• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I didn't say anyone did right now, I just used the basis of the current indie talk to try and make a greater point about the characters and how the classification doesn't matter all that much.
Ah. Okay then.

In general though I do still see people treat them as inherently lesser candidates and putting them in this "other" category of "indie rep".
I dunno about "lesser", but certainly "less likely". Especially given that it hasn't happened yet.

I'm pretty sure you've said before that you think indie characters are Mii Costume fodder and not playable character material, actually.
Indeed. I think it's a good sweet spot for them. But I fully acknowledge that Nintendo can promote one to Fighter at any point.

But the points of the rest of the article are still as valid, and dispute your contention.
You mean support my contention. Since, again, I was arguing against the quoted definition.

Im still holding out hope that toy link can be atleast an alt in the next game!
If he can be an alt in TotK, he can be an alt in Smash. :p

Which alt is this? I can't find anything similar in TOTK itself. I could find the Heroes of Wind outfit(which is based upon Wind Waker).
Armor of Awakening set.

1719276332447.png

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So I just beat the 2014 Strider reboot.

I really want Strider Hiryu in Smash. He's never happening but he'd be sick.
I wish I remembered more about him, but I haven't played Marvel VS Capcom 1 in ages. I don't even remember how his weapon works. Didn't he use Wind to some degree?

...To be fair, it's been over 10 years, heh. But yeah, he's a cool option from the little bit I remember.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wish I remembered more about him, but I haven't played Marvel VS Capcom 1 in ages. I don't even remember how his weapon works. Didn't he use Wind to some degree?

...To be fair, it's been over 10 years, heh. But yeah, he's a cool option from the little bit I remember.
No, he uses laser swords, kunais and robot animals.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No, he uses laser swords, kunais and robot animals.
For some odd reason, I thought he was technological, but then I remembered the other character Jin Saotome, so wrote it off memory-wise.

Thank you.

Yeah, that sounds sweet. I'd love a Techno Ninja to compliment our more regular Ninja(Sheik, though she had a magical ability in Transform, but even Vanish is presented more a Ninja Trick, especially with the Deku Nut) and our more "magical" ninja(Greninja. If only due to elements. But you could also call it an Elemental Ninja or a Jutsu Ninja akin to how Naruto does it. Either way, it's quite different from both).

That said, I know he has a Warp ability(at least in MVC. I know nothing of his normal series). So I guess that's just a common Ninja skill at this point anyway, heh. Greninja has the classic log substitution(not a log, but same concept) and a minor teleport in Sneak Attack, though. As I don't remember his animations well, would Warp fit Up B or something else better?

-------------

(I couldn't find a good picture of the Armor of Awakening Set, or just the names. Thanks for posting that).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So I just beat the 2014 Strider reboot.

I really want Strider Hiryu in Smash. He's never happening but he'd be sick.
IIRC he was originally a manga character so he might be ineligible, though I think at this point he's more video game character than anything else so I doubt anyone would actually be upset or anything if he was added.

not a log, but same concept
Sometimes a log.

1719284044725.jpeg

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
IIRC he was originally a manga character so he might be ineligible, though I think at this point he's more video game character than anything else so I doubt anyone would actually be upset or anything if he was added.

Sometimes a log.

View attachment 391520
Just to point out, the manga and game were also made as a collaboration and at the same time. So he's a multimedia franchise character by design. So it's a bit closer to what R.O.B. would be instead. One simply released first. The issue at most would be with licensing, but he's both overall since that was the intention behind it. To quote;

"According to Yotsui the franchise was conceived as a multimedia collaboration between video game company Capcom and manga collective Moto Kikaku, the two companies having previously collaborated on the video game versions of the manga Tenchi wo Kurau. Moto Kikaku produced the manga version, while Capcom developed two separate video game versions, a coin-operated video game and a console version for the NES. All three works share common plot elements, while featuring their differences as well."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strider_(1989_arcade_game)#Development

