• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Are there any game series or potential characters that are very popular in China? I could see a reveal at that Chinese presentation if it's a character with massive appeal in China, the same way Terry has massive appeal in Latin America.

The closest such character I can think of off the top of my head would be a Starcraft character like Kerrigan, but I don't know if Starcraft is popular in China, or another country instead.
Getting the self-proclaimed Queen B**** of the Universe herself would be amazing, but I would associate Starcraft's popularity with South Korea more than China.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Are there any game series or potential characters that are very popular in China? I could see a reveal at that Chinese presentation if it's a character with massive appeal in China, the same way Terry has massive appeal in Latin America.

The closest such character I can think of off the top of my head would be a Starcraft character like Kerrigan, but I don't know if Starcraft is popular in China, or another country instead.
Starcraft sounds like Korea, though China is big on PC gaming due to consoles being banned for years. The one I've been pushing for is Reimu since China seems to be where Touhou is most popular after Japan. They even named a Flower after her.

D

Deleted member

Getting the self-proclaimed Queen B**** of the Universe herself would be amazing, but I would associate Starcraft's popularity with South Korea more than China.
Well..here's an old meme I got from an SNSD Facebook group:
FB_IMG_1532922092303.jpg

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Cool now just inspect-element your way through the process of elimination until Sabi reveals who Fighter 5 is I guess.

D

Deleted member

Cool now just inspect-element your way through the process of elimination until Sabi reveals who Fighter 5 is I guess.
Geez, as someone who is taking up HTML in her Computing Class, this sounds perfect for me to do.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
While we're getting closer to FP #5's reveal, let's keep the following points in mind:
  • According to the credible insiders' sources (Sabi and Verge) we won't see Crash, Tracer, Hayabusa, Doomguy, Geno, and Scorpion as FP #5, though they can show up later.
  • Don't rely on things from 4chan, even if they look very convincing. Almost everything there is **** posting from anons, so it is basically a troll's nest. I don't recommend going there in case there are actual spoilers (there were SwSh spoilers on there when those games were leaked).
  • I don't recommend watching leak speak videos on Youtube, as the "leaks" shown on there are of varying quality.
  • As seen earlier, someone made a fake Sabi statement on the next character. Reminder: Anyone can use Photoshop and/or Inspect Element.
  • It seems like the next fighter's identity is tightly-lipped, as they learned from the SNK leak. We will likely know like a day or two before their reveal.
  • Theories are fun to make, as they are part of the speculation, but in the end, we have to see if any of these theories are proven correct
  • We still have multiple DLC characters left. The characters after the conclusion of the Fighters pass could be anyone.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Here's a little game: if every company currently in Ultimate had 5 unique reps from different franchises, what characters would you give them?
Konami
Snake
Simon
Bill Rizer
Goemon
pass

Sega
Sonic
Bayonetta
Joker
Kiryu
pass

Bandai-Namco
Pac-Man
Nightmare
Heihaichi
pass
pass

Square-Enix
Cloud
Hero
Bub/Bob
Geno
Chrono

Microsoft
Banjo
Rash
Master Chief
pass
pass

SNK
Terry
SV-001 Metal Slug
Nakoruru
pass
pass

Capcom(picking up everyone else's passes)
Mega Man
Ryu
Arthur
Nathan Spencer
Jill Valentine
Morrigan
Viewtiful Joe
Amaterasu
Mike Haggar
Strider Hiryu
Phoenix Wright
Dante
Monster Hunter

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
While we're getting closer to FP #5's reveal, let's keep the following points in mind:
  • According to the credible insiders' sources (Sabi and Verge) we won't see Crash, Tracer, Hayabusa, Doomguy, Geno, and Scorpion as FP #5, though they can show up later.
  • Don't rely on things from 4chan, even if they look very convincing. Almost everything there is **** posting from anons, so it is basically a troll's nest. I don't recommend going there in case there are actual spoilers (there were SwSh spoilers on there when those games were leaked).
  • I don't recommend watching leak speak videos on Youtube, as the "leaks" shown on there are of varying quality.
  • As seen earlier, someone made a fake Sabi statement on the next character. Reminder: Anyone can use Photoshop and/or Inspect Element.
  • It seems like the next fighter's identity is tightly-lipped, as they learned from the SNK leak. We will likely know like a day or two before their reveal.
  • Theories are fun to make, as they are part of the speculation, but in the end, we have to see if any of these theories are proven correct
  • We still have multiple DLC characters left. The characters after the conclusion of the Fighters pass could be anyone.
Watch it turns out to be Gordon Freeman.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I believe your common sense is not so common when we have people that have leaked characters and content weeks to months ahead of schedule.
To deny all the instances of a leak being real would be to be willfully ignorant
Those are just correct guesses, and to believe otherwise is being willfully gullible.

There was an image of Sabi on Discord saying that Arthur from Ghosts 'n Goblins was going to be Fighter 5. Turns out it was fake.
Just because it's fake doesn't mean its not right tho!

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
So uhhh guys, Sabi just tweeted this and I think we're finally getting close to figuring out who the last Fighters Pass character is going to be.
peepee poopoo.PNG

Night Gale

Smash Ace
So uhhh guys, Sabi just tweeted this and I think we're finally getting close to figuring out who the last Fighters Pass character is going to be.
Time for another game of Gale Grasps at Straws. Let's break it down.

Peepee. 2P. Poopoo comes out the butt. 2B is synonymous with booty and 2P is a costume swap.

However, booty also means treasure. We treasure the friends we made along the way. Way. WayForward. They co-developed River City Girls. The publisher and other developer was Arc System Works. ASW is known for Guilty Gear. Sol. Sol means sun. Praise the sun. Dark Souls. Souls rhymes with Sol which takes us back to the sun. Sun Goddess. Okami. Okami is a play on words meaning great god and wolf. Wolf. Hungry Wolf. Terry. Terry confirmed.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Here's a little game: if every company currently in Ultimate had 5 unique reps from different franchises, what characters would you give them?

Konami: Snake, Simon, Bill Rizer, Frogger, Shiori Fujisaki
Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker, Kiryu, Axel Stone
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, Leon S. Kennedy, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright
Bandai-Namco: Pac-Man, Heihaichi, Lloyd Irving, Sophitia, KOS-MOS
Square-Enix: Cloud, Hero, Geno, Sora, Lara Croft
Microsoft: Banjo, Steve, Master Chief, Rash, Joanna Dark
SNK: Terry (as a Fatal Fury rep), Kyo Kusanagi (as a KoF rep), Nakoruru, Marco Rossi, Jeanne D'Arc
I'm extremely late on this but I want to get in on it anyway:

Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker, Kiryu and Sakura
capcom: Megaman, Ryu, Viewtiful joe, Phoenix wright, Frank west.
Namco: Pacman, Lloyd, Reiji, Jin, Klonoa
Square Enix: Cloud, Hero, Sora, Neku, Lara
Microsoft: Banjo, Master chief, Steve, Conker, Rash
SNK: Terry, Kyo, Ryo, Haomaru, Marco.

I have no knowledge of Konami outside of what's present in Smash.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
So has Sabi given any reason to believe her yet? I'm waiting and there's nothing. I'll be waiting 100 years and that's why I dont believe her anymore.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

SNK: Terry (as a Fatal Fury rep), Kyo Kusanagi (as a KoF rep), Nakoruru, Marco Rossi, Jeanne D'Arc
A bit late, but here goes:
Konami: Snake, Simon/Richter, Raiden, Bomberman, Alucard
Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker, Kazuma Kiryu, Arle Nadja
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu/Ken, Phoenix Wright, Dante, Leon/Chris/Claire/Jill (Leon's the face of the RE band and the other characters are alts ala Hero)
Bandai-Namco: Pac-Man, KOS-MOS, Lloyd, Agumon, Heihachi
Square Enix: Cloud, Hero, Lara Croft, Terra Branford, Sora
Microsoft: Banjo-Kazooie, Master Chief, Fulgore, Steve, Rash (I suppose)
SNK: Terry, Nakoruru, Marco/Tarma/Eri/Fio (See Leon's situation above), Athena Asamiya, Kyo Kusanagi
Yeah I broke the rules a bit as some are from the same franchises, but eh.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

SNK:

Terry Bogard
Kyo Kusanagi
Kusanagi
Kyo-1
Kyo-2

SKX31

Smash Master
With China, it'd probably be something like Dungeon Fighter Online or one of the more archaic types of MMOs...
I'm honestly not seeing those kinds of characters partly because they're only known in China / Asia and they usually have no presence elsewhere. It's very likely that Sakurai hasn't played them. If anything we'll likely to get a more "global" character if a character is revealed in China.

Really, China's a paradoxical region. It's shaped by the console ban, but also by the government's heavyhanded policies towards foreign companies and previously light hand towards Chinese. Also, computers etc. were really expensive. Those factors wound up creating the really big grey / black market (KOF really benefited from this), and ensured it'd be more worthwhile for companies to copy (It's ironic that FarmVille's a copy of a Chinese game, that said). I say previously because nowadays the government has somewhat turned on companies it previously supported (like Tencent) and become heavy Moral Guardians.

StarCraft's not as huge as WarCraft or Overwatch (especially WoW) is over there, but it still has a notable fanbase there. Overall Blizzard is loved there partly since Blizzard got early legal deals with Chinese distributors. In a time when very few could (I find it telling that Nintendo only managed to release its own version of the N64 there in 2003, circumventing the ban in a sneaky manner).

Other franchises that are incredibly popular / notable in China include (I'm probably missing some notable international ones too):

* KOF (already in Smash)
* A lot of stuff on Steam (this includes Undertale, which is already in). Partly because Steam has long completely avoided the censorship.
* MineCraft
* MOBAs
* Touhou
* Dynasty Warriors - anything based on Chinese literature has naturally an audience there.

There's quite a number of characters one could possibly reveal there and in a simultaneous worldwide presentation.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Ugh... Again... Leakers just speculate... Now people thinks certain characters are out because of their words... Good news! They are not! The true reality of the situation is that they don't have insiders at all... Why I know this? Common sense.

Let's suppose these insiders exists... Are you telling me these insiders casually break NDA to give info to these people? Why the need to risk their job for literally nothing at the expense of someone else's fame and reputation?

Wanna know my take in how Sabi's leaked E3? He is a journalist... Probably given the schedule of E3 in advance to make his "article" and drip-feed everything as the event goes on. Nah, Sabi directly leaks the entire schedule. I don't believe for a second this would get unnoticed... Some higher ups must be keeping an eye on Sabi, making sure he doesn't get any more info, or he just simply got blacklisted from being given sensible info by authorized people from events or from other companies.

For the life of me, I swear Sabi is no longer known for being a journalist, but a leaker... In fact, I haven't seen any article so far from him recently...

4- My point still stands... Sakurai admitted it was his pick, not because of popular demand. If people reacted positively, that's a bonus.

5- That's the thing. No one knows anything, I don't know Sakurai's plans, nor you or anybody else. Except a select few that are not only Sakurai's confidants (or close to business with him)... I'm 100% sure they speak Japanese only and will not just tell an American their secrets, so that American goes to that leaker to be robbed of their fame for absolutely nothing in exchange, lmao.
So, uh... does anyone have a "speculation" record of like 80% accuracy like Vergeben? Has anyone else "predicted" the entire Microsoft, Bethesda and SE E3 presentations like Sabi? Does anyone have a perfect, spotless "lucky guess" record like Shinobi?

Again, you're free to not like them or the drama that usually goes with leaker stuff (I certainly don't), but come on, man. That's opposite to common sense. You're just coming across as "they're saying a character I like isn't #5, so it has to be fake!"

For the stuff on Joker and TGA: it's not a matter of the character being requested or not. Compare the first three DLC packs: Joker, Hero and BK. Which one do you think would have a better response at TGA?

Joker's the obvious choice here - especially as he was still fresh in everyone's minds from Persona 5. Hero's appeal comes from Japan, for the most part, and DQXIS was only gonna be released 6 months from there, so it made little sense as a TGA reveal at that point in time. Banjo and Kazooie were a long time request... of the core community, which doesn't compose the main part of the audience.

That's why I think for TGA, it makes sense to not have someone with mostly regional appeal (like Reimu, for instance) or a request only Smash/core Nintendo fans care about (like Geno), but rather a character that will receive a standing ovation from the audience at TGA, like Joker did.

Plus, looking at past Smash reveals, they usually never end on a curveball (the fact that Bayonetta is the exception and not the rule should tell us enough). That's why I think it's a "safer" pick already on everyone's minds, like Joker was and like RE is now.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
So, uh... does anyone have a "speculation" record of like 80% accuracy like Vergeben? Has anyone else "predicted" the entire Microsoft, Bethesda and SE E3 presentations like Sabi? Does anyone have a perfect, spotless "lucky guess" record like Shinobi?

Again, you're free to not like them or the drama that usually goes with leaker stuff (I certainly don't), but come on, man. That's opposite to common sense. You're just coming across as "they're saying a character I like isn't #5, so it has to be fake!"

For the stuff on Joker and TGA: it's not a matter of the character being requested or not. Compare the first three DLC packs: Joker, Hero and BK. Which one do you think would have a better response at TGA?

Joker's the obvious choice here - especially as he was still fresh in everyone's minds from Persona 5. Hero's appeal comes from Japan, for the most part, and DQXIS was only gonna be released 6 months from there, so it made little sense as a TGA reveal at that point in time. Banjo and Kazooie were a long time request... of the core community, which doesn't compose the main part of the audience.

That's why I think for TGA, it makes sense to not have someone with mostly regional appeal (like Reimu, for instance) or a request only Smash/core Nintendo fans care about (like Geno), but rather a character that will receive a standing ovation from the audience at TGA, like Joker did.

Plus, looking at past Smash reveals, they usually never end on a curveball (the fact that Bayonetta is the exception and not the rule should tell us enough). That's why I think it's a "safer" pick already on everyone's minds, like Joker was and like RE is now.
So...
Lloyd?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Could be Minecraft unfortunately if it is an actual hint
I dunno, info regarding FP5 has been a tightly kept secret to the point it's easier to come up with what won't be in FP5 (so far that number of characters is at 8). If it was Minecraft stuff, it would've been one of the worst kept secrets regarding the DLC cycle since the Hero got leaked via datamines due to how often Minecraft showed up in speculation before we even knew there would be post pass DLC (if not earlier)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom