• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I argee like I just can't approach with falco as comfortable as with falcon, fox, or pichu. They have amazing movement but don't have amazing approach like falco. I focus a lot on movement though. Hey how do you do that thing when you hang on the edge and walljump off really fast and do an attack and how do you you do the Pc backwards edge grab thing? I have a sexy idea to edge with it.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Me by far it's just I focus a lot on it as falcon and pichu also I use it to understand them a bit more. but how do you do the pc chris edgehog thing if it can be done with everyone I have an amzing idea on how to use it and the drop wall jump air attack I did it but I don't know how.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
ICG you just walk and then tap the other direction right before the edge. your character will still have some momentum and turn around then fall if. try with luigi you'll see it's really easy with him.

as for the instant wall jump i can only do it with fox consistantly so i'm not gonna try to explain it cuz i'll probably explain it wrong lol.

Pi

Smash Hero
Doraki's Instant Wall Jump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNFvMRnmK3I

See the link in the video description.

I rationalized it to you have to be in 'walljump position' at the time you grab the ledge
IE, have the ability to jump from the ledge/wall that you are grabbing, at the time of grabbing, either from jumping into it and grabbing it at your peak, or side Bing into it when you are close enough to grab it.

Lots, if not all characters, can do this on fourside (granted they can walljump)

does ICG stand for I Can Guess? or something else?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
No ICG is like this IC=ice climbers then they had a G which looks like a mix of the two and is a retart baby I mean look at that extra - on the C WTF no inbreeding please.

I did the wall jump thing by mistake as falcon on dreamland64 and the dair landed inn a spot I sometimes see ox charging his up-B and I may let me get farther out on edge gaurding. The PC thing can be done with anyone right? I heard falco is the best.

Tamoo

Smash Master
haha yeah, my initial guess would be that he was in the air slightly? Rather than on the ground, I take it marth falls when shined in the air. Even slightly in the air, as if attemting to wavedash or sumthing :confused: Maybe even something percent dependant.
But im no expert on ntsc mechanics

Pi

Smash Hero
Questions:

1. At what point in a missed tech does your button command get read, if left alone?
  2. When do you need to input DI for it to affect throws?

Spife

Smash Master
(Not ignore knihT, I just don't know the answers to your questions)
I figured here would be a better place to ask then make a new thread, or god forbid use the search function!
But what constitutes illegal controller mods? I would like to remove the spring from my L-button, though I doubt a TO would check much less care, but does that constitute? If not, what DOES?

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Questions:

1. At what point in a missed tech does your button command get read, if left alone?
  2. When do you need to input DI for it to affect throws?
1) I have no idea what this is asking. The wording is a bit weird for me.
2) I'm not exactly sure but I'm assuming either the frame before your character goes airborne from the throw, or a frame before the throw motion (up, down, sideways) begins from being grabbed. ( and anything up until that point ).

I have a question of my own. I've been playing melee for a little over a year and still don't have a main. It's gotten to the point where I use basically 3 characters: Fox, Marth and Falcon, but it's hard for me to just pick one and stay with it.

The last tournament I went to was a really small one with just a few friends but I basically played all three depending on my matchup, and did fairly well.

I feel that if I keep doing this I won't really improve and that I'll have 3 characters that are "good" but not 1 character that's amazingly good.

Any advice?

Vro

Smash Lord
I've been playing melee for a little over a year and still don't have a main. It's gotten to the point where I use basically 3 characters: Fox, Marth and Falcon, but it's hard for me to just pick one and stay with it.
I do the same, but with Falco as my spacie. These 3 characters have interesting matchups that cover each other and are played pretty differently.

To be quite honest, I practice Falcon a lot simply because I enjoy him. He seems to be the hardest character of that trio, too. If you have great spacing and movement, Fox and Marth are going to be a breeze. Their higher placement in the tier list is something to consider over Falcon. I mean, even tho he's the best character in the game, I don't know how many occasions I just thought, "Falcon just has it awful. Why would you do this to him!?"

Unless you think you're restricted by not having a main, why bother having one? If you can thoroughly practice a handful of characters, do so at your leisure. I personally play Marth just for spacies. I have a great deal of practice in that matchup and have seen tournament use out of my Marth. Perfecting matchups is key!

TLDR; Play Fox cause he has a projectile/is #1

Pi

Smash Hero
I meant...after you miss the tech, say, on the ground, how soon after that would you be able to input a command.
Cause I hate accidentally get up attacking if I suddenly get sent into the ground. I'm juss wondering if it's right after the bounce, or when you return to the ground from the bounce...or something.

Question for people who know about fox;
On a marth, or any character you can't out right waveshine (but for this case use marth), is it necessary to waveshine, dash, then jump cancel an up smash to get it to land?

I would ask in fox place but i'm already asking other questions here and I know fox people frequent this thread.

Lovage

Smash Hero
2) I'm not exactly sure but I'm assuming either the frame before your character goes airborne from the throw, or a frame before the throw motion (up, down, sideways) begins from being grabbed. ( and anything up until that point ).

I have a question of my own. I've been playing melee for a little over a year and still don't have a main. It's gotten to the point where I use basically 3 characters: Fox, Marth and Falcon, but it's hard for me to just pick one and stay with it.

The last tournament I went to was a really small one with just a few friends but I basically played all three depending on my matchup, and did fairly well.

I feel that if I keep doing this I won't really improve and that I'll have 3 characters that are "good" but not 1 character that's amazingly good.

Any advice?
LOVAGE ADVICE

play fox

Magus420

Smash Master
Getup attacks buffer for up to 20 frames IIRC, so it'd be as early as 6/7ish of the bounce animation. It's pretty dumb. The other getups don't buffer. Double jumps out of some knockback animations also buffer for 20.

Pi

Smash Hero
Getup attacks buffer for up to 20 frames IIRC, so it'd be as early as 6/7ish of the bounce animation. It's pretty dumb. The other getups don't buffer. Double jumps out of some knockback animations also buffer for 20.
I see, thanks
that makes a ton of sense now =\

and when you say bounce animation, you mean right after the last point you can tech? which is like the frame you touch the ground iirc?

Magus420

Smash Master
Yeah, the bounce animation from the moment you touch the ground without teching until you can act out of it is 26, which is the same duration as a tech stand. So if you press an attack input on the 6th/7th landing frame or later (I don't remember which it is exactly) you'll do a getup attack once that bounce/no tech anim ends.

Pi

Smash Hero
Yeah, the bounce animation from the moment you touch the ground without teching until you can act out of it is 26, which is the same duration as a tech stand. So if you press an attack input on the 6th/7th landing frame or later (I don't remember which it is exactly) you'll do a getup attack once that bounce/no tech anim ends.
bleh. pretty dumb. thanks again.

and the dj buffering out of certain knockback attacks
is there any specifics on that? like certain %'s, trajectories, or juss certain attacks?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i found out about that DJ buffer last night on accident. I forget which move i got hit by, but i kinda had slow reaction and pressed jump after i got hit (trying to DJ over the hit) and ended up burning my jump after the hitstun was over. I was pretty pissed.

Magus420

Smash Master
The only ones I have noticed it not buffering on are the 'DamageFlyRoll' animation which you sometimes get with very powerful knockback, and 'DamageFlyTop' which is on the more vertical trajectories. I think it's like 65/70° above horizontal and higher.

Proverbs

Smash Lord

Any advice?
Proverbs advice: Play Falcon. You'll look really epic and manly and impress all your friends. No one's impressed by up-throw up-air. Remember that.

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
Im starting to implement L-cancels into my aerial play. I've heard that if you L-cancel aerials they cant be shield grabbed, but it seems like it doesnt work. It seems like im being grabbed before I even land.... or maybe im doing them wrong. Anyways is there something else i need to do with l canceling to avoid being grabbed?

Stev

Smash Ace
If you're being grabbed in the air, you're not fast falling. Also, l-canceling doesn't mean you can't get grabbed. It just reduces the lag upon landing in half. With some character's moves, you're able to throw out another attack before they can grab (like fox's or falco's dair or nair to shine).

Pi

Smash Hero
Basically all that you are doing is shortening the window in which you can be shield grabbed.
The factors you have to take into consideration are as follows:
When the last hit of your move hits your opponents shield
How strong that hit was
How fast you are going to hit the ground after performing the hit
How long it takes you to recover from the lag of the hit
And how long it is going to take them to perform the grab

For example:
You are fox, your opponent is, let's say, marth:

You run at Marth, use your Nair, this is what happens:
Your nair hits marth's shield

Marth is stuck in his shield for however many frames due to shield hit stun,
Once it runs out, marth can initiate the grab, and 7 frames later it will grab you, if you are near

You are stuck in the air, and in your nair, for however many frames
Once you hit the ground, assuming you L canceled, you have 7 frames of landing lag

So basically, if the time it takes marth to recover from shield hit stun, initiate the grab, and grab you is less than the time it takes for you to land from the move, L cancel it, and dodge/roll/shine, he grabs you.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Noob Question:

How does stage striking work?
basically it is a fair way to decide which stage will be played first. say there are 5 stages available, you will pick 1 stage to ban, then the other player will pick 2 stages to ban, then will pick another one to ban, this will leave one stage left and you will play your first match on it. after this you will counterpick stages depending on the outcome of the first match

rhan

Smash Hero
Thanks for clearing that up. I just see it posted everywhere but I haven't found a good explination of it.

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
Prolly depends on the tournament specific ruleset or the players agreement. Ive seen it done both ways.

Top Bottom