• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverLade

Smash Hero
The hell does that mean? I've never even played dojo except for one mm at apex.
Dude take it easy Im just saying that people are saying "Diddy goes even with MK" or w/e, when you've only been playing ATL north MKs and M2K.

Dojo is generally regarded as amazing at the Diddy matchup, and you lost to Tyrant at Genesis. You haven't played either of them in a long time, and diddy players say M2K is bad at the matchup.

I just hate the way people will jump on sweeping statements and believe new things about a matchup just because it happens once or someone good said it....

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
ADHD does have a point about MK in doubles. However, I think the doubles metagame is vastly underdeveloped compared to singles. Most teams don't remain static, so they don't practice and come up with new strats.
What kind of strats are you referring to? MK only teams? Or just comboing into your partners set up?

The hell does that mean? I've never even played dojo except for one mm at apex.

Get better? THERE IS ACTUALLY SOLID PROOF of metaknight being overcentralized in doubles, not singles. Look at any national that has happened in the past, and scroll down to the 2v2 results.

Okay, you can use my arguement at me that I used for singles, but you guys are weak and there are actually noticable almost unbeatable characteristics he has in doubles. EVEN jason admitted metaknight was broken in 2v2 play. This is the guy screaming and pleading to not ban his character!

If you want clear evidence of metaknight being "overused" then all of you need to turn your heads at the other event always played in brawl tournaments. I don't even see your excuses for banning him in singles.

Hey, guess what? You don't need metaknight to win singles, but it's quite the opposite where I'm getting at. I will spam this sentence back at you.
Whoa chill out dont rip the guys face off. I believe the implication meant by redhalberds post was that high profile smashers that use MK have the potential to change their style from the last time you've played them. Or view/play the match up from a different mindset.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
DI just hate the way people will jump on sweeping statements and believe new things about a matchup just because it happens once or someone good said it....
That's the way how Smashboards roll.

It can never be about *gasp* player skill. That's blasphemy!

ADHD

Smash Hero
Dude take it easy Im just saying that people are saying "Diddy goes even with MK" or w/e, when you've only been playing ATL north MKs and M2K.

Dojo is generally regarded as amazing at the Diddy matchup, and you lost to Tyrant at Genesis. You haven't played either of them in a long time, and diddy players say M2K is bad at the matchup.

I just hate the way people will jump on sweeping statements and believe new things about a matchup just because it happens once or someone good said it....
That's fine. This isn't directed at you, I'm just annoyed that people are using m2k as the very and only example of diddy vs mk. I've been playing metaknights for what seems like forever, then I beat the best one and everyone suddenly notices and has tunnel vision on that victory.

@ Jack, I'm not being a hypocrite.

napZzz

Smash Hero
lol, sure that's why the only MK who beats Ally is M2K... and the only MK that beats ADHD is... nobody.
matchups can be overcome when a player is just BETTER than the other one by a good enough amount.

All the other mk's knock each other out in some sort of round robin style event at all the big tourneys then lose to one of the players who is using a character who does solid vs. mk and just outplays them to win. Ask any of the good mk mains who they lost to at a national and they will probably say "this mk and one of those top level snake/diddy/falco's" or something like that ~_~

Mk is far better than every other character besides mk, but there are also players who are much better skill wise than the mk's and this is why they will have CLOSE sets with the mk's to win.

For anyone wondering where I was going with this, its just a bit of a counter argument to all the people who keep saying "why cant mk win a national" and at any tourney where he doesn't win for that matter. He'll still always dominate the top 8 of most big tournaments, whens the last time you saw something like a top 8 full of diddy's and snakes with 1 or 2 mk's and other random top tiers. lmao

ADHD

Smash Hero
I'm actually beginning to wonder if diddy is closer to the top then I originally thought. I think metaknight, snake, and diddy are all on almost the same level now. Imo, mk is slightly better because he's the most adaptagious to the stagelist and certain situations, yet if you put either snake or diddy kong against metaknight on neutrals it's pretty darn even.

It's going to be like melee was before the influctuation of high level jiggz players, the four best characters battling it out against eachother and maybe an occasional falco or wario. Someone just needs to come along with Ice Climbers and not centralize on grabs, yet perfect them to almost complete accuracy. ICs are deadly as hell, nobody has just fulfilled their potential yet.

I think it's Mk, Snake/Diddy, ICs in order of top 4.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
****it I took forever searching tourneys and a whole page passed by. :mad:

No, MK is not as bad in doubles a singles, otherwise you'd see lots of people complaining about doubles more than tourneys. That's the tl;dr version of my post. :mad:

ADHD

Smash Hero
I can't seem to find the genesis tournament doubles results, but it was absolutely swarming with mk.

