• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New, Better Dancedash?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I dunno. Tardtrotting doesn't look very useful for characters other than the ICs or Luigi. I should try this out sometime to see it for myself.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
Rofl regardless of whether or not this may end up being useful, it looks retardedly funny.

Oh, and naming it crazy walking would just lead to a bunch of c-walking jokes. Try something else if we ever decide this even needs a name. I'm sticking with "lol wtf" walking.

Galeon

Smash Ace
Wow, you guys are kinda frustrating.

This has been brought up by Tommy G earlier in this thread Spinning.

It seemed pretty useful to me but I find it funny how people were so quick to shrug it off then but now are making a fuss about it.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Spin Sliding was very similar to this. It chained Pivot Slides together and was essentially the same thing - turning around many times while walking in one direction. However, Spin Sliding was shrugged off because it was intended to be a fast walking alternative and later found to be no quicker. (Name of this Technique) doesn't look like it's trying to Pivot slide and is advertised as a Dash Dance alternative instead. I don't see the difference - (this technique) looks very much the same, just with a different intended purpose.

I feel that, in all fairness, I must raise the same objections here as I did in the Spin Sliding thread:

Yes, you can dash/walk/attack in any direction at any time with (this technique), but a normal forward walk allows you all of the same luxuries. (This Technique) offers no advantages over walking in either opportunity or speed. Is there something different that I'm failing to notice, or is this just an attempt to fake out people that don't understand that you can attack/move in any direction while walking regardless of where you're facing?

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Yeah, you can basically RAR at any time, or do an immediate f-smash, a sweeping d-smash, or turn then do all sorts of tilts (you're already tilting the stick properly for this anyway). That's awesome.

Galeon

Smash Ace
Spin Sliding was very similar to this, but was shrugged off because it was intended to be a fast walking alternative and later found to be no quicker. It chained Pivot Slides together and was essentially the same thing - turning around many times while walking in one direction.(Name of this Technique) doesn't look like it's trying to Pivot slide and is advertised as a Dash Dance alternative instead.

I feel that, in all fairness, I must raise the same objections here as I did in the Spin Sliding thread: Yes, you can dash/walk/attack in any direction at any time with (this technique), but a normal forward walk allows you all of the same luxuries. Is there something different that I'm failing to notice, or is this just an attempt to fake out people that don't understand that you can attack/move in any direction while walking regardless of where you're facing?
It's nowhere near as straight forward as walking. Comparing walking to this is effectively almost the same as comparing walking to dash dancing in melee imo. You'd still have the same options out of both but the free movement can be used offensively or defensively in spacing an approach while keeping the opponent under pressure.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
I was pretty interested in the way the Falco in the original vid used this. It was something like bair -> fast fall -> then c-walk into upsmash. I think this would be pretty useful for spacing after aerials, actually.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Its basically a dash dance that provides you a little slide and allows different options like attacking directly out of it

acv

Smash Journeyman
i think this is better than actual dashing since the speed difference isnt that much and on some characters its faster than dashing and you can actually do any attack out of it.btw i still think it should be called retardash.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This might actually be labeled as an AT? Really? That's hilarious! :laugh: I do this all the time when I'm in the Wifi Waiting room just to kill time if it's taking a little too long to find an opponent. Personally, I like doing it with Marth the most. Twirl, twirl, twirl, Fsmash. Twirl, twirl, twirl, ftilt. Twirl, twirl, twirl, multi-dolphin slash. :laugh:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Is there something different that I'm failing to notice, or is this just an attempt to fake out people that don't understand that you can attack/move in any direction while walking regardless of where you're facing?
I don't understand that you can attack in any direction while walking regardless of what direction you're facing.
Ftilts, Dtilts, Jabs, and Utilts all go in the direction you are when walking. You have to wait a millisecond to turn around before you can do those.

This technique could be really significant, and i don't think it will be limited to Luigi like Samurai thinks. Even if it is slightly slower than dashing for other characters, it only has to be faster than walking to be useful.
It has these benefits over dashing:
1. No tripping
2. You don't have to cancel the dash in order to do smashes, tilts, or jabs (he said you can manipulate how far you go with each turn, so if skillfully performed, you should be facing forward when you need ftilts and such)
3. Goes into a RAR perhaps just a tad faster.
4. Goes into the Crawl-reversal dash better.

Please don't call this Tardtrotting. I wouldn't call it a trot or a dash, because the move looks nothing like walking or running. Spinning sounds good to me. A name would be better if it avoided comparison to walking or running, and instead used words like "movement" or "traveling"

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Looks fantastic. this may become really important to play. It would depend on who you're playing as, however.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
TardTrotting gets my vote.

May be good for desyncing Ice climbers.

Not really practical, even though he is doing it at 2/3 speed it is painfully obvious to a human opponent as opposed to a standing computer. Every attack used out of the approach can be done better out of a single dash pivot or walk. The foward momentum Luigi gained was because you started out with a dash.

Leaves you vulnerable when you need to move away from opponent.

Jon64

Smash Cadet
I tested this out myself and I really dont see how this is advantegous as opposed to just walking and turning.

It's no faster than plain walking at all, and is in fact less versitle for spacing because with all that turning you're doing, you might just end up confusing yourself, or your may just not have enough room to do all the turns you need. With plain old walking you can just walk in one direction and turn the moment you need to. No need for all the spinning sillyness.

The only possible use I could see it for is to weird someone out. Otherwise, any oppertunity you think you could use this, you may as well just walk.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I'd been doing this with Diddy Kong for a while (or something similar).
It is pretty hilarious.

Crow!

Smash Lord
My vote for the name is "waltzing."

ihatemybrother, you assert that Link's version of this is faster than his dash. Can you give some data to support that? For each character that this is faster than even just ordinary walking this would be a credible technique, otherwise it's probably just a curiosity for ICs.

Edit: I tried timing myself with Link on Bride of Eldin. Admittedly my methods were not very precise, but I never got the walz to go faster than a simple walk, much less a dash. Is there something nonobvious I should be doing, or was the increased speed wishful thinking?

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol I was messing around against an AFK friend and I did it with G&W- I noticed that while turning I was moving forward @.@; I didn't get it to slide as much as some of those people in the video.

speaking of the video:

Falco's laser @ 2:04 made me laugh

RazeveX

Smash Ace
i hope people understand that this is useless.

Why?

Because its just walking and turning around.

Apart from looking pretty cool with some characters, it serves no purpose.

WALKING will ALWAYS be faster and easier than this, and you can do any attack out of walking. There's no need to turn around every second. In fact, you'd probably be more vulnerable worrying about not dashing and such.

And no, it isnt faster than link's dash.

Also, what are we looking for anyway? Dashdancing and fox trotting work fine for me in the rare cases i need them.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I might put a vid up of this done in a better way

EXAMPLE:

If you're facing one direction, tilt the control stick in the opposite direction, and right when you tilt Jam your control stick in the original direction, you'll slide pretty far depending on what caracter you are.

i hope people understand that this is useless.

Why?

Because its just walking and turning around.

Apart from looking pretty cool with some characters, it serves no purpose.

WALKING will ALWAYS be faster and easier than this, and you can do any attack out of walking. There's no need to turn around every second. In fact, you'd probably be more vulnerable worrying about not dashing and such.

And no, it isnt faster than link's dash.

Also, what are we looking for anyway? Dashdancing and fox trotting work fine for me in the rare cases i need them.
Thats not the point. In Melee wavesashing usually wan't faster than just running.

The reason this MIGHT be useful is because instead of walking forward at a regular pace, you shoot forward kind of like a sling shot. This could be used for mind games.

shanus

Smash Hero
this is pure lol. i hope its useful just for the sake of how ridiculous this looks.

if not, just do it across the stage as luigi into a taunt and its still win.

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I hope this becomes big in Brawl, because then we'll all look like ******* trying to spin in our little fantasy worlds. 10chars

Adapt

Smash Lord
I've done this before, I just never really found a use for it. Desyncing the ICs is something I didn't try though

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Still, the AT screams "I'm an idiot" right before you beat them down.
Definantly has some huge mindgame potential, even with no practical uses.

Of course, crouch dancing (crouching and standing to the beat of the background music) also has mindgame potential and screams "I'm an idiot"...

usea

Smash Ace
I don't understand. It doesn't seem like you gain ANY advantage over just plain walking.

The reason dash dancing was useful was because it kept you in the initial dash state, which had tons of advantages over normal dashing, and was way faster than just walking.

You can do anything out of walking, however, including slowing down or turning around at ANY time. There's no reason to periodically turn around. If you want to fake out an opponent you can stop, slow down, or turn around or whatever, with no penalty at all; there's no reason to keep doing it. You don't have to "keep up" any kind of animation like dash dancing.

There is absolutely no purpose to this that I can see. Walking is great, I do it all the time. But turning around constantly serves no purpose.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Looks useful, something to add to my list of things to learn.

Oh, PLEASE don't call it tart-trotting or ******-running or anything like that. Mental *********** isn't something to joke about like this. This name is gonna stick with the technique forever, keep that in mind.

Top Bottom