• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

X1-12

Smash Champion
why can you waveland further then you can wavedash? and why can't you 'perfect wavedash', like you can 'perfect waveland'?

also does anyone know what the frame window is with fox to input multiple shots when standing?

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Falling momentum.

I dunno what a perfect WD is though.
I'm pretty sure a perfect WD is just a WD that sends you as far as physically possible as allowed by the games physics engine. That's just what I heard Silent Wolf say though, X1 might have a different definition.

X1-12

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure a perfect WD is just a WD that sends you as far as physically possible as allowed by the games physics engine. That's just what I heard Silent Wolf say though, X1 might have a different definition.
i mean when you hold only sideways and not at all down, thus going farther than a normal waveland

Magus420

Smash Master
When wavelanding you are often able to come into contact with the floor as you 1st go into the dodge as a result of falling or repositioning from changing animations alone, so you can put the entirety of the airdodge's movement into horizontal. When wavedashing you are moving up from your jump when you 1st leave the ground and start the dodge, so in order to come back into contact with the floor you need to sacrifice some of the horizontal movement on the dodge for downwards so that the downwards movement from the dodge overcomes the upwards movement from the jump.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Blaster

--Ground--
Total (single shot): 23
Shot comes out: 12

--Air--
Total (single shot): 36
Shot comes out: 10

Repeated shots, every 10 frames
Laser lasts 34 frames
Auto cancels upon landing

Incronaut

Smash Ace
in general, are there more top tier mains or are there more high tier mains?

being in cali its hard to tell cause there's so many different people out there (esp high tier players)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

X1-12

Smash Champion
on another note, heres a question i posted in the tournament discussion that i still havent found much of an answer to: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10068494
i asked the same thing in a thread about camping

Timing out at 0% with same stock count results in a 1 stock rematch, and if it does it again, then sudden death. This is because it never happens unless people WANT it to happen, and then the bombs decide their fate.

Vanitas

Smash Ace
Nope he was simply named randall. i'd find the thread, but search is down. i used to have the thread number memorized but i guess i forgot it (i thought it was 77797 but thats not it...)

on another note, heres a question i posted in the tournament discussion that i still havent found much of an answer to: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10068494

edit: found the randall thread. had my 9 placement wrong (79777) http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=79777
LOL so FastFox just randomly decided his name was going to be Randall? hahaha i would ve never guessed ;) thanks sveet

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
When wavelanding you are often able to come into contact with the floor as you 1st go into the dodge as a result of falling or repositioning from changing animations alone, so you can put the entirety of the airdodge's movement into horizontal. When wavedashing you are moving up from your jump when you 1st leave the ground and start the dodge, so in order to come back into contact with the floor you need to sacrifice some of the horizontal movement on the dodge for downwards so that the downwards movement from the dodge overcomes the upwards movement from the jump.
Yeah well I try to angle my dodge as close as possible to horizontal to get the most out of my wd. Like I practice and I can tell the dash is longest when I angle the control stick just a little bit more, and I just airdodge to the right instead of wavedashing. So you might sacrifice some horizontal movement, but luckily if done on point we can make it that much longer, eh? :3

Brawl doesn't use the analog part of the buttons and only responds to the digital click part when you press it all the way down. If you wanted to, you could have both buttons pressed all the way down when plugging it in or resetting it in Melee to fully disable the analog part of the buttons and make them respond the same way they would in Brawl. You most likely don't need to disable that much of the analog's range to fix your problem though (assuming that is what's wrong of course).

Also what is the purpose of this? I mean, what are the differences between analog and digital? Benefits? Thanks. : D

X1-12

Smash Champion
Do ledge cancels reduce the landing lag even more than a traditional L-Cancel?
yes, you land with just the normal landing lag as if you had not done an aerial, however if you fall off the platform when ledgecancelling it can be even less

Magus420

Smash Master
Also what is the purpose of this? I mean, what are the differences between analog and digital? Benefits? Thanks. : D
The analog is the range of motion before the click. There's a sliding mechanism on the inside connected to the button that's for reading how far down it's being pressed. You can adjust the size/strength of your shield by using this part, l-cancel, cancel chargeable moves, roll from the edge, etc.

The digital part is the click when you press it all the way down. There is a regular on/off type button inside the controller that you are pressing when it clicks down. To airdodge, tech, or powershield you need to press this part. You can also do the same things you can do with the analog part besides the adjustable shield. Everytime you press it it activates your tech window though, which is why it's good to l-cancel with just the analog part or you might not have your tech available when you want it.

If you disable the analog part of it by holding it all the way down when it's plugged in/reset you can remove the possibility of a light shield interfering with a powershield attempt which can be beneficial, though you lose the ability to lightshield/l-cancel/etc without wasting a tech while using that button. I do all of my l-canceling and adjustable shielding with R, so I disable the analog part of L and use that one if I want to powershield.

