• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browny

Smash Hater
No one in wofl boards answered me (hate)

but isnt falcos jab1 adv on shield?

Also lucarios fair/ftilt 2 stocks down 180% etc is probably adv on shield.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
What San said.

Agreed completely. If some superior players don't know the ditto of their own character, and lose to worse players, then of course playing a character doesn't mean you know how to fight against them, especially with a different character...

Also, playstyles definitely have a lot to do with it. A lot of people only get remotely close to beating M2K because he doesn't camp, which is why random top MKs **** people harder than M2K does etc etc.

I'm not talking down on Trevonte I think it's just pretty obvious that he's no where near TKD...
The bolded part does not fit the context of this specific set. TKD had won earlier in the day as chuee mentioned with MK. In addition afterwards they did do Fox dittos in friendlies, and TKD was winning. Outside that it just seems silly to assume TKD specifically wouldnt be one of the toughest people in the nation to use fox against, supported by the fact that he took a set off trevonte while Bardull, Terry, and Tyrant could not (he beat tyrant on rainbow cruise). For some moralistic reason he didnt want to use Fox against Trevonte or Larry even though hed had success previously against both (his wario ended up getting 3 stocked by larry).

Not to say your scenario would never be true, but it doesnt fit this one. Id suggest becoming more informed about trevonte before making judgements on his skill. Given west coasts lack of presence here we have several players that tend to fly under the radar.

So is his full charged neutral b :)
rooofl

fkacyan

Smash Hero
OK, let me rephrase in a way you morons won't argue semantics:

There is no character with advantage on shield in such a way that they can reliably use it to approach.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
The bolded part does not fit the context of this specific set. TKD had won earlier in the day as chuee mentioned with MK. In addition afterwards they did do Fox dittos in friendlies, and TKD was winning. Outside that it just seems silly to assume TKD specifically wouldnt be one of the toughest people in the nation to use fox against, supported by the fact that he took a set off trevonte while Bardull, Terry, and Tyrant could not (he beat tyrant on rainbow cruise). For some moralistic reason he didnt want to use Fox against Trevonte or Larry even though hed had success previously against both (his wario ended up getting 3 stocked by larry).

Not to say your scenario would never be true, but it doesnt fit this one. Id suggest becoming more informed about trevonte before making judgements on his skill. Given west coasts lack of presence here we have several players that tend to fly under the radar.

rooofl
He beat Trevonte in Fox Dittos first set

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Neutral air on shield to tipper fsmash baited much this past week bro?
It's all the upB :urg:

Idunno, Luigi should be better than D3 too. D3 and Luigi both get in some good damage when they get in, but both are stupidly slow getting there. At least Luigi's got the killpower to boot.

:troll:
LOL

Maybe I'm dumb but am I the only person that thinks that how boring a character is to play might have a baring on why they don't have many results? Like I could be wrong but I think Kirby is one of the least fun characters to play (probably my bottom 5) and there are much better characters to play with a similar style (not to mention more fun).

It's like jigglypuff, why would you play jigglypuff when you can play Wario who plays pretty similarly but also has a ton of fun gimmicks (that are actually viable) and just be a way better character. Wario can time people out too but he might not actually have to everytime.......
This

Using a character =/= playing against the character.

Lain lost to Ally's CGless ICs.

All you really know are tactics you personally don't like.
This

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Those were friendlies after the set. I was there to watch it :)
No we saw it on livestream he beat him in Fox Dittos in tournament in Winners knocking him into losers, then in losers he went MK and lost

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Meta Knight can do it with his F-Tilt, D-Tilt, Up-B, glide attack, F-Smash, U-Air...Almost every character's spotdodge can accomplish this with a little bit of thought (and often without any, too!).

It's not that weird to see it used in competitive play.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I mean I guess you can count that for against Thio though, I can safely approach and the retreat or just stuff the punish for my Bair.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
For the record, -2 is amazing on shield. ZSS' dsmash is -5 adv and the only characters that can beat it are characters with broken OOS moves like Marth, Bowser, and Mario. (This doesn't really count as an approach, I'm just saying -5 is pretty damn good so -2 is obviously good)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
While it doesn't take much away from how safe it is, you have to remember that ZSS's D-Smash has a great deal of range, too, which makes it even harder to punish in most situations.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I think Wolf's fully retreat Fair and Bair on shield have good advantage on shield. I know shine causes disadvantage to whoever we shine, but Wolf can only Dtilt or Jab at best (Unless they have landing penalty).

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think Wolf's fully retreat Fair and Bair on shield have good advantage on shield.
Horizontal distance doesn't affect frame advantage. It only affects what characters can do with the frame (dis)advantage. Granted, Wolf's great range on many moves allow him to use it really well, but it doesn't give him extra frame advantage.

Unless you're just saying "advantage" as in positioning advantage, which would be true, but not relevant to the topic at hand.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Framewise no, unless you are talking about how many frames it would take for someone to shield drop and then move themselves towards where you are now located.

If you Fair/Bair a shield at the perfect height, you never have frame advantage. But retreating it can make you safe because it takes too long to shield drop and run over there.

Edit: What reflex said. From a frame perspective, no. From a positional view, yes. But that's different from frame advantage on shield.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
jiggs or zelda, whos better? DMG doesn't get to reply to this

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Jigglypuff is better. Jigglypuff can actually avoid the things sent in her direction, can run away pretty well, has good potential in being unpredictable, and has a generally solid defensive game (as in, being in her shield, for instance).

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
yeah...
there's a difference between safe on shield and advantage on shield.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
just to throw out another thing to put that guy who said nothing is positive on shield down, arrow loop is positive on shield.

but ya positive on shield and safe on shield are pretty different. i mean like seagull said, wolf's bair (with proper spacing) is safe on shield, but if he were to use it falling into someone trying to get a frame trap grab or something, wouldn't happen. and then you have falco's lazer, which is positive on shield and safe because of said advantage but only if you take advantage of the frame trap.

Judo777

Smash Master
To defend thio I do believe in his original post he did say bar projectiles. He just didn't mention it in his revision post.

Also the positional advantage dealing with frame advantage is also irrelevant to conversation because its freaking impossible to test. Or rather it like impossible to get data on.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Not really. You could collect data on it. Have someone retreat the move of choice on shield, and have something assist you in frame perfect shield drop/punishing actions.

Judo777

Smash Master
Not really. You could collect data on it. Have someone retreat the move of choice on shield, and have something assist you in frame perfect shield drop/punishing actions.
No no no that's not what I meant. What you are describing is the only way to get an affirmative answer on whether stuff is punishable. I'm referring to the idea I had for trying to get a measurement of distance that we can figure stuff on based solely on distance of moves and frame data of moves AND the distance which moves cover as well as the speed at which a character moves.

So for instance say Sheiks DA cover 26 units after input. Marth is 15 units away after a fair with a frame advantage of X. Sheik can therefore shield drop and DA as long as shield drop plus DA has less than X frames because it covers 26 units.

Granted numbers are made up but I thought it could be extremely valuable. It just seems like it would be way too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom