• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Hunter Valley Smash - Back in business!

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
I am sitting in my lounge room under an air conditioner (old) and STILL sweating. I should go some smash too and try to get drillrest working better.

Tim is playing summer without items, just like Falcon would.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
moreliek wall tech into a FALCON SWIM

There's also a thunderstorm around Kurri so I hope you don't plan on swimming long

Zero

Smash Hero
Hunter Hot Squad is accepting crew challenges! The only condition is that we start playing at exactly 1pm on the hottest day of the week. Outside. Will discuss all responses in PM.

But really, today was horrible. Especially at work. Stand outside for a few seconds and you start sweating. I am so thankful I don't play tennis anymore, or I'd be playing in that heat. Those were bad times. :( 6 hours in 43 degree heat is no good.

Is it true that SD gave up Brawl? :(

@tcranter, as long as your meet is on a Sunady, definitely there.

S.D

Smash Master
Well never playing would make you worse than not playing, regardless of the form.
Wrong.

Playing ****ty wifi gets you into ****ty wifi habits so when you play offline you use ****ty online tactics and get your face stomped in.

I only play brawl a tournaments and that seems to work just fine.

isthattim?

Smash Ace

Just putting this out there:

IMO we should start a super12 type Crew tournament we could have crews from all the major smash playing Areas in NSW:

Hunter
Gong
Hornsby
Western Syd.
Syd.
ACT.
etc.

With possibly 2 or more teams from each region if they have excess smashers e.g. A team, Bteam etc. We could have a small buy in for each crew, like $10 a tourney and at the end of the year or after six months or something we could have a big finals tourney with a big **** off pot for the winners.

i'm not sure how we'll organise it just yet, but i was thinking each tourney where two crews are present they can have a match, points are awarded to the winner and deducted from the loser based on how many stocks the winner has left. This then determines the top 4 (or 2) crews for the final tournament match.

Basically, it'll be opportunistic i.e. if two crews are at the same place at the same time they can have a match and record the results into a dedicated thread that will keep track of each crews ratings to determine the finalists at the end of the season

I would be willing to do most of the organising and tracking if we get enough interest going.

Needless to say there will be seperate melee and brawl competitions if that is the general consensus, or alternately we can have a combined system.

If i get some positive feedback, we can discuss the rules/system in more detail and i'll do a big detailed write up at the start of a new dedicated thread

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
Nice idea Tim. Should probably repost it into another thread. I doubt everyone will see it here.

Dedu

Smash Lord
Good idea Timmy!
SD, Kulla/Pat, Combo, Unreon..

I can see this happening <3

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Good idea, though there will be people against, I like the sound of the combined system, as it determines the best group of Smashers rather than "Brawlers" or "Melee..ers".

Zero

Smash Hero
Combined system, if done properly, would be fantastic. Having a place for everyone is a good idea for scene development. Plus, if we do it, we can be the final host region or some **** like that. :D

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
That's an interesting idea, Tim. I'm not sure how a combined system would work, but if it could, that would be sweet as. Crew standoffs GOGOGO!

Also another interesting thought: Crew Teams. I'd like to see that attempted, although it would obviously require large numbers.

unreon

Smash Ace
If Western Sydney and Eastern Sydney are split, then I are doomed.

Eastern Sydney has Jaz Pat and Kulla all in one go! So cheap.

Western Sydney calls in Woxy for reinforcements!

isthattim?

Smash Ace
Of course the geographical divides are only theoretical, e.g if you live in wollongong but <3 S.D you might join the hunter crew ;) I was thinking as long as 3 crew members are present you can bring in a "ringer" and it will still count towards the ratings as getting 4 people in one tourney at one time might be difficult.

I think that this crew type system is the way to bring competitiveness into the scene with a monetary reward, $2-$5 each and a we could raise enough for some serous money come finals time, plus it takes out the good day/bad day aspect of tournaments, if you go well all year you get a good rating and get in the top 2/4 for the finals with a guaranteed payoff

edit: as for the combined aspect, i thought crews could have different brawl and melee ratings with the combined rating determining the outcome at finals time, a really good melee crew could go average at melee and get in the top 4 and a really good brawl crew could go average in brawl and still get in the top 4

Zero

Smash Hero
Let's have hybrid crews. Brawl+Melee love. As for who's actually in the crews, I'm speaking to the Hunter here, but we should have a selection event to choose who's in the crew/s. Would be a good excuse to have a tournament too.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Hybrid crews are a crap idea. Enjoy your ****e crews.

Tim's idea is pro. Separate braw/mely crews with averaged ratings for the region is great. It allows us to determine the region which has the best collection of both brawlers and melee-ers, while at the same time not excluding those who aren't good at both games. :3

isthattim?

Smash Ace
like i said the geographical diides only sere to unite local smashers, they arent the be all and end all of crew selection, any crew of four could register. its just a matter of being together enough to meet the quota of battles needed to qualify for the finals.

e.g. if you choose to team with shaya, cao and cobalt, you will actually need to be together enough to actiely participate in the competition. if you dont get enough battles in you won't participate in the finaqls

p.s why won't my v ****ing work

isthattim?

Smash Ace
Preliminary crew league season will start march if there is enough interest generated in a dedicated thread i will soon start for the league. This preliminary season will operate under a no-rating/ no handicap system and will be used to rank and assess crews for the upcoming season.
cash Prizes will be for top 3 crews with the 3rd place being reimbursed for all registration costs
non-cash prizes will be given to members of the last crew

I WILL PERSONALLY DONATE $300 OF ADDITIONAL PRIZE MONEY/ PRIZES TO GET THIS THING ROLLING.

The season will only go ahead if we meet a quota of 6 crews attending all three monthlys

The registration costs will be either $40 or $60 per crew per monthly

so 6 crews at $40 per montlhy = $720 + 300

$1020 in prize money

120 for 3rd place
600 for first 300 for second

thats $110 per crew member above what they outlaid. This is in comparison to the $60 that first place received at teddies tourney ($45 for second place compared to $30 and 0 for third place compared to -$5)

Of course and increased registration fee or increase in crew numbers will increase the pot but my $300 will remain stagnant.

ground rules: I Will not be able to organise tourneys. end of discussion. This will piggyback off tourneys that others organise.

Win lots off battles to get into the finals. Top 3 go into the finals

A dedicated thread will be made later.
The rule set and organisation for the actual upcoming season (6-8 months of monthlys?) will be discussed in said thread

quoted since this is where it all started

Once again crew with whoever the **** you want, as long as you're confident they will turn up :)

Zero

Smash Hero
I actually haven't seen EA since that meet so he hasn't had a chance to give me those DVDs for me to upload. Little more patience! :(

Mi1oo

Smash Apprentice
Somebody host a tournamentor get to gether in the Hunter valley. I'm keen as for a get to gether havn't got to play anyone since tedeths tourey.

S.D

Smash Master
I'd do something...

But I cbf.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We should look into hiring a community hall in either Sth Cardiff or Edgeworth for a tournament sometime. Bigger entry fee = bigger prize = better tournout. Something to mull over. Andrew might host a meet someday if we're lucky.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(in honour of CS - what happened to that guy?)

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
I would host but my new house is smaller than my last.

When was the last Hunter meet anyway? Tim's meet?

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
Oh sure if it means not being bored and smashing. I'd like some melee too :3

Zero

Smash Hero
@Tom: It was my secret welcome home from Japan party that we didn't even play smash at. BLASPHEMY, right?

@Hunter: Going to ask school about the free hire of buildings on Sundays. Wednesday hire will be pretty lonely, with the bare minimum of people being available, but if it is actually allowed, we have a great tournament location that will maximise the prize pot. Close to station, close to food, space and electricity for use. But if that plan fails, I guess we need to find some shack with a few power points. Because hall hire around here is ridiculous. I did some research and most places are about $15 an hour. Not counting church halls, didn't look into them quite yet. If school plan fails then that is next option.

@SD: Wanna crew with us? :3

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Tom - The last "meet" was me going over your place lol. Excluding that, Tim's place yes.

Andrew should arrange something like biweeklies.

Sydney needs moar Chicken Salad. Haven't seen that guy in ages. ;_;

Top Bottom