• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

joeplicate

Smash Master
i think c-stick out prioritizes control stick on smash DI
which is why you can get sick DIs with towards on c-stick and survival angle on control stick

not sure what happens when you add quarter circles on the control stick and all that

Lovage

Smash Hero
Magus420 said:
By using both, you can trajectory DI one way using the control stick, while overriding the ASDI you'd normally get with that direction on the control with a different ASDI you want instead by using the c-stick for it.
COOL

so perfect DI is smash DIing two favorable inputs back and forth on every frame of hitlag, and on the last frame before hitlag ends, holding the control stick for the best survival DI, while having the c-stick set towards the stage before the first frame after hit lag

wool

Smash Ace
I got a question. To powershield projectiles I know you have to fully shield (press L/R fully down) at the time when a part of the projectile is inside the shield bubble you make by pressing L/R fully down. Since you can angle the shield, would it be easier to powershield projectiles if you angle your shield forward? Also I was wondering which characters are "good" at powershielding (good meaning easier to powershield with). thanks :)

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I dont think there is such a thing as 'good at powershielding' i think its all timing, not character dependent.

Vro

Smash Lord
Have two controllers plugged in, one falco and another space animal. Set the space animals to always hold down (hold up and x,y,start) and b (rubberband? lol) and SHL from the other side of the stage.

Someone suggested this on the boards before, but I personally haven't tried it yet. I'm going to try it right now.

edit: with some crafty rubberband action, I found out it was pretty effective.

edit 2: after three power shields in a row, the laser runs out. so long to high scores...

wool

Smash Ace
I dont think there is such a thing as 'good at powershielding' i think its all timing, not character dependent.
So no matter how big your shield is irrelevant?
I always thought that the bigger your shield is (and the more space inbetween your char and the end of it) the easier it is to do it.
Like for me Zelda is easiest to powershield. But I guess I could be just psyching myself.

Have two controllers plugged in, one falco and another space animal. Set the space animals to always hold down (hold up and x,y,start) and b (rubberband? lol) and SHL from the other side of the stage.

Someone suggested this on the boards before, but I personally haven't tried it yet. I'm going to try it right now.

edit: with some crafty rubberband action, I found out it was pretty effective.

edit 2: after three power shields in a row, the laser runs out. so long to high scores...
Sorry i didn't really get this. Why 2 space animals? And you're supposed to hold up, x, y, and start?

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
So no matter how big your shield is irrelevant?
I always thought that the bigger your shield is (and the more space inbetween your char and the end of it) the easier it is to do it.
Like for me Zelda is easiest to powershield. But I guess I could be just psyching myself.
It is easier to powershield with certain characters like Marth and Zelda, who are relatively thin in their shields, than others that don't have shields covering empty space in front of them.

Sorry i didn't really get this. Why 2 space animals? And you're supposed to hold up, x, y, and start?
2 space animals so you can powershield your reflected lasers. Holding x+y+start resets the default position of the control stick. If you hold up on the control stick while you do this, the default position will be up instead of the neutral position, and the neutral position will be interpreted as down. This way, you can have a Fox or Falco sit in their shine indefinitely so you can shoot lasers at them.

Well, actually you don't need to have the Fox or Falco holding down, it just needs to hold B. You only need to hold down to start the shine, because holding B alone is good enough for keeping the shine up.

L__

Smash Master
^ at everyone

correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to put up your shield 4 frames before the attack hits you

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
did you know that you can quit a match by pressing l r a then start twice in a row instead of start l r a start for a faster awesomer rage quit?

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
i don't think u can!

protip: the pause screen has become slower and slower in each smash game
well I just did...

I'll try a few more times...

Edit - yep, definetly works, and you can switch it up by doing stuff like l r start a start too...

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
Is there any way to use your shield / hold it up as you're in lag and know there is a chance your opponent might punish you in time but want that shield up asap by holding it down WITHOUT screwing up your techs from holding the L Button?

Big problem of mine is I do that. Please tell me there's another way to have shield spammed like that without ruining techs? :(

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Is there any way to use your shield / hold it up as you're in lag and know there is a chance your opponent might punish you in time but want that shield up asap by holding it down WITHOUT screwing up your techs from holding the L Button?

Big problem of mine is I do that. Please tell me there's another way to have shield spammed like that without ruining techs? :(
I don't quite understand what you're saying, but if you want your shield up as soon as possible after a aerial you L cancel and hold L or R.

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
Not L-Canceling .... teching lol.

Let's say I try to stomp someone with Falcon and they dash dance and I miss. I'm like ,"Oh crap...i'm in slight amounts of lag and they might punish me....maaaybe if I can shield it in time...since it looks real close wether I can or can't...I won't take damage"

You hold your shield button up while you're in landing lag hoping that as soon as Falcon is done doing the L-Canceled animation or non-L-Canceled...(irrelevant) that your shield will pop up on the first allowable frame giving you maximum chance to block the attack...

He just barely squeezes the attack in though while you're in lag and because you were holding your shield up...if he knocks you 10 feet back and you hit the ground....you cannot tech anymore since you were holding the L-Button and the game registers it as you were trying to tech (when you were really trying to just shield the attack from a second ago) and will not allow you to tech your fall.

Is there a way to get your cake and eat it too? To be able to easily get your shield up at the very first frame but without ruining your techs if you get hit and get launched a slight distance away while the game considers you to be in recoil from missing a tech you didn't go for in the first place?

Smash Master
Why don't sex kicks phantom more often? It seems like there will sometimes be a frame in which the hitbox moving into the hurtbox causes the two to overlap.

Vro

Smash Lord
Holding the trigger buffers shield, so the easiest way to put up your shield asap is by holding the trigger. Trigger release does not count towards the tech window. So, if you were holding shield but got hit, just let go and tech at the appropriate time. You're over-complicating something that is very easy. If you are getting hit it's because you are in lag.

Overlap and tangent are not the same. Hit and hurt boxes don't always connect pixel perfect.

bolt.

Smash Ace
I was waveshining ganon across fd then when I went to grab him I got him but he fell away instantly and it gave me the release animation. The weird part is it never actually showed ganon in fox's hand. Ganon was at 140%. Does anyone have an explanation as to what happened other than the game glitched?

Vro

Smash Lord
The game didn't glitch. Instant grab break, while not regularly seen, is common knowledge. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I'd assume it be something like both people grabbed at the same time (doesn't player port resolve this?) or the opponent hit the number of necessary inputs faster than the duration of the grab animation.

Edit: Hitstun doesn't stop button inputs, so it doesn't matter if you "truly" combo. Instant grab break is quite unique, but certainly not an impossible occurrence.

bolt.

Smash Ace
It actually just happened again, lol. I dunno, he shouldn't be able to do that if I'm waveshining him into grab. It is prolly some crazy cpu crap, like always powershielding and never having the shield show when they do it.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
it probably has to do with you grabbing ganon while he is near the edge of your grab range and the momentum from the shine puts him out of range and the grab breaks.

D

Deleted member

I was just wondering how to AutoSmash DI. I've recently learned about buffering and I now want to learn AutoSmash DI (and Regular Smash DI)

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Hey, I'm just wondering why sometimes when I hit my opponent, he takes knockback, but he never goes into hitstun; he stays in his neutral position, free to attack (I'm pretty sure). It's happened with Falco's reflector, Mewtwo's dash attack, and Roy's Blazer, IIRC.

Anyone know what's happening?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Hey, I'm just wondering why sometimes when I hit my opponent, he takes knockback, but he never goes into hitstun; he stays in his neutral position, free to attack (I'm pretty sure). It's happened with Falco's reflector, Mewtwo's dash attack, and Roy's Blazer, IIRC.

Anyone know what's happening?
This usually occurs when an attack deals <7% and when the opponent is laying down, as in missing a tech.

Falco's reflector decays after a bit, so it starts giving that effect.

I was just wondering how to AutoSmash DI. I've recently learned about buffering and I now want to learn AutoSmash DI (and Regular Smash DI)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=60218

Doraki is amazing.

Is there a way to get your cake and eat it too? To be able to easily get your shield up at the very first frame but without ruining your techs if you get hit and get launched a slight distance away while the game considers you to be in recoil from missing a tech you didn't go for in the first place?
You can hold Z during your L-cancel to buffer a lightshield.

However, as Falcon, you're much better off protecting yourself by dashing away or jabbing after the dair.

Anyways, does anyone agree with this recovery tier list?

I certainly don't, Kirby's recovery blows.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=1514499&postcount=1

I demand a recount.

Rappster

Smash Ace
has there ever been, or will there ever be a doubles tier list?

perhaps organized into multiple sections?
i'm not sure what i mean

Lovage

Smash Hero
LOVAGES DOUBLES TIER LIST

really good in doubles:
fox

also good in doubles:
peach
puff

everyone else:
everyone else

Lovage

Smash Hero
QUESTION

can you phantom hit someone that is invincible? like they wouldn't take any percent, but would still be able to smash DI the hitstun that was supposed to happen (you can SDI phantom hits)

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Erm...can you even SDI when you are hit normally when you're invincible?

Vro

Smash Lord
No histun or knockback are suffered when invincible, so there's nothing to DI. And since phantom hits innately cause 0 knockback, there's nothing to DI.

Wait, Lovage. You can SDI phantom hits?

Lovage

Smash Hero
yes you can SDI/ASDI phantom hits the same as regular hits (credit to magus)

that's half the reason phantom hits are so noticeable when they happen mid-game, because most people throw in a few SDI inputs during the phantom hit (usually for DIing the hit they thought they were going to receive)

Top Bottom