• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Hunter Valley Smash - Back in business!

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
lol the 12th actually works out really well for me by the looks of it, if I get the time off work that'll be right before I come down to Sydney to chill and get my skills back up.
can anyone host me? I'm fun to host cause I shout my host's dinner.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
<3 Hunter tourney

Sounds like it's going to be a huge success.
@Tedeth: Egg KO's result in bonus eggs for all

Tim, let's have a GH3 rematch there if we get the chance :D (although I don't really remember who I was playing at your meet)

I'll put myself down for 2 or 3 TVs, Wii, Brawl and Melee

Jazz77vivi

Smash Journeyman
There's only one minor set-back...

the hall is next door to a church, and therefore is owned by the church.
Now, i do know the person who owns it, and there shouldn't be any real issues, except...

It's Easter Sunday, there's a likelyhood that the hall may be in use (i will clarify this within the next few days) and if it isn't church still finishes at 9-9.30-ish, so we'd have to probably wait untilthen to get in

That's all ifs and buts though, probably wont happen

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
just make lots of references about how you die in the game, but 3 stocks later you come back to life (wait what?)
also if snake had a beard he would be jesus

Zero

Smash Hero
That would be a worst case sceranio. So by mass opinion, the 12th it is. I'll start organising things with JRum and such. But now the debate lies whether or not we play Melee and Brawl, or just Brawl. Just Brawl would allow a double round robin, with an approximated 600 games in total played, with everyone playing everyone twice (with 25 people in attendance). Of course, that's just a projection based on who has travel history (ACT adds like 5 to the list lol), but the essence is the same. If both Melee and Brawl were there, our our resources would be divided (ideally equally) between Melee and Brawl, slowing both events down.

SO

Poll: Melee and Brawl, or just Brawl?

Reasons for Brawl: much larger prize pot for Brawl, more games for everyone.
Reasons for Melee: It's Melee.

Gords

Smash Champion
well the 26th would suit me better, but i will see what i can do about the 12th. if i can convince mum and the family to celebrate easter on the saturday i will be good to go.

swordsaint

Smash Master
ugh, right, that whole lets celebrate fake magical bunnies which hand out chocolate eggs thing. I might have to run away for a day. :p

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
ugh, right, that whole lets celebrate fake magical bunnies which hand out chocolate eggs thing. I might have to run away for a day. :p
more like the whole hey lets take some religion's most sacred day and turn it into some ****ty commercial money scam and defile the importance of the day.
dont you love corparations

Zero

Smash Hero
I sure do. It means the religious driving force in my home is out to work, leaving Easter to itself and us to Smash.

Dedu

Smash Lord
I wub bunnies too <3

Lets go to the center of the Earth where the eggs are claimed to be made, according to Cadbury's chocobunnies. Nom nom nom.
Creme eggs, here I come!

S.D

Smash Master
I would like to see melee involved. May attract more interest also.

I'm not a huge fan of the double round robin unless it's a particularly small tournament (which it may end up being) but otherwise it seems quite difficult to co-ordinate and run efficiently. Atm I'm enjoying the pools to double elim system, which gives everyone a fair chance and a good number of tournament matches. Swiss is another good system.

Just my thoughts.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
swiss is better than pools, for instance at teds tourney jambo, who is a good player and should have made it to the top 16, didn't because he got a pool with someone I cant remember, shaya and meteor, that is the flaw with pools, its not always balanced.

Zero

Smash Hero
A round robin is incredibly streamlined, with a preset order of matches. I've created a program that automatically creates the drawsheet for n amount of players, which means that when coordinated with the number of TVs that we have, we can have every match in a single round robin (ideally) done before lunchtime. It's a tossup between a single round robin in both Melee and Brawl, a double round robin in Brawl, or Swiss in both. I'm leaning towards single for both, which means it will probably be a single in both.

But I'm 100% certain that the round robin will give everyone their bang for their buck, getting to play against every player attending, twice at least. When the tournament is all the way in the Hunter Valley, you want to be playing as much Smash as possible.

Top x players go into a double elim bracket, as per usual.

Swiss would mean everyone plays the same amount of games, but not against everyone.

Also a quick question for those who answer in the next 4 hours or so, prize pot of 70/20/10 or 60/30, or for just the top 2? I'm new to actual prize distribution and I don't want to break the general consensus, so 8)

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
The main reason 1-pool RR doesn't see widespread use is, like tedeth hinted at, because it's inefficient timewise.

Double RR is ********. There's no point having a second RR when the first one already perfectly states who the best players are and in what order. It just wastes time. Two games with single RR each just... allows us to play both games. Nothing else changes in terms of overall number of games played, accuracy of results, etc. etc.

My vote goes to Melee. I also vote 60/30/10 for more balanced prizes. :3

Also I think for future tourneys, we should start with crews matches right off the bat. That way, there's no chance of some people holding up crews because they're stuck in a tourney match.

Zero

Smash Hero
The main reason 1-pool RR doesn't see widespread use is, like tedeth hinted at, because it's inefficient timewise.

Double RR is ********. There's no point having a second RR when the first one already perfectly states who the best players are and in what order. It just wastes time. Two games with single RR each just... allows us to play both games. Nothing else changes in terms of overall number of games played, accuracy of results, etc. etc.

My vote goes to Melee. I also vote 60/30/10 for more balanced prizes. :3

Also I think for future tourneys, we should start with crews matches right off the bat. That way, there's no chance of some people holding up crews because they're stuck in a tourney match.
Playing 1-pool RR, given the correct amount of resources, can turn out to be as fast, if not faster than pools. Say you have 12 TV's for a tournament of 24, so each round of 12 is completed within a cycle. Each cycle will take around 6 to 10 minutes, including time to record scores. Since the match draw for a round robin is easily calculable and maintained, you can efficiently start playing a new match each cycle. With 24 people, there would be 272 games, with everyone playing everyone. With 12 games being played every, let's say, 10 minutes, will have the round robin done in < 5 hours, ideally. With only singles events to take care of at this tournament, it seems ideal.

I can empathise with Tedeth since he hosted doubles as well, which rationalised his decision, but since I am deciding against doubles, this is much more ideal.

Crew matches at the start is a good idea and should not take more than 2 hours.

EDIT: Double RR is for fun. If someone was coming out here to play Smash, ,it's a given that they actually want to play Smash, since they travelled all this way. The double RR is a way to provide that.

Dedu

Smash Lord
true that.

swiss gets more intense the longer it goes as you verse closer to your level players though.

S.D

Smash Master
Well it sounds like you've thought it out pretty well so I'm sure whatever you decide to go with will turn out fine.

All systems are good in different ways.

No doubles huh? :(

70/20/10 maybe?

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
inb4 all those likely to win voting on 70/20/10.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel.
What he said. Protip: you're not going to get one TV for every two people. Ever.

Playing 1-pool RR, given the correct amount of resources, can turn out to be as fast, if not faster than pools.
You're high.

Honestly I have no problem with you running 1-pool RR, but when it comes to which system is more efficient, there really is no discussion.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
if you set up a round robin the default way on tio you play 2 rounds when you verse someone so you dont really need a double round robin do you?
I guess you really need to see how many tv's you can get, if I come I can bring at least 1 tv and a wii,
also you should totally keep doubles.

Gords

Smash Champion
My 2 cents

I would prefer the 12th over the 26th.

Swiss or tedeths style pools, then have a top cut.

Both melée and brawl to be played.

Crews first then singles. Only have doubles if time permits.

Well that's what I have to say. But it is up to you zero these are just my opinions.

@ SD
How high do I rank on your coolometer?

Top Bottom