• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

greenblob

Smash Lord
Anyone ever "teeter cancel" (I don't know what it's called, I don't think it's edge-canceling because that's when you slide off, right?)? Run to an edge (doesn't have to have a ledge) and stop right before you fall off. You should go into the teeter animation, which cancels your dash. You can do any standing attack from there. Or you can land on an edge without sliding off and do any standing attack. One thing I do often is dash to the edge and edgeguard with fsmash or dsmash. It's not a great tactic (they can sweet-spot), but no one ever expects a smash out of a dash so it can catch them off guard when they don't think they need to bother sweet-spotting. Or you can use it to extend your combos. For example, you can utilt out of a dash with this, and I abuse it with Marth on Battlefield's platforms.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I use it for turning around in my dash sometimes.

The teeter animation cancels the turnaround animation, so you can bolt in the other direction pretty quickly, which throws off some people.

Vro

Smash Lord
You can pivot when you meet the edge of a platform or the edge of the stage. And since you can basically do anything out of a pivot, you can do anything when you "teeter cancel."

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Not really a serious question. But I'm wondering just how do people figure out glitches like The Black Hole Glitch and the Master Hand Glitch. :urg:

wool

Smash Ace
I am so embarrassed to ask this I put it in a spoiler:

I know you can usmash OoS by hitting up with the control stick and up with the cstick. Can you dsmash OoS then too (by jump canceling shield then cstick down)?

Vro

Smash Lord
The short answer is no.

You can cancel the initial frames of jump with grab or upsmash (I think I'm forgetting something else, shield?). So since you can jump out of your shield, you can cancel that jump into an upsmash. Other techniques like shine out of shield work because it'd be the same as doing an aerial out of shield.

Be aware of all you OoS options! Wavedash out of shield is almost always the safest option, imo.

greenblob

Smash Lord
You don't even have to pivot, nor do you have to cancel the turnaround animation. Teetering cancels everything, so you can just cancel your dash.

wool

Smash Ace
The short answer is no.

You can cancel the initial frames of jump with grab or upsmash (I think I'm forgetting something else, shield?). So since you can jump out of your shield, you can cancel that jump into an upsmash. Other techniques like shine out of shield work because it'd be the same as doing an aerial out of shield.

Be aware of all you OoS options! Wavedash out of shield is almost always the safest option, imo.
OK so OoS you can grab, usmash, jump and do an aerial, or WD.
When you jump and do a shine, does that mean your shine is actually in mid air (so if you jump cancel the shine then you will double jump)? (what I am asking is if the shine is on the ground or in mid air, just to clarify).

Thanks.

Lovage

Smash Hero
QUESTION

can certain moves extend your hitbox into the blastzone and kill you? can other moves extend your hitbox the other way and save your life? if you were knocked off the stage at high percent and you're about to die but you leave hitstun just before the blastzone, could a move save/end your life?

ex: marth gets fsmashed by falco at high percent, and leaves hitstun just before passing the blastzone, but still carries enough momentum so that he will die. if the marth fairs could it possibly save his life? would a bair instantly kill him because his sword (probably the hilt) passes the blastzone?

X1-12

Smash Champion
Does anyone know how many frames it takes to crouch? and how many to come out of crouching?

and also whether it takes longer to jump from crouching?

WakingTheFallen

Smash Cadet
can someone tell me why rainbow cruise is a legal stage in a lot of tournaments?
it seems to be really campy and boring. like i would never want to play there nor watch the match on youtube or something.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Just because it's campy and boring doesn't mean it can't be legal.

L__

Smash Master
QUESTION

can certain moves extend your hitbox into the blastzone and kill you? can other moves extend your hitbox the other way and save your life? if you were knocked off the stage at high percent and you're about to die but you leave hitstun just before the blastzone, could a move save/end your life?

ex: marth gets fsmashed by falco at high percent, and leaves hitstun just before passing the blastzone, but still carries enough momentum so that he will die. if the marth fairs could it possibly save his life? would a bair instantly kill him because his sword (probably the hilt) passes the blastzone?
Special Summon:
magus420

I'm almost 100% sure that the extended hitboxes that are generated by aerials cannot move you that far and kill you by performing said attack

I'm interested in the answer for this too :ohwell:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
QUESTION

Tbh, I don't know for sure but I think this is correct. It most likely isn't worth worrying about with the vast majority of the cast, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few characters had an aerial that could make a small difference.

Dying off the side is so strange. A lot of times as Ganon when I'm hit offstage (still have my jump) and I know that it's going to be really close as to whether or not I'm going to die immediately, I have to make a choice. If I dj, I gain height but that doesn't stop the outward momentum as well as Wizard's Foot... but am I high enough to WF and make it back without the added height of the jump? Sometimes I when I WF without the jump I just know I would have died had I jumped. Anyway, that is an interesting point you brought up.

Lovage

Smash Hero
obviously this knowledge would only benefit some characters in a tiny way, but who cares, if you don't embrace new stuff you get left behind.

in my head it makes sense, if a kirby is knocked off by peach's fair or something and DI's to the border of the blastzone, wouldn't a non-disjointed attack like bair push him thru the border and kill him? while a move like fair would save him because his body (and hitbox) moves around.

IF ONLY MAGUS MAGUS420 WERE HERE TO SAVE THE DAY

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
can someone tell me why rainbow cruise is a legal stage in a lot of tournaments?
it seems to be really campy and boring. like i would never want to play there nor watch the match on youtube or something.
There is nothing bannable about the stage. And its really fun to jump around the boat and platforms :D

I'm really sad you won't even watch THIS match, because its mango and SS and 100% awesome.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Why isn't DK64 a neutral stage? I feel like it should replace Fountain of Dreams <.<;; Then again I'm really biased. DK64 is my favorite stage, I always counterpick it no matter what the matchup is. Yes, I realize that's a very stupid move on my part :p

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I don't know some answer that with this.

when you jab duck how many frames of lag does it remove? does it cut the lag in half or what?

WakingTheFallen

Smash Cadet
Why isn't DK64 a neutral stage? I feel like it should replace Fountain of Dreams <.<;; Then again I'm really biased. DK64 is my favorite stage, I always counterpick it no matter what the matchup is. Yes, I realize that's a very stupid move on my part :p
i'm pretty sure the reason is because it can be really campy and unfair to some characters. like i remember seeing a peach vid where the peach just jumped from those top two platforms and kept throw turnips down, and the ganon that the peach was playing against couldn't do anything.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Maybe I'm merely naive, but I feel like it's not as hard as people make it out to be. But yeah, I guess I could see that.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
DK64 is the most campy stage. Its more campy than corneria or pokefloats

Its still legal cause when you stop camping or when the matchup cant be camped in, the stage works pretty much like a neutral (plus janky edges, tallest ceiling and barrel that saves people)

WakingTheFallen

Smash Cadet
why is rainbow cruise still legal though?
it is obviously very campy, but when they stop camping it definitely isn't a neutral. there are a couple of spots where fox can trap someone in an infinite against a wall (and though it won't last long because the stage moves, it can still rack up free percent).

Smash Ace
I don't know some answer that with this.

when you jab duck how many frames of lag does it remove? does it cut the lag in half or what?
Depends on the character, but it's normally nowhere near that good. Look up SAF or IASA (I think that the terms are synonymous; most people use IASA) in SDM's Frame Data.

A more in-depth explanation: you can cancel many moves a few frames early by inputting another command. Trying to do another A move will just make you do the second jab animation, so you duck (to cancel the jab) then use another move on the next frame. Notice that ducking is completely unnecessary if you want to do something other than an A move (or a grab), like dashing or jumping. In particular, I find that jab->dash->immediate JC grab is often more useful than jab->crouch->grab if your opponent knows how to SDI, although it takes just a tad too long to be reliable.

Some moves cannot be interrupted by shielding, such as Marth's (and Roy's) dtilt. This is very noticeable, since they have the best IASA frames by far of any move that I know. I would bet that some jabs cannot be cancelled with a shield too, which is a shame because I find jab->shield->grab to be easier than jab->crouch->grab.

EDIT: Looking at SDM's data, only IC's have a ton of IASA frames on jab (they can cancel on frame 16 out of 29). Link and Roy are the next best, and they can only cancel 4 frames early, and Roy's jab is still really laggy.

PS: Mewtwo and Zelda have horrible jabs! What the hell, Sakurai? The first hit comes out on frame 8 and 11, respectively. ELEVEN! That's slower than Marth's fsmash.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
why is rainbow cruise still legal though?
it is obviously very campy, but when they stop camping it definitely isn't a neutral. there are a couple of spots where fox can trap someone in an infinite against a wall (and though it won't last long because the stage moves, it can still rack up free percent).
cruise is actually an anti-camp stage. The stage moves which forces the players to move. Because of the circular movement, you end up forced to conflict with each other at the corners. Its very balanced though, because there are always 2 paths when going around the stage.

if every tournament was only RC i would be a happy camper.

Smash Ace
I found a variation on the IC Freeze Glitch recently. If Ganondorf catches Nana in his up-b and Popo uses side-b right as the grab connects, Ganondorf and Nana freeze. The hitbox stays out, so if Popo gets too close to Ganondorf he gets hit (not grabbed, of course). This happened in version 1.2, where the standard freeze glitch is fixed. I think that Nana was close enough that she would have joined Popo for the side b, but I'm not sure.

So, is this well known?

chaindude

Smash Journeyman
recently my samus friend has been catching me with U-b out of sheild when i mess up my spacing and I've seen some people pop out of it really early which way do I DI to do this? eating 3% instead of like 15 sounds nice =D -thanks in advance

Top Bottom