• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
You're joking. I don't even claw at my desk waiting for the next thing leakers have to say like a lot of people here do and even I saw all the skeptics on twitter calling the Grinch leak fake. I know you post on twitter, come on man don't pretend you don't. That "y'all" doesn't lie lol.

Leak culture is absolute cancer, dunno what else to say. There's been no actual speculation for pretty much Ultimate's entire lifespan. You guys just wait for Vergeben or Sabi to do their usual "I know who it is but I'm not telling" shtick and eat it up like you don't even realize it. I have seen all of these things leaked on 4chan at one point or another, from "everyone is here" to Pirahna Plant literally within 24 hours of the November direct. Oh but people love to go "lol 4chan" as if a place where you don't have to give your identity away wouldn't be an ideal place to post your legit leaks. Nah, when you got a leak you go to twitter and try and gain followers lol.
Sooooo instead of offering something to the discussion or links to your claims like I asked, you immediately attack mine and other people here's character for using the word "y'all" and simply discussing the potential of leaks and those who give them.

Yeah, we're done here. Have a nice day, dude. I honestly think if leak discussion bugs you this much, you should probably just not come to this thread, because we're gonna end up talking about insiders whether you like it or not. It's all a part of speculation. Quite frankly, you haven't even offered anything constructive other than having a bad attitude and posting rants about leak culture. Again, if it clearly stresses you out this much enough to keep posting about it and getting increasingly bothered by what people say, perhaps just take a step back from it all. Gettin' this worked up ain't healthy. :drshrug:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
we really still doing the whole "Vergeben was never credible" schtick?

Has the grinch leak not taught y'all anything?

sure he doesn't have a perfect record, but he's more reliable than most

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Another time killing game for all of you guys inspired by Garteam's (don't know how to tag someone on mobile...) game of choosing 5 for each company in Smash.

Let's say you can add 6 characters distributed among the existing companies (excluding Nintendo) and up to 2 new third-party companies. Subsidiary companies count as new companies. Who would you add?
I find this a little confusing. So basically, is this "what if we could add in 4 more characters from third-parties that already have playable characters in Smash, plus 2 characters from third-parties that don't"?
  • Capcom - Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright
  • SNK - Kyo Kusanagi
  • Bandai Namco - Heihachi
  • Koei Tecmo - Ryu Hayabusa
  • Arc System Works - Billy & Jimmy

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Here's a little game: if every company currently in Ultimate had 5 unique reps from different franchises, what characters would you give them?

Konami: Snake, Simon, Bill Rizer, Frogger, Shiori Fujisaki
Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker, Kiryu, Axel Stone
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, Leon S. Kennedy, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright
Bandai-Namco: Pac-Man, Heihaichi, Lloyd Irving, Sophitia, KOS-MOS
Square-Enix: Cloud, Hero, Geno, Sora, Lara Croft
Microsoft: Banjo, Steve, Master Chief, Rash, Joanna Dark
SNK: Terry (as a Fatal Fury rep), Kyo Kusanagi (as a KoF rep), Nakoruru, Marco Rossi, Jeanne D'Arc
Konami: Snake, Simon, Bill Rizer, Frogger, Raiden. (Maybe add a pachinko machine to the lineup as well? :4pacman:)
Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker, Kazuma Kiryu, Arle, Nights
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, Dante, Leon S. Kennedy, Phoenix Wright
Bandai-Namco: Pac-Man, Lloyd Irving, Jin Kazama, Klonoa, Sophitia
Square-Enix: Cloud (Final Fantasy), Hero (Dragon Quest), 2B (NieR/Drakengard), Neku (The World Ends With You), Agnes (Bravely Default)
Microsoft: Banjo, Steve, Master Chief, Joanna Dark, Rash
SNK: Terry (Fatal Fury), Kyo (KoF), Haohmaru (SamSho), Athena Asamiya (Psycho Soldier), Marco Rossi (Metal Slug)

Edit: Fixed a misspelling

Last edited:

MooMew64

People love to assume the guy their arguing with online is always as mad as they are lol.
I'm not upset. I was trying to have a discussion about Verge and our current status with the leaks. I enjoy talking about Smash leak culture, it's always fascinated me and the rumors that go around help shape speculation and give us some structure to base our theories off of. Without it, we'd just be posting random wishlists all day.

Seriously, I do wish you the best. :) I just think it's a shame we couldn't have a clear discussion on this topic. I'm always open to hearing different theories on these subjects, but you kind of need to back them up with something if you're gonna discuss it seriously. Randomly coming in to point and laugh at everyone and then deflect when people ask why you believe what you're saying doesn't really make for a fun topic. :urg:

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
To me, the best thing about the Smash leaker scene is the Fatman storyline. I can't wait to introduce y'all to Car-tain Falcone in part 7, but here's an early bird cameo, no pun intended.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
So there was heavy talk of Sora yesterday that I missed. He's definitely a character I could see ending this Pass on a great note given how big of an reveal he'd be at the VGA.

If he is FP5 what would be your overall opinion on the Pass?
I’d be pretty freakin happy if this was the pass! Most of my faves are in this pass alone already! With having Joker (who originally was just pipe dream), Banjo (another dream character, but made sense), and in a weird way Hero (I did want Dragon Quest represented and they pulled it off in the best way possible!)

The only character I don’t have that much of a connection to would be Terry. Even then, he needed up being pretty fun to play.

I know some people would be a little iffed if we really did ended up by getting three RPG characters within the same pass, but it’s not like it’s the most represented genre within Smash neither! The only RPG series we have are: Pokèmon, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Final Fantasy, Persona, and Earthbound.

That’s like 6 series compared to how much platforming has in Smash alone with playable reps and that also include the third party

Kingdom Hearts is kind of the major RPG series left that’s not Tales of that’s missing. Even with that, Tales of has already flirted with Smash anyway, by just having the Lloyd Mii costume there. It starts to get even more glaring if you add another RPG franchise before it.

MooMew64

So there was heavy talk of Sora yesterday that I missed. He's definitely a character I could see ending this Pass on a great note given how big of an reveal he'd be at the VGA.

I would be super happy! Sora has always been a big pipe dream character for me; if I actually got him, that might eclipse even the hype I had for Joker.

My overall opinion of the pass would be a solid 9/10. While I enjoy playing as Terry, I'm still not super huge into us getting him over other options, but with the other four (assuming Sora does make it, ha ha) being so good for me personally, I really wouldn't have anything to be complaining about.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Ecstatic. My two most wanted characters for Ultimate in the same DLC season? Of course I'd be down for that! Plus two characters I like and one I respect? Overall, 9 out of 10 - and the only reason it's not higher is because I kinda wish every DLC had the SNK treatment for songs and Spirits, but it's not like I was counting on that in the first place.

SKX31

Smash Master

I went into the Pass thinking "Oh yeah, Sakurai's likely going to put in a lot of love into the characters no matter who they are. Will be worth the $25."

Still, if Sora got in it would be hovering around the 8.5 to 9.5 / 10. A bit dissapointed we didn't get more variety with genre reps or female characters, but those are not huge concerns when Sakurai and Sora Ltd are known to put in effort. A major reason why I'd probably enjoy Sora a lot are the long, weird but satisfying air combos and dumb magical stuff he can do. I really enjoyed Hero for a similar reason after all.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

I don't like Sora or Kingdom Hearts.

That being said, I still think this Fighter Pass was fantastic and I especially love Joker and Terry's inclusions.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I'm more than satisfied with the fighters pass since they all ended up being from series I enjoy and Joker was my pipe dream character.

If my actual most wanted got it... Hooboy.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Here's a little game: if every company currently in Ultimate had 5 unique reps from different franchises, what characters would you give them?

SNK: Terry (as a Fatal Fury rep), Kyo Kusanagi (as a KoF rep), Nakoruru, Marco Rossi, Jeanne D'Arc
Konami
Snake (Metal Gear series)
Simon Belmont (Castlevania series)
Bomberman (Bomberman series)
Pyramid Head (Silent Hill series)
Bill Rizer (Contra series)

Sega
Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog series)
Bayonetta (Bayonetta series)
Joker (Persona series)
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo series)
Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza series)

Capcom
Mega Man (Mega Man series)
Ryu (Street Fighter series)
Palico/Felyne (Monster Hunter series)
Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil series)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney series)

Bandai-Namco
Pac-Man (Pac-Man series)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of series)
Heihachi (Tekken series)
Don-chan (Taiko no Tatsujin series)
Nightmare (Soul Calibur series)

Square-Enix
Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy series)
Hero (Dragon Quest series)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider series)
Agnès Oblige (Bravely series)
Bubble & Bobble (Bubble Bobble series)

Microsoft
Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie series)
Master Chief (Halo series)
Jago (Killer Instinct series)
Rash (Battletoads series)
Marcus Fenix (Gears of War series)

SNK
Terry (Fatal Fury series)
Geese Howard (Fatal Fury series)
Kyo Kusanagi (King of Fighters series)
Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown series)
Haohmaru (Samurai Shodown series)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's no denying that Sora would be a huge ****ing deal since Sakurai named his development team off of him he's a character that has people actively wanting him in Smash and comes from a company with the biggest pull in the entertainment industry as a whole. Personally speaking, he isn't for me. I just don't really have any sort of interest in Kingdom Hearts in Smash (plus I'm not really a big fan of most fan demanded characters, and Sora happens to be 1 of them), but I'll probably be more accepting of Sora in Smash if Sakurai is allowed to put as much Kingdom Hearts content in Smash as possible. Whatever Sora could bring to Smash would need to live up to the expectations that the rest of the DLC characters set out cause I'd be pretty disappointed if Sora is Cloud 2.0 in terms of content.

As for the Fighter Pass itself if Sora was last, I'm glad people are happy that they got who they wanted and so much more, but it sucks for me cause none of the characters I wanted are in Smash still. At least Joker, Hero, and Terry are fun and got a good amount of content in Smash though, so the Fighter Pass is still a great buy. I'll just be putting more hope into the next Fighter Pass having at least 1 character I wanted to see in Smash sooner than later rather than getting worked up over the first Fighter Pass' lineup not having someone I wanted like how those die hard Genomanics will when Geno didn't make the cut again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
All these Microsoft lists and still no sign of my baby...

cries in Ori

D

Deleted member

Sora doesn't really change anything I already thought about the FP. Worth the purchase, as it makes Smash Ultimate a more new and lively game with 12 unique newcomers instead of the original 7 in base game. I loved how each series are recognizable classics and were clearly made with love and respect for the fans. It is a damn well made addition to Ultimate, and I look forward to future DLC, even if it ends up being just two post-pass newcomers.

Plus it helps that I've had history with all four revealed DLC fighters and got two of my most wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Everyone knows that the best Microsoft rep would be Clippy from Microsoft Office, but nobody talks about him because they fear him, he's too powerful.

(By the way, I'd like some Age of Empires content in Smash)

SKX31

Smash Master
Everyone knows that the best Microsoft rep would be Clippy from Microsoft Office, but nobody talks about him because they fear him, he's too powerful.

(By the way, I'd like some Age of Empires content in Smash)
Aksually, his offical name is Clippit *Gets booed out of the room*. Bonus points if Clippy comes with Microsoft Bob content and a blank Word file as a stage.

(And yes, I'd support AoE content, but have no idea what they'd choose. Wololo?)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Aksually, his offical name is Clippit *Gets booed out of the room*. Bonus points if Clippy comes with Microsoft Bob content and a blank Word file as a stage.

(And yes, I'd support AoE content, but have no idea what they'd choose. Wololo?)
Both names are actually canon. For example, Microsoft made an animation about firing him in the early 2000s and called him Clippy. Personally, I subscribe to the theory that Clippit is his full birth name and Clippy is his nickname.

The lore for Microsoft Word is intense, y'all.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Another time killing game for all of you guys inspired by Garteam's (don't know how to tag someone on mobile...) game of choosing 5 for each company in Smash.

Let's say you can add 6 characters distributed among the existing companies (excluding Nintendo) and up to 2 new third-party companies. Subsidiary companies count as new companies. Who would you add?
SEGA: Elenor Camuel (Phantasy Star Online), Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Taisen)
Bandai-Namco: Haruka Amami (THE iDOLM@STER)
Game Freak*: Quinty (Quinty)
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt: Carmen Sandiego (Where is Carmen Sandiego?)
Square-Enix: Shantotto (Final Fantasy XI)

* I don't know if Bandai-Namco or Konami (via Hudson) would have to be involved, so I'm throwing this under Game Freak

Konami: Snake, Simon, Bill Rizer, Frogger, Raiden. (Maybe add a pachinko machine to the lineup as well? :4pacman:)
Well-deserved-Konami-mockery aside, I actually would like to see characters rep pinball and pachinko in Smash. Those are two related hobbies that have both grown into and out of gaming, and have some neat fusions to show for it.
Baby Pac-Man and Granny and the Gators were true hybrid machines, a lot of modern Pin-ball machines use mini visual interfaces (including mini-games), and Pachinko has kind of taken a backseat to the odd fusion that is Pachislots.

All these Microsoft lists and still no sign of my baby...

cries in Ori
No PSO.
No other, modern Phantasy Star.
No classic Phantasy Star...

"A toast to lonelier souls"~~~...

I'd actually be down for Clippy.

Honestly, he would have made a perfect Assist Trophy (freezing your enemy until they respond to prompts), but if they could use him as a generic 'Windows' rep (Solitaire Victory-screen Final Smash), I'd gladly take him as a playable character over most of Microsoft's catalogue.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

OMG so the dog from the search function of Windows XP is a Microsoft BOB character?!?
All the characters from Microsoft BOB should appear in Clippy/Clippit's final smash.
Also I didn't know of the name Clippit, nice find.

For Age of Empires a stage would be great, based on AoE1 or AoE2. Though they can also make a playable character that becomes a different unit depending on the move... too bad that the name "Villager" is already taken... they could call him "Imperial Villager"...? Wololoo should be a taunt and should be able to convert pokèmon and assist trophies for the sake of being annoying like the actual priests in AoE. That or temporarily convert other players in team battle so they won't be able to hit you unless there's friendly fire.

SKX31

Smash Master
Both names are actually canon. For example, Microsoft made an animation about firing him in the early 2000s and called him Clippy. Personally, I subscribe to the theory that Clippit is his full birth name and Clippy is his nickname.

The lore for Microsoft Word is intense, y'all.
Oh crud, forgot about that. Still, some say that Clippit is still hid-

Wait, what do you mean Clippy got ressurected as a app for Apple's MacOs? He finally found a (old-) new home!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Konami
  1. Snake
  2. Simon
  3. Bomberman
  4. Bonk
  5. Pyramid Head
Sega
  1. Sonic
  2. Bayonetta
  3. Joker
  4. Arle Nadja
  5. Kiryu
Capcom
  1. Mega Man
  2. Ryu
  3. Jill Valentine
  4. Dante
  5. Amaterasu
Bandai-Namco
  1. Pac-Man
  2. Heihachi
  3. Lloyd Irving
  4. Klonoa
  5. The Prince
Square Enix
  1. Cloud
  2. Hero
  3. Geno
  4. 2B
  5. Sora? (I know some people will count him here, but otherwise, if he's Disney, Lara Croft).
Microsoft
  1. Banjo & Kazooie
  2. Master Chief
  3. Steve
  4. Rash
  5. Fulgore
SNK
  1. Terry
  2. Nakoruru
  3. Haohmaru
  4. Ryo
  5. Metal Slug (Composite of a few different characters)
I'd love to see how many different franchises we could get in Smash period though, and would hope for some new companies as well haha.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
sure he doesn't have a perfect record, but he's more reliable than most
I don't think anyone is arguing that. But "most reliable" out of the people who don't know anything is still not someone I'm going to blindly listen too.

So when he says "FP5 isn't soandso" I don't consider that deconfirmed.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Has anyone ever made an Edelgard moveset? I think she’s happening but I want a moveset because those are what usually gets me excited for characters

D

Deleted member

Sora would be a top-tier way to end up the pass imo, dunno how they would surpass Pass 1 with his inclusion. Got already my most wanted in the pass with Hero and I like Joker (despite lack of SMT content like Jack Frost cameos) and Sora a lot despite not being my active wants. Terry is quite fun and while being meh on BK I can respect the choice.

I would miss @Bolderousness though :b

blackghost

Smash Champion
I'm just going to be clear:

Ike's games were absolutely failures in terms of sales; most of his popularity came from Smash and not from his own series until much later.

If we are talking about Joker and sales; FE:A, FE:Fates, and FE:3H are much more relevant then FE RD and FE PoR, which many would argue started the downfall of FE's already niche popularity.
then the FE fanbase officially confuses me nearly as much as dbz and star wars. the games is filled with characters they claim to hate sell 3 or 4 times better than the games with popular characters/ more popular storylines. Roy AND ike are carried by smash. thats funny. The fates inclusion in smash 4 looking even more clear. and three houses ever more likely to get in next group of fighters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Has anyone ever made an Edelgard moveset? I think she’s happening but I want a moveset because those are what usually gets me excited for characters
I've posted mine here before, so here's a link to it. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
then the FE fanbase officially confuses me nearly as much as dbz and star wars. the games is filled with characters they claim to hate sell 3 or 4 times better than the games with popular characters/ more popular storylines. Roy AND ike are carried by smash. thats funny. The fates inclusion in smash 4 looking even more clear. and three houses ever more likely to get in next group of fighters.
There's a lot of context to remember when it comes to the Tellius games.

At the time Path of Radiance released, Fire Emblem was still incredibly niche in the west, with only two previous games getting overseas releases. It also didn't help that instead of the GBA, which had a massive install base and portability as a draw, the GameCube didn't sell nearly as well, wasn't portable, AND the games were more expensive. So it had a much smaller pool of an already niche audience to draw from.

Then with Radiant Dawn, Nintendo sent the international release out to die. Not only was it a sequel to a game that didn't sell well, but they gave it zero marketing and had the brilliant idea to release it on the same day as the hidden indie gem SUPER MARIO GALAXY.

When Fire Emblem exploded in popularity after Awakening was actually marketed well, more people played them through emulation and got what the hype was about. Poor marketing (and by that, I mean nonexistent marketing) was the biggest reason PoR, Radiant Dawn, and Shadow Dragon sold poorly in the west (Shadow Dragon was at least a DS release of a remake so they didn't lose as much money as with the Tellius duology, but still).

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
No joke, I think Chrome Dinosaur is definitely a sleeper hit for characters that have a likely chance in Smash. I know it sounds bonkers, but the character I think ticks all the boxes personally:

- Very iconic due to existing on almost all PCs everywhere
- Is a Video Game character originally
- Would be out of left field (well, maybe not anymore since I'm mentioning the character? lol)
- And would very much be a Sakurai character. Y'know, the ones where he makes up movesets for, a la Duck Hunt and Piranha Plant. I think he loves doing that kind of stuff.

If revealed, it'd be a crazy inclusion, that's also third-party, but also very recognizable. Three boxes I think not a lot characters I feel tick as much anymore since we're getting down the bottom of the barrel imo.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Ok so I had an idea I don’t know if it’s dumb or not but here goes:
So I was making my “Most realistic” Smash Roster and was trying to think of ways to make everyone happy, I started by choosing characters that would make great Mii costumes(even though I didn’t want to do it to them) like Shovel Knight, Bomberman, Castle Crashers, Rayman, Freddy Fazbear, ETC and giving them a music track or 2
But then I went even further
What if every new mii costume(if you wore the complete set) added something new to their moveset? Like for example, the Bomberman brawler mii costume when using shot put would instead throw out a bomb, that would lie there until it explodes, but I made it so each mii costume has only one difference
Shovel Knights down air would be the iconic plunge
Freddys brawler counter animation would be a jumpscare
And stuff like that
I don’t know if this would ever or not but I really like this idea, I’m trying to make as many people happy as possible with this roster, like sakurai, if you guys have ideas for mii costume changes, please tell!

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
As for the Fighter Pass itself if Sora was last, I'm glad people are happy that they got who they wanted and so much more, but it sucks for me cause none of the characters I wanted are in Smash still.
If it can ease your pain, you're not the only one in this case, and I take into account the base roster. For now at least, since Sora would be the first one for me.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No joke, I think Chrome Dinosaur is definitely a sleeper hit for characters that have a likely chance in Smash. I know it sounds bonkers, but the character I think ticks all the boxes personally:

- Very iconic due to existing on almost all PCs everywhere
- Is a Video Game character originally
- Would be out of left field (well, maybe not anymore since I'm mentioning the character? lol)
- And would very much be a Sakurai character. Y'know, the ones where he makes up movesets for, a la Duck Hunt and Piranha Plant. I think he loves doing that kind of stuff.

If revealed, it'd be a crazy inclusion, that's also third-party, but also very recognizable. Three boxes I think not a lot characters I feel tick as much anymore since we're getting down the bottom of the barrel imo.
Who or what is Chrome Dinosaur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom