• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
We're not talking about perfect play! Just good play! You're the one who brought up "frame tricks."

I just want to throw this out there, but maintaining a good Diddy takes a lot of tech skill and practice. If you don't play a lot and often, you're going to dull with Diddy. He's a very tech oriented character so it makes sense that a player, even of ADHD's level, would lose when he doesn't have enough time to keep that tech skill high.

Even if, in theory, M2K believes the best Diddy is better than MK, it doesn't change the fact that there isn't a Diddy who's at a level to show the matchup is in Diddy's favor.

And on a side note, doesn't the simple fact that M2K has spent 2 years only playing and learning one character prove that MK is perhaps too dominant? I would say that pretty much any other main needs to pick up and learn a 2nd character to cover bad matchups, but by maining MK, you have no bad matchups or stages so learning a 2nd character is pointless. As I recall, he didn't spend all his time only learning one character in Melee (I know, I know. Melee example). He learned a few characters in order to cover those characters bad matchups. Without MK, people would likely have to pick up a 2nd to cover bad matchups liek they used to.
He hit the nail on the head with your Diddy remarks. There are dozens of top-level MK's who still have room to improve, but the one Diddy that seems to have the legitimate skills to beat MK can't seem to beat the ones that know the matchup!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
M2k:

For the love of God, STOP CONFUSING "IN THEORY" WITH "WHAT ONLY COMPUTERS ARE CAPABLE OF DOING".

Human maximums are measurable, frame-perfect reaction time has never been considered for the "theoretical perfect mk". If you wanna talk about "in theory", you must consider it in terms of an actual viable theoretical framework, instead of purposefully confusing it with the absurd.

What you are currently doing amounts to nothing more then playing semantics in order to discredit theoretical frameworks without reference to their actual values.

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
^ Agree completely, adumbrodeus. He's purposefully confusing legitimate good play with computer perfection. Grow up, m2k, and admit that you just might be wrong.

:kirby:

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
@ adumbrodeus - I feel like you didn't even read what I said or my point in my argument

He hit the nail on the head with your Diddy remarks. There are dozens of top-level MK's who still have room to improve, but the one Diddy that seems to have the legitimate skills to beat MK can't seem to beat the ones that know the matchup!
ADHD's prime beats EVERY MK the majority. Shadow and Anti go about 50/50 with him.

Felix 3-0d Atomsk and beat Shadow in MMs at MLG Orlando and almost beat Tyrant the last time they played. So he 3-0d Diddy slaying MKs that know the matchup really well.

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
and yet you say that he got worse lately which is why he lost... and that he's just amazing and Diddy's a counter, which is why he can beat you... that makes perfect sense...

dj asakura

Smash Ace
ADHD's prime beats EVERY MK the majority. Shadow and Anti go about 50/50 with him.

Felix 3-0d Atomsk and beat Shadow in MMs at MLG Orlando and almost beat Tyrant the last time they played. So he 3-0d Diddy slaying MKs that know the matchup really well.
Ok, so ADHD in his PRIME was really good at the MU. So what about right now?

And I'm sorry, but MM's for $10-$20 aren't going to compare to a bracket match where hundreds of dollers are on the line. So he won the MM's, but lost the bracket match...hmmmm...

etecoon

Smash Hero
akaku is like, my new favorite person in this thread

he's so much better at this than me :/

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
felix lost to shadow but it was sorta close

he also beat seibrik in bracket, dont forget that :p

also Felix got wrecked by Jem last 2 tourneys in a row, just saying.

EDIT: also felix isn't "a lot worse than ADHD" many players at MLG sais he was approaching his level.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
no, Felix did beat Shadow in the set, then AFTER winning, Shadow punched his knee, and Felix felt bad so he made it an extended set where Shadow won
what the ****

Veril

Frame Savant
I'm not dodging any question, you guys are talking about perfect play for computers, not for humans. That argument should never hold any validity ever

edit - this is stupid, you guys don't listen to anything, I'm going to practice for MLG
I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're referring at least partially to what I've been posting (if you haven't, you should cause its legit). Kinda disappointing to hear this from you since I've already explained that reaction time is taken into account and "perfect play" isn't needed for "perfect planking". Rote execution of inputs with a 10 frame buffer when you have a clear breakdown of exactly how perfect planking is executed IS NOT HARD!

You do not need perfect reaction time as the planker, I'd say you hardly need to react at all really. The person countering planking DOES need superhuman reaction time at least if they are going to try to powershield and ledgesnap (unlike planking, that really is hard). I didn't say anything about perfect reaction times, "perfect" planking is just 3 buffered moves spaced right lol

As to any other frame trap with MK, I never claimed they were broken and I love frame traps anyway (<3). Only planking and IDC, because they genuinely make the game unplayable and no other characters have comparable options, leading to a rule (LGL) which is applied to everyone when it only actually is needed for MK and another rule which is difficult to enforce. Though if you actually have the replay via capture card, of a match where someone say... extends there dimensional cape, it is possible to tell when IDC or EDC occurs by checking the duration with usually a frame margin of error from 30fps recording. One of the things that could be done is checking exactly how long an air to ground or grounded dimensional cape should last and making that available to TOs. I'll add that to the projects list.

Anyway I don't know where you pulled this perfect reaction crap from. If you actually understand what's being discussed (which I really believe you do) than you're just being disingenuous, and that's wrong. I'm not even trying to pass judgment on MK, who I don't want to see banned for being really good and popular (only for making the game unplayable in a way that cannot be addressed by surgical rules). What I do want is for this community to actually be able to make an informed decision as to whether the lgl is appropriate for one character. If I find that another character also has a form of "perfect planking" (which does not appear to be the case at all), or I magically find a way to beat it by running through all the anti-plank option permutations, than YAY the issue is moot and it will be good for anti-ban (this isn't likely but I've seen strange things with testing in the past).

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
@ adumbrodeus - I feel like you didn't even read what I said or my point in my argument
I chose not to address the majority of your argument because that wasn't my beef with what you said.

My beef was your ridiculous misrepresentation of what "in theory" actually means.

datman6699

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I was not about to find it in over 800 pages worth of posts but...

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 has 56 playable characters. About 6 of them are viable for competetive play. That game has been thriving for YEARS without banning any characters. It also has infinites. Inb4 "wahhh that's a different gamee, wahhhh, QQQQQQ"

Being competitive is not about hoping to take out top tier characters easily with lower tier characters.

And as far as using frame rates to justify MK's abilities... that argument can only go so far. I agree with M2K 100% on the fact that it's theory. Tech skill is only a portion (a MUCH smaller portion in Brawl than in Melee) of competitive level play in fighting games. Your mind is your best tool. It's not like any simple person can sit in a room, play Metaknight for 12 hours, and then go win an MLG. Who is to say that BY CHANCE... the people that play Metaknight just so happen to be good at the game?

My last statement is clearly bizarre, but it's of the same caliber as some of the posts I have been reading in this thread. Faster frame rate data does not directly translate into a "better" character. It may aid in the process of determining the character's standpoint in the game, but it does not solely define a character at all. Like M2k said, if frame rates were completely manipulable, then people would be doing ridiculous things with Fox in Melee that would render the game pointless if one was to not use Fox all the time.

This is what, I think, perfectly defends M2K's argument, and I also believe this is how you guys are viewing Metaknight... which is not humanly possible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5AkW5gD-CE

I guess the main argument at hand is that Metaknight is easier to play and generally better than most characters in the game? Looks like he is top tier to me. TIERS EXIST. Contrary to what some people believe (tires don exits). I find it ridiculous that people think a character should be removed from a game because it wins a lot. I think everyone should learn how to play Metaknight then. It's what everyone in any competitive game does (at least the ones that win). They learn the good characters so that they will be able to COMPETE. Many, many, many top players in Melee now know how to play Fox, and play him well. Not coincidence. It's not like HE CAN'T BE BEAT, and the same goes for Metaknight.

Less QQ, more pew pew.

