• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Marth's side-b doesn't clank, why would rest clank?

What other hitboxes do doesn't really matter. Hitboxes have a series of flags that determine various properties. Shine hitboxes are set to be able to interact with other hitboxes. Rest is not. Just like lasers do not interact with other hitboxes, but charged beam does.
so lasers and rest have...infinite priority per se?

Magus420

Smash Master
Yup. The hitboxes pass right through each other. For whatever reason they made 3-Down on his side-b able to clash with hitboxes though so if you manage to ever find yourself in mid DB with a projectile coming at you you can hit it with that =P

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Is it better to grab out of a cc with jump canceling or L/R + a? Because with the l/r method you can just mash A but would jump canceling it be faster?
I don't know the mechanics for how holding R + A is entered, but I know Z or a standard grab is at least as fast.

frame perfectly a standard grab is 1 frame faster than a jc grab because you have an extra input that isn't simultaneous.

potentially it could be slower if you enter the grab on a later frame of jump startup.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Usually
1st match: double blind character pick
then stage striking, first person picks one stage to strike, second person strikes two and first person strikes a final stage.
2nd match: both ban a stage
loser picks stage
winner picks character
loser picks character

and then just repeat the second match process

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Usually you grab a third person and have the players whisper their character picks to him. Or you can have each player write which character they'll pick on separate pieces of paper. Most players in a tournament setting don't bother with it though.

cjugs

Smash Ace
I've seen link players jab and then grab but is that only working because they are not trying to jump or get out of it? And when link jabs i have been hearing rumors that L+A is better/ easier than Z after jabing.

Vro

Smash Lord
Jabbing before a grab is a very common technique with all characters, altho I would not recommend it for tether characters. A quick jab may stop a slow attack or prevent your opponent from jumping, allowing for an easier grab. Jabs also have a tendency to "plant" your opponent to the ground, since most players will CC and shield the followup.

Unless you're Cunning, who when jabbed SDI's up and pops up like a helium balloon.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
I'm trying to get back into melee after taking a break and I was wondering if you guys could help me...

Since I haven't been playing, I've been a little rusty, as expected. And since Melee is sorta "new" to me again, I was wondering which char I should pick up. Give your thoughts and suggestions!

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I'm trying to get back into melee after taking a break and I was wondering if you guys could help me...

Since I haven't been playing, I've been a little rusty, as expected. And since Melee is sorta "new" to me again, I was wondering which char I should pick up. Give your thoughts and suggestions!
That's very much a personal decision. My suggestions would largely hinge on your personal goals and view of the game. Please address this and people would be able to help you much more.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
That's very much a personal decision. My suggestions would largely hinge on your personal goals and view of the game. Please address this and people would be able to help you much more.
Well, since I really don't go to tournies considering there aren't that much in MN, I just would like a char that's fun but not so bad that I can't win some games.

Vro

Smash Lord
From what I can tell, SS does it with A, A, Z (hold). You can usually tell someone did that by seeing their light shield briefly pop-up if not done perfectly. This is what I use.

You can do triple A with precise timing, from what I hear.

Having personally asked Darkrain he says, "A, Z, A, Z." That is not a typo. I said "what. 4?" And he said "Yup." He gentlemans to knees so fast too...

edit: Just a thought... You can buffer jump outta shield with the C-stick. Did you know you can short hop and aerial out of shield asap with just the C-stick?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well, since I really don't go to tournies considering there aren't that much in MN, I just would like a char that's fun but not so bad that I can't win some games.
Play doc. He has all the tools, but all his tools suck. Since there are no tournament level players, you should be fine using him no matter what character the other person plays.

cjugs

Smash Ace
Where do you go to see a all frame data for alot of characters. i need to see link's as in his jab and when i can do another move not his second jab.

Jimbo Slice

Smash Journeyman
Does the instant wall jump from the ledge serve any practical purposes? Cause I was screwing around and I actually got it for the most part but now I question it's usefulness.

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
The doraki wall jump that can only be used by like 3 characters?

If so, I don't think anyone uses it as a strong technique.. and I can't really think of a strong way to implement it really... It's an offstage option though, one that leaves you with your double jump intact. to help recover, even though you were already on the ledge to begin with :p

Also, surprise quick aerials to edgeguard people.

fox: doraki walljump > shine gimps ftw
Mario and pichu could use their quick aerials too.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Does the instant wall jump from the ledge serve any practical purposes? Cause I was screwing around and I actually got it for the most part but now I question it's usefulness.
Ive heard it has very very situational uses, nothing amazing. Idk which character you are using, but for most its better to grab ledge to get invincible and then just ledgehop waveland up.

Expecially for fox, falco.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Where do you go to see a all frame data for alot of characters. i need to see link's as in his jab and when i can do another move not his second jab.
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/superdoodleman/frames.html

its kinda cool with fox, you can also do it with falcon and falco, but iirc there's no known way of doing it 100% (there definately isn't for falco/falcon.) You can however do something similar where you lose your double jump just by hitting away then jump just after, it costs your double-jump this way though

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
You can do it 100% on certain stages with certain characters. The only one I really do it on is FD with Fox. You can consistently do it out of firefox, side B, or just dj to ledge. You can keep your Dj with all of these.

You can also let go of the ledge, quickly DI and touch the wall and wall jump that way without using your second jump. You have to be fast tho and thicker stages work better.

[These are for wall jumping for the ledge area, not that **** where you store your wall jump and activate it without a wall]

john!

Smash Hero
Unless you're Cunning, who when jabbed SDI's up and pops up like a helium balloon.
I lol'd.

edit: Just a thought... You can buffer jump outta shield with the C-stick. Did you know you can short hop and aerial out of shield asap with just the C-stick?
How do you do this? Armada has always baffled me by how fast he nairs OOS to escape shield pressure.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Its a jump button. Just release the cstick up in time to short hop. not too difficult to understand.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Is there anyway i can make my control stick firm again? It's starting to get kind of loose.

(it's silver, if it matters.)
I think you need a new one or get use to the one you got.

imo loose gives more control. try to get use to it.

last resort you can change your box of the control stick, but I hear results vary alot.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
My question is about normal DI for clarification.Lets say I get foward smashed by Marth.I am suppose to DI up and towards the stage or perpendicular.Doesn't up and toward the stage mean diagonal?Do I move the control stick as far up and left as I can or do I tilt it in that direction.

When I Di do I go perpendicular to my trajectory but from where my character is currently?So there is a trajectory when I get hit and I Di where my character actually is at a 90 degree angle right?

X1-12

Smash Champion
My question is about normal DI for clarification.Lets say I get foward smashed by Marth.I am suppose to DI up and towards the stage or perpendicular.Doesn't up and toward the stage mean diagonal?Do I move the control stick as far up and left as I can or do I tilt it in that direction.

When I Di do I go perpendicular to my trajectory but from where my character is currently?So there is a trajectory when I get hit and I Di where my character actually is at a 90 degree angle right?
Up and towards the stage pretty much IS perpendicular to the trajectory of marth's F-smash, which is the DI you want. You are getting hit diagonal up/left. perpendicular would be diagonal up/right

Top Bottom