
Premium
BRoomer
votes were not reset I just removed votes by unregistered/logged out people. While a portion of those votes may have been by actual guests, there was the strong likelihood that someone could abuse that by voting from multiple computers/proxies.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
if the votes were reset its clear why. people can't help but try to cheat with the voting system. probably the old "ima vote and clear my private data then vote again" plan. :( I was blown when tham's vid had like over 100 votes in a few hours. but then i thought about it and thought that maybe that was what it was.

?? only 14 votes for me. sadface.

and im getting tired of certain posters proclaiming brawl crap just because there are no "combos" in brawl. (a generalization and utterly false statement) I know for a fact that sonic has plenty of them, and he can go as high as a 7 hits or 8. so there. please stop spouting nonsence.
I know, right?
that fair hits 7 or 8 times IN A ROW!

Why do melee players gotta be like that? Actually only new melee players mostly.
Sorry to disappoint, but I got Melee in '02

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
DNS: in the case of sonic, he can combo off of tilts at low percents, and every variation of the spin dash combos are, well, combos. so please stop. if you hate the game that much, fine. but no need to bash it. like the boards haven't heard enough of that already, and it certainly won't stop brawl players from playing brawl, nor will it make the world of melee more interesting to venture into. so, please, just stop already.

and i think logged out users tended to be actual smashboarders, who simply abused things about cookies and such to fabricate votes. especially that Tham one. not to say it was him, but for someone who had over 100 votes, to only have less than half of that now, you gotta think something is up. this is just to ensure there is no manipulation.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I know, right?
that fair hits 7 or 8 times IN A ROW!

Sorry to disappoint, but I got Melee in '02
The matches I watched of Mango playing Brawl were all loses from him. Therefore, he DID suck at Brawl, regardless of being at the same skill level as everyone else (cept M2K/Bomb/Azen). No johns. Thanks for giving me publicity around the boards though, appreciate it.

But that's three times in a row that you've succeeded in stupifying yourself. Please read the thread before posting because your type of ignorance has already been delt w/ here.

I still can't vote, even though L!te, KEIF, and phanna have impressive vids.:sonic:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
What matches?
Please link us for proof.

Edit: I found those matches and those were played and recorded before the game EVEN CAME OUT IN THE US.

Those are not accurate gauges of Skill, you know, considering they probably never played the game before that as compared to now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPjWLlfWi_Y&feature=related
Case in point.

That's not very good logic to use, because according to this match, Mango>DSF in Brawl when you use that logic. :/

`DNS`

Smash Lord
DNS: in the case of sonic, he can combo off of tilts at low percents, and every variation of the spin dash combos are, well, combos. so please stop. if you hate the game that much, fine. but no need to bash it. like the boards haven't heard enough of that already, and it certainly won't stop brawl players from playing brawl, nor will it make the world of melee more interesting to venture into. so, please, just stop already.
I didn't.

But that's three times in a row that you've succeeded in stupifying yourself. Please read the thread before posting because your type of ignorance has already been delt w/ here.
????

Alphicans

Smash Hero
How cute a melee player trying to troll brawl players in a combo video thread. My question to you is, why do you care so much?

need more votes. why am i so far behind? was my vid that bad? maybe i don't have enough freinds...:(
Same. I think there are a good portion of voters basing their votes on reputation of the combo video maker more than the quality of the combo video.

Lovage

Smash Hero
umm most of the videos in this competition didnt have combos they just had cool editing or dumb opponents

rockcrock's vid is probably the best

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
There is no way a Brawl "combo" vid is gonna win! Why would you guys accept Brawl vids in the first place? It's bulls#!+
see, that kind of atitude is why a brawl combo vid will never get respect in this kind of competition. and that's not something i will accept. there are a few vids i enjoyed though, there is no denying that there were sweet vids here, but to me, that line of thinking soured the competition for me and probably others. my goal was top 5 to begin with and i thought it was good enough for at least that. oh well. i've read the other comments too and it seems to go in this general direction that as long as its brawl, we won't accept it. I do appreciate the positive comments though (from multiple places) and will use it to make even better ones, I just dont want to use melee since i don't like the game that much anymore. that being said I think this is the last time I participate in this kind of event. I kind of forgot how fun it was just to make the video in the first place, or why I even started KojinSagara Productions to begin with. I'm just tired of hearing about how there are no combos in brawl and other stupid comments like that. please play the game for more than three months. :urg:

And sorry in advance to those who had nothing to do with me feeling this way these past two weeks as I type this.

edit: maybe they should have broken them into "melee" and "brawl" sections...