Veril

Frame Savant
@The above poster: if you actually read and understood what i was posting about you might have a point. If something is actually unbeatable, and humanly possible to execute, than reaction time doesn't mean s***. You'll do it cause it wins and isn't hard!

who's talking about planking? planking is banned with ledge grab rule. Scrooging is banned with m2k/TKD/japanese anti scrooging rule that MLG didn't put into effect yet (you must land on the stage after flying under before flying under again).
Nearly everyone talking about testing and data in relation to MK recognizes that the most legit concern over MK is perfect planking. I never mentioned scrooging because first off I hate typing that stupid word lol, and secondly I don't need to test to know that gliding under the stage over and over already should fall under the no-stalling rule + MK isn't the only character with a glide.

MK is the only character with perfect planking. The LGL is for MK and MK alone.

For the last 2 days I'd say perfect planking has been the only important topic to come up in here. It can be proven and quantified and the other stuff like balance and popularity etc is too subjective for me to touch.

As it is, this thread is still a terrible place that I have no intention of staying in. I'll be back in a few weeks when the project is under way and I can fill people in.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
MvC2 Example

Other stuff
The main issue I see with your comparison to MvC2 and Melee is this:

Both those games have mulitple characters in the highest tier.

MvC2 has that small cast of competitive characters, but they're all pretty much equally broken.

Melee has the top two tiers (maybe even 3) that are completely viable against each other.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Hey datman,

Always happy to get another person willing to put effort into posting around here. Here's a link to a post with links to other posts which were important earlier on in this thread so you can get caught up on some details.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9870164&postcount=9756

In particular, the question about MK players just happening to be better by chance is directly addressed in there somewhere. You can try the powerpoint for a quick summary.

... I'm not fast enough, apparently. Posts above and below this one are already pummeling you for not having read the background stuff. Don't take offense, people just generally assume that everyone knows what they do. Read up.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
My last statement is clearly bizarre, but it's of the same caliber as some of the posts I have been reading in this thread. Faster frame rate data does not directly translate into a "better" character. It may aid in the process of determining the character's standpoint in the game, but it does not solely define a character at all. Like M2k said, if frame rates were completely manipulable, then people would be doing ridiculous things with Fox in Melee that would render the game pointless if one was to not use Fox all the time.

This is what, I think, perfectly defends M2K's argument, and I also believe this is how you guys are viewing Metaknight... which is not humanly possible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5AkW5gD-CE

I guess the main argument at hand is that Metaknight is easier to play and generally better than most characters in the game? Looks like he is top tier to me. TIERS EXIST. Contrary to what some people believe (tires don exits). I find it ridiculous that people think a character should be removed from a game because it wins a lot. I think everyone should learn how to play Metaknight then. It's what everyone in any competitive game does (at least the ones that win). They learn the good characters so that they will be able to COMPETE. Many, many, many top players in Melee now know how to play Fox, and play him well. Not coincidence. It's not like HE CAN'T BE BEAT, and the same goes for Metaknight.

Less QQ, more pew pew.
Here I chastize M2K for misrepresenting theory... and you do precisely the same thing a few posts down...

*facepalm*

No, what is humanly possible is quantifiable, and pretending that people are acting like frame-perfect reaction time is included in that is dishonest, and muddles the terminology, making it harder to say anything with precision and be understood.

Like Veril said before, you make me hurt in the science.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I was not about to find it in over 800 pages worth of posts but...

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 has 56 playable characters. About 6 of them are viable for competetive play. That game has been thriving for YEARS without banning any characters. It also has infinites. Inb4 "wahhh that's a different gamee, wahhhh, QQQQQQ"
MvC2 is a game that runs off a team with 3 characters on each team.
hence while the are, at best, 6 or 7 viable characters.
The combination of the team may also make more characters viable.

Certainly it is a requirement to have at LEAST 2 of the top 6 or 7 characters (one of which is always Magneto), you can still use other characters in your team and remain
Being competitive is not about hoping to take out top tier characters easily with lower tier characters.
No one ever made a mention of such a thing.
And as far as using frame rates to justify MK's abilities... that argument can only go so far. I agree with M2K 100% on the fact that it's theory.
There is whatis PURELY theory. (perfect Fox, perfect Eddie in guilty Gear).
And what we know to be humanly possible.
WHat is within human capability.
Fact of the matter is, he's just trying to make it seems like MK's abilities are very hard to use.