Do ledge cancels reduce the landing lag even more than a traditional L-Cancel?
They can reduce it to less than landing without doing any aerial at all if you land close enough to the edge.

yes, you land with just the normal landing lag as if you had not done an aerial, however if you fall off the platform when ledgecancelling it can be even less
The amount of lag you have depends on how long it takes sliding before you reach the edge. That could be 1 frame or it could be as long as the normal lag for the aerial. It also doesn't matter if you fall off or not. A cancel is a cancel.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
The analog is the range of motion before the click. There's a sliding mechanism on the inside connected to the button that's for reading how far down it's being pressed. You can adjust the size/strength of your shield by using this part, l-cancel, cancel chargeable moves, roll from the edge, etc.

The digital part is the click when you press it all the way down. There is a regular on/off type button inside the controller that you are pressing when it clicks down. To airdodge, tech, or powershield you need to press this part. You can also do the same things you can do with the analog part besides the adjustable shield. Everytime you press it it activates your tech window though, which is why it's good to l-cancel with just the analog part or you might not have your tech available when you want it.

If you disable the analog part of it by holding it all the way down when it's plugged in/reset you can remove the possibility of a light shield interfering with a powershield attempt which can be beneficial, though you lose the ability to lightshield/l-cancel/etc without wasting a tech while using that button. I do all of my l-canceling and adjustable shielding with R, so I disable the analog part of L and use that one if I want to powershield.

Ah ok thank you very much. I will try that. Seems very convenient.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey i have a question..

Alright i used to play melee a few years back and didnt even know the game was competitive at the time. So now ive been playing brawl for awhile now and kinda want to play brawl and melee... only thing is that im late competitive smash so if im really going to boost myself up i need to just focus on 1 character for melee and brawl. So which has better MUs and which character in general has a better chance at winning a tournament in melee and brawl...

Jigglypuff
Fox
Marth
Shiek
Falco
Peach
Ganondorf

Them are the only competitive ones i can think of... now keep in mind that im a fast paced gamer and love to punish, its just what i do. So try to pick out your top 2 for me that would be great at punishing and great at winning tournaments.

Oh and also.. im used to playing games like mmorpgs and only have 1 character on them... is it kinda the same in smash or should i go with 2 that way i can always have the choice to CP or if i feel like playing a different character i can.

I know i sound like a noob but im really not. Its just im new to melee and really want to get back into it so i need to know if i should use 1 or 2 characters and which is best at punishing and which is tournament matieral.

Thanks for your time ;)

Kanelol

Smash Lord
The whole argument regarding whether or not it's better to have one decent main and a few baller secondaries or focus solely on one is age old, and totally individualistic.

Some people get way better at a main by playing a secondary, for example, ICG claims he learned all his Fox tech skill by playing Pichu, and I personally have found my Fox got way better when I started playing Falco. There are a bunch of other people that claim separating your focuses at all makes you worse. Just play around with it, it's a video game for a reason.

If you like punishing, Fox or Marth is the way to go, just be like m2k.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Alright.. Yeah im more for speed so im guessing falco, fox, c.falcon ect. Well c.falcon isnt that good in brawl though. So im really thinking about fox and falco and a few others a lot. Punishing is my thing but speed is my key to winning.

So in your opinion who do you think the fastest character in melee is?

HotWings

Smash Ace
Alright thanks L__. Im seriously giving him some thought because he wasnt nerfed that bad from melee to brawl... i mean attack damage and range yes but he has gotten a speed up i believe and his damage doesnt suck that bad for me not to use him. But im still thinking between him and the others because i really dont want to switch my main ever again so i want to give this some deep thought.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Alright thanks L__. Im seriously giving him some thought because he wasnt nerfed that bad from melee to brawl... i mean attack damage and range yes but he has gotten a speed up i believe and his damage doesnt suck that bad for me not to use him. But im still thinking between him and the others because i really dont want to switch my main ever again so i want to give this some deep thought.
To be honest, you can't even compare characters from melee and characters from brawl. on a competitive level, there's as much of a difference between Melee/Brawl Fox and Melee Fox/MK. Just huge, sweeping gaps in gameplay, both mental and tech.

Also, the most damaging thing you can do to your development as a competitive melee player is be irrationally close minded regarding the one character you play. Even the best of the best that only play a single main in tourneys have a few secondaries for fun. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't not try another character a few months down the road just because you promised you would never switch mains.

HotWings

Smash Ace
To be honest, you can't even compare characters from melee and characters from brawl. on a competitive level, there's as much of a difference between Melee/Brawl Fox and Melee Fox/MK. Just huge, sweeping gaps in gameplay, both mental and tech.