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
see, that kind of atitude is why a brawl combo vid will never get respect in this kind of competition. and that's not something i will accept. there are a few vids i enjoyed though, there is no denying that there were sweet vids here, but to me, that line of thinking soured the competition for me and probably others. my goal was top 5 to begin with and i thought it was good enough for at least that. oh well. i've read the other comments too and it seems to go in this general direction that as long as its brawl, we won't accept it. I do appreciate the positive comments though (from multiple places) and will use it to make even better ones, I just dont want to use melee since i don't like the game that much anymore. that being said I think this is the last time I participate in this kind of event. I kind of forgot how fun it was just to make the video in the first place, or why I even started KojinSagara Productions to begin with. I'm just tired of hearing about how there are no combos in brawl and other stupid comments like that. please play the game for more than three months. :urg:

And sorry in advance to those who had nothing to do with me feeling this way these past two weeks as I type this.

^Dis n!gga has mah respect cause he's been here longer than you scrubs and still stands up for ANY smash game.

I usually throw a big FU at their face because all they do is wine about how it's not so easy to combo. They sucked at Brawl and quit w/ only 2 months or so of its release. Mango, arguably the best Melee player, follows that exact criteria and it's scrubbish.
Requoting cause it's the truth, for the majority. I know what to vote for now.:sonic:

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255

Amen Kojin, Amen.. It's really sad to see Smashers complain about the Smash games that we have been so luckily blessed with. Don't hate on the other games just because you do not like it.. and don't be soo freaking biased either to any of them. You've played them all, and at one point.. whether you want to believe it or not.. enjoyed each game.

Kojin, your video has my vote. Good job, I think your video represents Smashboards very well and I wish you the best of luck in this competition.
All the other videos are great as well... but some are just plain "wtf" lol..

BTW, there are combo's in Brawl, just takes more SKILL to perform them due to the lack of Hit Stun and addition of more "predicting your opponents next move". ;)

EDIT: Now watch my last comment spark rage in the all the Melee obsessed players. @.@

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Kojin, your video has my vote. Good job, I think your video represents Smashboards very well
It's only Brawl. It doesn't have Melee OR 64. How is that representing Smashboards well?

Seriously, just slap together some good gameplay from all three. How hard would that be?

BTW, there are combo's in Brawl, just takes more SKILL to perform them due to the lack of Hit Stun and addition of more "predicting your opponents next move". ;)
Prediction isn't skill, it's derived from experience. In terms of technical skill, Melee wins out.

If that vid of metaknight beating up a CPU counts as a combo video and could theoretically win, while the best footage of 64's most amazing combos has no chance whatsoever...

Run another, non-official video competition and give every game a chance.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
Requoting cause it's the truth, for the majority. I know what to vote for now.:sonic:
I still think that's funny as hell.

You know what? I was waiting for brawl since it was first announced sooo long ago.. They kept pushing it back further and further and because of this I wanted it even more. When it came out, I was all hyped that the game FINALLY came out, and I played it for a quite a while.. It WAS fun at first, but since I got another copy of Melee(my brother broke my old one :(( ), I just can't play Brawl anymore. It's nowhere near as fun. It's pretty much the same thing as people using Windows XP over Vista. I'm sure you've heard "Vista sucks", and probably didn't rage about that.

Anyway, I completely unlocked the checklist and everything.. and again, it was fun for a while... IMO the Subspace Emissary was the best part of the game.. it's like an RPG- AND smash, 2 of my favorite things. Brawl's gameplay is just too slow paced and campy and all the rest of that **** I'm sure you've heard before.

