• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Fastest?

I'd guess neutral air off the top of my head...

Down's gotta be slowest. But it's still so good.

Neon Ness

Jigglypuff is not as easy as it might seem at first sight. Ness and Jigglypuff are both aerialists, but the Puff has greater mobility and control than Ness in the air. Whereas Ness is about hitting hard a few times with great precision, I see Jigglypuff as being more agile and evasive, racking up damage with several weaker attacks. Also, if Jigglypuff gets you offstage, the Wall of Pain makes it tough to get back since PK Thunder 2 can only go so far... Forward air is one of our best options here (what else is new?) to interrupt a potential Wall of Pain, and it's probably best for us to shy away from attacks that leave Ness vulnerable like PK Flash and PK Thunder 2 setups, lest we get careless and fall prey to a Drill Rest. The thing about Jigglypuff is that it's really light, and Ness' attacks hit so hard that he can really end a stock pretty early if he takes control of the fight. Thunder juggling works wonders against a floaty character like Jigglypuff since she's in the air so often.

Popertop

Smash Champion
ahh I see.
I have a pretty good Ness where I live we're gonna play it out soon.

I'm thinking the off stage game tips it in jiggs favor.

_clinton

Smash Master
Meh...it isn't like Ness' off stage game is bad...just limited to Jiggs (but what else is new when it comes to the words off stage and Jiggs?) for how long Ness can stay out (again...what else is new when it comes to Jiggs) and while the PKT is the main reason why people call Ness' recovery gimpable...the truth is...proper use of his airs and that stuff before he is open will for the most part make it harder to gimp...although Jiggs does have a somewhat easier time at screwing it sometimes IMO...due to her "flying"

Still...Ness beats Jiggs in air priority (what else is new when it comes to Jiggs losing any offense match in the air? What with her great attack reach of course ^_^)

Still...Ness does have an ok anti air game himself (his retreating Fair pretty much is equal to G&W's retreating Bair for one thing and he does have others besides that of course) so its not like Jiggs can just run around him with her blinding air speed...I don't see Flash as a bad thing though...the recovery time on it is enough to make it somewhat hard to Drill Rest IMO...

Anyway...bye for now

Popertop

Smash Champion
but if we stay close we can just rest you when you start it up.
and if you just fair all day I'll shield grab you from the air.
also, Pound I believe will beat Fair.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
I'm not sure about the pound, but I'm certain that Ness' fair outprioritizes all of Jigg's aerials. Also, a retreated fair by Ness is difficult to shield grab, so good luck with that. But Jigg's does have the advantage off stage. WoP is so annoying. When you are playing your friend, if you can gimp his second jump, he will have a very difficult time getting back to the stage. If he is using PK Thunder to recover, you can WoP him even more (BUT ONLY if you're at the right place at the right time, if you react to slow... you get PKT2 in the face)

Ness vs. Jigglypuff is always a fun match-up :)

Gaussis

Smash Ace
but if we stay close we can just rest you when you start it up.
and if you just fair all day I'll shield grab you from the air.
also, Pound I believe will beat Fair.
Just a few things. Shield grabbing fair is hard if it's retreated or spaced well, which will be the main use of this move. Pound will only beat fair if it starts before it and right next to it.

Ness will use his projectiles when he hits or throws Jiggly away to abuse the time she is in the air. PKT is something she should watch out for especially at this point.

A little other thing: Ness has disjoints on bair and uair as well. Jigglypuff will be hard-pressed to use her mobility to her advantage. Still though, Jiggly still has a fairly decent matchup against Ness. I would say a 55:45 Ness here.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Here's a question I never thought I'd ever have to ask. Is it possible to safely escape Donkey Kong's grab release? I've been able to spot dodge but that's about it. DK is tough for me as it is and now I fought someone who is just too tough.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Supposedly EIDI works. For DK, abuse his big frame by throwing out well-placed fairs. Remember that he gets shield stabbed, most notably PK Fire, as shown in Ref's video against Bum. I feel that you have to play Ness a little different against DK. You can't devote to an aggression for too long because he can hurt.

Neon Ness

Question.

How do you guys fight Snake?

There's a Snake that I fought last Saturday and I got annihilated. TWICE. I literally was in the 50s in percentage before I realized it. When I get close, he tilts me into oblivion. When I keep my distance, the grenades, they are a-flyin'.

Is there nothing to be done in this matchup?

Masky

Smash Master
Question.

How do you guys fight Snake?

There's a Snake that I fought last Saturday and I got annihilated. TWICE. I literally was in the 50s in percentage before I realized it. When I get close, he tilts me into oblivion. When I keep my distance, the grenades, they are a-flyin'.

Is there nothing to be done in this matchup?
It's too hard for Ness, just use Pikachu!! :pikachu2:

Popertop

Smash Champion
Just a few things. Shield grabbing fair is hard if it's retreated or spaced well, which will be the main use of this move. Pound will only beat fair if it starts before it and right next to it.

Ness will use his projectiles when he hits or throws Jiggly away to abuse the time she is in the air. PKT is something she should watch out for especially at this point.

A little other thing: Ness has disjoints on bair and uair as well. Jigglypuff will be hard-pressed to use her mobility to her advantage. Still though, Jiggly still has a fairly decent matchup against Ness. I would say a 55:45 Ness here.
uh huh, that's basically what I thought about the matchup.
I think I have a few tricks to deal with Fair though.
If I could find ways around Marths Fair... :laugh:

Neon Ness

It's too hard for Ness, just use Pikachu!! :pikachu2:
That's just crazy enough to work! *sprints to Training Mode*

I guess it would be wise to use one of my secondaries for Snake, though... Mario should do well, his cape can fend off projectiles well, at least...

Gaussis

Smash Ace
uh huh, that's basically what I thought about the matchup.
I think I have a few tricks to deal with Fair though.
If I could find ways around Marths Fair... :laugh:
Wait, you can find a way around an attack with a lasting hitbox, but not with that? :laugh:

Not sure how that works, but ok.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Well according to Mow, Ness had the slight advantage on Jiggs in melee since he had two combos on her (one getting to her to a percent, the other one then could kill her). Offstage game isn't a really good argument since that just means Jiggs and Ness live to same percents (she dies early vs. him thanks to bair, a non-stale nair, and b-throw), plus Jiggs cannot edgeguard Ness' dj that well. Pkt = death, but that true vs. everybody lolz. Ness outranges Jiggs with fair, but if she's good at spacing, she can predict that and fair him.

It's even IMO. It's not really character dependent, but more of the skill of the person using them.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Wait, you can find a way around an attack with a lasting hitbox, but not with that? :laugh:

Not sure how that works, but ok.
No i meant I found a couple ways around Marth's Fair.
And that ways around your Fair could be found, like a particular spacing trick and what have you.

Neon Ness

Near Christmas Bump?

Serious question, though. How do you guys follow up a jab lock? The opponent is on the ground, so I'd think it would be best to use a low, strong attack. For Mario and Sonic I follow up with down smash. But Ness' Yo-Yo is pretty weak for a jab lock follow up... And he doesn't really have any other low strong attacks. So... yeah. What do you guys usually do?

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Jab lock then D tilt twice after some time and unleash a F smash right away.

Neon Ness

But wouldn't forward smash go right above them? And I don't think Ness can angle his side smash downward...

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
It won't go above them I do this all the time in tourney matches.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
I'd say end it with SH Nair or a quick turn around d-smash.
I tried ending it with fsmash, the opponent gets up too quickly for me. Maybe I just suck?

Uffe

Smash Hero
It does, but it also throws him up which can leave you open if your opponent is on the side or below you.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
You know, I've been having some issues with uair. I've posted this several times before, but seriously, Zelda's friggen dair will trade hits or override it, even if you don't sweetspot it.

I don't know if that small dair just happens to not give a crap about any other attack (as it is jointed) or if it just reaches Ness's hurtbox before Ness's uair touches Zelda's hurtbox.

Levitas

the moon
lol, you and your zelda.

Try attacking zelda from a keypad 1 or 3 spacing as opposed to a 2. That's how you can get around a lot of attacks in general.

For that matter, usually that's the angle you want to hit with ness's fair, too. and against a grounded opponent as marth, hit the air right in front of their faces (their 9 or 7) with a fair and retreat. And for lucas, hit their close upper side with a nair, and if they shield, make them guess whether or not you're gonna cross them up and autocancel it into a jab combo. And for Pikachu, hold L as you enter the stage select screen to turn into anther and use the fair to poke at the same diagonal angles and QAC around because you're awesome like that.

um... yeah... got a little off topic for a sec there...

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Try attacking zelda from a keypad 1 or 3 spacing as opposed to a 2. That's how you can get around a lot of attacks in general.
It's probably obvious, but is this some new science language for cyan people?

Keypads...?

Levitas

the moon
no, forward, back, up, and down are the correct terms. I was just trying to make it more visible to someone than saying "diagonal".

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Um... I think my keypad is reversed lol. Are you saying to hit when my opponents are below me? (I already know that you should space it similarly to fair, but a picture of a keyboard with your config would be clear to everybody).

http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=43000

Some pics of Ness' constipation filled uair (and some interesting pics showing its hitbox).

Levitas

the moon
Um... I think my keypad is reversed lol. Are you saying to hit when my opponents are below me? (I already know that you should space it similarly to fair, but a picture of a keyboard with your config would be clear to everybody).

http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=43000

Some pics of Ness' constipation filled uair (and some interesting pics showing its hitbox).
Nope. The numpad is on their body, not yours. You want them above you at an angle w/ ness usually.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I think Ness' U air hits earlier from behind I'm too lazy to test right / I have to go to bed soon.

Levitas congrats on smash researcher... (I wonder why I wasn't accepted... )

Top Bottom