Also, the most damaging thing you can do to your development as a competitive melee player is be irrationally close minded regarding the one character you play. Even the best of the best that only play a single main in tourneys have a few secondaries for fun. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't not try another character a few months down the road just because you promised you would never switch mains.

Yeah i see what your saying.. i guess i am just tired of switching mains and being almost like a random main for so long and getting nowhere that i just want to master 1 character atleast. Then maybe once he/she is mastered then i could maybe move on to another character for an alt.

Only thing i dont like about falco right now in brawl is that his reflector comes out instead of on him... not a big deal seeing as how falco is tournament matieral in melee and brawl... im honestly thinking about picking up falco instea dof fox or any others because he seems to combo the fastest and he has projectiles unlike c.falcon.

Im still thinking about it but falco seems to be #1 choice for me.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!! ;)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ok, someone who gets the technacility of being fluid with wave dashing, direction change, and attacking after... I use the Z button per say. Lets say I see a great opportunity to use an edgeguard, on shiek lets say. I have to act quickly before she disappears, or then I'll have much more trouble with her on the stage... I wavedash back, jump, and then use z to perform a bair on her at the right time... OOPS, I perform a FAIR instead. This happens to me quite often. I like gimping, and I try it often because thats what I need to do.

So, I know somewhere in that process, I changed the direction... what should I do? Practice my wavedash some more and not inputting a direction or something... use Z less? Please help me understand it a little more.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Ok, someone who gets the technacility of being fluid with wave dashing, direction change, and attacking after... I use the Z button per say. Lets say I see a great opportunity to use an edgeguard, on shiek lets say. I have to act quickly before she disappears, or then I'll have much more trouble with her on the stage... I wavedash back, jump, and then use z to perform a bair on her at the right time... OOPS, I perform a FAIR instead. This happens to me quite often. I like gimping, and I try it often because thats what I need to do.

So, I know somewhere in that process, I changed the direction... what should I do? Practice my wavedash some more and not inputting a direction or something... use Z less? Please help me understand it a little more.

I assume you mean you do a turnaround then fair? as opposed to still facing the same way but fairing by accident?

its most likely when you wavedash back, you are holding backwards for too long and end up turning around, or that you turn around accidentally before wavedashing. just practise wavedashing backwards all the way along FD without turning around - you'll get the hang of it

Pressing Z should be no different from pressing A in the air (unless you're samus/link/Ylink)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Besides Sheik, who is a good counter for Marth? or is Marth too good lol
falcon and shiek are the only 2 iirc

falcon is just as bad for marth as sheik :(

you can also overwhelm some marths with spacies, the matchups are only even because marth punishes them so well, so if you avoid his stuff well you can win.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Yeah i see what your saying.. i guess i am just tired of switching mains and being almost like a random main for so long and getting nowhere that i just want to master 1 character atleast. Then maybe once he/she is mastered then i could maybe move on to another character for an alt.

Only thing i dont like about falco right now in brawl is that his reflector comes out instead of on him... not a big deal seeing as how falco is tournament matieral in melee and brawl... im honestly thinking about picking up falco instea dof fox or any others because he seems to combo the fastest and he has projectiles unlike c.falcon.

Im still thinking about it but falco seems to be #1 choice for me.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!! ;)
While characters may appear superficially the same in melee and brawl, none are. Just pick a brawl main and a melee main, because you will need to completely change your play regardless of if the characters have the same name.

Pi

Smash Hero

Any control configuration that you've adapted to is going to be viable. The only thing you can do is practice it. Practice every minute, insignificant, mundane aspect of your gameplay.

Dash dancing, crouching out of dash, turning around with your wave dash, fast falling, etc. etc. etc.

The more you practice the less you will mess up, it's not only super flashy tech skill things that require practice to become consistent with.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I assume you mean you do a turnaround then fair? as opposed to still facing the same way but fairing by accident?

its most likely when you wavedash back, you are holding backwards for too long and end up turning around, or that you turn around accidentally before wavedashing. just practise wavedashing backwards all the way along FD without turning around - you'll get the hang of it

Pressing Z should be no different from pressing A in the air (unless you're samus/link/Ylink)
yeah a turnaround (while thinking I was actually facing the opposite direction to bair) and since I was thinking I was facing the other way, I'd fair instead of bair because I would usually want to bair.

But thanks that will help very much, I will do so.

Any control configuration that you've adapted to is going to be viable. The only thing you can do is practice it. Practice every minute, insignificant, mundane aspect of your gameplay.

Dash dancing, crouching out of dash, turning around with your wave dash, fast falling, etc. etc. etc.

The more you practice the less you will mess up, it's not only super flashy tech skill things that require practice to become consistent with.
Thanks also, you are right. I should practice up on not messing up. Haha.

Top Bottom