• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Pi

Smash Hero
The reason is Falcon both has high weight and fall speed (like top 5 for both) and because of this he gets the most momentum which can be transferred into waveland. The fact there is such momentum with any character is because of the momentum they have
I've never heard of momentum carrying into wavelands of any sort...

X1-12

Smash Champion
Well magus posted on a similar subject about 2 posts later and didn't correct him.. If it was false I would have thought he'd point it out

Pi

Smash Hero
I don't know if falcon's waveland has any particular reason for being 'longer' than anyone elses comparative to their wavedash....but the reason most characters seem to have longer wavelands is because you can technically waveland completely horizontal, whereas a wavedash does require you to go at an angle.
Well magus posted on a similar subject about 2 posts later and didn't correct him.. If it was false I would have thought he'd point it out
When wavelanding you are often able to come into contact with the floor as you 1st go into the dodge as a result of falling or repositioning from changing animations alone, so you can put the entirety of the airdodge's movement into horizontal. When wavedashing you are moving up from your jump when you 1st leave the ground and start the dodge, so in order to come back into contact with the floor you need to sacrifice some of the horizontal movement on the dodge for downwards so that the downwards movement from the dodge overcomes the upwards movement from the jump.
He doesn't mention anything about fall speed or individual character momentum, he says exactly what I said (which I learned from reading this exact post a while ago), that you can go completely horizontal with your air dodge as opposed to a wavedash where you have to go some what diagonal.

How much lag time is there from a waveland?

X1-12

Smash Champion
hrm actually I'm beginning to change my mind, I thought it was caused by both of the things but now I'm not so sure, it may well just be the horizontal thing..

Vanitas

Smash Ace
For tournaments, our community has small side events other than singles and doubles...
we already did a Falcon onry and a low tier tournament...can anyone suggest some good ideas? :p

L__

Smash Master
once you hit L or R a frame window is initiated for the following 20 frames.

if you do not hit the ground within said frame limit, any additional L or R inputs will no longer provide the teching animation

in short: hit L/R 20 frames before you hit the ground

Kanelol

Smash Lord
spam c stick into the wall/ledge

hit l/r when you get hit

mock your friends who don't know how to smash DI

???

profit

Lovage

Smash Hero
both the control stick and c-stick can control ASDI (the 1 frame of SDI after hitlag ends) so the only reason you would wanna use the c-stick is if you want to DI one direction and ASDI a different direction.

this is useful for teching fairly low trajectory moves because you can't SDI down into the ground, but you can ASDI into the ground. using the c-stick to collide with the ground and the control stick to set a good trajectory is what "double stick teching" is.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
How the **** do you buffer rolls? >_>
Hold L or R and press the C-stick in a direction.

Say you're shielding and your shield gets hit by Falco's dair.

If you press and hold the C-stick in a direction during the shieldstun, you will either roll left, roll right, spotdodge, or jump on the soonest possible frame depending on what direction you held.

X1-12

Smash Champion

If you press and hold the C-stick in a direction during the shieldstun, you will either roll left, roll right, spotdodge, or jump on the soonest possible frame depending on what direction you held.
you can also buffer rolls out of attacks if you hold C-stick and R/L when mid-attack you will roll on first possible frame rather than having to wait for your shield to pop- up

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Does the size of your shield(from decay, damage, etc.) affect your ability to powershield(I know you can only powershield with the shield button hit all the way in)? I always thought it was the colliding of the shield with a projectile on the shield's initial appearance that reflected projectiles.

And when pivoting an fsmash, I know there's a 1 frame window in between dash dances(the frame where "Marth is standing upright"). My question is: During that 1 frame in between dashes, does your c-stick have to start moving then? Meaning it was neutral the frame before, or can it already be moving in the direction of the smash attack when that 1 frame occurs?
Is there only 1 point in the c-stick's range of movement that causes it to perform smash attacks? Or as long as it is moving will it input a smash attack?

Magus420

Smash Master
The powershield section of your shield (smaller area within the normal one) scales with the rest of the shield, so yeah it's harder to PS when your shield is damaged.

Pretty sure the c-stick needs to just be crossing over the point where it would cause a smash at the time of your turn. I don't think it inputs the smash more than once. If you're doing pivot smashes though you can do the pivot by flicking and releasing the control stick to do the turn so you don't dash out of the turn and pivot to a standstill. You don't need perfect timing that way.

S l o X

Smash Champion

i love youuu

1 0

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
LET'S MAKE ONE!!!
DOUBLE TOURNAMENT
NO ITEMS
ICIES ONLY
FINAL DESTINATION

p.s., thanks Magus!! You're like the druid of smash.

Pi

Smash Hero
stickywalk is when you moonwalk, but then before or right as you start the backward momentum you hold forward (relative to your character). You'll then start the dash forward animation, slowly.

It differs from moonwalking because instead of having a standard dash animation and moving backwards, you slowly start dashing forward

Top Bottom