• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Ok i remembered what I had to say!
Lets shift focus from the bottom, since its less important at the moment, aaaall the way to the top.
Does puff reeally deserve to be #3?
She's obviously top 7, but should she really be ahead of sheik and marth?
Or even peach?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I like puff at 4th, beneath spacies and Sheik.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Thing is, we should imho mostly base on the top tier (ICs cutoff) matchups. Nobody else below this has a winning matchup against anybody of the top tiers (even is quite possible, but they don't win. Nope, YL does not beat puff, I think he is fairly even with her). While it is most certainly helpful to have better matchups against the lower echelons of the cast, it is not necessary, since we expect the best player to win, and therefore he should be able to win the even matchups with his superior playerskill.
I can't really get behind the "best chance to win tournaments" in regards to other stuff. If we did value results that much, we would have to move puff into mid-low tiers the very instant HungryBox decides to quit the game, and currently have Peach above spacies since Armada wins pretty much everything he attends (altough PP made it really close last time, I'm still most impressed by him ... he's playing so smart <3). Mind you, I totally agree that a tier list IS defining which characters are most likely to do well in tourney. I just don't see anything other than matchup - considerations to define this doing-well somewhat objectively.
I do think that it's ok to weight matchups between the top tiers differently (good ICs matchup is far less important than doing well against spacies), based on popularity, if it comes down to that.

So I pretty much agree with the current tier list (didn't include ICs in the following thoughts about matchups, because I don't know **** about them, apart from their losing matchup to Peach)

Fox, Falco, puff, sheik, marth, peach, falcon

Fox > beats: Puff, Peach, Falcon. Even: Falco (if one of those beats the other it is so close that I don't care). IDK: Sheik, Marth. Might have a slight advantage over Sheik, but it's really close. Might have a slight disadvantage to Marth if FD isn't avoidable for the Fox).
No losing matchups and wins quite a few. He would clearly be #1, if he didn't lack something (consistency probably) to win in the end. Therefore think he is pretty much tied with the bird. Maybe if somebody explored a smarter and less technical playstyle he'd do really well. I think the best idea fox can have is to play careful, but not too campy (shooting lasers nonstop is having a too bad risk/reward quotient :) ). Lots of dash dances, waiting for the safe approach option (really similar to Peepees playstyle, just with more speed and less laser control, because duh :D)
Falco > beats: Falcon. Even: Fox, Puff, Sheik, Marth, Peach (might have some slight (dis- or ) advantage in some of these, but it's really close either way).
So no matches that he loses count for really much in my book, if he isn't #1, he is at least #2.
Puff > beats: Sheik, Peach. Even: Falco, Marth. Loses to: Fox. IDK about the Puff Falcon matchup, rarely seen this happen, and never between equal players. If I had to guess, I'd say she wins due to edgeguarding abilities / really long bair combos that lead to edgeguards.
Sheik > beats: Marth, Peach, Falcon. Even: Fox (?), Falco. Loses to: Puff.
If Puff doesn't win the Falcon matchup, and Sheik really is even against Fox, I still wouldn't put Sheik at #3, despite having one more winning matchup, and not losing more. I feel Puff being better in the direct Matchup is fairly important here and they don't do that different in the Fox matchup (I think Fox doesn't have that big of an advantage over Puff, and if he beats Sheik it's not by much).
Marth > beats: nobody. Even: Fox (?), Falco, Puff, Peach, Falcon. Loses to: Sheik.
Even though he beats nobody, and Peach handily demolishes ICs, I feel that Marths even spacie matchups and less losing matchups are preferable here.
Peach > beats: [ICs]. Even: Falco, Marth. Loses to: Fox, Puff, Sheik, Falcon.
While Peach loses the direct matchup against Falcon and her winning matchup is pretty irrelevant most of the time, she has the advantage of a better Falco matchup, which in todays metagame seems highly preferable to me.
Falcon > beats: Peach. Even: Marth. Loses to: Fox, Falco, Sheik. Puff?

Tier separation would pretty much be the Shining Guys + maaaybe Puff and Sheik (if puff makes it, I think Sheik should be up there as well, since she beats pretty much everyone below her (with the exception of an even ICs matchup I hear)). I feel ICs themselves are clearly #8, but I think they are so close in terms of viablity that there doesn't have to be a tier just for them, even if there is a huge gap in avg. voting places between them and the next best character, who I can't see any higher than #7 as well anyways :D (even though I find that pretty sad, CF is probably the coolest character in the game... too bad I care too much about winning to play him :x Go away with your "says the peach main who puts her at #6"-remarks, I started maining her before I had any idea how good she really was, and my Falco is inching towards her level anyways. Plus she is really fun, and so many people fail to adjust their playstyle for her, and in that case she is imho winning some of her matchups that she should actually be losing :D)

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Thing is, we should imho mostly base on the top tier (ICs cutoff) matchups. Nobody else below this has a winning matchup against anybody of the top tiers (even is quite possible, but they don't win. Nope, YL does not beat puff, I think he is fairly even with her). While it is most certainly helpful to have better matchups against the lower echelons of the cast, it is not necessary, since we expect the best player to win, and therefore he should be able to win the even matchups with his superior playerskill.
I can't really get behind the "best chance to win tournaments" in regards to other stuff. If we did value results that much, we would have to move puff into mid-low tiers the very instant HungryBox decides to quit the game, and currently have Peach above spacies since Armada wins pretty much everything he attends (altough PP made it really close last time, I'm still most impressed by him ... he's playing so smart <3). Mind you, I totally agree that a tier list IS defining which characters are most likely to do well in tourney. I just don't see anything other than matchup - considerations to define this doing-well somewhat objectively.
I do think that it's ok to weight matchups between the top tiers differently (good ICs matchup is far less important than doing well against spacies), based on popularity, if it comes down to that.

So I pretty much agree with the current tier list (didn't include ICs in the following thoughts about matchups, because I don't know **** about them, apart from their losing matchup to Peach)

Fox, Falco, puff, sheik, marth, peach, falcon

Fox > beats: Puff, Peach, Falcon. Even: Falco (if one of those beats the other it is so close that I don't care). IDK: Sheik, Marth. Might have a slight advantage over Sheik, but it's really close. Might have a slight disadvantage to Marth if FD isn't avoidable for the Fox).
No losing matchups and wins quite a few. He would clearly be #1, if he didn't lack something (consistency probably) to win in the end. Therefore think he is pretty much tied with the bird.
Falco > beats: Falcon. Even: Fox, Puff, Sheik, Marth, Peach (might have some slight (dis- or ) advantage in some of these, but it's really close either way).
So no matches that he loses count for really much in my book, if he isn't #1, he is at least #2.
Puff > beats: Sheik, Peach. Even: Falco, Marth. Loses to: Fox. IDK about the Puff Falcon matchup, rarely seen this happen, and never between equal players. If I had to guess, I'd say she wins due to edgeguarding abilities / really long bair combos that lead to edgeguards.
Sheik > beats: Marth, Peach, Falcon. Even: Fox (?), Falco. Loses to: Puff.
If Puff doesn't win the Falcon matchup, and Sheik really is even against Fox, I still wouldn't put Sheik at #3, despite having one more winning matchup, and not losing more. I feel Puff being better in the direct Matchup is fairly important here and they don't do that different in the Fox matchup (I think Fox doesn't have that big of an advantage over Puff, and if he beats Sheik it's not by much).
Marth > beats: nobody. Even: Fox (?), Falco, Puff, Peach, Falcon. Loses to: Sheik.
Even though he beats nobody, and Peach handily demolishes ICs, I feel that Marths even spacie matchups and less losing matchups are preferable here.
Peach > beats: [ICs]. Even: Falco, Marth. Loses to: Fox, Puff, Sheik, Falcon.
While Peach loses the direct matchup against Falcon and her winning matchup is pretty irrelevant most of the time, she has the advantage of a better Falco matchup, which in todays metagame seems highly preferable to me.
Falcon > beats: Peach. Even: Marth. Loses to: Fox, Falco, Sheik. Puff?

Tier separation would pretty much be the Shining Guys + maaaybe Puff and Sheik (if puff makes it, I think Sheik should be up there as well, since she beats pretty much everyone below her (with the exception of an even ICs matchup I hear)). I feel ICs themselves are clearly #8, but I think they are so close in terms of viablity that there doesn't have to be a tier just for them, even if there is a huge gap in avg. voting places between them and the next best character, who I can't see any higher than #7 as well anyways :D (even though I find that pretty sad, CF is probably the coolest character in the game... too bad I care too much about winning to play him :x Go away with your "says the peach main who puts her at #6"-remarks, I started maining her before I had any idea how good she really was, and my Falco is inching towards her level anyways. Plus she is really fun, and so many people fail to adjust their playstyle for her, and in that case she is imho winning some of her matchups that she should actually be losing :D)
Last time I heard Ganondorf beats ICs. So the top 8 don't win all the matchups beneath them.

I agree with most everything else though. In particular not weighing top 8 matchups differently and that match up considerations are the only thing that can be used to objectively create a tier list.

D

Deleted member

Spacing side-b so you dont get crouch grabbed makes it better than grab.

:phone:
if ganon can still crouchgrab roys tip side b...yeah it still ***** him. roys grab is better.

we really have no reason to think that sheik is better than jigglypuff right now.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I take everything back, on account of people (somebody) agreeing with me whose opinion I don't want to share, especially if they even go ahead and fullquote posts beyond the 40 lines ballpark :x :D

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
if ganon can still crouchgrab roys tip side b...yeah it still ***** him. roys grab is better.

we really have no reason to think that sheik is better than jigglypuff right now.
ganon has an *** grab range compared to his frame. he can't grab tipped side-b. I was just playing a ganon main the other day (Eikelmann from florida) the other day and it whiffed.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I think a more correct statement is "If you have to work to make it usable it's not your best move"

If i do x and my opponent only does y, then clearly this is my best move

It should be if I do X my opponent can ONLY do y, because x is my best move

Bones0

Smash Legend
What can Roy do out of grab? I feel like I've asked this a few times now and haven't gotten an answer. Obviously vs. spacies he can do uthrow ****, but vs. everyone else I can't begin to imagine what he can do beyond a single hit followed by reset to neutral...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Roy throws them on the ground and tech chases and that's it.

with Bad DI from opponents, he can get d-throw>f-smash

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
f-throw natually doesn't but if you DI in you can get hit a couple times , so most people DI out and then fall on the floor

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I was thinking about this, and I just realized that nobody here could possibly know what characters are good. Nobody here has enough experience, as all tournaments suffer from the game-crippling disease of concession to popular demand. For example, I see this: People think spacies are good, so people tend to play spacies. When people tend to play spacies, spacies become the most common, and hold an unbalanced representation. When spacies are over-represented, popular demand is skewed, so that it dictates that spacies recieve benefits (ex: two old CP stages, Brinstar and Pokemon Stadium. Pokemon stadium is beneficial toward spacies, Brinstar is beneficial toward floaties. Which one remains?)

So now there is a bias affecting the system, and the power schemes already present become strengthened. Spacies are good, so people make spacies better.

Let us pretend there is a smash community completely isolated from smashboards and tournaments, and they all become good. Let us also assume they find Marth and Peach are good, and most people play them. Eventually they make Final Destination the only legal stage. Wouldn't spacies be handicapped?

I admit this is an extreme comparison, but I think it should be considered. Possibly some characters are being held back because of the way the competitive scene is set up. Also, I thin,k the fact that the MBR stagelist only has 1 CP stage is ridiculous (interesting how it is good for both spacies?), and should be removed, or accompanied by further CP stages.
Well, s***. All these long years of hard worked have counted for naught. Pack it up boys, we're done here.

D

Deleted member

Do you just dthrow tech chase? Fthrow doesn't even force a lot of the cast to land if I'm not mistaken.
you guys only think of throws in terms of combos too much.

the point of roy's throws is to put the opponent into a bad or awkward position such that hitting them with your noodle sword doesn't get you ***** or can lead to other set-ups or edge guards.

for example, you can throw an opponent, and then maybe they won't be prepared to say crouchgrab your side B.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I agree with Umbreon in regards to Roy. Just because a move doesn't have a direct or guaranteed benefit doesn't mean it isn't good/viable. The Roy simply has to react/read in a way to keep building damage against their opponent. I live in Corvallis during the school year, and play with a Falcon main that has a pretty good Roy secondary/fun character. He can hold his own/win matches with his brother. (The Falcon main that plays Roy and his brother are both top 5 in Oregon, so I'm not talking about bad players.)

JPOBS

Smash Hero
woah, slow down there gramps.

I'd say there's plenty of reason to think that sheik > jiggs.

For starters, they both do about the same more or less vs the other top tiers. Fox beats puff (allegedly) and both spacies go about even with sheik. Sheik beats marth handily, while the jury is still out of marth vs puff. They both beat Peach and Falcon.
Puff probably beats sheik so theres that i guess.
Also, sheik doesn't randomly struggle vs ganon/doc/ics the way puff does.

so why are you so sure that puff > sheik is a given?

D

Deleted member

woah, slow down there gramps.

I'd say there's plenty of reason to think that sheik > jiggs.

For starters, they both do about the same more or less vs the other top tiers. Fox beats puff (allegedly) and both spacies go about even with sheik. Sheik beats marth handily, while the jury is still out of marth vs puff. They both beat Peach and Falcon.
Puff probably beats sheik so theres that i guess.
Also, sheik doesn't randomly struggle vs ganon/doc/ics the way puff does.

so why are you so sure that puff > sheik is a given?
because i can see that jigglypuff places better at tournaments, as opposed to saying a bunch of speculation about match-ups.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Sheik kinda struggles with ICs...
And no puff doesn't place better.
What puff places outside of Hbox (and abu, since he's the best on the planet)?
Whereas there are plenty of sheiks (most notably M2K and KK)

D

Deleted member

Sheik kinda struggles with ICs...
And no puff doesn't place better.
What puff places outside of Hbox (and abu, since he's the best on the planet)?
Whereas there are plenty of sheiks (most notably M2K and KK)
so if hbox outplaces both m2k and kk regularly at nationals, we should overlook that? and once again speculate match-ups instead?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
because i can see that jigglypuff places better at tournaments, as opposed to saying a bunch of speculation about match-ups.
Heh wasn't expecting that. I'm usually right there with you. I'm a big proponent of results too. But my question is now:

What are your thoughts on peach? Is she therefore the ebst character in the game?
And if not, how do you rationalize puff > sheik but not peach > everyone using results and ignoring matchups?

D

Deleted member

Heh wasn't expecting that. I'm usually right there with you. I'm a big proponent of results too. But my question is now:

What are your thoughts on peach? Is she therefore the ebst character in the game?
And if not, how do you rationalize puff > sheik but not peach > everyone using results and ignoring matchups?
right now i think falco is clearly the best placing character at the top level of play, and then fox, mostly because they have so much representation that multiple players can permeate the results in the top 8s with those characters.

similarly, i would have put jigglypuff over peach because armada is only one player, whereas hungrybox and mango are like 1.15 jigglypuff players or something, and mango's minor input as the character could still put jigglypuff ahead of peach in the results thing. i could just be totally wrong though, i have no idea how much mango really contributes to jigglypuff's performance anymore.

armada and m2k only being one player each is also part of the reason i put peach over marth for now.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
That makes no sense.
There is only one puff that really places.
There are two big sheiks.
If you're going off of representation, fox/falco > sheik > falcon > puff/ peach > marth
Which i do not feel is accurate.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
How is mango still counted for jiggs? Its been a pretty long time since he was maining her. If he counts then wouldn't vanz and macd count for peach? (And they both where playing peach more recently then mango with jiggs)

:phone:

JPOBS

Smash Hero
peach > marth was all i needed to hear.

I for one, welcome our new dark-type pokemon overlord.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
If you want to go straight up by results, lets make it fun and go by ssbpd. :p Peach>Jiggs>Marth>Falco>IC>Shiek>Doc>Fox>Falcon. Seems legit.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
It seems pretty futile to argue about this list when the new one is practically done.

The tier list is opinion based. People can take into account all of their experiences with the game. It isn't a process that can be (reasonably) calculated mathematically, but our brains have evolved to be able to balance those types of things fairly quickly.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Xyzz: Why do you see Peach/Marth as even? And why don't you think Puff has that large of a disadvantage against Fox?

Also, Marth's upthrow is really strong vs Sheik/Peach, not because it leads into a direct combo, but it puts them in a bad/awkward position from where he can abuse them with utilt/uair/fair. Roy's throws, similiarly, don't give direct punishes on non spacies, but can put other characters in positions they are ill-equipped to deal with.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Well, I'm not saying that they punish nonspacies exactly the same, but they're similar in that they can take advantage of a bad positon. Obviously, Marth's uthrow > Roy's uthrow, but to say that Roy gets little off of grabs if his opponent isn't a spacie isn't exactly right.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
It seems pretty futile to argue about this list when the new one is practically done.

The tier list is opinion based. People can take into account all of their experiences with the game. It isn't a process that can be (reasonably) calculated mathematically, but our brains have evolved to be able to balance those types of things fairly quickly.
Are you still only receiving input from 12 players?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Xyzz: Why do you see Peach/Marth as even? And why don't you think Puff has that large of a disadvantage against Fox?

Also, Marth's upthrow is really strong vs Sheik/Peach, not because it leads into a direct combo, but it puts them in a bad/awkward position from where he can abuse them with utilt/uair/fair. Roy's throws, similiarly, don't give direct punishes on non spacies, but can put other characters in positions they are ill-equipped to deal with.

Fox / Puff:
Real world example: Hbox taking games of Mango :)
Theorystuff: I think while fox is really good at controlling the pace of the matchup and getting really early kills, Jiggs can easily return the favor and kill him at every percent if she gets him offstage (and maybe a read), due to her obscene edgeguard. Plus all it takes is one missed DI on the upthrow, and Fox gets rested.

Peach / Marth:
I think I've done that quite a few times already.
Marth has: a long swords to keep Peach from approaching (she can use turnips though to get in on him, so it's not unbeatable).
Great juggles, but so does Peach. Hers are just harder to use, but the potential is there.
great edge guards, but again Peach isn't shy about returning the favor.
I do however think, that it takes a really good Peach (vanz / macd level at least) to really even out the matchup. Her stuff is much harder to use but just as consistent, if you can do it.
At low levels Marth can end his stuff in a far better position, than Peach will, so he can correct his mistakes in combos easier, while Peach usually has to work to get another combo starter (good players drop far less combos, so for them it isn't that bad).
Might write more later, but I'm pretty tired right now and need to get up in about 3 hours :x

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I think that on Peach/Marth, I tend to agree with you (even though I generally think that Marth has the edge in that he controls the neutral a lot better, and his combos outdo hers). Her juggles on Marth are weird because of his weight, but she's decent enough at forcing him to watch his landings vs her.

I think that soon, we're going to see Fox/Puff get worse, but that's largely based in theory. Right now, the MU doesn't honestly look that bad, I will give you that.

Top Bottom