• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New, Better Dancedash?

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand. It doesn't seem like you gain ANY advantage over just plain walking.

The reason dash dancing was useful was because it kept you in the initial dash state, which had tons of advantages over normal dashing, and was way faster than just walking..
You sacrifice some horizontal momentum when you slow down and turn, but ALL of that momentum goes into your next movement. Thats why walking and this are the same speed, no momentum is lost, it is simply transferred onto another action. So you can stay clear of your opponents attack in your slow part, then do a fast walk to a counter attack.

And secondly, the Ice climbers have an Unbeatable approach with this. You can CW to popo ftilt to nana grab. Or CW to Popo d-smash, nana grab, and its a way to desynch in the middle of combat, its relatively fast compared to other de-snychs.

Talvi

Smash Journeyman
Looks useful, something to add to my list of things to learn.

Oh, PLEASE don't call it tart-trotting or ******-running or anything like that. Mental *********** isn't something to joke about like this. This name is gonna stick with the technique forever, keep that in mind.
So this will be Dancedash forever?

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Turning around also helps you blank some hitboxes, because characters' hurtboxes are usually further forward than they are behind. If you can just do this out of a walk anytime, there's no point of doing it repeatedly unless you want to fake out.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
LOOOOL brawl is turning out to be quite nice.

stupid AT has us all on coke

.....Man this **** looks ******** lol.

I'm gonna try this out soone or later, looks interesting what you could do for characters like the ICs and Weegee

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I say we don't give a name to everything eh? Soon we'll start calling stuff like suiciding "self inflicted killing"(SIK) "OH GOD, I JUST PERFORMED A SIK!!! OMG OMG!!!"

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I've done this for teh lulz for a while. Not really all that useful, but it is amusing.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't understand how we didn't find this before. This seems way too easy to overlook. Are we missing something here?
alot of people are still to used to melee, and some are too busy looking for things to hate about brawl instead of looking for good things.
Basically. Scrubs say that with a competitive community we've found everything. Yet we still find new things every week. Scrubs will be scrubs! :laugh:

Holy ****.

This just might be the anti-trip.

And crazywalking just might be the new wavedash.
No tripping=epic butt spex.

And for the name to end all naming, I have the best name idea ever.

REVERSE SURFING!!!

Or maybe just plain surfing! :laugh:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
So this will be Dancedash forever?
If that's what the community picks, yeah. Once the name is established it's very difficult to remove. Currently, we already have dashdancing so the name isn't established, but once we decide, pretty much it.

My vote is for waltzing btw.

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
So we're all trying to name it but how often will we use it?

I think we need more evidence of practicality. I mean..."surfing" with Link may be faster than his normal walk, but...how often are you walking?

Please prove me wrong this looks so cool

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

I think we need more evidence of practicality. I mean..."surfing" with Link may be faster than his normal walk, but...how often are you walking?

I think most important is the fact that you can effectively control when the movement is applied, so instead of walking the entire time, you can stand and then get a short burst (correct me if I misunderstood the tech). That has some nice spacing applications. Especially if you go backwards first.

So main usage will be spacing-based, it's not really the same category as dashdancing imo, serves a different purpose.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
LOL

I've been doing this instead of taunting for the last 2 weeks.

I do it much much faster though. Try it out with Zelda and you'll see what I mean.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Frate Beat me to ******** Walking/Trotting.
DAMZ
As SamuraiPanda said, if everyone recognises this ******** Walk is extremely useful, noobs will be laughing at us all day aabout how ******** we look playing.
This prevents Tripping, Desyncs ICs, is fsster than running for some characters.
Men, we have found what coulp probably be tjhe greatest achievement since discovering the Wavedash in Melee.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Hay guys. This = stutter step. Also, Gornel.

On a related note, I just realized that this is behind the mechanics for stutter stepping.
[edit] If noone understands why I think so:
If you're facing one direction, tilt the control stick in the opposite direction, and right when you tilt Jam your control stick in the original direction, you'll slide pretty far depending on what caracter you are.
And Stutter Step 1 is done by tapping back on the control stick and forward on the C-stick.
Stutter Step 3 ("full stutter step") is done by quickly tilting forward, smashing back on the control stick then pressing forward on C-stick.

On a random note, whatever happened to the Gornel?
>_>

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Frate Beat me to ******** Walking/Trotting.
DAMZ
As SamuraiPanda said, if everyone recognises this ******** Walk is extremely useful, noobs will be laughing at us all day aabout how ******** we look playing.
This prevents Tripping, Desyncs ICs, is fsster than running for some characters.
Men, we have found what coulp probably be tjhe greatest achievement since discovering the Wavedash in Melee.
If any n00b laughs at you, challenge him.

You'll end laughing at his johns: "No, you cheated by looking ******** while you played!"

In Spain, we have got a proberb that says: "The one that laughs latter, laughs better".

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but it seems much easier to do with tap-jump off and just sliding the control stick back and forth slightly from the up position.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

From what I've noticed, this is pretty useful for characters with quick Fsmashs and tilts. For example, I could easily see how Marth and Fox could could put this to good use.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I'm not sure whether to be incredibly happy at the chance of a new, possibly game changing AT, or cry at how ******** we'll all look doing this....LOL

But the prospect of this WHILE not having to worry about tripping is INCREDIBLY compelling....

The big question on my mind is...how EXACTLY is this going to change the game. Is this going go make brawl more campy? For example, can falco/fox/wolf fire lasers while keeping sliding momentum? What about other characters with projectiles?

Great find, I'm going to experiment with this a bit. Besides, people who don't learn about this and see people doing it are either going to COMPLETELY underestimate you, or get the **** scared outa them xD

Skybent

Smash Cadet
haha this shouldnt be called the new dash dance... it should just be called the new dance.
i love it.
think it will work just as good using dedede? i think it will for me. i gotta try.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
Or just walk pivoting. that's all it really is.

Wave dashing was just air dodging into the ground and sliding, but we didn't name ADITGAS, did we? Or even Air Dodge Slide. We named it Wavedash.

Something does not have to be named after the adjectives and verbs that describe it.

Besides, walk pivoting sounds lame.

ZonedOut

Smash Cadet
Call it TapDancing because you tap in opposite directions to get the spin. It also rolls off the tongue easily.

Cocoashadow

Smash Apprentice
Once I got used to this, it became a good way to get into shines with Fox. Faster than walking and it doesn't have the dash cooldown leads to funky shine antics and confused friends.
XD It looks so ******** though, it would be hilarious if this was in the metagame.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
Well you're not the first to know of this, just the first to make something of it. I remember having one [a vid] of pikachu but it was faster and i was like WTF!!!1111! saved it and eventually deleted it, thought nothing of it. But in terms of this as an AT or even a "better dance dash" i find offensive, there's no dash and dance... more of a waltz lol. But in my own defense I must be a classic old school type of dude, or from texas, but this is one bandwagon that i'm staying off of.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
**Post edited**

I took a look at this post and...wow. A lot of biting skepticism over a lulzy technique? It was really out of touch with the spirit of the thread (and the community) so I just did away with it. I've been playing a lot of Melee lately, so I took the Melee comparisons way too literally, forgetting completely to consider Waltzing in the context of Brawl instead of Melee. Also, I was a total douche. Many apologies. It won't happen again.

I suppose Waltzing is pretty similar to Dash Dancing in some respects - alternating back/forth movement, useful for spacing, no tripping, and relatively flexible for attacking. It just isn't as fast or as applicable.

Though many characters find little use for it, those that find more than that get big benefits (especially Ice Climbers, as ihatemybrother pointed out). I don't see Waltzing as universal, but I do see it as a character-specific technique - one that those characters' games may evolve around and adapt to as time progresses.

Sorry again for the hissy fit. Also, thanks to JonBeBonanza for humoring me - I'll shut up now. ^ ^

P.S. I still vote for Waltzing as the official name.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
more of a waltz lol
P.S. I vote for Waltzing as the official name.
P.P.S. Really. Nobody found my Parkinson's joke funny when I suggested J. Foxtrotting? Just an afterthought that I suppose I should let die.
P.P.P.S. After reading my own post, I'm not sure anymore. If someone can show me a video of a match where Waltzing makes a clear and consistent increase in performance throughout, I will shut up and concede.

If this ever does evolve (help us lord) i second the vote for waltzing.. though i am anti"waltzing". And i heard the J. Fox joke.... *clears throat* EL OH EL

Top Bottom