Tech skill is only a portion (a MUCH smaller portion in Brawl than in Melee) of competitive level play in fighting games. Your mind is your best tool. It's not like any simple person can sit in a room, play Metaknight for 12 hours, and then go win an MLG. Who is to say that BY CHANCE... the people that play Metaknight just so happen to be good at the game?
Awesome, then I can take out MK using Ganondorf because my mind will do SO much.

Get my exaggeration?
MK is just better equipped than everyone else, the question is if he is too good.
Considering that so many restrictions are placed on him and instead of contemplating even a temp-ban, they want to restrict him more?
I must say it looks very, very, very odd.

My last statement is clearly bizarre, but it's of the same caliber as some of the posts I have been reading in this thread. Faster frame rate data does not directly translate into a "better" character.
Correct, you have range, mobility, etc etc.
MK is the best. Simple as that.
No one else can do what he can to the same degree.

Projectiles? Yeah he doesn't ahve it, he doesn't need it either though.

It may aid in the process of determining the character's standpoint in the game, but it does not solely define a character at all. Like M2k said, if frame rates were completely manipulable, then people would be doing ridiculous things with Fox in Melee that would render the game pointless if one was to not use Fox all the time.
Except frame perfection is NOT possible. You are clearly thinking of the extrmee.
on the other hand, one must say people areplaying quite well considering that spacies make a good portion of the top 8.

some stupid stuff
got tired of addressing some rehashed argument that has been stated 5 million times.
When I see Falco's win more often, your tl;dr DR of less QQ and moar pew pew might have merit.

Falco gets ***** by the way.
Deal with it.

By the way I am on the fence.
Frankly, both sides are just so stupid to me.

Anti-ban says. "Okay his strategies are an issue, LETS RESTRICT HIM MOAR! I'd rather keep him restricted than ban him!"

The thing is, if a character has to be restricted so very much, even if it is enforceable, it places that character under scrutiny and truth be told, they should be considered for a ban.
Under no circumstance should a character remain legal if you have to limit them in 500 different ways. (arbitrary number but you understand my point).

Otherwise,I am very sure there were ways to limit SF2T Akuma in a way to keep him legal.

Banning is always the LAST resort.
On the other hand, you should not try to continuously keep a character legal that is obviously a problem.

Personally, I hate MK.
he concept of him is stupid.
His moves are stupid.
I am sick of the fact that everyone, even supposed Sonic mains, use MK.
I am sick of the fact that everyone int he top 8 whips out MK at some point (dont give me none of the BS of you wanted to just mess with him a bit).

Its stupid, its annoying.
If this was MvC2, I could deal, cause hell that game runs differently.
TvC, I HOPE you pick Karas against my Tekkaman. The first TvC not the new version mind you.

This game?
I hate MK.
I'd rather deal with SF2T Akuma.

*coughs*

Sorry ranted a bit there.

Tl;dr: If you have to limit a character that much, if you are constantly making excuses for the character based on the player. Perhaps it isn't a far fetched idea that he may be ban worthy.

datman6699

Smash Journeyman
Hey datman,

Always happy to get another person willing to put effort into posting around here. Here's a link to a post with links to other posts which were important earlier on in this thread so you can get caught up on some details.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9870164&postcount=9756

In particular, the question about MK players just happening to be better by chance is directly addressed in there somewhere. You can try the powerpoint for a quick summary.
Thank you, Crow. I'm looking at some of those things you sent me right now.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Gnes then why is Felix, who is nowhere near the level of ADHD, able to 3-0 atomsk and beat shadow in money matches and almost beat Tyrant the last time they played in a set. ADHD is a lot better than Felix. I think ADHD just got worse honestly

Also Gnes, I Told ally this a long time ago, but you know how some characters try to just sheild grab where you land

there's a frame trick I figured out a year and a half ago to get around that

you know how Diddy (or any character) can Fair like 1 or 2 frames before landing, but the opponent can shield grab it?

You can't react to that fair, you have to be guessing it

Now, a mix up you can use is a DOUBLE DODGE. That means an air dodge into a spot dodge right away. There are 3 frames vulerable that you can be hit while doing this.

This means that using a systematic timing for shield grabbing a specific spot (grab is 6 frames, so the first 5 frames you are vulnerable) cannot cover both options, the player has to guess.

So whenever you are seeing somebody try to shield grab your landing position, just mix up a last second attack (usually fair) with a double dodge.

The only ways around this are to either 1) expect it and aerial early (and hope diddy doesn't air dodge past you and punish you as you are lagging above him in the air or
2) expect it and wait extra long (for the lag of fair, or the 2nd spot dodge to be reacted to and punished)

Try that stuff out sometime. These are frame tricks I figured out a long time ago.

ADHD in his prime
you could just tornado? ._.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Try this logic on for size:

MK is more broken on Smashville, a "neutral" stage, than Dedede is on Mario Circuit, a stage that has been banned for years.

Dedede shuts down about 1/3 of the cast on Mario Circuit with his chain grab.

MK shuts down the entire cast on Smashville with his natural toolset (Planking, Scrooging).

Additionally, Mario Circuit is one of the stages in which Scrooging and Planking are non-issues. But, Mario Circuit is banned, and MK is legal. Lol.

Also, can anyone name a single strategy or element on Rumble Falls that is as broken as MK Planking and Scrooging on Smashville?

Btw comparing Brawl to MvC2 is illogical. The only thing banned in MvC2 are gamebreaking glitches, whereas this community bans everything under the sun without hesitance, except for MK.

This community contradicts itself. If you'd attempt to ban MK from gliding under the stage, why wouldn't you also attempt to ban people from circle camping on Hyrule?

swordgard

Smash Hero
antibans are dumb

just look at the overall tourney results instead of cherry picking

lmao

that is all

I can do that too seibrik, except mine is actually more relevant.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
antibans are dumb

just look at the overall tourney results instead of cherry picking

lmao

that is all

I can do that too seibrik, except mine is actually more relevant.

>he thinks pro-ban doesn't do a lot of cherry-picking too
:psycho:

Gnes

Smash Master
there was like 4 MKs in the top 16 at MLG with top MKs like Ksizl getting 33rd and Shadow getting 27th despite every good one except Anti and Dojo being present
Didnt ksizzle quit and then magically decide to go to mlg. Hes not even on NJ PR.

Who knows what happened with shadow, shiz sorta weirded me out. Guess he got that ultimaterazer choking going on

etecoon

Smash Hero
Didnt ksizzle quit and then magically decide to go to mlg. Hes not even on NJ PR.
true, but everyone in here hasn't been willing to buy ADHD being out of practice as an excuse for anything, soooo...no johns.

this entire topic is completely ********, just ****ing ban him already or something lol

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Hey M2K, did you know that MK's Dtilt is so fast that you can start it AFTER they start a roll behind you, and you have a FRAME ADVANTAGE on them?

Judo777

Smash Master
Heres what i want to know. MK's glide is so versatile how exactly do u define gliding under the stage? is it going anywhere under the stage at all or going all the way to the other side??? where do u draw the line on that.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Hey M2K, did you know that MK's Dtilt is so fast that you can start it AFTER they start a roll behind you, and you have a FRAME ADVANTAGE on them?
See, I don't like this, he wasn't talking about rolling behind, he was talking about rolling away, it's almost the same issue I had with him.

Luigi player

Smash Master

Who knows what happened with shadow, shiz sorta weirded me out. Guess he got that ultimaterazer choking going on
Stop acting like top MKs can't be beaten.

Shadow lost to HRnut and Chudat.

If Ksizzle decided to stop playing Brawl, but then still wanted to go to MLG... doesn't mean he's suddenly worse just cuz he wanted to stop. <_<

M2K can be beaten by Ally, ADHD
Dojo has been beat by Ally, Ultimate Razer
Tyrant by Fow, TKD, DEHF, Ally
DSF was beat by DEHF, TKD?, Squall, ESAM

Others are:

Seibrik lost to Felix
Redhalberd lost to Candy, Nick Riddle
Kzissle lost to Nick Riddle, MK18

Those are mostly just examples, there are probably more (non MK-)people who have beaten them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom