• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
i've seen a video where you can...but i can't seem to remember what i searched on youtube.
so to answer your question, yes.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
TECHNICAL (not really ordered)
Fox
Falco
Ice Climbers
Sheik (if you learn random needle camping stuff)
Peach (if you learn DJCnairs and random stuff)
Samus
Ness

AREN'T TECHNICAL (no particular order)
Marth
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Mario
Roy
Zelda
Game and Watch
Pikachu
Pichu
Kirby

HAVE NO CLUE
Mewtwo??
Bowser??
Link??
Young Link??
Yoshi??

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
How can I be able to learn how to power shield more often then I usually do? I can do it all the time in Brawl but in Melee the timing has been a real pain for me. Any ways to practice?
It's not really worth it to powershield consistently, unless you're using it to reflect projectiles like Falco's lasers. The timing is a lot stricter than in Brawl, and you really have to see a move coming in order to powershield it, which is hard to predict when playing good people. You never see people powershielding "all the time".

You'd be better off spending your time practicing your L-canceling.

SDR

Smash Rookie
* I only hope newer players will actually look at this thread instead of posting ridiculous topic that are already covered in this post *

Lovage

Smash Hero
QUESTION

do multihit moves like falco's up air count each hit as a separate hit? or is the move one hit. would hitting with both parts of falco's uair re-fresh your moves twice? or would it count like any other move.

this is important if you want to maximize falco's combos by refreshing shine so it doesn't cause the opponent to fly off the ground when you shine a missed tech

Pi

Smash Hero
QUESTION

do multihit moves like falco's up air count each hit as a separate hit? or is the move one hit. would hitting with both parts of falco's uair re-fresh your moves twice? or would it count like any other move.

this is important if you want to maximize falco's combos by refreshing shine so it doesn't cause the opponent to fly off the ground when you shine a missed tech
Ummmmm
Not sure if it's related, but I know multi hit jab's refresh each other.
Doc's for example, his first hit acts to refresh the second, and the third, and etc. etc.

But upair might be a different case.

How can I be able to learn how to power shield more often then I usually do? I can do it all the time in Brawl but in Melee the timing has been a real pain for me. Any ways to practice?

It's actually not THAT hard to powershield fairly consistently. You juss have to KNOW what attack they are going to use.
It's easier if you understand how it works;
To power shield in melee, the hitbox for what you are powershielding needs to be within your shield 'box' but not hitting your hurtbox.
Basically what you're trying to do is 'catch' the move's hitbox in your shield, but before it hits you.
To make this easier, you are going to want to angle your shield in the direction of the hit, to maximize the space to catch it in.
For example, when falco is peppering you with lasers, run toward the lasers, and hold forward.
This way when you press shield (all the way down, must be pressed all the way down to activate power shield) your shield is angled forward providing a larger window in which to 'catch' the laser.
I use to practice this with two controllers, I would run around and press B w/ my toe and power shield the laser.
From this I am often able to, if I predict it, powershield my friend marth's attacks, such as his forwardsmash.
I treat it the same way as the laser, I run into the hit and try to time my shield to powershield it.

Apart from angling your shield, you really juss have to devote a decent amount of time to learning the timing.
The reason you probably won't be able to powershield as consistently as you like is because different attacks are going to have different timings and your opponent should not be being so predictable.

[Edit]
Links grab > Samus' grab
Stfu >=|
I got into the habit of JC my grabs (with other chars) and I can't break it, so now I always JC my samus grabs even though dash grab is faster >.>

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
im confident that multi hit moves count as separate moves, and therefore refresh separately.

as for shining a missed tech, are you sure its because of the decayed shine? i always thought it was a property of using the move on someone laying on the ground.

Pi

Smash Hero
I think it takes 9 other moves to entirely refresh an entirely decayed move.
Might be 12 though...(thinking about the chain jacket thing)

Lovage

Smash Hero
im confident that multi hit moves count as separate moves, and therefore refresh separately.

as for shining a missed tech, are you sure its because of the decayed shine? i always thought it was a property of using the move on someone laying on the ground.
yes the shine pops them up because its decayed
try comboing with falco without using shine, then shine a missed tech and it won't make them pop up

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Yeah, but he like teleports after two hits. It's weird. And still gets hit even when he's on the ground. It's just weird.

Pi

Smash Hero
Q: Can you grab people out of a missed tech bounce?

Q: At what point of the missed tech does your command get read?

Frame data would be appreciated but any insight would also.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
Hey I know the conversation is still going on about Falco's upair / staling moves

but I have a question:

How much of an advantage do you gain (if any) from recording matches and then watching it later and analyzing your gameplay?
I've never had any of my matches recorded so I've never been able to look back at matches and realize my mistakes.

I wish I had AR. I would be able to answer so many questions in this thread. -_-

Pi

Smash Hero
Hey I know the conversation is still going on about Falco's upair / staling moves

but I have a question:

How much of an advantage do you gain (if any) from recording matches and then watching it later and analyzing your gameplay?
I've never had any of my matches recorded so I've never been able to look back at matches and realize my mistakes.

I wish I had AR. I would be able to answer so many questions in this thread. -_-
I've only had a few, and it's amazingly helpful. You get to see when exactly you were getting punished, what you could have done different, and even if you already knew a lot of stuff it acts as a great reminder.

Also, yes, I want AR, I'm thinking of asking for it for Christmas but ****'s like 100$ now.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
kniht at your first question, yes you can grab people out of their bounce.

SWolFen

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I have a question. Wheres a good place to buy GC controllers and another copy of melee? Is there a difference between Official GC controllers vs. the GC Compatible ones?

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
does wavedashing backwards on a platform and holding your shield up so you fall off the platform (tumble) and then have the option tech have a name? i was doing it in friendlies cuz i think it's funny lol. it's worthless but fun ;)

Lovage

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I have a question. Wheres a good place to buy GC controllers and another copy of melee? Is there a difference between Official GC controllers vs. the GC Compatible ones?

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&langId=-1&currency=USD&ignoreCrumbs=N&crumb1=&crumb1Ignore=&crumb2=%253CA%2BHREF%253D%2522javascript%253APassOn%2528%2527X%2527%252C%2B%2527ChooseView%2527%252C%2527%2527%252C%2B%2527%2527%2529%253B%2522%253ENintendo%2BGameCube%253C%252FA%253E&crumb2Ignore=&crumb3=%253CA%2BHREF%253D%2522javascript%253APassOn%2528%2527C%2527%252C%2B%2527CategoryDisplay%2527%252C%252744009%2527%252C%2B%2527N%2527%2529%253B%2522%253EParts%2B%2526%2BAccessories%253C%252FA%253E&crumb3Ignore=&translateFrom=%C3%88%C3%89%C3%87&translateTo=EEC&usrSearchText=&searchText=&selSrchType=&page=&view=&productId=64062&categoryId=44009&lastAction=ProductDisplay&orderTotal=null&tranId=0&jktranid=&rpComment=&dropOff=

you can also buy the pearl white ones from japan that have the long *** cord.
for melee you can find a copy anywhere. ebay, craigslist, amazon, a local yard sale, the kid down the road, whatever
does wavedashing backwards on a platform and holding your shield up so you fall off the platform (tumble) and then have the option tech have a name? i was doing it in friendlies cuz i think it's funny lol. it's worthless but fun ;)
lol
this trick doesn't have a name but it's cool
i guess it could be used as a way to use get-up attack without getting hit.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I was joking. It was quoted from my friend, who...is heartless and selfish. I sad to him, yeah, Nesn00b's death is making everyone only use that topic, lol. And he replied with that.
Even if it was a joke--it's not funny. I didn't know him, but I know other smashers aren't doing too well with his passing. Don't mean to be a killjoy or whatever, it's just that this is serious.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
finding melee shouldn't be hard, just check your local gamestop or w/e. but for controllers you probably won't find new ones anymore, unless you go online to like playasia.com or something. (for the white wii edition ones)

X1-12

Smash Champion
What do you do if you're near the edge on high % and outside the other player? especially on yoshi story and Pokefloats where in some places the blastzone can be really small at the sides I used to allways roll but got punished unbeleiveably badly by my jiggs-playing friend ¬.¬

I have most trouble as falco, and now i nearly allways try to jump over them or laser but it seems risky any better ideas? i heard i should dash-dance then come at them when they're not expecting it but i allways get pressured on the edges and end up running into their attack range.. help please?

Tamoo

Smash Master
considering im your jiggs playing friend, might as well help you out :laugh:

Yeah the roll doesn't work against jiggs if im expecting it, as falco, if you're really under pressure, and just want to get back to centre stage, i'd just full hop to the top platform and take it from there. That's if your playing safe.
If you cba with a safe method, u might be alright just shffling a nair into shine right at the opponent and then jumping out.
But as a naturally safe player, I'd take the high road. Jiggs especially is too slow to punish you for jumping up unless she's spamming fair just above your head (which i do a lot lol)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Sweet very sweet. How important is movement overall? when i play as falcon I focus more on movement than anything esle I do combo but I feel it's more important to be flexible with your movement like I dd fast in spot, loose dd, wd back or forward jump up waveland and stuff and keep moveing rarly I moonwalk in the middle of it.

But yeah is movement really important I like to the point where i mostly dd and junk?

cykofox

Smash Ace
Sweet very sweet. How important is movement overall? when i play as falcon I focus more on movement than anything esle I do combo but I feel it's more important to be flexible with your movement like I dd fast in spot, loose dd, wd back or forward jump up waveland and stuff and keep moveing rarly I moonwalk in the middle of it.

But yeah is movement really important I like to the point where i mostly dd and junk?
movement i believe is one of the most important aspects of smash. fluidity as some might call it allows you follow up faster, and more precisely.

Top Bottom