• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Boost: REBOOT - Sunday, the 11th of September 2011

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
well its not like his sheik will be able to beat either you or ricky anyway toby

edit- god**** it scabe what have I said about wifi

tedeth

Smash Master
Low tier is ok. But having 3 singles tourneys and eliminating pools is kinda lame.

How about instead of running low tier and mid tier in one day, since you say you'll be running tourneys almost bi-weekly, run one each time. One can be mid tier, then the next can be low tier, then just alternate.

Also swiss has some fundamental flaws when people have to be told like 30 times to play their game.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
no shaya I dont want your excuses, low tier is fine and all, but did you have to go and put shiek in there (defeating the whole point of it in the first place) just so you could have a chance at winning? its so fundamentally flawed, you think your all smart and mature and then you roll out with **** like this?
and I the only one who has a serious problem with this? why do we let this guy run our stuff?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Both my scheduling and the venues have disallowed me to run biweeklies continually. But I still try to host as many as possible.
Weekday tournaments did not have enough support. And definitely wont now that Summer holidays are clearly over for high schoolers and the end for Uni-goers is about 2 weeks away.

How often I run tier tournaments isnt determined yet either.
And this probably wont be too serious a tournament; I may have to cut some of the pot depending on how much trophies will cost for Thriller (as well as other things).
The system is meant to give more opportunities to various players to express their skills in the game, fundamentally it weakens the top players because, well, they are already guaranteed top placements otherwise with their generally higher tier-ed characters. It gives players the opportunity to use more characters in tournaments, and still ends up giving them the same amount of matches in a day.

A player dedicated to a lower/mid tier main is given a healthy option of still using their main effectively whilst being able to use another character in other tiers.
e.g. Scabe says he will be trying out Marth in high tier!

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Sheik-low thing is stupid. Solo Sheik> Zelda+Sheik.

Ted, that same flaw you mention in swiss also exists in pools, when one guy could be holding up 5 others at once. Also applies to double elim in many cases too.

Shaya: Ted's other idea of running a full tournament for each on different dates isn't so bad an idea. Only issue I have with that is the numbers you could guarantee for a low tier tourney being the main attraction. =/

EDIT: Scabe, why use Marth in high? You can still play Link so why the hell not?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Fine fine, Sheiks out of low.
I like listening to Toby and Ricky :).
Double standards for people who I consider normal and mature again, by the way, Luke.

Now Luke, to address your particular problem with me:
I hate to say this, as you help bridge the gap between the ACT and Sydney scenes by transporting good, active and community oriented players as well as TVs. But beyond that as an individual you seem to bring nothing else but trolling, spam and attempt to insight HATRED on others. You hurt our WHOLE COMMUNITY with your ****.

The real question Luke is, not why do you guys let me run this stuff, but why are you still in this community?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
see you think your clever but you dont even realize that putting sheik in low like that defeated the purpose of this

"The system is meant to give more opportunities to various players to express their skills in the game, fundamentally it weakens the top players because, well, they are already guaranteed top placements otherwise with their generally higher tier-ed characters. It gives players the opportunity to use more characters in tournaments, and still ends up giving them the same amount of matches in a day."

and lol
Double standards for people who I consider normal and mature again, by the way, Luke.
yeah your absoulutly right, you consider yourself normal and mature, so you have double standards for yourself

also scabes marth is pretty good, infact scabe can pretty much beat me with every character except link

tedeth

Smash Master
Nah but pools is like "Oh no 1 person hasn't played their matches. Oh well at least it's only 1 person"

Swiis is like "Oh no 1 perosn hasn't played their match so now NOBODY CAN PLAY MATCHES!!!!"

Shaya and Luke stop the lover's quarrell. Everyone needs to chill out.

EDIT: How ironic that I'm saying this...

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Yes but if one person hasn't played their 5 matches then its 5 people who haven't played that one other person, who now has to play each onnnnnne by onnnnnne. In swiss sure it stops everyone else from playing but its probably no less time consuming. Since its only one match that needs to be made.

Anyways this miniature debate over the two is stupid because I prefer pools to begin with. =P

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
More like, "oh no 1 person hasn't played their matches, now we have to wait for that 1 person to sequentially play 10+ games before the pool is complete/death pool can start/bracket can start."

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
lol, the death pool was the stupidest longest waste of time. It eliminated 2 people after more than 30 minutes. Could have been sorted out with about 2 minutes of careful decision making.

tedeth

Smash Master
Also another issue that I have with Swiss is that the top players on the day always end up playing eachother early which lowers hype for finals.

Also I had this real bad experience one time where we all had to play like 40 games of swiss...

Edit: Yeah death pool sucked, but was kind of funny.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Also another issue that I have with Swiss is that the top players on the day always end up playing eachother early which lowers hype for finals.
Alright, that point definitely wins me over. Play them in swiss and you know who will likely win finals. =/

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Now Luke, to address your particular problem with me:
I hate to say this, as you help bridge the gap between the ACT and Sydney scenes by transporting good, active and community oriented players as well as TVs. But beyond that as an individual you seem to bring nothing else but trolling, spam and attempt to insight HATRED on others. You hurt our WHOLE COMMUNITY with your ****.