EDIT: If you really think that "Sonic's combos" which I've been told consist of spin-jump-move are harder than Melee's... you're horribly wrong. Melee doesn't have obscene amounts of stun, where you get hit and have to wait 20 seconds before you can do anything. In most cases, you barely have enough time to hit them before the stun runs out.
Also, I'd pretty much mastered that ICs 0-death CG, which is like the ONLY inescapable (USEFUL) combo Brawl has
and that got banned from tournaments.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Da**** man. Subspace is no where near an RPG type of game. It's a sidescrolling combat (repetitive) platformer. You must be thinking about the stickers, but they hardly do much of anything except for "Equip Beam Sword", etc.

Basic RPG's are turn by turn gameplay w/ deep customization. Subspace only touches the surface w/ being able to do WHATEVER you want at ANYtime and weak status upgrades (stickers).

Subspace is like Muramasa, but worse, a lot worse.:sonic

Edit:*facepalm* Welcome to 2009 scrub, where ICs CG will never banned.

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
It's only Brawl. It doesn't have Melee OR 64. How is that representing Smashboards well?

Seriously, just slap together some good gameplay from all three. How hard would that be?

Prediction isn't skill, it's derived from experience. In terms of technical skill, Melee wins out.

If that vid of metaknight beating up a CPU counts as a combo video and could theoretically win, while the best footage of 64's most amazing combos has no chance whatsoever...

Run another, non-official video competition and give every game a chance.
Yes, a combo video of all three would be good, I'll agree with you on that.

I said his video represented Smashboards because whether people disagree or not, the future of Smash is inevitable. MLG no longer has melee on its belt and Brawl is next in line.. it's only a matter of time before it goes mainstream along with the other big games. Since Smashboards is owned by Major League Gaming, it's only respectable to keep up with the most current game to date. Games that are so many years old will always remain great, but no matter what, the latest game always prevails. Halo 2 was better than Halo 3, yet Halo 3 is MLG. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on "Prediction not being skill". If this is the case then doing "combos" in melee isn't skill either. It's foolish to think that reading your opponents patterns and adapting to his or her mindset in order to benefit your play style is not a "skill". Melee is a fun game, but it is not Brawl. Brawl is a fun game, but it is not melee. The games differ completely because it basically two completely different fighting engines. The two should not be compared, it is soley based on preference. I prefer brawl because I like the mindgame factor of it all while people like Melee for the hitstun and technicalities.

The easiest way to put this is... Brawl is Chess, while Melee is Checkers. If you know how to play the game with every little trick in the book in addition with a mindgame here and there, then you will play Melee. If you prefer patient thinking, mindgames, and predicting, you will play Brawl.

If you really think that "Sonic's combos" which I've been told consist of spin-jump-move are harder than Melee's... you're horribly wrong. Melee doesn't have obscene amounts of stun, where you get hit and have to wait 20 seconds before you can do anything. In most cases, you barely have enough time to hit them before the stun runs out.
Also, I'd pretty much mastered that ICs 0-death CG, which is like the ONLY inescapable (USEFUL) combo Brawl has and that got banned from tournaments.
I don't think he said that Sonics combo's are "harder" than melee's "combos". The definition of a combo is plainly put.. combination. A combination of attacks that are stringed together is a combo, they don't necisarily have to be "inescapable" either. A chain grab was named "chain grab" because it is in fact a grab and not a string of attacks. Sonic is probably one of the most technical characters in Brawl when it comes to mindgames, spin canceling, etc. In my opinion, your "combos" for melee are basically givin to you through hit stun while in Brawl you don't have that option of hit stun. There are definitely combo's in Brawl.. if you need a reference, refer to this video which highlights some major combinations of attacks initialized with the use of mindgames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQzwPp-B-Hc

I don't follow Brawl.
It was banned a year ago or whenever it was that I did >_>
Then who are you to say Melee is "harder"? : / ...again, two different games, two different playstyles. Chess / Checkers.

----

Also, I would like to point out that this competition is a fail. The votes on videos like the "metaknight" combo video are ridiculous and I'm almost positive that 99% of the people voting don't even check all the videos.. they just browse and say "oh look melee" *votes*... It's just a joke. This competition should be split up into 3 parts. Brawl Videos, Melee Videos, and 64 Videos, all with their own prizes.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
i think that's the best way to do things. i will say that they probably will do it better next time, and that maybe there is some intent or MLG to keep melee if we take this competiton's rules as an indicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom