• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Hunter Valley Smash - Back in business!

Zero

Smash Hero
Hunter Valley

Stragglers from Sydney report in! This thread is dedicated to us Novacastrians and surrounding inhabitants who just aren't close enough to Sydney. Together, we hope to develop, establish and maintain our local scene enough to enjoy the Smash Bros. series in a competitive manner without extensive travel.

Current News:

Smash Valley tournaments are pending. Participate in the discussion now!

Past News:

All previous results can be accessed from: www.cushionfortress.net/HVresults.txt

SMAAAAASH-ers
:

kaleidoRuby
  • Brawl Main(s): Zero Suit Samus
  • Melee Main(s): none

S.D
  • Brawl Main(s): Pit, Meta Knight, Lucas, Diddy Kong, Random
  • Melee Main(s): Ice Climbers

Summoner
  • Brawl Main(s): Kirby, Dedede
  • Melee Main(s): Jigglypuff

Mi1oo

J Rum
  • Brawl Mains: Peach, Sheik, Toon Link
  • Melee Mains: Peach, Roy, Mewtwo

Melancholy
  • Brawl Mains: Game and Watch
  • Melee Mains: Peach

Tim - Honourary Novacastrian

• Melee Mains: The Doc.

EA - Honourary Novacastrian
  • Brawl Main(s): Ice Climbers
  • Melee Main(s): Falco, Peach

ORIGINAL POST said:
I was just wondering how many of you guys are from the Hunter Valley region of NSW? If so, state your region. I was interested in how many of you there really were since I've never encountered any other players through schooling or the internet.

I'm from Maitland.

Last edited:

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
I really doubt there will be many if not any...unless they are lurkers, most NSW peoples just stick to the Sydney Scene...

Gords

Smash Champion
i lift my hat off to you, i wouldnt be able to live out so far away from mainstream civilization and the main smash community. i live in campbelltown which in it self is just in what is considered sydney and i still wish i were closer.

Well at least you have good wines just round the corner over in the hunter region, LOL. I sell wines to some of the hunter wineries clients as my job.

S.D

Smash Master
Hey hey,

I was actually thinking of starting a thread to the same tune as this in all honesty.

I'm from Newcastle - Cardiff specifically - and there are 3 or 4 others i know of that have attended tournaments in Sydney which is the closest active smash scene.

I've not come across too many Hunter Valley smashers either but then i guess i've never really looked...

So any lurkers out there POST!! Maybe we could get something happening in the Hunter, otherwise - its not too bad getting a train to Sydney on the occassion for tournaments.

Anyways, I'm happy to help out if you ever want to organise something :)

Zero

Smash Hero
Oh sweet, Cardiff is nice and close, if we get enough respondants maybe we could organise a gathering. Let's hope not too many are from Singelton and Musellbrook and the like. >.>

S.D

Smash Master
Don't mention the S and M words... having to go out there for rugby every year is bad enough =.=

Some Hunter meets would be fun - but for tournaments Sydney is probably still the go.

It's nice to finally see some more local smashers! Fingers crossed there are more to come.

S.D

Smash Master
There probably are, but chances are many of them aren't on smashboards - or they're not 'serious' players.

It would be nice to stumble on some new local faces though, Sydney's too far for meets/bi-weeklies.

Dedu

Smash Lord
It would be nice to stumble on some new local faces though, Sydney's too far for meets/bi-weeklies.
You can say that to Tom as well. He lives at Wollongong/Ulladulla

Zero

Smash Hero
Hey hey,
I'm from Newcastle - Cardiff specifically - and there are 3 or 4 others i know of that have attended tournaments in Sydney which is the closest active smash scene.
I only just noticed this, I think it would be a good idea if you got these other people to join this site and post on this thread, because another three people is quite a lot more and would definitely justify a meet.

S.D

Smash Master
One of them is already on smashboards - Jellyhead- (but is also my brother so knows about this thread). I have another brother who plays and the rest I'm in pretty close contact with. If there were to be meets they would know about them. I think I may peer pressure them into signing up anyways. I can actually think of a couple of others who would probably come along but they're much more casual/average players.

Zero

Smash Hero
Well casual players can be turned into a pro with the right inspiration. I've got a few friends who I've convinced to start playing at a higher level, who were both previously average players, so the more people like that, the better.

DanAU

Smash Rookie
Dan here.. not sure why I signed up, but I did. I'm not a serious player, but you guys already know that. I would love to get some stuff happening though, I'm sure we could probably find more people.

S.D

Smash Master
Is that a threat? lol

What about people's FC's? Proximity may = less lag? I'm 0860-4845-5910 (there is a thread for this but this is easier).

Just in case you haven't yet, check CAO's 'proposal in draft' thread regarding online tournament qualifiers for a national event, you may or may not be interested.

Well casual players can be turned into a pro with the right inspiration. I've got a few friends who I've convinced to start playing at a higher level, who were both previously average players, so the more people like that, the better.
"Pro" is a VERY high standard. Pro's are people like m2k and PC Chris.

I do applaud your initiative in getting people more deeply involved in the meta game, thats always a positive and it's great to play aginst decent human opponents.

(Don't worry, I'm not a jerk, I'm just being facetious with the pro stuff :))

Zero

Smash Hero
My bad, I didn't mean pro as in that calibur, shouldn't have used that word. An online tournament really isn't my thing, I have a terrible connection with most people and meeting new people would be a highlight lost in online bouts.
I think we should organise a meet sometime in the middle of August or September. Just before September would be great as to alleviate pre-exam stress. :D Would you prefer renting out a hall somewhere in Newcastle or just using someones house? I think a hall would be more suitable for everyone.

S.D

Smash Master
My bad, I didn't mean pro as in that calibur, shouldn't have used that word. An online tournament really isn't my thing, I have a terrible connection with most people and meeting new people would be a highlight lost in online bouts.
I think we should organise a meet sometime in the middle of August or September. Just before September would be great as to alleviate pre-exam stress. :D Would you prefer renting out a hall somewhere in Newcastle or just using someones house? I think a hall would be more suitable for everyone.
Whatever works for everyone, depends on the numbers too i suppose - but defo a good idea.

Haha yeah i knew what you meant, I was just being sarcastic, jocular, facetious etc.

I hear you about online - its not ideal, but if you can get through the online rounds the rest of the tournament is offline. State finals Sydney and Nationals in Melbourne. Keep checking the Sydney thread too for any tournaments.

Dedu

Smash Lord
OMG i never really been to Newcastle. If there's a smash meet I'd be happy to go up there and look round the place <3

S.D

Smash Master
Aw, wub for Stu!

I'd be honoured to give you the grand tour - we have beaches... some more beaches... oh and Nobbys!

Wait - thats a beach too...

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
Anyone know of a place in the Hunter Valley that's fairly cheap and hires out rooms? (this is before the google search)

To any Sydney based people reading this, is there a chance of people down there showing up to a gathering? I'm trying to see the potential number of people coming to such an event (If there is such an event)

S.D

Smash Master
Anyone know of a place in the Hunter Valley that's fairly cheap and hires out rooms? (this is before the google search)

To any Sydney based people reading this, is there a chance of people down there showing up to a gathering? I'm trying to see the potential number of people coming to such an event (If there is such an event)
Not off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure there are places, some local church halls are often happy to cater for such things.

As for numbers, off the top of my head I can think of at least 10 that I know of, plus anyone else who's keen. I think there would be enough interest.

Stu - Think phallic symbol - VERY phallic

DanAU

Smash Rookie
Plus that tower down on the foreshore. You know the one.
Haha, that reminds me of a story. Some tourists came up to my dad and asked where some St was, and he said "oh it's up further, near the big *****", their reaction would have been gold.

Dedu, that would be cool if you came. Other consoles/pokemon/whatever would be swish too.

Does the PCYC sound like an alright spot, only disadvantage is it's a bit of a walk to nearest food place, which would probably be maccas. If it did happen, I can bring 4x GC controllers, and a GC for melee if there isn't enough wiis. Summoner just needs to get the price, and I think whatever time you choose it should suit me, I think I have exams in august/early september.

Matters the ages and grades the people coming are in. And the more the merrier.

S.D

Smash Master
Ah PCYC is a good idea, and maccas is pretty close in relative terms.

Doesn't really matter to me when it is, (so long as I'm not in the snow) my course at uni doesn't even have exams.

S.D

Smash Master
People still keen for the Hunter meets?

Also - everyone sign up for the gotgames national circuit when the time comes - so all us hunter people can play each other IRL rather than with horrible lag online. Tell everyone - anything is better than online and if there are competitors in the Hunter we won't have to travel as far.

xeno

Smash Ace
In the SST, I suggested the SST(hread) have a list of locations, followed by players and contact info in the first post to help players find each other.

Zero

Smash Hero
Yeah SD, I'm still planning to organise a meet later, but it'll be about 4 weeks due to me hosting an exchange student at the moment.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
17th right? I might be able to if I can talk my parents into it. Most probably no though :(

Kangatang

Smash Rookie
Hey there

I live in the Newcastle area as well (kotara), and i'm honestly surprised that theres even this many people who play brawl in the hunter to this degree.

A little too busy for a meet right now but it's good to know that y'all are out there.

S.D

Smash Master
Aha! More Novocastrians.

Keep in mind there are loads more smashers who just don't post :)

Looks like numbers are reasonable after all

DanAU

Smash Rookie
Kotara? Nice, I am located pretty close to there.

Like between Kotara and Charlestown.

Good to know there's some locals into this sort of stuff.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
Yay! Oh, that video further up is from a brawl meet Zero_ had on the 3rd.

What's everyone expecting to be in these hunter meets?

Top Bottom