The real question Luke is, not why do you guys let me run this stuff, but why are you still in this community?
I am saying this because MOST OF THE COMPLAINTS I HEAR from people in various ways/shape/form are either relating to:
a) The trolling
b) The spam
c) The hate

I am happy to address what other complaints people have, including those of myself, if they wish to bring them up with me personally or through someone else (there are various others who are generally friendly to EVERYONE who would pass on the issue). However, I dont feel that I can accept you under just about ANY standard of maturity EVER because of the three things I listed above.
If people have an issue with RULES or whats on offer, that is one thing that can be addressed properly - but I am personally trying to address what Im hearing as problems on a constant and consistant basis that affect the community.
I know you have said to others what you generally think about me running tournaments, and I have considered some of the things Ive heard, just for your information. Plus you dont help me in any way in tournaments beyond what others can do, in fact you hinder me in wanting to run the tournament.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
its just that you make so many dumb avoidable decisions, I dont troll all that much, I dont spam much either, its pretty much all hate, but at least its got purpose and an underlying message, you simply dont like me telling you your wrong, I dont think anyone else in the community has a problem with it, if they do they shouldnt be afraid to speak up, but its basically a nessacary evil thats needed to keep things in check.

like it or not, your stuck with me buddy

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Shaya - Just to answer Luke's question, I honestly don't have a problem with you running our tournaments. You've made some silly decisions (eg death pool), but it's all worked out in the end so it's nothing I can't forgive you for.

Ted - Then... seed Swiss better I guess? Badly-seeded brackets/pools/etc have the same issue, maybe not to the degree of other formats, but in reality each style has its own trade-offs. Every Swiss experience I've had, ever (both inside and outside of smash), has been satisfactory; I can't say the same about pools or elimination. Just saying, IMO the bad points aren't bad enough to stop us trying the format with our current scene at least once. I'll leave it at that.

tedeth

Smash Master
In Luke's defense, Shaya does do some dumb ****.

In Shaya's defense, Luke does rage at everyone.

But in Luke's defense, alot of people deserve to be raged at.

But in Shaya's defense.... nah I've got nothing left.

In my defense, I'm very tired...

EDIT: EA do you even know how Swiss works?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
oh by the way I should point out that even though death pools were his idea, he only did them because I hasseled him about the unfair bias'ness (lol not even a word) of him simply picking wildcards because then rather then the top 4 next best players going through it would have been 'shayas top 4 favorites'

so blame me too I guess

also I really enjoyed swiss back when we used to use it

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Ignoring the obvious sarcasm - Yes, I do. >.>

It should not be that hard to at least avoid having the best players play each other early on.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I see most of the underlying messages as:
I am going to cause more ****storms for the community (and as a result make it even more awkward for new/old/etc players to post on a regular basis).

You have my msn luke. A lot of people tell their issues privately. Your style is just plainly the wrong way to do it. And I like people telling me Im wrong. But if anyone else was to try in your style Id feel their opinions were void as well.

...Ellipsis...

Smash Lord
I like the idea of three tournaments at the same time, also sheik aka. forward tilt would be pretty broken in low.

Sieg

Smash Champion
So I read this.

Then I went back a page and read that you were complaining about apparent tier list fixing for tier tournaments.

Then I loled because I remembered back when Syke would seed himself into an easy run or he'd fix brackets.

Then I laughed even more because this is piss weak compared to it.

Then I frowned at stupid trolling/rage.

Then I ate some M&M's even though I'm on a slight diet (which I don't even need really, I just need muscle mass excersizes.)

Then I agreed with myself that you guys are too high strung, and need to mellow out a bit.

Then I thought about what to post next.

Then I raged and headbutted some controllers.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Oh, since I can still use Link in top tier's I might as well use him. :link:

I thought you had to use those characters in each category. Oh well, at least I can try Jiggs for the Never used. :jigglypuf

S.D

Smash Master
yehuzz

he just wants a chance at winning in all three.

so he has marth/METAKNIGHT in high, dedede in mid and sheik in low.

shaya you sly dog

acting like not being able to switch to zelda will affect anything at all. lol.

especially since the character rankings list have them at mid pretty much entirely due to sheik....

and because sheik is the one with good matchups against most of the cast.

lolshaya
Dw he tried that last time but he ended up getting ***** anyways.

Rad

Smash Ace
This tournament will be running what is known as the TIER TOURNAMENT SYSTEM for singles. Which has the final results worked out by the best performance over three events (High Tier, Middle Tier and Low Tier).
I've never heard of the 'tier tournament system' before. Could someone explain it please? Like, is it three separate tourneys run at the same time? Will there be pools?

Oh, and what are the easiest low and mid tier characters to learn quickly? I haven't put much time into any character besides Marth. D=

Top Bottom