• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Sorry if my opinion will hurt but I probably think that Lloyd would be more of a niche pick than the one with the standing ovation. You can have my blood now.
Don't worry. I have no connection to Lloyd. He's just the character I'd be least surprised by.

D

Deleted member

Don't worry. I have no connection to Lloyd. He's just the character I'd be least surprised by.
If so, then it has be one to truly curveball the audience (and end with my disappointment). Oh well, that's all I'll give tonight. Gotta play some Ranked Games to clear my head.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Here's a little game: if every company currently in Ultimate had 5 unique reps from different franchises, what characters would you give them?
Konami: Snake, Simon, Yugo, Twinbee, Bomberman
Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker, Beat, Sakura Shinguji
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, Jill Valentine.
Bandai-Namco: Pac-Man, Heihaichi, Sophitia, Velvet, KOS MOS
Square-Enix: Cloud, Hero, Crono, Tidus, Sora
Microsoft: Banjo, Steve, Master Chief, Jago/Fulgore, Joanna Dark
SNK: Terry, Kyo Kusanagi, Nakoruru, Marco Rossi, Ryo Sakazaki

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So...
Lloyd?
I mean... it's possible, though I do think RE would make a bigger splash with the VGA crowd.

Do you guys think Banjo really lowered barricade?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...mate-that-could-actually-happen.135655/page-6

People say that even Master Chief wouldn't be that shocking.
Honestly, at this point, few picks would really be more shocking than what we have. The only things I can think of are PC gaming (Valve, Riot, Blizzard's older IPs), a Sony rep or a non-videogame character. Aside from that, the "curveball factor" is at an all-time low after this Pass. Which is great, really.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Here's a little game: if every company currently in Ultimate had 5 unique reps from different franchises, what characters would you give them?
- Konami: Snake, Simon, Bomberman, Pyramid Head, Rocket Knight
- SEGA: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker, Jack Frost, Beat
- Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Jill Valentine
- Namco: Pac-Man, Nightmare, Heihachi, Lloyd, KOS-MOS
- Squre Enix: Cloud, Hero, Chrono, 2B, Sora
- Microsoft: Banjo and Kazooie, Master Chief, Conker, Fulgore, Joanna Dark
- SNK: Terry Bogard, Kyo Kusanagi, Haohmaru, Marco, Athena

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Do you guys think Banjo really lowered barricade?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...mate-that-could-actually-happen.135655/page-6

People say that even Master Chief wouldn't be that shocking.
I don't. Banjo isn't even an active franchise and has more history with Nintendo than Microsoft. Rare also would've been making Nintendo games if Microsoft let them. Banjo is a very, very logical choice, and insanely popular with Smash fans, mainly because veteran Smash fans played Smash on 64, and Banjo-Kazooie was one of the most critically acclaimed games on that system.

Master Chief has no such connection.

Doesn't make sense to compare them.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The only truly shocking characters to me would be non-VG characters, 3rd parties that have no presence in Japan or Sony owned characters.

That said there's still a few first to cover.

*First Fully playable indie character
*First Beat-em Up character
*First Visual Novel Character
*First Digital Pet character
*Whatever the crap Hatsune Miku is.
*First character to debut on PC or Mac (Snake debuted on a brand of home computer but I'm talking specific here)
*First DLC character to have a darker skin tone by default (Ryu and Joker being from real actual Japan; Cloud, the Heroes and Bayonetta being vaguely European; Corrin being half-NotJapanese and Half Dragon God; Terry being American; and Banjo, Kazooie and Plant being non-human)
*First Yoshi/F-Zero character to be added in 20 years
*First Assist Trophy to be promoted to playable in the same game.

D

Deleted member

*First Fully playable indie character
*First Beat-em Up character
*First Visual Novel Character
*First Digital Pet character
*Whatever the crap Hatsune Miku is.
*First character to debut on PC or Mac (Snake debuted on a brand of home computer but I'm talking specific here)
*First DLC character to have a darker skin tone by default (Ryu and Joker being from real actual Japan; Cloud, the Heroes and Bayonetta being vaguely European; Corrin being half-NotJapanese and Half Dragon God; Terry being American; and Banjo, Kazooie and Plant being non-human)
*First Yoshi/F-Zero character to be added in 20 years
*First Assist Trophy to be promoted to playable in the same game.
Hmm...

* Most probable are Reimu and Steve.
* Streets of Rage character or Final Fight character
* Saber or Phoenix
* Agumon
* Vocaloid. Digital Software to be exact.
* Gordon, League champ
* Persons of Color? Hmmm...
* Kamek or Black Shadow
* I don't know if this is possible. It'll take them days to decide on how to code it. But it does not mean it is not possible. Wonder how the devs will approach this.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So there was heavy talk of Sora yesterday that I missed. He's definitely a character I could see ending this Pass on a great note given how big of an reveal he'd be at the VGA.

If he is FP5 what would be your overall opinion on the Pass?

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
i am not sure where i read it or whether it was from a youtube video, but i heard that people heard a rumor that the last character of this pass will be from a RPG?

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Are there any game series or potential characters that are very popular in China? I could see a reveal at that Chinese presentation if it's a character with massive appeal in China, the same way Terry has massive appeal in Latin America.

The closest such character I can think of off the top of my head would be a Starcraft character like Kerrigan, but I don't know if Starcraft is popular in China, or another country instead.
If so, then it has be one to truly curveball the audience (and end with my disappointment). Oh well, that's all I'll give tonight. Gotta play some Ranked Games to clear my head.
Based on this, I would say a league of legends rep. Super popular globally and in China/Korea. Highest grossing esport too. MOBAs aren't represented yet, and it's a way different genre than others, unless you count the high chances for fps.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So there was heavy talk of Sora yesterday that I missed. He's definitely a character I could see ending this Pass on a great note given how big of an reveal he'd be at the VGA.

Very, very positive. Joker was my pipe dream most-wanted. Terry was another pipe dream for me and my partner, and Sora is their most-wanted pipe dream. Add in a core fanbase pick like Banjo and a well-deserved series with a huge legacy like Dragon Quest, and how fun everyone's been to play, and you have a pass that added tons of value and content to the game with some surprising picks and big fan faves.

Plus with more DLC on the way (and Sora/KH's big cross-demographic appeal) I can be really satisfied from an aesthetic perspective and hyped for what's to come.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
i am not sure where i read it or whether it was from a youtube video, but i heard that people heard a rumor that the last character of this pass will be from a RPG?
I haven't seen anything like that. Any idea where you saw it, or if it was a youtube video, what the video's source was?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Konami: Snake, Simon, Alucard, Raiden, and Pyramid Head
Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker, Balder/Lumen Sage, and Dr Eggman
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, Morrigan, Jill Valentine, and Strider Hiryu
Bandai-Namco: Pac-Man, Lloyd Irving, Nightmare, Augumon, and KOS-MOS
Square-Enix: Cloud, Hero, Sora, Sephiroth, and 2B
Microsoft: Banjo, Master Chief, Fulgore, General RAAand Rash
SNK: Terry, Iori, Nakoruru, Athena, and Marco Russi [/QUOTE]

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace

Impossible to top.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman

Realistically speaking I highly doubt he is fighter 5 but I'd be pretty satisfied. I'd honestly rather not have three different JRPG characters when they could go and look in a different corner but at least Sora wouldn't be all about generic slashes in different directions.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
I believe your common sense is not so common when we have people that have leaked characters and content weeks to months ahead of schedule.
To deny all the instances of a leak being real would be to be willfully ignorant,

Don't let your skepticism get in the way of your logic. Take leaks with a grain of salt, not a block of sodium.
Believe in every leak at your own discretion. Unless they have photographic evidence AND video evidence, then the leak is entirely fake (See the Mii leak, photo and video, the right way to do it...)
Also, I'm actively trying to prove the leak fake, in case you wanna say I approve of the leak because of DOOM content... The Mallow Hat fully recreated with gameplay (The hat looks bad, but I'll take it), the Caco Hat on the other hand has no gameplay whatsoever, but the recreation is there... Still, I'd like that gameplay to prove the leak 100% fake.
Textual leaks and image leaks alone mean nothing to me, unless you have said character being played in the background in a video. That was the mistake people did with Rayman and with the Grinch leak. If somebody asked video evidence constantly, the leak would have fallen way before it was disproven.

But I should let you know... No one knew Terry was ever going to get in before Nintendo leaked it themselves... If Nintendo didn't do it, you could say bye-bye to every single leaker trying to pass false info as truth.
Try attacking my argument instead of myself, please.
Calling my common sense not so common and ignorant is already an "ad hominem"

Fresh air you say? Mind you we still haven't had...oh never mind. Just...save your hopes for Season 2.
Yes, fresh air. Is there a problem with it? Or are you gonna go back to the Doom forums where we have to comfort you because your most wanted didn't get through? Look, personally, if I were a mod, you'd have been blocked right there from entering that forum in specific.
Again, believe leakers at your own discretion.

So, uh... does anyone have a "speculation" record of like 80% accuracy like Vergeben? Has anyone else "predicted" the entire Microsoft, Bethesda and SE E3 presentations like Sabi? Does anyone have a perfect, spotless "lucky guess" record like Shinobi?

Again, you're free to not like them or the drama that usually goes with leaker stuff (I certainly don't), but come on, man. That's opposite to common sense. You're just coming across as "they're saying a character I like isn't #5, so it has to be fake!"

For the stuff on Joker and TGA: it's not a matter of the character being requested or not. Compare the first three DLC packs: Joker, Hero and BK. Which one do you think would have a better response at TGA?

Joker's the obvious choice here - especially as he was still fresh in everyone's minds from Persona 5. Hero's appeal comes from Japan, for the most part, and DQXIS was only gonna be released 6 months from there, so it made little sense as a TGA reveal at that point in time. Banjo and Kazooie were a long time request... of the core community, which doesn't compose the main part of the audience.

That's why I think for TGA, it makes sense to not have someone with mostly regional appeal (like Reimu, for instance) or a request only Smash/core Nintendo fans care about (like Geno), but rather a character that will receive a standing ovation from the audience at TGA, like Joker did.

Plus, looking at past Smash reveals, they usually never end on a curveball (the fact that Bayonetta is the exception and not the rule should tell us enough). That's why I think it's a "safer" pick already on everyone's minds, like Joker was and like RE is now.
Let's test them this time around... Like I said to one of the guys/girls replying me, no one had idea of Terry coming in.

In every instance of a leak, the leak has been leaked wrongly.
Joker came in despite the leaker saying a SE character was coming.
Hero was noted as Erdrick instead of Luminary. (Datamined, by the way, so people had a clue as well...)
"Been a while since we saw Banjo in anything. Hope we’re in for a smashing good time." - Shinobi.
This is the most safest quotes you could do, if what he said is real, he could pass it off as he knew all along. If the leak was fake, he could said he believed something about Banjo was coming along or he just "wanted to play with you, guys". Banjo being one of the most requested doesn't help either.

No one knows so far who it is, and them trying to deconfirm several characters at once is gonna blow them straight onto their faces.

About VGA, Banjo, no discussion. Appeals to Americans, on an American event, not a big brainer there, lmao (If we are talking reactions in the event itself). The very moment they see that Jiggy, the entire venue would have exploded.

But if you wanted a balanced response between Japan/America, then Joker is my other option. Hero would be the only one appealing to Japan, having a niche community in America. Probably that would be the opposite to Banjo, even though Banjo-Kazooie has a small healthy community, not even that niche.

EDIT: Fixed a bad quote.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I'd like that. It'd line up with what I want.

Big meh.

What about him?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Then I'd say the pass overall is quite decent. Much better than I would have anticipated but not as mind blowing as I would like it to be. Sakurai could do much worse than ending the pass with Sora but with Banjo & Kazooie being in the pass, all is right in this crazy and mind-baffling world!

Now if we were talking about Sgt. Cortez...

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord

Konami: Snake, Simon, Bill Rizer, Frogger, Shiori Fujisaki
Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker, Kiryu, Axel Stone
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, Leon S. Kennedy, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright
Bandai-Namco: Pac-Man, Heihaichi, Lloyd Irving, Sophitia, KOS-MOS
Square-Enix: Cloud, Hero, Geno, Sora, Lara Croft
Microsoft: Banjo, Steve, Master Chief, Rash, Joanna Dark
SNK: Terry (as a Fatal Fury rep), Kyo Kusanagi (as a KoF rep), Nakoruru, Marco Rossi, Jeanne D'Arc
Sega:Sonic,Bayonetta,Joker,Alex Kidd, Tails
Konami: Snake, Simon, Bill Rizer, Frogger, Raiden
Capcom:Megaman, Ryu, Monster Hunter, Phoinex Wright, Dante
Bandai Namco: Pac-Man, Lloyd, Agumon, Chosen Undead, Heihachi
Square: Cloud, Hero, Geno, Lara, Sora
Microsoft:Banjo, Steve, Master Chief, Conker, The Battletoads

D

Deleted member

Hero was noted as Erdrick instead of Luminary. (Datamined, by the way, so people had a clue as well...)
"Been a while since we saw Banjo in anything. Hope we’re in for a smashing good time." - Shinobi.
This is the most safest quotes you could do, if what he said is real, he could pass it off as he knew all along. If the leak was fake, he could said he believed something about Banjo was coming along or he just "wanted to play with you, guys". Banjo being one of the most requested doesn't help either.
[SNK character already leaked]
You see, with every nitpick you can say about Vergeben, here's what I think.

If Vergeben says a character is in, that character is in. He has never messed up in this regard and you can't disprove that. Even if you be semantic and say he backed Erdrick instead of Hero or Luminary, Erdrick and DQ was still in anyways. Even if you say we got Joker instead of the Square Enix character at VGA, we still got the SE character.

Whether he could be piggybacking or guessing is not important when you have been pretty much perfect on all of your fighter claims. Ignoring him (for Smash) is skepticism for the sake of skepticism at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Hmm...

* Saber or Phoenix
* Agumon
* Gordon, League champ
* Kamek or Black Shadow
* I don't know if this is possible. It'll take them days to decide on how to code it. But it does not mean it is not possible. Wonder how the devs will approach this.
Ummm it’s not close to impossible, all the assist trophies already have a built in ON/OFF switch when they are in certain stages, so they can just turn off when the same character is a fighter, it won’t take days.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope the next batch of DLC characters are gonna be first party owned.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Verge is infallible when it comes to Smash, eh? I guess we Minecraft content now.
For all we know that maybe through Mii costumes. Character-wise Vergeben's been spot-on.
I hope the next batch of DLC characters are gonna be first party owned.
Personally I expect a mix of 1st and 3rd party.

D

Deleted member

Verge is infallible when it comes to Smash, eh?
Well no. That's not what I meant. I said that if Verge says a fighter is in, that fighter is in. Verge never backed a Minecraft character specifically so there was always room for doubt with me.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

For those of you who ignored the dates and tried to decipher it without realizing the references... it's Shrek.

I can't believe I was over-trusting enough to legit research that. D: Then hindsight kicked in when all signs pointed to Shrek, and I was all like:

Pfft, thanks! That's the best laugh I had all day. And here I thought I made it extremely obvious with the "Lord Farquaad" proclaimed, and the 956 likes plus the ones by Fiona, Donkey and **** in Boots. :ultpacman:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hmm...

* Saber or Phoenix
* Agumon
* Gordon, League champ
* Kamek or Black Shadow
For Beat em Ups, I'd also add Kino-Kun and Billy and Jimmy Lee. For characters designed (by default) to be of non-european or non-asian decent that's trickier than it aught to be. The Tomb Raider would have been an easier pick if the publishers hadn't demanded that Laura Cruz be turned into Lara Croft (including removing the U because they thought the name didn't exist in the US. No, seriously.) In terms of Nintendo characters, there's Twintelle if they decide to go with her for an ARMS rep, given how her popularity got her added to the Beta early.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Another time killing game for all of you guys inspired by Garteam's (don't know how to tag someone on mobile...) game of choosing 5 for each company in Smash.

Let's say you can add 6 characters distributed among the existing companies (excluding Nintendo) and up to 2 new third-party companies. Subsidiary companies count as new companies. Who would you add?

Bamco: Nightmare
WB Studios/Netherrealm Studios: Scorpion
Capcom: Zero, X
Square Enix: Geno, Sephiroth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom