• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

Geenareeno

Smash Lord

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Also, using the fact that lasers turn around and have low stun is REALLY good. Dash away->take laser-> ftilt /grab/utilt/fsmash/dsmash etc. If they do high lasers, jump away->take laser ->fair before landing/waveland/ff into whatever, dj, side b.

Most character can not use it as well since Falco gets a free laser->ftilt combo but Marth/Sheik and a few others can just outrange the ftilt/shield grab it/cc punish for sooo hard punishment
that is such a good idea that I haven't thought about at all. I think I love you, Leffen *no homo* (:

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
Ganon's hardest matchups

0. Top Level Fox
1. Sheik
2. Fox
3. Falco
4. Jiggs
7. MarthPeachFalcon
i thought this post was cute because it has the whole "0" thing and it wasnt edited or anything.

also i thought ganons hated falcons. oh well.

and lol @ kirbykaze, i dont care how flashy people think falcons combos look, they are basic and he is a flawed character, to me rooting for falcon is like rooting for one of the big buff idiots bruce lee is fighting, whos always throwing his weight around and over committing.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
also i thought ganons hated falcons. oh well.

and lol @ kirbykaze, i dont care how flashy people think falcons combos look, they are basic and he is a flawed character, to me rooting for falcon is like rooting for one of the big buff idiots bruce lee is fighting, whos always throwing his weight around and over committing.
Yea, when I play Ganon I think Falcon's around as hard as Falco sometimes. My roommate is a Ganon main and I think he struggles more against Falcon than Falco. How are Falcon's combos basic though?

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
i just feel like the fact that he *can* easily techchase off throws and kill with the same 2-3 hits combos chars like say sheik can,but at 50% lower, makes him kinda like...meh.

but i know he isnt a great character, because his recover sucks ad he is imbalanced and a flawed character.

just wanted to say i understand that already so i dont hear falcon main johns.

EDIT: falcon imo is just one of those chars people should use once its like 4am and they are tired of using chars that take more effort to use

seriously i hear falcons john on swf more than any other char even mid tier mains, stop johning or stop using the guy

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I'm curious, specifically which characters take more effort to use than falcon?

I don't think any character in the game is fundamentally difficult to use. All the good characters can get by abusing a few basic strategies. That's what makes them good in the first place. Saying "falcon isnt hard to use" sounds really dumb to me, becase neither are falco/fox/marth/sheik/peach/ganon/doc/samus/puff

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I don't see Marth, Peach, Falcon, Samus, Doc, or Ganon as having few basic strategies that can be abused at ALL (unless your playing bad people, I guess).

If they did, I think they'd be higher on the list.

Also, "hard to use" is highly subjective....

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Float cancel for peach and traps the go along with it.

Marth has corner traps and edge traps, not to mention edge guarding.

Falcon has his movement and punish game.

These are all abusable tactics.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
doc is about being good at the game LOL. pill traps, grab combos, jab followups... everything about him is average but usable. he's legit

winning with samus is about making the opponent think there is an opening when there really isn't. LOL.

ganon is about fear, and making people respect your limbs until they are pushed into a corner, then ganon can capitalize on the escape option.

these main reason these 3 characters have a hard time is because of lesser mobility, but they can win if they use good baits and traps in order to win the encounters.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Well if you're talking about playing average smashers. Properly DDWDing can be abused by almost the whole cast to land first hits, and then from there it's about follow ups. I know when I auto-pilot vs. worse players, I do stuff like:

Falco - spam lasers; SHFFL nair/dair-shine
Fox - DD grab into uthrow uair; nair plane; drill shine usmash/grab
Marth - DD grab; WD back fsmash/utilt; run up dtilt; wall of pain with fairs
Falcon - DD grab; nair plane; side-B knee; spam stomp reads until you get a stomp-knee
Mario - WD back fsmash; WD forward utilt; uair combos; spam CC dsmash; abuse ledge dash invinc
Jiggs - wall of pain bairs; utilt/uair/uthrow/jab reset/any other basic rest setup
Sheik - dthrow ftilt fair; spaced SH fairs
Samus - CC dsmash; WD back ftilt; up-B OoS
Peach - CC dsmash; nair OoS; dash canceled dsmash; FC aerial jab/dsmash; dsmash on platforms; dsmash
Ganon - fair jab/ftilt; side-B; dthrow into guaranteed ****

Notice how much overlap there is amongst characters. So many chars can abuse basic mechanics like CCing, DD grab, WD in and out for approaches and baits, covering shield grabs with jabs, etc.

Basically everyone has crazy ****, but that's how Melee, and (fighting) games in general, work. Falcon's crazy **** isn't significantly easier than anyone else's. The reason Falcon mains john/complain is because he has to endure a 30 second edge guard that is usually futile every time they mess up. Some characters die really fast when they **** up, and some characters can usually recover when they **** up. The reason none of this stuff results in a shallow game is because each little technique becomes a million times more deep when players know how to deal with it either by spacing, (S)DIing, teching, etc. That's why matchup knowledge is so crucial, and why a lot of the dumb **** you see on lower level players never comes into play at the top level (or only comes into play in the form of mixups rather than something you can always add without fear of counters).

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
man i just typed "m2k" in in youtube search and the first thing that popped up in the suggested search was "m2k vs ocean"

after all these years his legacy is currently this.

gonna cry, cya

lol jpobs. yeah i take it back, falcon is the pinnacle of difficulty in the known universe.

get out

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
When i type in "m2k" first vid is m2k vs shiz rom1 game 4

edit- oh in the google "is this what you meant to type" suggestion... gotcha

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
When I type "melee" into YouTube, the third match that shows up is M2K vs Shiz at Rom1, game 4. I think that's fitting.

Bones, that is a painfully clever location.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ganon's hardest matchups

0. Top Level Fox
1. Sheik
2. Fox
3. Falco
4. Jiggs
7. MarthPeachFalcon
Mmm.. I wonder how can you say Top Level Fox is hardest for Ganon, when there isn't a Ganon on par with a top level Fox? lol.

He probably trained his reflexes and eyes in the art of cg'ing Sheik. And DI.

KK wins because it's a 65:35 mu :troll:

LOL
Right.. Nope, I developed new 2012 tactics, it'll definitely help me for sure for every match-up. KK only heard about doing reverse dash attack to continue combos, but I have more now. =)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Mmm.. I wonder how can you say Top Level Fox is hardest for Ganon, when there isn't a Ganon on par with a top level Fox? lol.
Fox has it easier approaching Ganon (run speed, nair, shine, etc) safely than sheik does imo, and at top level he won't be making as many mistakes (which are essentially mandatory for Ganon to have a chance at winning). Sheik is really bad too, i just think fox has slightly better options... sheiks are just easier.

How can you say sheik is the hardest when there is no Ganon on par with m2k?

As much as I hate the concept of theorizing about matchups, it's inevitable. If 100x more people played smash we'd have a lot more tourney results to base ideas off of, but that's not the case lol

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

What do you consider the skill difference between kels and yourself? I would consider both of you skilled enough to judge that match-up from. You are the most successful ganon and kels is a top 5 fox. In terms of experience and results I would give you the edge, however kels won when you played.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
What do you consider the skill difference between kels and yourself? I would consider both of you skilled enough to judge that match-up from. You are the most successful ganon and kels is a top 5 fox. In terms of experience and results I would give you the edge, however kels won when you played.
I don't think he would be that much better or worse than me. But ya he won... though if I could edgeguard!!!! Then the result may of been different.. lol. But I mean it doesn't really prove that Fox is harder than Sheik. I lost to probably an equal amount of Foxes and Sheiks and Falcos.. so actually it's hard to say.

I mean all it really says is a top 5 Fox can beat Number 1 Ganon. QQ

leffen

Smash Champion
what has kels done that proves that he is a "top 5" fox? Yeah he defeated Kage, but so did a lot of foxes (OMG SHOYO TOP 5 FOX).

Top 2 foxes are easily Mango then Javi and then there are about a billion foxes that excel in different matchups. Unknown, Lovage and SW are probably the ones who would be picked the most as top 5 but there are TONS of other great foxes that could easily be top 5 now (I'd like to consider myself one of them ;D)

I MEAN MW SUCKS

Top Bottom