At pound 4, the top 4 teams all consisted of metaknight except for the lonely diddy kong and king DDD team.

At apex, there were alot of metaknights in 2v2 as well. Large west coast tournaments don't seem to have this as much, but alot of the metaknights that are notorious for reappearing in every national doubles event are in the midwest/EC.

You are right that the majority of people that complain about him in doubles are insignificant to the majority of people that are annoyed at him in singles. However, singles is alot more personal than doubles and in alot of cases people generally care alot more. Again, you need metaknight to win doubles, but you don't in singles.

Edit: what happened to the giant post you made kewky?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I can't seem to find the genesis tournament doubles results, but it was absolutely swarming with mk.

At pound 4, the top 4 teams all consisted of metaknight except for the lonely diddy kong and king DDD team.

At apex, there were alot of metaknights in 2v2 as well. Large west coast tournaments don't seem to have this as much, but alot of the metaknights that are notorious for reappearing in every national doubles event are in the midwest/EC.
Heh, I mean no disrespect by this (although I lol at myself for typing this in), but maybe they 'got better at the game' from Apex 'til now? How can we know that in a 6-month period of time his dominance has increased without data? Pound4 could've been an exception (or fit in with the norm, who knows), just like Pound4's singles results of 8 MKs in the top 10 are different from other results from larger-scale tourneys (look at the one Omni posted with the Ness winning #2 and a Yoshi at like #5-7)... I would've loved t see lots of large-scale doubles tourneys from Apex til Pound4, but all i found were a majority of team-names-and-players-only and small-scale doubles tourneys, then my frustrations rose and I gave up.

You are right that the majority of people that complain about him in doubles are insignificant to the majority of people that are annoyed at him in singles. However, singles is alot more personal than doubles and in alot of cases people generally care alot more. Again, you need metaknight to win doubles, but you don't in singles.
But, doesn't the problem start with complaints over how a character or strategy is 'too good'? I still haven't heard as many players complain in such a way about doubles, as they do about singles, so i'm guessing that teams with MK aren't as scary as only MK placings (but double MK teams ARE pretty nasty...).

Edit: what happened to the giant post you made kewky?
It never got to be giant, I was trying to look for lots of tourney results to post, but no one posts the characters the teams use... So I just gave up. Results with 5-6 teams aren't good fuel for arguments compared to national results, so yeah...

napZzz

Smash Hero
I'm actually beginning to wonder if diddy is closer to the top then I originally thought. I think metaknight, snake, and diddy are all on almost the same level now. Imo, mk is slightly better because he's the most adaptagious to the stagelist and certain situations, yet if you put either snake or diddy kong against metaknight on neutrals it's pretty darn even.

It's going to be like melee was before the influctuation of high level jiggz players, the four best characters battling it out against eachother and maybe an occasional falco or wario. Someone just needs to come along with Ice Climbers and not centralize on grabs, yet perfect them to almost complete accuracy. ICs are deadly as hell, nobody has just fulfilled their potential yet.

I think it's Mk, Snake/Diddy, ICs in order of top 4.
I've always thought diddy was better with snake. If not now, he will be with time anyways. Ic's/falco are around the same level (at least right now) as well, but ic's have a pool of untapped potential not many people are really trying to dig into. Good to know top level players know what they're talking about when they DO post xD

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I'm still convinced Snake is better than Diddy. Maybe when we look at just the top tiers they do the same, but Snake dominates the the mid to low tiers much harder. Doesn't REALLY matter though.

(Bias from a Tink main)

Interesting post about doubles, ADHD. I mean, I am quite against it as I go MK more than Toon Link in doubles (cuz he's so ****ing good...). At this point I'm convinced the best team possible is MK/GaW for a few reasons. MK is quite dominant in doubles. You just always need one.

The only real point against it, which is what I would build my case around, is that double MK isn't dominant. Yeah, every team needs an MK, but every team SHOULD have a different character as well. I still see your point though as it seems to hold more strength than my potential argument.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Did I read this right? Did this just say ADHD needs to get better? I don't believe me. I think my eyes are lying to me. This is the reason and proof that the words "get better" should never be used in this thread. How do you tell the 1 of the most dominating players as of right now to "get better"Just stop.

He does make a point, but I'm more worried about him in just singles lol.
Don't care.
Get better.
People are human, they will ALWAYS have something they need to improve upon, this is a simple fact.
No one is exempt from the words "get better".
As I said earlier, I am using the same logic as he did in his topic.
If that somewhat uncommon non MK team wins, its obviously possible to beat the MK team.
Get better, you can do it.
Why is it that if ADHD baws about MK in doubles, it is somehow, better than if someone else baws about MK in doubles? (he isnt the first to suggest banning MK from doubles.)

So I give the same answer said back then, get better.
Less circle jerking=good

If Smashboards didn't get so **** attached to the player, they would realize how hypocritical they sound.

So yes, get better, because if such an argument is so valid in every other aspect, why make an exemption?

Get better? THERE IS ACTUALLY SOLID PROOF of metaknight being overcentralized in doubles, not singles. Look at any national that has happened in the past, and scroll down to the 2v2 results.
Overcentralization DOES happen in singles.
The thing is, to what degree is it allowable.

Okay, you can use my arguement at me that I used for singles, but you guys are weak and there are actually noticable almost unbeatable characteristics he has in doubles. EVEN jason admitted metaknight was broken in 2v2 play. This is the guy screaming and pleading to not ban his character!
Don't care, prove it.
Name dropping is meaningless ina debate, what matters are the facts.
Oh and yes, in comparison to you, I am weak, but I wouldn't go waving it around like its a medal of honor like you are doing.

big deal you're really good at Brawl.
I sincerely congratulate you on being very skilled.
That doesn't validate your arguments.
Saying that M2K says this or that does not do anything for your argument.
I remember one time someone quoted Azen as saying "Luigi cana pproach with down B".
*insert hilarious discussion and attempts at approaching with down B*

If you want clear evidence of metaknight being "overused" then all of you need to turn your heads at the other event always played in brawl tournaments. I don't even see your excuses for banning him in singles.
You don't see them? Evidently you need glasses more than I do Wyatt.
Go to the thread that hylian opened, click on Crow's post.
Look at Overswarm's posts.

Also, do read my posts properly, I am anti-ban.
MK is overused in both areas. Double's and Single's. It is inevitable, but is his popularity reason to ban him? No.

Hey, guess what? You don't need metaknight to win singles, but it's quite the opposite where I'm getting at. I will spam this sentence back at you.
Go ahead and spam, you'll still sound like an idiot.
you don't need MK to win doubles. Unless you can prove that MK in doubles, makes it impossible to win against him in doubles, there is no reason to ban him.

Hmm that sounds very familiar. I wonder where i've heard it before.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Hmmm... What is it that makes MK not broken enough to be outright banned, but just broken enough that he needs to be removed from doubles? Because two MK's are better than one? Does that mean that MK dittos should be outlawed as well?
Nah, man. Doubles and Singles are COMPLETELY different games. What MK adds to a team is even the same subject as how MK performs in singles.

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
Nah, man. Doubles and Singles are COMPLETELY different games. What MK adds to a team is even the same subject as how MK performs in singles.
I agree. Doubles and singles are a far stretch apart from one another. But my point is this: Anti-ban shouldn't be willing to make such a compromise. To say that he's "broken" in doubles, but not in singles, it seems like hypocrisy at its finest.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Makes sense. I'm anti-ban in both, and I would think that most people would feel the same way in both. Actually, I could see how someone who is pro-ban in singles would be anti-ban in doubles. Think about it like this:
What seems to rage people about Metaknight the most? His ability to gay up the place. Scrooging, planking, air camping, tornado camping, basically he can do it all.
But in doubles, none of these things matter as much. If the MK is running away, his teammate will be getting *****. Simple as that. Though tornado is still **** good in doubles, it's hard to hit your opponents while not hitting your teammate, and a smart team should be getting around this.

IDK though. I'd have to see if any pro-ban in singles people feel this way.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
What seems to rage people about Metaknight the most? His ability to gay up the place. Scrooging, planking, air camping, tornado camping, basically he can do it all.
But in doubles, none of these things matter as much. If the MK is running away, his teammate will be getting *****. Simple as that. Though tornado is still **** good in doubles, it's hard to hit your opponents while not hitting your teammate, and a smart team should be getting around this.
*cough* *cough*

:p

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Just wanna say:

A national (pound 4, etc) is no more or less statistically signifant than any other tournament.
I disagree. Only due the fact that the results of larger tournaments are more accurate because of a larger sample size (More players, more matches, more character representation, etc.).

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
M2K goes to significantly more national tournaments than any other player and places well at all of them. Of course his numbers are going to be higher. It still doesn't make MK broken to the point where he deserves a ban.

The numbers on the charts mean nothing aside from the fact the people who use MK go to tournaments more often.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
We parsed tournaments with 100+ entrants, it doesn't matter where the entrants came from.

There aren't enough 250+ (or whatever national numbers are) tourneys (on their own) to draw any data that matter

In short: nationals aren't common enough for them to really matter on their own. They have to either be grouped into a larger statistical envelope or completely disregarded (we've obviously gone with the former option).

Tien2500

Smash Lord
M2K goes to significantly more national tournaments than any other player and places well at all of them. Of course his numbers are going to be higher. It still doesn't make MK broken to the point where he deserves a ban.
Even when you take M2k out MKs numbers still are far better than any other character.

The numbers on the charts mean nothing aside from the fact the people who use MK go to tournaments more often.
Lol delusion. Either MK players just happen to be far better players who go to many more tournaments... or MK is better. I'll take the simpler more logical explanation but you can take the absurd one if you like.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Even when you take M2k out MKs numbers still are far better than any other character.
This. We have data to prove this is the case.

Lol delusion. Either MK players just happen to be far better players who go to many more tournaments... or MK is better. I'll take the simpler more logical explanation but you can take the absurd one if you like.
ahahahahaha

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
In Crow's chart, the reason why mk "dominates" even at player level of 1 is because m2k goes to many more tournaments. It doesn't mean that he beats everyone everywhere. On the contrary, ADHD has a better tournament record with him and doesn't use mk

The reason why the rest of mk's points are so high is because good mk mains go to more national tournaments. It has nothing to do with mk being broken and doesn't warrant him a ban.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman

no one is saying mk isnt the best character? what you said doesnt show ban worthyness. It shows that a top character exists. There is nothing wrong with that. It happened and happens in other fighting games. Plus your other statement about mk players being better players then alot of other players is also sort of true. Think of it this way, if you woke up one day and found out that you were the best player in the world would u really play ganon just so you could prove somethin? Only if your isai. In melee, sure alot of other players did well, but for a while it was mainly the top 4 placing highest. Because good players will play good characters. Cause and effect. So i wont say mk players are always better. But i would say most mk players are better players then ganon and lower tiered players. Because they have noticed limitations that skill cant overcome and need access to more options and are following the metagame. But it still is not a metagame where it is play as mk or get out. So banning seems a lil premature. Diddys snakes olimars ics falcos are still doing well.

Flayl

Smash Hero
In Crow's chart, the reason why mk "dominates" even at player level of 1 is because m2k goes to many more tournaments. It doesn't mean that he beats everyone everywhere. On the contrary, ADHD has a better tournament record with him and doesn't use mk

The reason why the rest of mk's points are so high is because good mk mains go to more national tournaments. It has nothing to do with mk being broken and doesn't warrant him a ban.
Care to prove that? Crow! gave a link to the data, all you have to do is prove it.

Unless of course you're just spewing bull**** because you got nothing.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC

good mk mains go to more national tourneys...
hmmmm...

my mind has something that it wants to say about this, but I'm not quite sure what it is. I'm going to reexamine Crow's post and see what's up.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
no one is saying mk isnt the best character? what you said doesnt show ban worthyness. It shows that a top character exists. There is nothing wrong with that. It happened and happens in other fighting games. Plus your other statement about mk players being better players then alot of other players is also sort of true. Think of it this way, if you woke up one day and found out that you were the best player in the world would u really play ganon just so you could prove somethin? Only if your isai. In melee, sure alot of other players did well, but for a while it was mainly the top 4 placing highest. Because good players will play good characters. Cause and effect. So i wont say mk players are always better. But i would say most mk players are better players then ganon and lower tiered players. Because they have noticed limitations that skill cant overcome and need access to more options and are following the metagame. But it still is not a metagame where it is play as mk or get out. So banning seems a lil premature. Diddys snakes olimars ics falcos are still doing well.
If there was nothing wrong w/ having "such" a top character people would never want MK banned in the first place.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Do you have data to prove this? And even if you are right about that why does MK dominate at EVERY level of play?

Unless you have data to back this up its very unlikely.

Lets say we have a town called MKville. MKville is by a nuclear reactor. The average size of male genitals in MKville is 16 inches. The next "largest town" Snakeville has an average genital measurement of 8 inches.

Now from this data would you conclude

A) The nuclear reactor is leads to an increase in genital size.

or

B) All the people in MKville just happen to have large members for no particular reason.

In other words why should we expect MK players to be better players and/or to go to more tournaments across the board at every level of play? Its far more likely that MK is the cause of success.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
In the above case, I'd rather live in Snakeville.

Edit: maybe MK players go to more tourneys and are better because they have MK? Just thinking aloud...
I'm still trying to see for myself if what Tommy said is making sense, and as it stands.... I still don't know. It would definitely help if Tommy had proof rather than just a random explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom