• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Also, I think the majority of costs for maintaining a site go to the programmers who have to constantly maintain it. But, if smashboards were bought from mlg, i'm sure the community would provide any necessary free-labor.
Theres very little maintenance that needs to be done. To my knowledge, there isn't even a programmer than touches the code on any regular basis.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Yea i don't see the site actually needing maintenance except when:
A) smash 4 comes out
Or
B) the site gets hacked or buggy (it has happened in the past)

But if nothing changes, we get no bugs ^^

Varist

Smash Lord
i am the best smash player but i am of high school

smash is an easy game if you know where the falco is

i also am near mexican which is really good because of the best players that are in the world

so i get very practice

D

Deleted member

nah mewtwo still sucks.

tero was actually in the MBR before. shoe-in for post quality IMO

The Star King

Smash Hero
Speaking of age trends, has anybody noticed all the top top players started when they were like 12 or something?

D

Deleted member

This MBR business is confusing. Just gimme a tier list so I know where Yoshi is so I know the appropriate level of jhons to use.
yes, brilliant, let's use a tier list. i love being ignorant enough to define my character by its tier list placement, it lets me have strong and inflexible views about the game without actually knowing anything. researching and testing things is taboo and discouraged in this community, which is great because i get to be decisively stupid while avoiding any personal intellectual investment and it drags everyone else down to my level.

i happen to know that cactuar and i share a mutual appreciation of mediocre posters that spread misinformation that they view as true specifically because they're bad.

you're not shiri, you would have called my cell phone by now laughing at my bitterness.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
In their defense...well, never mind, you should be testing everything in VS/Training/with training partners.

Or just ask a lot of specific, annoying questions like me. :awesome:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I know the MBR business stuff kind of passed but I just wanna say

MBR sucks

Kage as a leader?

Can't add new members?

Tier list project stopped again?

Seriously what the hell do we do

edit: Actually we did make a new recommended ruleset that's been pretty good and relatively jank free (which some people have disliked but w/e) so I guess that's okay

Divinokage

Smash Legend
The student becomes the master.. why can't I be a leader? A warrior knows limitless potential! Did you forget about that?

Also I'm the one that handles Canadian candidates so essentially i'm the one that invited you! I COULD just as well sparta kick you away from the MBR, hehe. ;)

D

Deleted member

to be frank, the irony of the situation is quite apparent to the rest of us. the best/worst part is that i specifically asked unknown to take it over upon resignation and he got sidestepped somehow. i wouldn't know how he got sidestepped either, because i, prior leader of the MBR, was denied access to the MBR when the re-admissions happened by teczero, who was made regional leader of my region despite having never been in it before. obviously i'm not salty about it at all.

happy birthday you colette loving mother ****er. i'll boot up symphonia and spam holy judgment a few times just for you.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
yes, brilliant, let's use a tier list. i love being ignorant enough to define my character by its tier list placement, it lets me have strong and inflexible views about the game without actually knowing anything. researching and testing things is taboo and discouraged in this community, which is great because i get to be decisively stupid while avoiding any personal intellectual investment and it drags everyone else down to my level.

i happen to know that cactuar and i share a mutual appreciation of mediocre posters that spread misinformation that they view as true specifically because they're bad.

you're not shiri, you would have called my cell phone by now laughing at my bitterness.
I use a tier list to effectively weigh in the compiled opinions of top players in a singular number, while still being one of the most involved members on SWF for your character. (Not always the best information, but I try/test new things often) That way I can see what others are saying and contrast them to my views, and keep toward the path that (I think every Yoshi main wants as well) to prove that my main is viable.

I hope that I can be viewed by others as pleasant, but from what I send, you can percieve me however you like. If you have any specific misinformation you think I have spread, please tell me about it, either here or in PM.

The Shiri comment was because I was looking at all the emoticons, and after finding 5 of Yoshi, I recognized one as Shiri's signature Yoshi.

I've been mentioned a lot lately.
Hi there :)

:phone:
Hey there, Tero.

Speaking of age trends, has anybody noticed all the top top players started when they were like 12 or something?
I haven't noticed anything (I don't know much about smashers' personal lives) but do you mean they started competitive play at 12, or casual play and becoming familiar at the game.

D

Deleted member

I hope that I can be viewed by others as pleasant, but from what I send, you can percieve me however you like. If you have any specific misinformation you think I have spread, please tell me about it, either here or in PM.
nope i was agreeing with your implicit sarcasm, albeit in a more bitter and biting manner.

the misinformation thing is just a common occurrence on this forum, and in this thread in particular.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
To Umbreon: Oh, well then I guess I look foolish now, right? Sorry. . .

To everyone: Moving back to campus this Friday (with girlfriend) (I'll also have local smashers again), and classes start Monday. Between being able to play more smash, having a girlfriend around, and school starting back up, I will be posting less (probably). I'll still be around though. :D

Axle075

Smash Rookie
NNID
The_Azure_Wolf
3DS FC
4270-0306-2827
I think I agree with everything except how low Ganon is, I expected him to be number one, but I suppose that's just my experience, Especially since Melee is my least favorite of the three.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I think I agree with everything except how low Ganon is, I expected him to be number one, but I suppose that's just my experience, Especially since Melee is my least favorite of the three.
Ganon has few strengths and quite a few weaknesses, he's fine where he is, imo.
Definitely not even close to number one lol.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I was just wondering why Ganondorf is in the very middle of the tiers. Before I get into what I mean, allow me to first put out there that I have been playing for years, and I have watched MANY videos of the tournament masters.

My brother and I found out, through years of play, literally EVERY advanced technique in the game, except the wavedash, which we stumbled upon, but wrote off as simply hilarious. I was surprised to find that all the wacky observations we have encountered and adapted are actually defined in the glossary in the sticky topic above! Three of the particularly surprising terms that I could not believe had been widely known and utilized were the Phantom Hit (I just thought I had a glitchy game) and that effect where recovering at the right time from attacks that sent you flying results in an upward boost if you jump out/air dodge/whatever early enough (I cannot remember what it was called in the sticky), and the waveland.

Now, I have been using Ganondorf against my brother lately, and he cannot seem to beat me. We think we know why, and we think it puts Ganon at the top of the tiers. I will be brief. Ganondorf has his air forward. We call it 'The Punch.' It has that special hitbox like a sword, hence it goes right through anything except an attack with that same type of hitbox. It does 17% max, is relatively fast executing, has basically instant recovery on a barrier cancel, and is quite massive, killing at rather low percentages.

If he misses, he can just do his A punch if the opponent tries to retaliate, or shield/roll. I am telling you, Ganondorf is a crazy meat mountain who crushes bones with many attacks doing 15+%, survives to insane damages thanks to his weight, and has ridiculous horizontal recovery (Double Jump, Ganondorf Kick Down B, ANOTHER Double Jump, ARE YOU SERIOUS, Up B).

Next, check his roll. It goes like half screen. It makes him rather fast, nearly eliminating his speed problem on the ground, and a great character when it comes to the defensive game. It pretty much eliminates the need for his wavedash, which, with Ganondorf, who needs to do most of his attacking from hops, is pretty much useless already unless you are looking to smash attack. Wavesmashing, however, in my opinion, is also a bad idea, because, in the time and damage it takes you to actually land a smash, you could have just used The Punch and killed you opponent by then.

Even though he has to fight mostly in the air, 3 of his 4 air attacks are pretty fast, and are quite massive. A major advantage he has is that nearly all his attacks move the opponent considerably, and can topple him from 0%, so his opponent gets little to no counterattack opportunity.

The only explanation I can find for why he is low on the tiers is that no one has used him seriously. I think he really keeps up, if not tops, the top tier characters.

I really do not like to simply shoot my mouth, and I am not one who thinks it right to shower a character in encomium, and never actually prove anything. Is there online for this somewhere, or is that simply wishful thinking? If not, please do not yell at me and stuff until you at least check out The Punch. Goes right through projectiles, goes right through attacks, goes right through faces. Please just give Ganondorf another shot and tell me what you thnk.

Final Comment: People have a tendency to think that posts from newcomers to a board but veterans of its respective game are saying they are better than everyone else, regardles of what the post actually says. Please note that I did not say 'I am better than you' or 'Ganon is better than Fox.' I said, essentially: 'Ganon seems to be great. These are his strengths. He may top Fox. Check him out and see if you agree.' I will say, however, that I am a full master of Ganondorf.

Please give Ganondorf a second look before responding so you know where I am coming from!

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf ain't that good. He is slow and the "punch" can't compensate that. It's a good move, yes, but that alone doesn't make him viable in high level play. There are ways to go around that move.

I won't further analyze Ganondorf for the time being (I'll leave that to the more experienced players), but I'd like to give a last comment regarding his recovery: it's worthless. Sure, you can reach a decent distance, but the gimp possibilities on his UpB are too severe. Easy edge guard victim much?

Also; waveshine.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Is it wrong that i was getting really inspired by that ganon post and started reconsidering how good ganon is before i snapped out of it and realized ganon is trash?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Is it wrong that i was getting really inspired by that ganon post and started reconsidering how good ganon is before i snapped out of it and realized ganon is trash?
He's good enough to at least get top 3-5 at most tournaments. =) I still feel like it's definitely possible to actually win, I just have to be a better player.

Edit: All I really need is a couple of shots to kill someone, I know how to kill them quickly.

Top Bottom