• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

X1-12

Smash Champion
i've done it with Ganon if you di hard perpendicular is there a chance you can?
I think in normal circumstances you can't but i heard something about fox Uthrow on G&W on kongo jungle under the side platforms allows him to tech.... but i think its just really weird situations, not something you can pull off on command

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I have a question about Jiggs' Rising Pound stall.

At what point does it qualify as stalling? I'm guessing I have to be at a point offstage where it's impossible for the opponent to hit me, correct? So it wouldn't be stalling if I were to do it quite a bit off stage, but in range for the opponent to jump off stage and hit me, right? I'd just be staying in a powerful position, right?

So I could, theoretically, take a stock from a rest, or gimp or something (or even a percent lead), then just Rising Pound off stage at the point where I get an easy gimp if they jump off stage, but not where it's at the point where I'm unhittable/make the game unplayable, right?

The rules don't prevent that, right?

smakis

Smash Ace
right?

i would consider that a stall, take peach wallbombing as an example, i take a % lead then proceed to wallbomb my *** off, the opponent can jump down and try to kill me but most likely i will kill them instead then recover. the game is not unplayable, i just get an extreme advantage, right, right?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
except the tournament rules state the use of infinite rising pound is banned, not using it to stall. using the infinite anywhere is automatically implied to be stalling.

X1-12

Smash Champion
but what about things like in doubles when jiggs' pound for 30 seconds or so waiting for their teammate to respawn?

how long do you have to do it for?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
but what about things like in doubles when jiggs' pound for 30 seconds or so waiting for their teammate to respawn?

how long do you have to do it for?
30 seconds? more like 2-3 seconds tops. in the end, single person stalling in teams isn't an issue, its mostly about singles.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
i'm pretty sure pounding repeatedly to camp a desired area would fall into that category
Why? What if I'm not doing it perfectly, so it's not actually the infinite, I'm just wasting a ****load of time?

theunabletable

Smash Lord
^How is it an illegal use of pound, though? People only ban the infinite rising pound. If I don't do the infinite, then according to the rules it's not illegal, right?

X1-12

Smash Champion
basically if you're doing 200 pounds and only 199 of them are rising i think its still very likely the TO will make you forfeit the match, if not disqualify you

Kanelol

Smash Lord
that's i what i was confused about

jiggs only has like 5 rising pounds before she needs to return to earth

or the ledge

i didnt think ledge camping was banned

Laem

Smash Champion
HEY MELEE PLAYERS
Brawl is better than melee

I figured
if all melee players would start playing brawl
acknowledge MK is gay and needs to banned
and with their great numbers succeed in the task
m2k would quit brawl
which means more melee
= happy melee players

lets do it gogogo get thee to a FRS-y

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ he would also quit melee. He didn't say if mk got banned he would quit brawl, he said he would quit smash. both of them. all of them.

Not to mention MK isn't ban-worthy. You should get your scrubby *** back to the brawl section.

cjugs

Smash Ace
I play link so i'm used to being slow but now i'm starting to get good enough to wave land and be much more polished but my platform work is doo doo.. If i wanted to waveland off a plat and nair or bair should i double jump or fullhop? which is faster/ better option and is it possible for anyone to master wavelanding holding the stick completely horizontal?

Pi

Smash Hero
I play link so i'm used to being slow but now i'm starting to get good enough to wave land and be much more polished but my platform work is doo doo.. If i wanted to waveland off a plat and nair or bair should i double jump or fullhop? which is faster/ better option and is it possible for anyone to master wavelanding holding the stick completely horizontal?
All of my waveland work is DJ. I think that it is faster, but not by a lot if at all. The bad thing about this is if you get hit without touching the ground (maybe they hit you before you wavelanded, or you messed it up and air dodged) you are then out of a jump.
And I suppose that -yes- it's possible for someone to master it doing it horizontal, seeing as how that is possible, but to get it with 100% efficiency is something else. It can be done, but it's a pretty specific window.

@MK
He is a character that can take advantage of everything about brawl better than any other character

X1-12

Smash Champion
tim your DJ so you can do it as early as you can, but still reach the top platform.

chances are you will only rarely need to waveland off the top platform from the ground though

X1-12

Smash Champion
can you double stick tech when you've been grabbed by one person and about to get hit by another? or does it not work because you are lifted off the ground?

OneWing_Angel

Smash Apprentice
Hey, could someone link me to that guide for how to unlock everything for a competitive setup in the fastest way possible? My data corrupted once again. >_>

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
no. Forbidden smash DI means that you can't SDI up while you're on the ground against a move that has no vertical knockback. For example, fox's drill and fox's shine.

X1-12

Smash Champion
no. Forbidden smash DI means that you can't SDI up while you're on the ground against a move that has no vertical knockback. For example, fox's drill and fox's shine.
so would it be easier or harder to double stick tech an attack from the grabbed position? or little change?

Pi

Smash Hero
so would it be easier or harder to double stick tech an attack from the grabbed position? or little change?
If the attack would not send you vertically, easier (actually, possible, so infinitely easier)
If the attack would send you vertically (at ALL), then little change, but probably harder.

Also

I downloaded dolphin & ssbm ISO
Got it all working and set up and linked to my controller
Now
How would I go about doing AR stuff? Like frame by frame mode specifically, or even hitboxes that would be sexy ;o

Kanelol

Smash Lord
dash dance di

Can anyone explain to me why Falcon's waveland is like 3x longer than his wavedash, when most other characters only have a slightly longer waveland?

S l o X

Smash Champion
I remember there being a video of how counter picking / stage selecting during tournaments went.

Anyone want to link me?

Pi

Smash Hero
wats the quickest way to get out of a grab?
AFAIK rotating the control stick (each direction), A, B, Z, X, Y, R & L all chip off something like 4 frames per press. Personally I rotate the control stick (c-stick does nothing) and button slide over ABXY

dash dance di

Can anyone explain to me why Falcon's waveland is like 3x longer than his wavedash, when most other characters only have a slightly longer waveland?
I don't know if falcon's waveland has any particular reason for being 'longer' than anyone elses comparative to their wavedash....but the reason most characters seem to have longer wavelands is because you can technically waveland completely horizontal, whereas a wavedash does require you to go at an angle.

X1-12

Smash Champion
AFAIK rotating the control stick (each direction), A, B, Z, X, Y, R & L all chip off something like 4 frames per press. Personally I rotate the control stick (c-stick does nothing) and button slide over ABXY
Control stick only counts inputs in the 4 main directions Up/Down/Left/Right: The best way to practise button-mashing is :

1. Go into training mode as fox
2. set speed as 1/4
3. press B then slide your thumb up so it hits A, X and Y then back so it hits them a second time and press B in time to fire a second consecutive laser, repeat until you can do this and fire a solid stream of lasers consistantly then do the same while spinning (or dash-dancing on) the control stick
4. turn up speed on notch

repeat steps 2-4 until you can do it on like 2X speed or some shiz

I don't know if falcon's waveland has any particular reason for being 'longer' than anyone elses comparative to their wavedash....but the reason most characters seem to have longer wavelands is because you can technically waveland completely horizontal, whereas a wavedash does require you to go at an angle.
The reason is Falcon both has high weight and fall speed (like top 5 for both) and because of this he gets the most momentum which can be transferred into waveland. The fact there is such momentum with any character is because of the momentum they have

Top Bottom