Ah, I forgot about the log. Whoops. XD But yeah, it more or less is pretty much akin to how the Naruto ninjas are, bar the "highly visible" part.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Yeah, while the manga came out first for Strider, both the manga and the video game were planned at the same time, meaning that Strider Hiryu floats around that line similarly, but a bit different in some parts, to Lucario.
Lucario was always planned to be in the video games to begin with, but Lucario would earn the role as one of the movie stars before it's game appearance similar to Lugia. But strictly speaking, Lucario is a video game character first and foremost, even though Lucario in Smash is very much based on the movie version.
This is why Geralt from the Witcher series is more than likely not a possibility. While the Witcher games have gained alot of popularity, Geralt is first and foremost a book/short stories character as the books were made long before the games(13 years) and even longer with the short stories(21 years).
Whereas in Strider's case, he was planned for both the video game and the manga and isn't exactly either a video game character or a manga character first, but more a mixture. That being said, Strider's video game appearances would be more a hit with people than his manga. Strider is in that balanced gray area of being both a video game character and a manga character at his origin where it's non-arguable what Lucario and Geralts' origins are, but because Strider's appearances have mainly stuck only to the games since his creation, Strider Hiryu has that chance of getting in Smash due to him leaning more towards his video game heritage over his manga heritage.

And on the subject of Strider, while I would love to hear what Smash Bros. does for it's St. Petersberg theme, it's going to be hard for Smash Bros. to make a St. Petersburg theme as good as this version.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Uma Musume is being localized

#SpecialWeek4Smash

No but for real though Cygames content is still one of my most wanted things in smash

Anything through, Dragalia, Granblue, Uma Musume or hell, even something like Shadowverse, Rage Of Bahamut or Priconne would be fantastic.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Looks more like Model Link than Toon Link.
That's what was being pointed out. Since it's based upon the Link's Awakening games. Hence it somewhat looking fairly like the LA Switch design(though that's not really different from his overall design in the original artworks too. If anything, it's just an accurate but chibi version that the remake went with, and that is Echoes of Wisdom uses).

...It also wasn't on the Zelda Wiki I normally use. No wonder I couldn't find it, heh.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I forgot to say this when it was first mentioned, but I think Morrigan would be a hilarious Darkstalkers Assist Trophy. Have her instantly activate Astral Vision, and then spam Soul Fist across the stage. Kinda like Color TV-Game 15, but more annoying.

She could also single out another player, but that would be more difficult to code since she'd have to be able to run around the stage and ridiculously harder to play around (unless you've got a 360 reflector like Fox). Wouldn't recommend.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Who are your most wanted villains?

Mine are DJ Octavio, King Boo, and Pig Ganon
There’s a ton of love to see. I’ll break some of my most wanted down between first and third party.

First Party:
Jenna Anderson
Medusa
Jessie and James
Professor Sada/Turo
The Black Knight
Raven Beak
E.M.M.I.
Wart
Ganon

Third Party:
Magus
Fulgore
Sub-Zero
Illidan Stormrage
Sarah Kerrigan
Lu Bu
Jinx
Velvet Crowe
Nightmare
Vega

Some of those aren’t really villains anymore but they were at one point. Others are more of a gray area whether they’re actually villains or not.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Lu Bu, Nobunaga Oda, Kefka and Dr. Eggman
How would you feel about Orochi/Orochi X as the Warriors rep? He’d probably be a bit easier since he’s not based on an actual person like Lu Bu or Nobunaga. I’d love to see any of them make it in. My absolute favorite Warriors characters are Gan Ning, Zhu Rong, and Kotaro Fuma but I don’t see any of them making it in unfortunately.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
How would you feel about Orochi/Orochi X as the Warriors rep? He’d probably be a bit easier since he’s not based on an actual person like Lu Bu or Nobunaga. I’d love to see any of them make it in. My absolute favorite Warriors characters are Gan Ning, Zhu Rong, and Kotaro Fuma but I don’t see any of them making it in unfortunately.
Orochi could probably work. I don't know what his moveset is like, but his design is pretty cool.

Plus, he has a giant scythe.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Maybe i'm repeating myself, but if Konami returns for the following Smash game, let Nintendo use the Konami Code.
That would be a fun way to automatically unlock all the characters if people wanted them right away. It would probably make more sense for it to do something on a Contra stage if we got one. Thats the main game I remember the code from but I know it’s been used for several of their games.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
That would be a fun way to automatically unlock all the characters if people wanted them right away. It would probably make more sense for it to do something on a Contra stage if we got one. Thats the main game I remember the code from but I know it’s been used for several of their games.
The code was first introduced in Gradius lol

Noipoi

Howdy!
No the Konami Code itself is a fighter.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Who are your most wanted villains?

Mine are DJ Octavio, King Boo, and Pig Ganon
Dr. Eggman, King Bob-Omb, M. Bison (Street Fighter) are the ones I have in mind for villains.

I would also would love to see a villain character from the Fire Emblem franchise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom