• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
But how can we know that one of Bowser's better MUs in the top tier is against Marth? We've never seen a high level match play out?

Warhawk

Smash Lord
lol that's what i've been trying to tell thes epeople. marth sucks so bad
But its way more important to have a good matchup spread and solidly beat most the cast and go even or near even with the rest than it is to destroy 2/3rds of the cast but have several bad matchups among more common characters. Marth still beats these other characters solidly too, just not as badly as the rest of the high tiers do and these are the characters that are less common in tournament anyways so it doesn't really affect how good Marth is.

Varist

Smash Lord
[glow] holy **** why did it take me so long to discover this

why is this a well-kept secret.

wtf. and i thought I was just tired[/glow]

Construct

Smash Journeyman
ICs go hard against Sheik from what i've seen. If spacies were banned, Marth would drop like a stone. The best thing he has going for him is his silly combo powers against fox/less extent falco. Sheik>Puff>Peach>Falcon>ICs>Marth>others in a spacie free world imo

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
That may be, but everything else is at least better than even for everyone above him.

Except Jigglypuff she gets camped hard by like, 60% of low tier. But then she just has to remember she's Jigglypuff and has options for everything instead of just a bair and can go more aggressive against them.

S0fting Kirby, discuss.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ice climbers bodies puff, i still stand by this

i seriously had a dream that i was playing against hungrybox last night LOL

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I can't imagine a world without spacies. My character would be unplayable.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
okay, if we're going to do this discussion, we should at least define playable
if we're going with the definition that playable means you can select them on the character select screen, then yes, roy is indeed playable
unless u didnt unlock him yet

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Roy is so legit, he gets hard countered by mewtwo.

:cool:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it's okay leffen, all new players think low tiers are good because they can do that one thing on FD against spacies. after a while they'll become jaded like us and realize how retardedly imbalanced this game is
IF ONLY IT WEREN'T SO DAMN FUN

leffen

Smash Champion
this game has like 14 100% viable characters to main (with the ~5 last or so who could arguably use a secondary)

maybe 6 more who are perfectly viable with a secondary

and then there are the rest (that aren't copies, roy and pichu) who are viable as a secondary/counterpick because noone will ever know the matchup.

this is 10 years after release
and the top tiers have more depth to them than most competitive games have all together

and honestly, having more viable characters than melee just causes inconsistency among who wins, which imho is worse for a competitive game

sure, sfiv2012 is cool because there is 43 characters and everyone has at least 5 decent-good high tier matchups

but then you realize that there is no way that you could be top level (armada vs fox good) in every matchup
this makes sure that top players will always flop in pools because of matchups they don't know lol

dont get me ****ing started on marvel LOL

One of my favorite things with melee atm is how there is the top 5 (Marth/Sheik/Puff/Fox/Falco) who all could be argued for #1 and who all have one matchup who can be seen as them losing.
All of these characters are really ****ing hard and unique and all of them have great players

then you have peach (easily the best character for new players) Falcon (pretty simple but very flashy, you always have crowd advantage etc) Ice climbers (very unique - few have exp against them)

I could go on but cba lol

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Thank you. It's not just the chain grab, the dtilt the gimping edge guarding. Techhasing, can't be waveshined.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
u can mix up:
down tilt -> F smash which is great always, but super great if they DI away.
with
down tilt -> SH fair -> Down tilt -> SH fair -> down tilt, which is great if they DI in.
as they DI into it all, they gotta guess or react super super fast (generally guess esp since no one has experience vs roy).

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Yeah, I've also experienced that. Runaway M2 just takes a dump. You could honestly play to time out a Roy and it would work because he has no answer.

leffen

Smash Champion
We are not talking FD M2K, FD will be 1/5 or 0/3

and things that only work on people with little exp (like dtilt combos that assume that the opponent doesn't know how to hold away)
and what the hell are you gonna do when fox lands on a platform after the downtilt let alone slipoff.

Roy cannot kill a Fox that platform camps >_>
How is Roy gonna gimp fox? Tech Fsmash+Counter... dtilt sends up and with good DI it doesnt hit into anything as an edgeguard (and it can be teched ofc)

Side B spam as roy loses to anyone who can ASDI/CC + hold shield

Fox can do easy TOD combos on roy with drills/nair to utilt (repeat until ~50%) into FH AC bairs and juggles into kill (you can just stand and punish him just before he lands for free)

SDI ***** any combos roy could dream of getting with uair/fair

Roys chaingrab (and grab game overall) is SOOOOOOOO much worse than marths its not even funny
he cannot do **** with good DI

Just because you have almost beat some horribly inexperienced foxes on FD (the only stage that roy is decent on) doesn't mean **** M2K.

The fact that he cannot be waveshine doesn't matter when he can be thunders comboed / tech chased by reaction since he doesn't slide anywhere and to that he has TERRIBLE wakeup game...

roys nair/dtilt spacing gets ***** by run in shield/run in spotdodge/random rolls behind/waiting for it to miss (since he doesn't have marths jab/utilt to use after missed dtilt)

he has worse out of shield game than marth
and marth has a below average one lol.

If roy - fox is 40-60 then marth fox is at least 65-35

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
We are not talking FD M2K, FD will be 1/5 or 0/3

and things that only work on people with little exp (like dtilt combos that assume that the opponent doesn't know how to hold away)
and what the hell are you gonna do when fox lands on a platform after the downtilt let alone slipoff.
hold away after d-tilt and roy can just F-smash fox off stage. fox doesn't move THAT far away from roy after D-tilt, hold close and roy can juggle.

and if they do land on a platform, roy's best option is just tech chase and go for more chain grabs or throw them off stage/d-throw for a kill attempt.

Roy cannot kill a Fox that platform camps >_>
roy can use platforms quite well actually, any up air past 40% and under 90% that sweet spots WILL lead to a f-smash.

How is Roy gonna gimp fox? Tech Fsmash+Counter... dtilt sends up and with good DI it doesnt hit into anything as an edgeguard (and it can be teched ofc)
flare blade is our best option in addition to counter, both are very hard to tech. also, any d-tilt DIed out, can be followed up with FH flare blade.

Side B spam as roy loses to anyone who can ASDI/CC + hold shield
first hit of side-b is safe on shield when spaced, and fox's CC isn't nearly as strong as other characters'. also, our third hit of side be downward destroys CC.

Fox can do easy TOD combos on roy with drills/nair to utilt (repeat until ~50%) into FH AC bairs and juggles into kill (you can just stand and punish him just before he lands for free)
and roy can kill fox super early if they guess wrong between fair and f-smash.

SDI ***** any combos roy could dream of getting with uair/fair
as soon as I see ANYONE do this consistently, I'll consider it a legitimate point.

Roys chaingrab (and grab game overall) is SOOOOOOOO much worse than marths its not even funny
he cannot do **** with good DI
good DI is DIing out, which then makes roy edgeguard, and his edgeguarding isn't that bad.

Just because you have almost beat some horribly inexperienced foxes on FD (the only stage that roy is decent on) doesn't mean **** M2K.
I almost beat tang at Apex. Roy does [glow]fine[/glow]

The fact that he cannot be waveshine doesn't matter when he can be thunders comboed / tech chased by reaction since he doesn't slide anywhere and to that he has TERRIBLE wakeup game...
If foxes don't thunder's Falcos or even other foxes, I'm not going to consider this a valid point.

roys nair/dtilt spacing gets ***** by run in shield/run in spotdodge/random rolls behind/waiting for it to miss (since he doesn't have marths jab/utilt to use after missed dtilt)
WOW, who the **** runs in on a character and shields? that's not even close to a good tactic on ANYONE anymore.

this isn't ****ing brawl.

he has worse out of shield game than marth
and marth has a below average one lol.
no disagreement here.

If roy - fox is 40-60 then marth fox is at least 65-35
I wish.

Bones0

Smash Legend
WOW, who the **** runs in on a character and shields? that's not even close to a good tactic on ANYONE anymore.
I agreed with pretty much everything else, but run up shield is a downright staple of Mango's game play, and I see Armada abuse it all the time to get his nair OoS to end stocks.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
okay so its a good strategy at mango and armada's level. congrats. and that's only after what? a tech chase or at the very end of a stage

Stevo

Smash Champion
I used to run up shield/roll/dodge as my main strategy when playing Kirby.

This was like 9 years ago.

I'm pretty sure that is still one of Kirby's best strategies.
(I have no idea if this is actually true)

I'm glad Kirby's metagame has evolved so much.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I think the threat of being destroyed by SDI is a valid point even if *most* people can't do it consistently, High/top level players probably will, and isn't that the level of play we assume when discussing this things?

Also, what makes Roy's empty hop one of the best in the game?

Top Bottom