• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert.

Smash Master
That's like saying why play any other character than mk honestly.
Sorry but unless you mained Marth you would never understand

Imagine if there was a character just like peach, had peaches turnips, floaty stuff, same playstyle, and everything... except that that character was much better in every regard.

That's what it's LIKE with Metaknight out there for a marth player

cry cry cry

whine!

tragedy!!!!

Brawlin

Smash Journeyman
@Albert and Spelt. Yeah I guess u guys r right. But, still, characters aren't given credit for their other matchups other than MK. But MK players are EVERYWHERE tho. :/

D

Deleted member

They arent even super similar o_o
Just because they both space with swords? loool

Marth has a better ground punish, a better game out of a walk (Cuz of his raaape standing grab), and some other good stuff. MK is obviously very good, but i dont see how they are all that alike. They dont play similarly really except for quick aerial spacing, but even marth has advantages like shieldbreaker and a better grab game.

Also platform cancel runn off spikes <3

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Marth has a better ground punish
Looooool in marth's dreams. mk is much better at punishing. in every sense of the word.

a better game out of a walk (Cuz of his raaape standing grab), and some other good stuff.
Who would walk when you have marth's fair? grab game is only "good" at low percents, and everyone but heavies can DI his fsmash combos i'm pretty sure. he has a couple fthrow dair spikes but realistically how much do you think marth is going to grab a falco at 0% ... by the ledge? fishing for grabs will just get you lasered over and over and over.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
The first part is true. MK is better at punishing on the ground than Marth.

The second part...have you ever seen a good Marth play? A LOT of it is walking. And dancing blade...

C.J.

Smash Master
Looooool in marth's dreams. mk is much better at punishing. in every sense of the word.

Who would walk when you have marth's fair? grab game is only "good" at low percents, and everyone but heavies can DI his fsmash combos i'm pretty sure. he has a couple fthrow dair spikes but realistically how much do you think marth is going to grab a falco at 0% ... by the ledge? fishing for grabs will just get you lasered over and over and over.
ouch my head hurts.
DB is a phenomenal punishing move in the game first of all. 15+ damage plus it refreshes 4 moves.

Marth's walk is ****, lets him get grabs, dtilt vs non-high-tier-characters, jab and ftilt to stuff aerial approaches.

As for his grab game, it's beastly. First of all, fthrow fsmash is guaranteed vs the whole cast except like one or two characters. Secondly, at low percents he has dthrow CG to fsmash on a few characters that rack up >40%. You are however right about the likelihood of getting fthrow->fthrow->dair. However, he does have fthrow->dair on the entire cast (if he manages to get a throw that close to the ledge at 0%) which puts them on the ledge which is where Marth is better than everyone in the game other than MK. Granted the characters are few and far between where you wouldn't want to just get the extra damage with the fsmash.

The low knockback on his throws make following up ridiculously easy. The super-long hitbox on nair eats airdodges and DB ***** spotdodges.

And also complimenting his grab game are his GR combos against the majority of the cast if they air release.

tl;dr:
Marth has a great punishing move in the game and has a great grab game. Not the best, but really good.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know, i was making a joke. :c
but seriously, marth's grab is overhyped.

Edit: ^ at dtl

ouch my head hurts.
DB is a phenomenal punishing move in the game first of all. 15+ damage plus it refreshes 4 moves.
snake's ftilt does 21% and generally serves the same purpose.

First of all, fthrow fsmash is guaranteed vs the whole cast except like one or two characters.
I would like to see some data on this or something because i am pretty sure that is false.

Secondly, at low percents he has dthrow CG to fsmash on a few characters that rack up >40%.
bolded parts are why i'm not taking this seriously.

You are however right about the likelihood of getting fthrow->fthrow->dair. However, he does have fthrow->dair on the entire cast (if he manages to get a throw that close to the ledge at 0%) which puts them on the ledge which is where Marth is better than everyone in the game other than MK. Granted the characters are few and far between where you wouldn't want to just get the extra damage with the fsmash.
Didn't know about this, actually. but this would only put on umm, 14%? i'm sure the majority of the cast could come back to the stage taking not much more than like 20%. and there's again, the factor of grabbing them that close to the ledge.

The low knockback on his throws make following up ridiculously easy. The super-long hitbox on nair eats airdodges and DB ***** spotdodges.
That's just knowing the matchup, though.

Also, Dancing Blade is the best out-of-dash move in the game imo.
Glide toss banana is much better imo.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Marth's walk is faster than half of the cast's dash speeds. ._.

Also, Dancing Blade is the best out-of-dash move in the game imo.

D

Deleted member

I shouldn't respond to this, you clearly don't know what you are talking about in anything.
Watch some videos or look at a good marth play.
Dancing blade is a better ground punish than MKs moves. Leads to grab or does solid damage and refreshes nicely. Mk has good punishes also, so its debatable i guess.

Marths walk most of the time, his grab is great for damage racking and puts the opponent in the air, where marth can punish airdodges and landings better than most characters. Marth is really good in large part BECAUSE of his walking game, which leads to his nice other stuff.

The ONLY reason marth beats snake is because of marths walk and great grab. Without it he would get *****.
On snakes ftilt:
Dancing blade is safer, most versatile, and isnt so freaking obvious (since his grab is so good, and you cant really defend against both at once from the ground). Snake ftilt is obviously a great move, but dancing blade is arguably better. Marth can also follow up better from it, as marth abuses a falling opponent worse than snake.

Spelt i havent seen u say anything informed ever. X.x
Not that it matters, its a tier list thread lolz

D

Deleted member

Can you read?

Obviously MK is good at punishing...
Obviously snakes ftilt is a good move...
I dont wanna just make huge statements, for some person to come give me a list of why MK's ground punishes are better, because the point is that marth is an amazing punisher, and dancing blade does a lot of things that MK cannot do
The main points were that you are completely wrong and have no clue what you are talking about =D
o well, like i said it doesnt rly matter, so continue doin what ur doing :psycho:
"Why would marth walk when he can fair" is pretty freaking wrong lolz

Edit: One more thing, it was just an observation. I truly have never seen you say anything informed. Im sure you have somewhere lolz

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No. It's either rage, Theorizing why this character is better or worse and should be higher. Or just Discussing one character which should be done in it's perspective boards.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Obviously MK is good at punishing...
Obviously snakes ftilt is a good move...
I dont wanna just make huge statements, for some person to come give me a list of why MK's ground punishes are better, because the point is that marth is an amazing punisher, and dancing blade does a lot of things that MK cannot do
The main points were that you are completely wrong and have no clue what you are talking about =D
What things can he not do exactly? get 13% off of a punish? nair oos can do 18%, i think? Plus now MK's in the position to juggle.

ftilt refreshes 3 moves, outranges dancing blade, does 12% altogether, comes out on frame 3 (DB comes out on 4), and third hit is just as good (if not better) at stopping aerial approaches as marth's ftilt.
Plus mk has ... pretty much any aerial out of shield, up b

As for grabs, i never said he has a bad grab game, but it's not OMFG good like most people like to proclaim.

"Why would marth walk when he can fair" is pretty freaking wrong lolz
Can you read? i said that was a joke. really not hard to see it was.

You're one of those people who just goes off of what other people say and doesn't really bother to invest any time in figuring this stuff out for yourself.
And i'm the one that's misinformed?

D

Deleted member

Haha

I didnt really mean OOS options, tho thats my bad for not clarifying. I meant on whiff or to punish someone spacing, which i guess you could say is on whiff.(MK definately has better OOS options).
MK's ftilt is really good, agreed, but cannot be used out of a dash, and after the first hit is very not safe on block. Its a real nice poke.

Dancing blade shield pokes low shields, and you can use the first hit and then walk grab, or other similar mixups. MK's is more, long range, annoying poke that is quite solid, but not really as versitile (not that it really matters, MK has tons of options he doesnt need one move that does all of that, but for marth, its nice).

I would say his grab game is OMFG good lolz, especially against the characters who are most common in tournaments. Marth doesnt have to fish for grabs to get that low percent grab, he can walk up and react accordingly. If he doesnt get the grab, he doesnt, but he can make something happen against someone avoiding grabs, because that means they arent shielding, or are just hitting shield. TBH, i dunno how marth does against aircamping, but ive never seen a marth have trouble with it.

I dont read stuff about marth lolz. Ive watched marths play, videos and irl, i dabble in lots of characters, and ive played mike haze in tourny recently (last hit >.>). I obviously am not an expert of marth XD

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Of course a Yoshi main would forget about OOS options. :chuckle:

Punishing spacing falls into oos stuff. :/

MK has mixups on first hit ftilt, which m2k uses a lot. especially first hit ftilt > grab. dtilt can also be used to punish whiffs, which leads into ftilt too lol. not being able to use ftilt out of a dash is a problem, but for that he has dash attack/grab/jump>something.

Again, pretty sure fsmash combos aren't true combos on most of the cast. there's only a few characters who really have to worry about grabs (at low percents) and they'll most likely take extra care in avoiding it.

reading airdodges and punishing with nair and whatnot is just reading/matchup knowledge. If we're going to consider that stuff than everyone is top tier.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
DDD's rate of descent is probably noteworthy as some sort of statistic. If it keeps up, it should be some sort of record.

=(

fUddO

Smash Ace
There's also the fact that almost all of MKs punishes can kill...Nair, Dsmash, SL - just take your pick, they're all amazingly safe.

D

Deleted member

Of course a Yoshi main would forget about OOS options. :chuckle:

Punishing spacing falls into oos stuff. :/

MK has mixups on first hit ftilt, which m2k uses a lot. especially first hit ftilt > grab. dtilt can also be used to punish whiffs, which leads into ftilt too lol. not being able to use ftilt out of a dash is a problem, but for that he has dash attack/grab/jump>something.

Again, pretty sure fsmash combos aren't true combos on most of the cast. there's only a few characters who really have to worry about grabs (at low percents) and they'll most likely take extra care in avoiding it.

reading airdodges and punishing with nair and whatnot is just reading/matchup knowledge. If we're going to consider that stuff than everyone is top tier.
Fair enough, i know MK pretty well, i just think that sometimes marths dancing blade is versatile enough that it can be used to punish a little better than something like dash attack or dash grab, cuz if u miss a dash grab or dash attack you are gonna get hurt. Whereas if u go and dancing blade, you are still at an advantage.

But im done, i like it when you make less bold statements and more smart stuff =]

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I like how people are apparently making a big deal about marths grab game, when that shiz is average at best.
the actual throws to terrible damage, I dont think any one of his throws does more than 4%

90% of the time follow ups out of said throws require the opponent to airdodge into the ground, or otherwise get read by the marth.

and as far as low percent grab combos go, pretty much every character in the game has that at this point, and marths grab follow ups are some of the most damage dependant in the game. and probably do the least damage. f throw f smash does 24%. MK has down throw to tornado, which does more damage and sets up for more followups. falco has the **** CG. olimar has the brood combo, aka downthrow to double up smash lol. which does 30+. and even pit and pikachu have f throw CGs which arent completely invalidated if you hit the opponent once.

than you have characters like g watch and snake, that can make simple tech chases off their down throws to build stupid damage.

I could go on but the point is, marth grab game is not great, its THERE, its an option, its a way to beat shield happy people, but its not above average in anyway.

Browny

Smash Hater
eh, not really. his throws are good coz they have tiny endlag and leave the opponent very close to you, often leaving them with 1 single option to avoid damage thus reading/punishing landing lag and airdodges isnt that difficult.

but would I trade his grabs/throws for any characters' that I use... probably not

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
down throw does 5%!!!!!!!!
H'err?

Either this isn't right, or I'm more tired than I realized.

Cool, I have a reason to turn on my Wii later today, after I wake-up and get schoolwork done.

Good night.

ZZZZZ.

Laem

Smash Champion
actually look at the two characters play and then tell me mk is much like marth LOL
silly people AMERICANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom