• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Melee scrub?

Armada is top 5 (at the very least) in the world. o.O

Anyway, Jason I find it very hypocritical for you to sit here and say "Jiggs is broken!" and not accept even in the slightest that MK is broken. It's no contest. At least in Melee, Jiggs has other characters on her level. In Brawl? MK is god-tier, everyone else is **** tier in comparison.

Your opinion on this subject is ABSOLUTELY 100% self-interest.

If you can at the very least accept this, we can continue with debating with you Jason. Otherwise, have fun talking to yourself in this thread.

ADHD

Smash Hero
<.< banning those 2 stages isn't going to make mk less dominant.
He dominates because the top mk mains are so **** good.
No but we're giving them instant wins, lol. You're increasing his success ratio even if you aren't letting him rely on them.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
ADHD is pro-ban, guys.

I'm indifferent. I just like LOLing at the consistencies in typical Brawl rulesets.

Crow!

Smash Lord
@ADHD:
Letting MK play on his counterpick stage on game 2 or 3 is no more ridiculous (edit, on rereading this I realize it's actually a lot less ridiculous) than TOs that use stage lists which ensure Diddy Kong / Falco / ICs get to play one of THEIR counterpick stages for game 1. The only difference is that MK is much better than any other character, so when he plays on a stage he likes things unsurprisingly become more ridiculous than when most other characters play on their good stages.

(Possible exceptions being stages with walkoffs and walls, which cause character specific nonsense).

Dekar173

Justice Man
Random question, but were you the Armada that placed 17th at Genesis barlw singles?

Genesis results thread
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241080
I was more concerned that this guy might not know who armada was, and thought he was a brawl player, but after rereading the post I now understand where he's getting at.

@Crow- seriously, Diddy has 0 character specific ATs. Everything you see done with the naners, can be done with other characters as well, some are more limited or better than Diddy with items, due to item frame data as well as glidetoss/JC throw lengths, but my point is the same- Diddy's "advantages" on the neutrals is much more exaggerated by the inexperience of Diddy main's opponents than it is by Diddy actually being z0mgamazing.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I think it's possible to make this game fair against MK without banning him if TOs were willing to make a few drastic changes.

-10 minute timer
-1 Fly under stage rule
-25 ledgegrabs
-MK can only CP neutrals, or ban Brinstar and Rainbow cruise
-Make Pictochat CP

Everything else just gives him too much of an advantage. But under these rules, at least Falco/Diddy/Snake/ICs all have a legit chance agaisnt him.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I think it's possible to make this game fair against MK without banning him if TOs were willing to make a few drastic changes.

-10 minute timer
-1 Fly under stage rule
-25 ledgegrabs
-Make Pictochat CP

Everything else just gives him too much of an advantage. But under these rules, at least Falco/Diddy/Snake/ICs all have a legit chance agaisnt him.
Dats a lot of rules, bro.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)

-10 minute timer
-1 Fly under stage rule
-25 ledgegrabs
-Make Pictochat CP

I like this. But I don't think "1 Fly under stage rule" this is fair. It should be "5".
So Halz I take it you agree with my "suggestion" of decreasing the Edge Grab Limit for MK?

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
I like this. But I don't think "1 Fly under stage rule" this is fair. It should be "5".
So Halz I take it you agree with my "suggestion" of decreasing the Edge Grab Limit for MK?
That's completely unenforcable. If you're a TO, would you really want to go around to TVs with one person yelling "He flew under the stage five times!" and the other guy shouting "No, it was only 4!"

swordgard

Smash Hero
I was more concerned that this guy might not know who armada was, and thought he was a brawl player, but after rereading the post I now understand where he's getting at.

@Crow- seriously, Diddy has 0 character specific ATs. Everything you see done with the naners, can be done with other characters as well, some are more limited or better than Diddy with items, due to item frame data as well as glidetoss/JC throw lengths, but my point is the same- Diddy's "advantages" on the neutrals is much more exaggerated by the inexperience of Diddy main's opponents than it is by Diddy actually being z0mgamazing.
This, Diddy is very meh imo since while his bananas give him opportunities, he has very bad followups overall. He has the opportunities, but not the "for something" that comes after setups. On the other hand, all characters that lack setups but have very good kill moves like fox actually gain more from bananas than the other way around because it solves most of their problems.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Dats a lot of rules, bro.
But only terrorists would want to ban MK...

MK is justice.

I'm referring to the japanese rule where you can only do it once before you have to land back on the stage. On smashville this should be specified to the stage and not to platforms.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
That's completely unenforcable. If you're a TO, would you really want to go around to TVs with one person yelling "He flew under the stage five times!" and the other guy shouting "No, it was only 4!"
The first step is to have a majority agree with it, and the next is to fix it so it'll "work" during Tourneys. So lets work on one thing at a time.

@Halz: Oh, ty for explaining.

Crow!

Smash Lord
@ Redhalberd:

You forgot a few rules:

-Players may only glide at most 5 times per match
-No player may have a ratio of time spent on stage / in air of less than 1/3
-MK must let his opponent hit him before he can move on each stock

Edit:
Awww, I just realized I missed seeing when this thread gained more views than the "best vids of each character" thread. Must have happened sometime this week. I meant to celebrate that.

I think I can be referred to as a Melee scrub around here. By the way, I met ARmada in person at Genesis. This isn't directed at you specifically. I'm just saying it just to say it.

But since I'm a Melee scrub with zero knowledge of wtf happens in barlw, are you guys shure these ledge grab limits and fly under stage rules aren't too unenforceable or whatnot? If you're going through all that trouble, you should just fast forward to banning MetaKnight. Unless, I'm mistaken and this aint even trouble at all.

OverLade

Smash Hero
@ Redhalberd:

You forgot a few rules:

Alright that's fair.

Summarize it and post it in the backroom.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
@ Redhalberd:

You forgot a few rules:

Edit:
Awww, I just realized I missed seeing when this thread gained more views than the "best vids of each character" thread. Must have happened sometime this week. I meant to celebrate that.
LOL @ trolls. Oh wait...I think he's being serious. :p
That's very stupid, I mean I like it, but you'll get no one to go along with this. At least, RedHalz was decent.

Not much to say... MK needs a LGL, nobody else does.
TY. I knew I'd have some people who liked it. Because think about all of the difference there would be in MU for all characters.
I'll give an ex(since I play ROB): Falco V ROB would become much easier for ROB. :)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
@ Redhalberd:

You forgot a few rules:

LMFAO. man this site needs a rep system for posts like this.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
@ Redhalberd:

You forgot a few rules:

Edit:
Funnily enough, MK would still have mostly advantageous matchups if these rules were implented.

Crow!

Smash Lord
I engage in hyperbole to prove a point. Glad to see people are amused.

Seriously, though, you can of course devise a ruleset in which players are arbitrarily required to behave in strange ways so that Meta Knight is however good or however bad you want him to be. You could just as easily invoke a "you must SD twice at the start of each match when you play against Ganon" rule, for instance, and suddenly Ganon might be competitively viable.

The above rule makes just as much sense as telling Meta Knight players that they get their own special version of the counterpick system, or can only snap to the ledge X times during the match, or can't extend their down-B for 5 seconds to pressure your shield.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I engage in hyperbole to prove a point. Glad to see people are amused.

Seriously, though, you can of course devise a ruleset in which players are arbitrarily required to behave in strange ways so that Meta Knight is however good or however bad you want him to be. You could just as easily invoke a "you must SD twice at the start of each match when you play against Ganon" rule, for instance, and suddenly Ganon might be competitively viable.

The above rule makes just as much sense as telling Meta Knight players that they get their own special version of the counterpick system, or can only snap to the ledge X times during the match, or can't extend their down-B for 5 seconds to pressure your shield.
I agree completely, don't get me wrong. The reality is that an absurd an arbritrary compromise is preferable imo just to keep everyone in the community happy. If the smash community was like other fighting game communities then nobody would even use a character besides top 5 and nobody would complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom