• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Hunter Valley Smash - Back in business!

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
lol tim. I always found too many mains/seconds to be ridiculous. Who the heck puts that much focus into so many characters?

Brawl: Ice Climbers, Diddy Kong, Kirby and Marth.
Melee: Ice Climbers, Falco and Marth.
Smash 64: Nobody/Everybody.

Someone update my details, Girl was too dumb to get it right the first time. D:

Zero

Smash Hero
**** it guys, rainy day dates are the most expensive ****ing thing in the world, my bank balance is sucked dry. Half of it is because I felt guilty about not buying a Valentine present, but STILL. ****.

Meet on the 1st of March is in conception. Also Animania March discussion kickstart now!

Dedu

Smash Lord
SD: you're not alone with having tooo many chars.

Zero - valentines day is really a marketing scam designed by hallmark and co to suck your money dry as much as possible by attempting to convince you all is not lost in such and such relationship.

...Yeah and most girls go gaga over that day </3

Zero

Smash Hero
It's so true. ;-; My entire week's pay went into Valentines Day related activities. And a little bit of food. In Japan it's a scam by the chocolate industry, in Australia, it's a scam by EVERY industry.

unreon

Smash Ace
What's wrong with a little spending if you're having fun with your significant other?

Valentines is wonderful and exciting where everyone around you are sharing stories and tales of romancing around. It's a whole boatload of happiness bottled in a single day =)

S.D

Smash Master
What's wrong with a little spending if you're having fun with your significant other?

Valentines is wonderful and exciting where everyone around you are sharing stories and tales of romancing around. It's a whole boatload of happiness bottled in a single day =)
I feel so alone right now :(

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Like play Brawl.

Haha, I think the point was that it was more than just a little spending. xD

Marketing scams, begone!

Jazz77vivi

Smash Journeyman
**** it guys, rainy day dates are the most expensive ****ing thing in the world, my bank balance is sucked dry. Half of it is because I felt guilty about not buying a Valentine present, but STILL. ****.

Meet on the 1st of March is in conception. Also Animania March discussion kickstart now!

Valentines day is totally a scam... dont support it (or Woolworths by buying their crappy Valentines Day crap) (I work there, incase you cant tell)

Yes, a Meet in HV is in conception for March 1st... we trust you Zero! lol

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
Poor Hunter Valley, it seems as though Andrew's general sleepiness is spreading. I guess someone has to wa-Zzzzzzz.

Zero

Smash Hero
A Proposition

So I've been talking to JRum and he's offered the possibility of a dirt cheap hall ($20-40 for the day) for meets and tournaments. The hall is in a perfect location, being a 5 minute walk from the train station, across the road from IGA and having enough room for twenty+ people, as well as facilities. But of course, HV doesn't have 20 people.

SO

NSW Smash, please discuss the possibility of you traversing on these two dates, and maybe disclose whether or not you can bring equipment.
  • 12th April
  • 26th April

Both of these dates are Sunday, and the first one is on the Easter weekend, so please tell me if you can't make either or both of these dates.

Just to clarify, the tournament would be a double round robin tournament, with the top n players going into a double elimination bracket, similar to Tedeth's singles. Doubles take too much time, but if we can get crews done swiftly in the morning, if enough complete crews show up, we should be ready to leave by 5pm, starting at 10am. Entry fee would be either $10 or $15, leaning towards $10 because I'm sympathetic of your travel costs. Both Melee and Brawl would be hosted as well.

Discuss.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
26th of April sounds so pro that I might magically turn 20 two days before the tourney!

Seriously though, I'm liking it. I will surely go.

Since I already talked to you on IRC about this, it's mainly for the record, but... I WILL be able to bring 1TV and 1Wii, and IF I get a lift I will ALSO be able to bring 2TVs and 1GCN. So best case scenario, 3TVs and 2 consoles.

$10 entry is a good price IMO, not too little and not too expensive.

The venue cost is pretty orgasmic.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Hmm, sounds good. I'm interested. Advanced notice is also good.

Also, round robin eh?

Zero

Smash Hero
Yeah, a round robin ensures:
  • A high number of games for every competitor, ensuring they get value for their trip down.
  • Much more efficient tournament structure. Games can be scheduled with a simple algorithm, and depending on the number of stations, will allow quick rotation and may even allow each player to play everyone else twice or even three times.

Because Sydney people have to adhere to a strict train schedule, round robin is the most timely way to play maximum amounts of matches while retaining organisation and the best way to ensure that people will play a lot of Smash, with possibilities of more to 150 actual games being played.

So yeah, round robin. :D

S.D

Smash Master
Ah Andrew I knew you'd pull through :)

Of course I'll do my best to make this regardless of the date. Also I'd probably be willing to host a few people if they
a) Need to stay
b) reach a high enough level on my coolometer.

Gords

Smash Champion
definately interested but won't know for sure until later this month. If I go I will have my wii.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
no doubles? :( normally doubles is just a double elim bracket and the matches are quicker (even though theres 4 people in them) and less matches are played due to teams, doubles always go the quickest.
my 2 cents, anyways I'll prob's show up to this.

Zero

Smash Hero
If there was enough interest, I was planning to have tournaments on both of those days, since the Easter weekend would potentially be unavailable for most people.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
Ah Andrew I knew you'd pull through :)

Of course I'll do my best to make this regardless of the date. Also I'd probably be willing to host a few people if they
a) Need to stay
b) reach a high enough level on my coolometer.
if i go im staying at your house samantha

edit: imo just have one tournament as that will give it more prestige and not many people will be willing to travel so far twice in such a short period of time, also make entry fee 15$ to ensure great prizes or even 20 10 for brawl 10 for melee

tkls

Smash Apprentice
non easter and im definately gonna be there. not 2 though, cos a large percentage of people will be sydney and beyond, and there would be few going twice in such a short length of time

S.D

Smash Master
if i go im staying at your house samantha

edit: imo just have one tournament as that will give it more prestige and not many people will be willing to travel so far twice in such a short period of time, also make entry fee 15$ to ensure great prizes or even 20 10 for brawl 10 for melee
Good point well made.

I think 1 tourney would be better also. We should all go wine tasting too :)

Yeah you'd probably just scrape into the acceptable range on the coolometer.

Top Bottom