• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although over 14 hours later.

Snake's jab does have frame advantage ignoring any DI someone might throw in. Jab -> Ftilt is actually a legitimate combo on certain characters. However, you have to hit with the proper part of the jab for it to work. It will either hit someone up, or slide them along the ground. I never looked into what SDI might do for the jab, but if someone doesn't bother with it, a frame advantage is still there.

His Jab -> Utilt is not. However, considering that snake's jab has a 4 frame advantage on some characters to be able to connect into a ftilt, I bet at least one character might be in stun long enough for a jab -> utilt to work. But they very well might not be.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Although over 14 hours later.

Snake's jab does have frame advantage ignoring any DI someone might throw in. Jab -> Ftilt is actually a legitimate combo on certain characters. However, you have to hit with the proper part of the jab for it to work. It will either hit someone up, or slide them along the ground. I never looked into what SDI might do for the jab, but if someone doesn't bother with it, a frame advantage is still there.

His Jab -> Utilt is not. However, considering that snake's jab has a 4 frame advantage on some characters to be able to connect into a ftilt, I bet at least one character might be in stun long enough for a jab -> utilt to work. But they very well might not be.
You could probably connect jab -> utilt on a lot of the cast

if they potentially have RCO lag

OverLade

Smash Hero
Several members of the cast can SDI MK's Uair and punish him for it too.
No they can't. And if they can, it's not humanly practical. Most people can't even SDI uair away to get away from the next hit. Mr. Dooms video proves it's possible, but it's not worth risking. MK has multiple options after he Uairs you, including Nair and shuttle loop. In trying to SDI a second or 3rd Uair (You're obviously not gonna SDI the first one on reaction) you risk him doing a move other than Uair, WC DIing and ending up in a worse position. In the situations that fox jabs, mashing to SDI is almost harmless because you'll get punished anyway. That's the reason SDIing a lot of moves against MK is dangerous, because you have to predict which move he's gonna use and in most situations he can use a move that will hit you vertically or horizontally, meaning if you guess wrong you either end up above him or off stage.

Can't snake uptilt after jab, or can you powershield that? ftilt is probably better now days for snake..
Jab Utilt isn't guaranteed on any character. Depending on the size of the character and which direction your opponent is holding, some characters are popped up by jab and some are punished back. If people DI away from jabs, even Jab Ftilt isn't guaranteed (maybe it is if it's frame perfect, but even good snakes whiff it when this happens). In the situation that people SDI away though, a lot of them hold shield so you can go in for a dashgrab as a mixup. However they can grab you before your Ftilt or dashgrab comes out. Seibrik does this a lot and it makes playing footsies with his MK or Dedede dangerous because you can't use jab as a hitconfirm.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
No they can't. And if they can, it's not humanly practical. Most people can't even SDI uair away to get away from the next hit. Mr. Dooms video proves it's possible, but it's not worth risking. MK has multiple options after he Uairs you, including Nair and shuttle loop. In trying to SDI a second or 3rd Uair (You're obviously not gonna SDI the first one on reaction) you risk him doing a move other than Uair, WC DIing and ending up in a worse position. In the situations that fox jabs, mashing to SDI is almost harmless because you'll get punished anyway. That's the reason SDIing a lot of moves against MK is dangerous, because you have to predict which move he's gonna use and in most situations he can use a move that will hit you vertically or horizontally, meaning if you guess wrong you either end up above him or off stage.

Jab Utilt isn't guaranteed on any character. Depending on the size of the character and which direction your opponent is holding, some characters are popped up by jab and some are punished back. If people DI away from jabs, even Jab Ftilt isn't guaranteed (maybe it is if it's frame perfect, but even good snakes whiff it when this happens). In the situation that people SDI away though, a lot of them hold shield so you can go in for a dashgrab as a mixup. However they can grab you before your Ftilt or dashgrab comes out. Seibrik does this a lot and it makes playing footsies with his MK or Dedede dangerous because you can't use jab as a hitconfirm.
I've seen Ally do this a couple of times back in the day, but if one does a walking jab and slides a bit so that they get in position, I see that snake can sometimes do a standing grab w/o worrying about pushing them away from your grab. Has someone like Eternal Yoshi found whether that's guaranteed? It's a bit situational, but I see it enough to think that it warrants a closer look. If not, I might have to look at it myself.

OverLade

Smash Hero
That only works if they get popped up, which happens if they DI toward you. If they DI away they can always roll or sidestep before you can grab them (though may not be true for every character).

Exdeath

Smash Master
That was pretty much my point. Falco's Jab 1 is very similar to MK's Uair in terms of frame data. Both have option-select SDIs, but it shouldn't be considered to be expected.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Are Snakes sure Jab -> UTilt doesn't work on Jiggs when Jab pops her up? I found she is specially suspect to that sort of thing.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
You guys should've watched long enough to hear his thoughts on Pikachu and Falco. I got a good laugh from Pikachu. :3

OverLade

Smash Hero
That was pretty much my point. Falco's Jab 1 is very similar to MK's Uair in terms of frame data. Both have option-select SDIs, but it shouldn't be considered to be expected.
Frame data doesn't determine how predictable something is. Falco's Jab serves a purpose that no other move in his moveset serves. You pretty much know when Falco is gonna jab, and if he doesn't jab, you have to do realize it without risking WC DIing a kill move (and you'll have a double jump since you're on the ground to help with DI).

MK's Uair is literally too risky to SDI in some situations (plus it's far harder to SDI away from because of how much range it has).

Anyway I was talking about Fox's Jab, which is easier to SDI than Falco's because it has less range, and not as good options from cooldown (Falco has more grab range than fox as well).

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
What stops MK from hitting you with another upair if you don't SDI?

_Kain_

Smash Champion
I lold that you guys just basically said eating uair chain into w/e at the end is better than trying to SDI out and eat less DMG

Best Thread Ever

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I lold that you guys just basically said eating uair chain into w/e at the end is better than trying to SDI out and eat less DMG

Best Thread Ever
XD I didn't say that.

If the MK's smart he could predict the SDI and possibly follow up with another Uair.

Smooth Criminal

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
If the person facing the MK was smart then he would have never got hit by the first upair in the first place

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
MK can Shuttle Loop you if you SDI to the sides. True combo and everything.

You need, like, Mr. Doom SDI if you want to truly escape that.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Brawl, if Sakurai catered to competitive players. :(

... I wish.

OverLade

Smash Hero
MK can Shuttle Loop you if you SDI to the sides. True combo and everything.

You need, like, Mr. Doom SDI if you want to truly escape that.
Thank you someone logical.

If you try to SDI Uairs away MK will either keep Uairing (which will take you offstage), or Nair, or shuttle loop which you will West coast DI offstage because you're trying to SDI. If you're up against a good MK, you'll probably die.

Not to be a ****, but if you don't play good MKs regularly you shouldn't try to comment on the matchup concerning things like this. There's NO practical solution for getting out of Uair strings, just stay on the ground and try to keep it from happening, but sometimes it's much better to take damage than take a bad position...

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
so uh, wat happened to ROB? why is he so low? doesn't he still have both good mu's AND good results? seriously, just because other character's have started to do good, doesn't mean that ROB is all of a sudden worse than they are. he is still hella solid in all categories, and only lacks against MK. (and as i stated, while i feel he is better than where he is placed, unfortunately we pit mains haven't proven ourselves deserving of higher placement and thus his spot on the tier list actually makes sense, unlike ROB who has results and good MUs)

which brings up this idea.

since all we brawlers ever do is throw out the MK factor in everything nearly bar the tier list, why don't we make the tier list specifically to go with how well each character does against MK? i mean hell, we have pretty much started to do that already, why not just take out results (since some are obviously over-rated, however im not refering to wolf, i've always felt him to be a great character) and specifically make the tier list based off of how we base everything else in brawl off of, MK's mus? (if you don't get the point im making it's because im tipsy enough to be argumentative yet not enough to have poor spelling)

Exdeath

Smash Master
Thank you someone logical.

If you try to SDI Uairs away MK will either keep Uairing (which will take you offstage), or Nair, or shuttle loop which you will West coast DI offstage because you're trying to SDI. If you're up against a good MK, you'll probably die.

Not to be a ****, but if you don't play good MKs regularly you shouldn't try to comment on the matchup concerning things like this. There's NO practical solution for getting out of Uair strings, just stay on the ground and try to keep it from happening, but sometimes it's much better to take damage than take a bad position...
We'll just have to agree to disagree that Uair>Up-B with bad DI at very low to low % is worse than Uairx3>Nair/Up-B with decent DI at the same %.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom