• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Hunter Valley Smash - Back in business!

Ant1

Smash Ace
Either way all the top players of the game haev extensive knowledge of the game and are all about the same level these days. It's impossible to define who the single best player is without significant placings over a multitude of tournaments with all top level players attending.
That's like exactly what i've said on a few occasions. From what i've been told i think it's safe to say Shaya would be in top 3 anyway.
And only real pro's play low tier characters.

tedeth

Smash Master
Clearly pitting one player against another and having a predictable outcome indicates the requirement of skill. If there was no skill involved in the game, it would be solely luck, and Shaya could potentially lose to like... Tickles or something.

Browny

Smash Hater
oh there is skill

I just truly feel that skill in this game loses hardcore to stupid camping tactics, highly spammable attacks and broken character matchups. mix and match those three together and the gap is so far shrunk its depressing almost

tedeth

Smash Master
I tell you what's more depressing? The fact that this game's been out for so long and people are still saying the same **** about it. Like "oh there is less tech skill involved in brawl." Thank you everyone who is smart enough to have finally figured that out after the game being out for 12 months in this country and 18 months overseas. I'm glad you've managed to see that this isn't a game designed for the same level of competition that melee was, but everyone else figured that out a long time ago.

Having people like Turtle randomly coming onto the boards and being like "BRAWL IS ****ING ****" is far less annoying than people discussing the obvious faults of the game in detail for the 1000th time. What Turt does gets him infracted, what this is is just pointing out something everyone already knows and having other people agree with you for your own self-satisfaction.

Yes, brawl is AMAAZINGLY, if not RIDICULOUSLY flawed. Yes, melee is a MUCH better and MUCH more competitive game as a whole. But since I joined smashboards I have seen this argument made over and over again in like every ****ing thread I've ever been in.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Brawl's got too much depth that isn't technical that it makes technical lovers sore, and the people who main low tier characters are 'somehow' contempt, while the people who main high tier characters complain whilst their opponent's still use... fox... ness... sonic...

the sooner everyone starts using A and S tier characres, with maybe some B tier the better :D.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol scott i dont care about wifi. ive faced plenty of people in offline tourneys who do the same thing over and over and its just stupid how much harder i have to work.

IMO, there can exist an enormous skill difference between someone who is simply hard to beat, and someone who is good at the game. Hence why attempting to judge any players 'skill' level is pointless, in a game as broken as brawl.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
wow. everyone teases shaya, no one cares, and then when i say something, im a bully. this is as stupid as saying brawl requires no skill. bring your skill-less game to me and ill quite happily crush it into the ground.

but like ted said, ive had this argument a 1000 times already. and it would seem that as time progresses, people are accepting brawl as a technical game. think about it, the games been over here for less than a year. how many people had mastered wavedashing and ken combos in that amount of time for melee? brawl is catching up, and new stuff (useful stuff) is still be discovered quite frequently. the only thing is that in brawl, most of it is very character specific, unlike the universal tecs in melee.

@djbrowny: 'attila' or i wont listen to anything you might have to say.

Zero

Smash Hero
Brawl's got too much depth that isn't technical that it makes technical lovers sore, and the people who main low tier characters are 'somehow' contempt, while the people who main high tier characters complain whilst their opponent's still use... fox... ness... sonic...

the sooner everyone starts using A and S tier characres, with maybe some B tier the better :D.
What a sad world that would be.

Please take your pseudo discussion into Brawl General, I'd rather see my thread dead than a host to this stupid debate.

The only reason Shaya is on the throne is that he's won both Hunter tournaments to date, and so I was considering naming the next series of tournaments the KSOTT series. But it seems that it's too much for some of you.

I'd love to see Shaya lose to Tickles though.

@Tim: I'll consider it. :p

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Zero... I don't think so...

Like half the cast is spread between B-S tier; that's god **** awesome. Think Melee tournaments. Who doesn't use Fox, Falco, Marth or Sheik? some randoms who are like FALCON PAWWWNCH! or people who don't care too much (this is a generalisation; people are using Jiggs, ICs, Peach...)

Anyway, yeah, this thread shouldn't have devolved into this. You're only allowed to tease Shaya if you're in the same region I hear (lololololol). Maybe you should have kept the next tournament name secret Zero? Unless you're planning on having it within the next 7 days or something; or you're planning on letting me get dethroned while I'm in the United States haha.

Zero

Smash Hero
I wish I could host another tournament in the next seven days, but alas, schoolwork. But for us lucky Novacastrians, I was thinking of maybe hosting local biweekly (twice a month) meets, finishing off with a small tournament. We could alternate between Sam's, TIm's and my places (don't hurt me Sam and Tim :D) for the venue, maybe have pizza as well. Tuesday nights would also be awesome.

But first I need my P's.

Grats Sam, you definitely deserved the win, better luck next time Gords.

@Shaya: But all of the characters that I like are C and under, ZSS aside. I wanna pick up Shiek, she's too fun, and I can cosplay it. lol.

Scott and I are actually planning a straggler tournament in Sydney while you guys are gone. We'll call it "Take Shaya's Throne While He's Gone!" TSTWHG... Not very pronouncable. I think I'll have to try it again.

Yay for disorganised posts.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Sheik is a B tier character.

Toby can atest to the fact that if you want to play Sheik as gayly as possible, you can do very well... (i.e. never do anything other than ftilt after some certain circumstances come about)... :p

Zero

Smash Hero
I prefer dsmash infinites on spacies 8)

I really feel like posting shoutouts from my tournament, but it feels so late and it'd look bad. Shoutouts aren't proper unless they're paragraphs per person :D

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
You should write shoutouts for a future tourney then.

I prefer walking into windows.

Zero

Smash Hero
**** you Ted, and your antilolz.

Hmm, shoutouts for a future tourney...

Tickles: Good show, good show, amazing job on beating Shaya, you really were megatraining in the labyrinths of Wollongong. It was a risky move picking Ganondorf in the final match, but it was definitely worth it. I hope you upload that video :DDD

Shaya: GF u tried.

That'll be the day...

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
I want to watch that match.

EDIT: Hey Andrew, don't forget those controllers tomorrow!

planetstereo

Smash Ace
Tickles: Good show, good show, amazing job on beating Shaya, you really were megatraining in the labyrinths of Wollongong. It was a risky move picking Random in the final match, but it was definitely worth it. I hope you upload that video :DDD

Shaya: GF u tried.

That'll be the day...
That WILL be the day......:p

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
This tourney needs to be renamed to SKOTT tbh.

I'm sure you could make that work somehow, Andrew. :3

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
truth, you cant be king of pause canceling either :)

guess your stuck with king of johns shaya.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
"I lose with ice climbers because grabbing people is hard", SORRY e_alert I didn't hear what you said after "King of" properly. Get back to me when you pull your finger out.

Shaya, King of the Tournaments -> KNOCK SHAYA OF THE THRONE.

(he's in the back of castle siege, really far away in the second transformation!)

Top Bottom