• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
It seems the list has changed. It looks alot better imo.

Jigglypuff is finally where he/she belongs, and Fox>Marth is also something that makes sense.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
no, the fact that she has random hard mid-low tier matchups is actually one of the stronger talking points for why Jiggs is not top tier. Ganon, Doc, Pikachu, Y. Link, Link, Luigi, and Pichu are all at least debatably close to even or disadvantageous matchups for her. Now, I'm not exactly sure on the reality of these matchups since I haven't seen a whole lot of them, but at least in theory, Jiggs shouldn't molest any of those characters half as hard as the rest of the top tier does.
Why is this a strong point for having Jiggs not in top tier?

Those matchups all occur very infrequently compared to the more common top/high tier matchups, especially at higher levels of competition. Even if Y.link does do well vs jiggs (I have no idea if that's true), that shouldn't have much weight in deciding if Jiggs is top tier.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to

Those matchups all occur very infrequently compared to the more common top/high tier matchups, especially at higher levels of competition. Even if Y.link does do well vs jiggs (I have no idea if that's true), that shouldn't have much weight in deciding if Jiggs is top tier.
well, I actually agree with you for the most part. In the grand scheme of things, a character's matchups vs. non-top 8 characters are largely irrelevant.

But when it comes to what the anti-Jiggs-in-the-top-tier people are giving for reasons... well, I think that at least that point is true, even if it's relevance is up for debate.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

They're relevant but NOT as relevant as the top tier match-ups. The lower you get, the less important they become.

Still, they DO occur, and it does effect a character's placings (why's Zelda so low after all?).

Also, for counter-picks, a lot of people have mid/low tier favorites that they can counter-pick with, I see Ganon, doc and luigi especially as pretty common for people who main much better characters.

TL;DR: they matter, just not as much as better characters.

Winston

Smash Master
TL;DR: they matter, just not as much as better characters.
They matter little enough that they probably shouldn't influence the distinction between top and high tier.

If in fact Jiggs has evenish to favorable matchups with all the high and top tiers (I'm not claiming she does, but I think you can make the case for that) then she should be top tier. If she has a few evenish ones and a few bad ones (like falcon and peach) then she should be high.

If either of these are the case, then having a few tough matchups among the lower tiers shouldn't change anything.

and what is that bit about zelda's placement supposed to mean? zelda's just a very limited character.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
yeah mogwai does have a really good point but jigglypuff should still be higher falcon isn't auto win vs the low tiers also. But keep in mind there have been a lot of anto top tier ideas pop up like chain throws to death and ways to dea; with lasers and tech chase. For sheik and marth people have thought of ways to make it much easy to edge gaurd them. Ice climbers not as high but anto nana tactics and better di have tore them down making them easier to deal which. But when you look down the list there are less and less ways to deal with _____ other than waveshine or chain throw.

Jigglypuff hasn't really gone a really great plan to deal with other than camp and up-smash. Ans she has been getting better at avoiding campers by ducking and powersheilding.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
They matter little enough that they probably shouldn't influence the distinction between top and high tier.
Depends on how smash the distinction is without, and which characters we're talking about.

If in fact Jiggs has evenish to favorable matchups with all the high and top tiers (I'm not claiming she does, but I think you can make the case for that) then she should be top tier. If she has a few evenish ones and a few bad ones (like falcon and peach) then she should be high.
Nobody except fox has evenish to favorable match-ups with all the top tiers, everbody else loses to at least somebody in high/top.

Again, number matters and amount matters.

If either of these are the case, then having a few tough matchups among the lower tiers shouldn't change anything.
Again, it depends on who and by how much. Ganondorf is probably the most relevant, but if it's bad enough, people might train pocket pichus just for that match-up.

and what is that bit about zelda's placement supposed to mean? zelda's just a very limited character.
In old country... er sorry, back in the day relative to the people around her, Zelda had good high/top tier match-ups, however she didn't really solidly beat pretty much any low tiers except Bowser, from ICs on she was pretty much solidly 4-6. So why 7th from bottom? Because her low tier match-ups held her back.

D

Deleted member

tiers consider every character within a tier to be relatively equal to the others. in that sense, fox = falco = marth = sheik. the numbers just show you how they were voted on average, not necessarily which is better. the fact that we can still debate which is better than the other in a game that's 8 years old just further reinforces how even they really are.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i don't think anyone's debating that fox and falco are better than marth and sheik, having
them all in the same tier where they're supposed to be equal is dumb

Ryan-K

Smash Master
hes saying if fox and falco are better than marth and sheik which pretty much everyone agrees on then they shouldnt be in the same tier (as in fox falco in one tier marth sheik in another)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
i don't think anyone's debating that fox and falco are better than marth and sheik, having
them all in the same tier where they're supposed to be equal is dumb
So do you suggest that there should be a tier higher than top to put them in? or somehow re distribute the cast to fit in the same 5 categories?

and would this leave marth and sheik in their own tier as well?

Winston

Smash Master
Nobody except fox has evenish to favorable match-ups with all the top tiers, everbody else loses to at least somebody in high/top.
Note I said evenish.

At least Fox, Falco, and Sheik fit that description. Possibly Marth, also.

Again, it depends on who and by how much. Ganondorf is probably the most relevant, but if it's bad enough, people might train pocket pichus just for that match-up.
Of course it depends on how bad the matchups are and how popular the characters are. What I have been saying is that in the case of Jiggs, the difficulty of those matchups times the popularity of those characters is low enough so that it shouldn't matter. You can't really claim that Y. Link is really part of the high level metagame. And Jiggs holds her own vs Pikachu, Doc, and Ganon.

In old country... er sorry, back in the day relative to the people around her, Zelda had good high/top tier match-ups, however she didn't really solidly beat pretty much any low tiers except Bowser, from ICs on she was pretty much solidly 4-6. So why 7th from bottom? Because her low tier match-ups held her back.
I don't get the point you're making here. She's 7th from the bottom because... it's not back in the day anymore and she gets ***** by many of the top/high tiers, most notably fox.

Niko45

Smash Master
As far as Puff not being top tier - there is pretty much no argument for this.

Over the past 1-2 years Jigglypuff has placed monstrously in tournament, and not just one or two puffs, a lot of puffs (Genesis had 4 in top 13??).

The fact is that the tier list is constantly changing as the metagame shifts. Nay sayers seem to be concerned that in 6 months people will have figured out how to beat Puff (like they haven't already had 8 years, the most recent 2 years of which puff has been widely known to be a serious threat).

If that happens in 6 months, which I doubt it will, then the list can change. But there is literally no argument for Puff not being top tier AS OF RIGHT NOW. And quite frankly, based on the past 2 years, Marth and Sheik are not top tier. CFalcon should move up, as well, though CFs placing extremely well is more recent than puff and CF has yet to win a major tourney (I think, unless I missed something).

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Note I said evenish.

At least Fox, Falco, and Sheik fit that description. Possibly Marth, also.
Soft counters aren't evenish.

Of course it depends on how bad the matchups are and how popular the characters are. What I have been saying is that in the case of Jiggs, the difficulty of those matchups times the popularity of those characters is low enough so that it shouldn't matter. You can't really claim that Y. Link is really part of the high level metagame. And Jiggs holds her own vs Pikachu, Doc, and Ganon.
Then we're in agreement, pretty much anyway, if young link is bad enough to cause people to pick up pocket young links, then I agree.

I don't get the point you're making here. She's 7th from the bottom because... it's not back in the day anymore and she gets ***** by many of the top/high tiers, most notably fox.
She always lost to fox, it's just everybody around her did and does too, she did well against marth as well as ICs and below, the thing is she got beat or just barely won against too many people at her position and below.

Not saying that it establishes things above high tier match-ups, just that it should be considered.

As far as Puff not being top tier - there is pretty much no argument for this.

Over the past 1-2 years Jigglypuff has placed monstrously in tournament, and not just one or two puffs, a lot of puffs (Genesis had 4 in top 13??).

The fact is that the tier list is constantly changing as the metagame shifts. Nay sayers seem to be concerned that in 6 months people will have figured out how to beat Puff (like they haven't already had 8 years, the most recent 2 years of which puff has been widely known to be a serious threat).

If that happens in 6 months, which I doubt it will, then the list can change. But there is literally no argument for Puff not being top tier AS OF RIGHT NOW. And quite frankly, based on the past 2 years, Marth and Sheik are not top tier. CFalcon should move up, as well, though CFs placing extremely well is more recent than puff and CF has yet to win a major tourney (I think, unless I missed something).
I agree that jiggs is top tier, her match-ups have been way underrated.

That said, part of it is too many people are unwilling to play against her PROPERLY, aka camp.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
actually i disagree. people are losing to puff because they camp her. she actually has decent matchups to characters that camp her. you'd be better getting in her face and ****ing her up and taking a stock that way.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
actually i disagree. people are losing to puff because they camp her. she actually has decent matchups to characters that camp her. you'd be better getting in her face and ****ing her up and taking a stock that way.
Sounds sexy!
I'll do it!
Expect Youtube Vids!

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
so then how are you supposed to fight jigglypuff then? Running away to laser you are slowly going to run out of room. You get hit against a -good- puff and that's either 1) another hit 2) an edge guard 3) a gimp 4) a tech chase

btw marth and sheik are DEFINITELY top tier. Peach is the only one I'm iffy on, she is as borderline as it gets. I think the other 5 characters are a level above her, and I think Jiggs/Spacies are the best, but Sheik/Marth are extremely close behind, with peach very close behind after. I think Falcon is immediately after Peach, then Ice Climbers, then Ganon/Doc, and that's the top 10

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
so someone please explain Fox vs Jiggs to me then. If Fox Nairs jiggs fair beats it LIKE EVERY SINGLE TIME (when Hbox does it). Fox's bair is risky cuz Jiggs bair has more range and pound can trade with it then if you don't tech (which can easily happen since you're already pressing L or R to l-cancel making you automatically miss the tech) you get jab->rested and you die

I would really appreciate if we could all go over Fox vs Jiggs IN DETAIL before Winterfest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roJaxU9AWb4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPX_zM3TLes

etc etc. I have a ton of matches, I have a bunch of sets from TO5 and Herb2 (although I think one of the sets from herb2 weren't uploaded not sure). Anyway I would greatly appreciate if before winterfest, you guys could study these videos and tell me as much as possible everything that I'm doing wrong or habits I should get rid of or habits of his I should exploit.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
You don't runaway. You camp the middle of the stage, bait her attacks and punish accordingly.

im lolling at myself so much right now for arguing with m2k. lollllll
That seems like a bad idea, I just say **** her face off so the police can't recognize her.
She's light also, so expect them to CC alot and play faster than they can react....
I don't see this working well against Mango though, he's too good.

Can't marth just use Fair and Dtilt?

Niko45

Smash Master
That said, part of it is too many people are unwilling to play against her PROPERLY, aka camp.
These types of statements just baffle me. I guess in bigtime tournaments, with hundreds if not thousands of dollars on the line, people are still just too darn stubborn and won't play her properly.

Nothing, let alone fighting puff, is as simple as "camp and win". There's just no johns about it when puff is placing very high and most notably winning tournaments. This isn't 2007, nobody is sleeping on jiggs anymore, she's just good.

Also, if you do not have a % lead you can't just camp or not approach.

otg

Smash Master
m2k just go Doc and then you'll win.

Also, if you do not have a % lead you can't just camp or not approach.
Very true, but I mean, as long as there is a timer there is no reason to just rush in blindly because you are down a few % with 6 minutes to go. You just have to make sure that you have a stock lead/% lead by the end of the time limit, and you're fine, no reason to rush in immediately.

Niko45

Smash Master
M2K - Ur the only one doing well with Marth or Sheik. They are consistently slaughtered in tournament placing by spacies/puff and even freakin CFalcon. I just don't want to hear the theory etc etc because when applied to reality these are the results for the current metagame.

Max - But like, puff gets a % lead, now puff camps the ledge. You will now at some point need to go near said ledge, where she has little to lose and you have a ton to lose (but you have to make a move).

otg

Smash Master
Max - But like, puff gets a % lead, now puff camps the ledge. You will now at some point need to go near said ledge, where she has little to lose and you have a ton to lose (but you have to make a move).
Yeah I def agree, it sucks for almost every character except for like the Marios/Pika/Pichu who can throw out a projectile that stops her from Ledge camping. Everyone else has to take that risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom