• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Lovage

Smash Hero
u can buffer rolls and sidesteps by pressing shield and a c-stick direction

u can also buffer full jumps with shield and c-stick up

Lovage

Smash Hero
QUESTION

i've always been under the impression that using c-stick for smashes is a minimum 1 frame faster than using direction+a, is this true

L__

Smash Master
QUESTION

i've always been under the impression that using c-stick for smashes is a minimum 1 frame faster than using direction+a, is this true
I would assume so because when you generally use direction + a ... you almost always charge up your smash, even by a little...

Then again I could be completely wrong and most people can do it so fast nowadays it doesn't matter

:ohwell:

keeper

Smash Champion
QUESTION

Do you find the c-stick uncomfortable? I mean, I understand wanting to know (I'm not sure either, I've heard the same thing before), but I find using the c-stick more comfortable anyway.

Tamoo

Smash Master
QUESTION

There is a frame from which the smash starts charging, I believe for most smashes it is around the 5 frame mark.
As long as you let go before that, the smash will not charge, and hence will be just as quick as charging a smash

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
There is a frame from which the smash starts charging, I believe for most smashes it is around the 5 frame mark.
As long as you let go before that, the smash will not charge, and hence will be just as quick as charging a smash
I'll just point out (correct me if I'm wrong) that since most jumps are 4-5 frames, in order to not charge a smash you need to let go of A roughly as quickly as you let go of X or Y when you shorthop. Just as a reference.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I'll just point out (correct me if I'm wrong) that since most jumps are 4-5 frames, in order to not charge a smash you need to let go of A roughly as quickly as you let go of X or Y when you shorthop. Just as a reference.
in general, you don't need to be quite that fast. Most smashes charge in the 5-9 range.

short hop timing is 2 frames before first airborne frame, so for fast jumpers like fox (airborne on frame 4), you only have 2 frames to let go of A, whereas most smashes charge later around 5-9(though the faster ones are comparable, fox/falco's usmash charge on frame 2 for reference). Most dmsashes charge in this fast range actually, while most non-Fox/Falco usmashes and fsmashes charge later.

JustdaTIP

Smash Rookie
Not quite sure if this is the right place, but I have a question about DI. I'm not a total noob when it comes to DI; I've been trying out basic "advanced tactics" for several months now and my game play has gotten a lot better. One thing I still can't get right for the life of me is how to DI away from Sheik. Whenever I play fox against my friends Sheik he grabs about 90% of the time, and it's really, really frustrating to sit there and watch Fox get batted around. He almost always grabs, throws down followed by an up smash, and then he does your typical Sheik juggling. I can't for the life of me get away. I've tried hold the directional stick to the left, right, up, down and anything I can think of. Am I supposed to apply a new DI for every time he hits me? Obviously there has to be something I can do to stop it. Any help or advice is much appreciated, thanks!

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Di away the throw he cant upsmash you, but then he can ftilt you, so you need to di up and twoards him.

JustdaTIP

Smash Rookie
Di away the throw he cant upsmash you, but then he can ftilt you, so you need to di up and twoards him.
So you're saying I need to hold the control stick up and towards him? So lets say he's to the left of me when he grabs me. I should hold upleft correct? When do I apply the DI in that direction? Should I try to time it at the moment of release(when he throws me)? Or should I have the control stick already upleft before he throws me, or do I apply the DI after he releases me? I guess when to apply the DI is my question.

Lovage

Smash Hero
for sheik's throws, you want to DI away, not up and towards or something like that. if she grabs you facing to the right, just DI completely right and then tech when you hit the ground. you could also DI completely left and tech, when she down throws you have a bunch of options, all of which she can deal with by tech chasing, but make your decision and hope they don't grab you again

and for any DI situation, you want to have your DI set BEFORE the hitlag ends, technically you can press and hold that direction on the last frame of hitlag, but in the case of sheik's down throw, once you get grabbed you want to hold the direction you want to DI (usually fully left or right) and hold it until after you're thrown.

JustdaTIP

Smash Rookie
for sheik's throws, you want to DI away, not up and towards or something like that. if she grabs you facing to the right, just DI completely right and then tech when you hit the ground. you could also DI completely left and tech, when she down throws you have a bunch of options, all of which she can deal with by tech chasing, but make your decision and hope they don't grab you again

and for any DI situation, you want to have your DI set BEFORE the hitlag ends, technically you can press and hold that direction on the last frame of hitlag, but in the case of sheik's down throw, once you get grabbed you want to hold the direction you want to DI (usually fully left or right) and hold it until after you're thrown.
Ok I'll try holding right/left we just played a few matches and he had a few 0-90+ combos, so the up and towards DI definitely didn't work. Thanks for helping a noob out.

Lovage

Smash Hero
it's pretty easy to get out of grab combos against noobie sheiks, once you're grabbed, choose a direction to DI (left or right), choose a direction to tech (left, right, in place, or choose not to tech,) and then shield/jump/wavedash back to get back into a neutral position

keeper

Smash Champion
you hold up and twoards when you think you're going to be faired.
With this, you need to know what percent this is possible for the Sheik too. This is directed at the guy that asked the initial question, just thought I'd add it as a silly little tip.

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
Is there any existing guides out there on how to modify your Gamecube controller? I want to mod the Z Button to be the Y Button...I'm only using this at home since I don't go to tourneys. Any guides out there for that anywhere on the internet?

The only guide I found on the internet was how to ADD another button to your Gamecube controller but all I simply want to do is swap one around.

keeper

Smash Champion
Is there any existing guides out there on how to modify your Gamecube controller? I want to mod the Z Button to be the Y Button...I'm only using this at home since I don't go to tourneys. Any guides out there for that anywhere on the internet?

The only guide I found on the internet was how to ADD another button to your Gamecube controller but all I simply want to do is swap one around.
You mean like, change the input?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
yeah, they do sometimes. I remember a CPU Game and Watch ledgeteching my Fsmash when I was Mario on FD once. but it usually happens every once in a while, no biggie.

Smash Ace
CA5H: Yes. The AI works by simulating button inputs, presumably to make sure that it doesn't cheat and do something that's impossible for some subtle reason, eg shielding very briefly and teching 1/2 a second later.*

Why does this matter? It means that sometimes, even for computers, button inputs can have accidental consequences the AI didn't foresee. I've seen wavedashes and an absolutely amazing shinespike (complete with a jump cancel) due to this.

The computer might actually be programmed to do this intentionally. It's been a while since I've played a level 9.

*If you're wondering why this is impossible: You cannot tech for a short period of time after pressing L/R, so the shielding would have made it so he couldn't tech.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
Is it true that if you are holding right when someone tap resets you you will get up with a roll to the right instead of standing up?

I know I heard that somewhere before...

HiIH

Smash Lord
Ugh, I need a new controller. Anyone got any suggestions for where to find one? The cheapest one I can find is like 30 bucks on Ebay.

EDIT-When you're tap resetted while laying down, you will roll if you're holding a direction

Spife

Smash Master
Does the wind on Dreamland effect your tech at all? Like if you tech into the wind do you tech slower or not as far? When you're standing up out of any tech, is the wind pushing you or are you invincible to the wind?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Indeed this is true. At lower percentages you will just stand up.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
A few Q's how come at any percent the ice climbers can use a random move and both hits hit even at 999% but pichu's jab which has less knockback and is faster(6 frames between the ice climbers which is a lot of time to sdi out when you think about it) and pichu can't get 2 hits and I think falco/fox can jc shine and land 2 shines before they die yes I know foxes is set but still why for pichu/pikachu?

Different people have different amounts of stun time like pichu,kirby,pikachu all have a lot shun time, does this affect how much time you are in a grab if they are being pummeled by someone esle?

move A has a lot of stun. move B has very little. if you are hit by a move that has the stun of 11 frames when you are in a grab and are then hit by a move with 4 frames of stun will the numbers be added together or will you only have 4 frames of stun ?

pockyD

Smash Legend
i'm fairly certain that only the most recent hit's hitstun is evaluated as opposed to adding them

also, with the ice climbers, the 6 frames is between start times; if popo's hit creates 6 frames of hitstun, there will be no time for the target to act out of it, except for DI

although i'm not sure i agree with your assertion that both hits will always land (i don't see why the target can't SDI out)

Lovage

Smash Hero
QUESTION

so if ASDI occurs on the first frame after hitlag, is it possible to ASDI one direction, while survival DIing a different direction? one might say that you can ASDI with c-stick and survival DI with the control stick, but as far as i know the control stick overrides the c-stick in terms of smash DI.

so is there a method to use ASDI (1 frame of smash DI towards the stage) while survival DIing?

RockCrock

Smash Champion
Yes, you can ASDI in one direction and survival DI in a different direction on the same frame. Just hold each stick in a different direction.

For example: Up+left on joystick for survival DI, and down+left on c-stick for ASDI.

Top Bottom